PDA

View Full Version : So I just got a book on the History of Yugoslavia

royalfan5
9/14/2006, 08:23 AM
The subtitle, Twice there was a Country

Heh.

Either way, Yugoslavia was an interesting case.

usmc-sooner
9/14/2006, 08:32 AM
Yugoslavia has a history?

sanantoniosooner
9/14/2006, 08:33 AM
http://www.mcnabbs.org/peter/pics/yugo.jpg

royalfan5
9/14/2006, 08:36 AM
Yugoslavia has a history?
Any country that was run by Tito, has a fun history. The guy managed to get his communist country kicked out of the eastern bloc, was saved by Truman, sort of introduced a market economy, then scrapped it, and held together a country of people who don't particularly like each other. Fun times.

Widescreen
9/14/2006, 08:39 AM
http://freeweb.deltha.hu/zastava.in.hu/floridaw.jpg
Yugoslavia is dead to me.

Edit: SAS beat me to it. :P

sanantoniosooner
9/14/2006, 08:41 AM
Edit: SAS beat me to it. :P
Only by 6 minutes.:D

Widescreen
9/14/2006, 08:51 AM
Darn my slow GIS-skillz. :mad:

SoonerProphet
9/14/2006, 09:20 AM
Still some interesting things going over there now. Has been a push as of late on the status of Kosovo and the Bosnian Serbs. I say we arm the Serbs and let them deal with Izetbegovic's cronies in Bosnia and the KLA in Kosovo.

As for the book, any interesting tidbits on the Ustashi?

royalfan5
9/14/2006, 09:22 AM
Still some interesting things going over there now. Has been a push as of late on the status of Kosovo and the Bosnian Serbs. I say we arm the Serbs and let them deal with Izetbegovic's cronies in Bosnia and the KLA in Kosovo.

I haven't started it quite yet. I just leafed through it quickly. It seemed pretty thorough though.

Widescreen
9/14/2006, 09:35 AM

Well.. first of all, I think that any instability in that first country that you mentioned, is troubling.. and clearly the second guy who spoke of, he beat the first guy. Now, personally, I favor seeking the diplomatic help of the person I'm gonna call "Guy #3". But I'm not going to pronounce any of their names tonight, because I don't believe that's in our national interest.

OklahomaTuba
9/14/2006, 09:46 AM
Hopefully Iraq never gets as bad as that place did. Although, it would force us to take a side and deal, which might not be a bad thing at this moment.

royalfan5
9/14/2006, 09:48 AM
Hopefully Iraq never gets as bad as that place did. Although, it would force us to take a side and deal, which might not be a bad thing at this moment.
I guess it would be as bad or worse if we had withdrawn already.

SoonerProphet
9/14/2006, 12:38 PM
Well.. first of all, I think that any instability in that first country that you mentioned, is troubling.. and clearly the second guy who spoke of, he beat the first guy. Now, personally, I favor seeking the diplomatic help of the person I'm gonna call "Guy #3". But I'm not going to pronounce any of their names tonight, because I don't believe that's in our national interest.
:confused:

Widescreen
9/14/2006, 01:10 PM
:confused:
It's from an SNL skit of the 2000 presidential debate. That was line spoken by Bush (Will Farrell) when they asked him about foreign policy in Africa.

SoonerProphet
9/14/2006, 03:36 PM
It's from an SNL skit of the 2000 presidential debate. That was line spoken by Bush (Will Farrell) when they asked him about foreign policy in Africa.

Obviously I missed that skit.

KaiserSooner
9/14/2006, 11:40 PM
Any country that was run by Tito, has a fun history. The guy managed to get his communist country kicked out of the eastern bloc, was saved by Truman, sort of introduced a market economy, then scrapped it, and held together a country of people who don't particularly like each other. Fun times.

Definitely an interesting history. And one that goes back before Tito. The South Slavs had so much to do with the beginnings of WWI, and it was a region that the Austrians, Italians, Hungarians, and Ottoman Turks, frequently sparred over.

In the run up to WWI, it was more the Austrians and their Austro-Hungarian Empire that was the "evil-doer" in the region, which focused much South Slavic angst against the Hapsburg's aging and fragile empire.....and it was through the post-WWI euphoria of nationalism (stirred up by Wilson), which spread contagiously through the stateless nations of eastern Europe at the time, that led to the creation of a country united under the Serbian king. At the time it was known as the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes....but sometime in the late 20s/30s they invented the term Yugoslavia, so as to replace that long and clumsy name.

proud gonzo
9/15/2006, 12:00 AM
Yugo the human cannonball??