PDA

View Full Version : Not O'Connell's Please!

wishbonesooner
9/13/2006, 09:55 PM
Looks like our Irish Pub may go the way of Denco's. Sad.

Jello Biafra
9/13/2006, 09:57 PM
Looks like our Irish Pub may go the way of Denco's. Sad.

?

badger
9/13/2006, 09:58 PM
OU Regents approved the land purchase today. Did you know that area with the entire shopping center (O'Connell's, Subway, etc) is worth $4.5 million?

Oh yeah, and the houses south of there are now also university property. Beware, St. Thomas More. You could be next!

snp
9/13/2006, 10:02 PM
South Oval.

goingoneight
9/13/2006, 10:24 PM
I guess we'll have to have beer in the stadium from now on... Sheesh, what's this world coming to. :mad:

:D

UNSeeN_
9/13/2006, 10:32 PM
First the Fat Boys break up, and now THIS. There's nothing to believe in anymore!

Soonerus
9/13/2006, 10:37 PM
This will shift more of the crowd to Campus Corner....

sooneron
9/13/2006, 10:49 PM
Hell, OConnell's was a sad sight last Sat. The crowd has shifted.

Alum81
9/13/2006, 11:20 PM
Denco's.
Now that brings back memories....
I'll have the Denco Darlin' with two lookin at me!

Soonerus
9/14/2006, 12:46 AM
I quit going to O'Connells years ago because it is frankly just out of the way....

Readyfor8
9/14/2006, 12:52 AM
Whats most retarded about this is the fact that they are going to make it a parking garage. Who in gods name is going to park there besides Gamedays?

The closest dorms are Bud Wilkinson. The closest classrooms are Gaylord Hall. The closest open student facility is The Huffman. All of which have adequate parking and none of which are reasonably close to anything most of the students use.

INCREASE PARKING OFF ELM AND CLOSER TO SARKEYS. Jeez whats so hard?

stonecoldsoonerfan
9/14/2006, 07:12 AM
8-will you PLEASE quit making so much sense? it hurts my brain.

Miko
9/14/2006, 08:23 AM
Denco's.
Now that brings back memories....
I'll have the Denco Darlin' with two lookin at me!

That's what I'm talking about!!!!:pop:

I used to annually post a request for the recipe for that monster. Best hangover remedy known to man.:cool:

snp
9/14/2006, 08:27 AM
Whats most retarded about this is the fact that they are going to make it a parking garage. Who in gods name is going to park there besides Gamedays?

The closest dorms are Bud Wilkinson. The closest classrooms are Gaylord Hall. The closest open student facility is The Huffman. All of which have adequate parking and none of which are reasonably close to anything most of the students use.

INCREASE PARKING OFF ELM AND CLOSER TO SARKEYS. Jeez whats so hard?

Since when did they announce what they're planning to build there?

And no, there's not adequate parking for class. Unless you call arriving 30 minutes early just to make sure you have a spot adequate.

Boomer.....
9/14/2006, 08:34 AM

And no, there's not adequate parking for class. Unless you call arriving 30 minutes early just to make sure you have a spot adequate.

They are planning on building a parking garage there. It has been discussed for a while, but they could not decide on a place. It will be for the students, since all of the parking around Sarkeys will be faculty parking due to the new engineering buildings.

stoopified
9/14/2006, 08:42 AM
End of yet another era.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/14/2006, 09:06 AM

Don't forget the 30 minute fight through traffic if you accidently hit the lights wrong on Lindsay!

start8
9/14/2006, 09:29 AM
Rumor has it that O'Connell's is moving to Al's spot and Al's is moving to Bricktown.

I love O'Connells but everything has moved north-where parking is slightly better-NOT!

lukin254
9/14/2006, 09:41 AM
there goes OU again forcing the greatest people on earth out of their rightful domains... jesus, i guess the gaylords are running the athletic department now...........

where's the outcry from the news stations and papers telling about all the horrors with which 6 people are now facing... you know, their uncle bill built the house in '38 and, even though they haven't done anything to add to the home since then, they were sure planning on it and now the university is forcing them out of it and they'll have nowhere to live... plus they got screwed out of the value.... those bastards!!

OUmillenium
9/14/2006, 09:59 AM
First the Fat Boys break up, and now THIS. There's nothing to believe in anymore!

talkin bout...my nuts(echo)!

Boomer.....
9/14/2006, 10:10 AM
there goes OU again forcing the greatest people on earth out of their rightful domains... jesus, i guess the gaylords are running the athletic department now...........

where's the outcry from the news stations and papers telling about all the horrors with which 6 people are now facing... you know, their uncle bill built the house in '38 and, even though they haven't done anything to add to the home since then, they were sure planning on it and now the university is forcing them out of it and they'll have nowhere to live... plus they got screwed out of the value.... those bastards!!

I don't think that they are making anyone move. They are only taking over the commercial businesses, no residential area.

Taxman71
9/14/2006, 10:12 AM
I would sell that place for $4.5 mil if offered. Even the few people who still go there for games only do so 6 times a year. Plus, you have to walk your *** off to get there anyway.

badger
9/14/2006, 10:13 AM
All righty, you green beer lovers, here's the story:

The OU Board of Regents approved the acquisition of 17 properties on Jenkins, Brooks and Lincoln avenues at a price to be set by independent third-party appraisal. Regents met Wednesday morning at Rogers State University in Bartlesville.

OU President David Boren said the houses include most properties along Jenkins from Lindsey Street to St. Thomas More Catholic Church. He said the properties were “voluntarily sold” and not acquired through eminent domain.

“Rarely do you have the opportunity to acquire a property close (to campus),” Boren said. “It just gives us greater options of what to do along Jenkins.”

A second proposal, also approved by regents, calls for the purchase of 2.3 acres at the corner of Jenkins Avenue and Lindsey Street, where several businesses are located. Boren said the university will honor existing leases on all acquired property, but use of the land after that is still to be determined.

“We might decide to put an academic building there, we might decide to put faculty offices there, we might put parking there,” Boren said. “There’s several possibilities, but nothing dramatic is going to happen there in the short term.”

Jeff Stewart, contacted later Wednesday, is the owner of O’Connell’s Irish Pub and Grill, on the corner of Lindsey and Jenkins. He said the restaurant has been there since 1968 and he has owned it since 1979.

“I’m not eager to move, that’s for sure,” Stewart said. “I guess, like all of us on the corner, I would like to know where they stand.”

Stewart said his lease runs through October 2007. If he is forced to relocate, Stewart said he already has had offers to move to Bricktown in Oklahoma City and Campus Corner.

“I’d want to stay in Norman if I could and stay in the campus area,” Stewart said. “It’s amazing on game day and campus activities to see those kids come back.”

Boren said the OU Foundation already entered into a purchase agreement for the corner property.

However, the university also will let some property go in the area. Parkview Apartments, across from the Duck Pond on Lindsey Street, will be demolished to improve property value. Boren said the property would then be sold based on future use and OU revenue stream.

“We won’t sell it unless it’s a beneficial use to the university,” Boren said.

Boren said ideal use of the land would be an alumni village, because of its proximity to Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. He said he would not mind seeing the Duck Pond extended across Lindsey through a bridge to the property. However, he said it was highly unlikely that the property would turn into more student housing.

And there you have it. Land on Jenkins is valuable, whereas land across from the Duck Pond, about a few steps away from Jenkins, is not. :)

opksooner
9/14/2006, 10:57 AM
Miko, check the SO for a darlin' receipe.

snp
9/14/2006, 11:12 AM
They are planning on building a parking garage there. It has been discussed for a while, but they could not decide on a place. It will be for the students, since all of the parking around Sarkeys will be faculty parking due to the new engineering buildings.

Got a source? Because every article I've seen has said they have no plans yet.

DrZaius
9/14/2006, 11:27 AM
Back when I lived there in the 80's O Connels was a gay bar. Looks like it has not changed. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

FlatheadSooner
9/14/2006, 11:41 AM
I quit going to O'Connells years ago because it is frankly just out of the way....

But I thought that was the closest place to get a beer - from the stadium? Used to run over there at halftime and chug a few.
:pop:

soonerboy_odanorth
9/14/2006, 12:15 PM
If this was a first step in a move to to relocate the All-American walk and one of the practice fields so that they could bowl in or otherwise expand the south end zone, how many of you would object?

Taxman71
9/14/2006, 12:39 PM
But I thought that was the closest place to get a beer - from the stadium? Used to run over there at halftime and chug a few.
:pop:

All that ended on 9/11/01 (or at least that was the excuse from the OU admin).

Boomer.....
9/14/2006, 01:05 PM
Got a source? Because every article I've seen has said they have no plans yet.

I have no link. This is just what I have heard for a while. Also, as part of my transportation class at OU a year ago, they had us work on a project to build a parking garage somewhere on campus. Each group was given a different proposed location and one of those was at Lindsey and Jenkins. OU was going to use the data as part of there final decision. There is just not enough student parking around campus, and another parking lot isn't the answer.

Readyfor8
9/14/2006, 01:15 PM

Dude SNP, why in gods name would anyone park there for class? No commuter would anyway, not when if you have classes on the South End of Campus, you can park at the Fock pretty easy. Or if you have classes on the North End of Campus you park at Elm.

Currently there is no parking for Sarkeys and the Northwest Campus area. But I'll be damned if they didn't just put a parking garage for the Engineering Students(me) on the other end of the freakin stadium.

I love our stadium but walking around it on non Gamedays is annoying.

Boomer.....
9/14/2006, 01:20 PM
I'm with you. I'm just glad I graduated when I did (May 06) so that I don't have to deal with this mess.

Readyfor8
9/14/2006, 01:32 PM
They should really open up the OMU garage for Commuters, and make the LindseyJenkins garage for visitors. Make them walk. As it stands you wait 30 minutes for a spot at Elm or you park and walk for 30 minutes, it's not going to save any time.

That or build a fricken garage in the Sarkey Parking Lot, talk about boon to OU economy. Gameday cash parking, access for Engineering Students and faculty, with plenty of room to build.

Boomer.....
9/14/2006, 01:44 PM
A parking garage in the Sarkeys parking lot would be ideal for all.

Rhino
4/3/2007, 02:57 PM
It's been rumored for awhile, but it's definitely moving into Al Eschbach's old location on Campus Corner.

O'Connell's Pub to make move to new location (http://www.newsok.com/article/3029264/)
Owner plans for fun at Campus Corner
By James S. Tyree
Staff Writer

NORMAN — The owner of O'Connell's Irish Pub and Grille said the Lindsey Street location will close Dec. 31 of this year, but not before opening a new O'Connell's this summer on Campus Corner.

Jeff Stewart plans to sign an agreement within the next few days that would put O'Connell's on the Corner at 769 Asp Ave., occupied most recently by Al Eschbach's Sports Bar and Grill.

"We haven't finalized the lease, but we're 95 percent of the way there,” Stewart said.

Once the lease is signed, Stewart figures it would take about two months to get the location remodeled and ready for business. He hopes that will happen in June, though a July opening is possible.

The original O'Connell's will stay open until Dec. 31. Stewart said the University of Oklahoma sent letters about one month ago to him and other tenants in the Lindsey Street and Jenkins Avenue area saying they must vacate by that date.

The University of Oklahoma Foundation bought a 2.3-acre portion of that block last September, on behalf of OU, for $4.5 million.

"I don't know what we're going to do on New Year's Eve,” he said, "but I'm sure it will have one big party.”

O'Connell's had such a party Saturday during its final St. Patrick's Day bash at the original location, where an estimated 8,000 people came and went throughout the day and night. The parking lot and restaurant were continuously filled with patrons, and lines of people waiting to get in often stretched down to Jenkins Avenue.

St. Patrick's Day celebrations are a well-known tradition at O'Connell's, which opened in 1968. Stewart bought the business in 1979, one year after graduating from college.

The business also is a popular pre- and post-game destination for many fans attending OU football games. This fall, there will be two O'Connell's to choose from — the original at 120 E Lindsey St., and O'Connell's on the Corner.

Stewart said he plans to drop the "on the Corner” from the Campus Corner location's name once the original pub closes.

The new O'Connell's will have about 6,000 square feet, compared to the original's 3,700 square feet, and Stewart said the business will become part of the Campus Corner scene. He foresees a "St. Patrick's on the Corner” celebration, for instance, that can include other Campus Corner businesses.

But Stewart said the new location also will retain the same atmosphere as at Lindsey Street. Furnishings, decorations and memorabilia from Lindsey Street, some of which is in storage, will be on display at Campus Corner.

He also plans to solicit e-mails from customers who describe their experiences at O'Connell's over the years, so they can be part of the transition.

Stewart said "we just want to have fun with the transition” while coming to grips with a tradition coming to an end.

"I think for people who have come here regularly, it's going to be a real tough time walking out of here on that last day,” Stewart said,

"And to say goodbye to history.”

Boomer.....
4/3/2007, 03:08 PM
Patty's Day will never be the same. :(

Collier11
4/3/2007, 03:12 PM
Patty's Day will never be the same. :(

no doubt, now you have to be fearful that you will get too drunk on patty's and stumble into sugers...blahhhttt!!!! SCARES ME!

Boomer.....
4/3/2007, 03:21 PM
no doubt, now you have to be fearful that you will get too drunk on patty's and stumble into sugers...blahhhttt!!!! SCARES ME!
:D

Rhino
4/3/2007, 03:30 PM
Having O'Connell's move into Campus Corner will probably be the best thing to happen to Campus Corner, business-wise.

Of course, there's no place to park.

sooner518
4/3/2007, 03:34 PM
glad Al Eschbachs is leaving. I always hated that place.

not that it concerns me since I live 1000 miles from Norman, but still....

and OU better not ever buy The Library. That's sacred ground

PrideTrombone
4/3/2007, 03:35 PM
I met the owner of the Service Station this past summer and he told me everything that was gonna go down back in July. I've been really surprised at how accurate he was. I was skeptical at first.

snp
4/3/2007, 03:39 PM
They better fix their shuffle board table or ELSE

Cue the beginning of another parking garage discussion.

Rhino
4/3/2007, 03:44 PM
glad Al Eschbachs is leaving. I always hated that place. It actually left a few months back. It was rumored to be moving to the Bricktown area, but haven't heard anything about it since.

Paperclip
4/3/2007, 03:53 PM
It actually left a few months back. It was rumored to be moving to the Bricktown area, but haven't heard anything about it since.

I think it's already there. On the canal opposite Bourbon Street Cafe.

yermom
4/3/2007, 04:00 PM
Having O'Connell's move into Campus Corner will probably be the best thing to happen to Campus Corner, business-wise.

there's barely anywhere to park anyway

a parking lot by Sarkeys would be teh win

what are they going to do with Padthai???

GottaHavePride
4/3/2007, 04:08 PM
what are they going to do with Padthai???

I'm really hoping for "throw Jimmy John's out on its ear and put Pad Thai there".

soonervegas
4/3/2007, 04:14 PM

Put me in the camp of being glad that O'Connell's is moving to Campus Corner. It is about time us Northies stole it from those dirty Southies.

GottaHavePride
4/3/2007, 04:15 PM
I go to O'Connell's once every two years or so. It's fate is not nearly as important to me as the fate of Pad Thai.

sooner518
4/3/2007, 04:28 PM
i lived my entire senior year on Monnett, right behind PadThai and I never once ate there. Glad I got outta there right before they started doing all that construction on the north side of campus

SteelClip49
4/3/2007, 04:47 PM
Padthai better stay where it is. It needs more room and it can happen where they are at. Sugers should just shut down; it reminds me of a Stillwater based shanty. O'Connell's moving is absurd. It's fine where it is. I will be working with athletic maintenance again this summer and I do not want to have to drive to CC to relax with a brewski after a hard day's work. If O'Connell's leave it's spot, there there is nothing to do on that side of the stadium except for the lame tailgates.

Easting
4/3/2007, 04:48 PM

Priceless!

SteelClip49
4/3/2007, 04:49 PM
BTW, for the Miami game, a few of my Miami friends and couple of Tennessee fans will be arriving together and will set up one massive tailgate. If there is anyone who knows how to properly tailgate, it's Tennessee fans and they are coming to NORMAN!!!!!. A little preview of what to expect when Tennessee comes to Norman in 2015.

GottaHavePride
4/3/2007, 05:22 PM
Padthai better stay where it is. It needs more room and it can happen where they are at. Sugers should just shut down; it reminds me of a Stillwater based shanty. O'Connell's moving is absurd. It's fine where it is. I will be working with athletic maintenance again this summer and I do not want to have to drive to CC to relax with a brewski after a hard day's work. If O'Connell's leave it's spot, there there is nothing to do on that side of the stadium except for the lame tailgates.

Um, the issue is that the University bought that whole corner of Lindsey, and everything on that corner that doesn't want to become a parking lot has to relocate. Or something like that.

Booner
4/3/2007, 06:35 PM
Wow things are a changin' that's for sure. I left in 2004 and have come back a couple of times and can't believe the changes since then.

BigRedJed
4/3/2007, 06:41 PM
Al Eschbach's has been in Bricktown since November, in the old location of Da Boat. Othello's also opened in the old Lotus/Daddy Hinkle's space above Bourbon Street. Both restaurants are owned by the same group.

snp
4/3/2007, 09:54 PM
Um, the issue is that the University bought that whole corner of Lindsey, and everything on that corner that doesn't want to become a parking lot has to relocate. Or something like that.

Yea he was pretty much wrong with his entire post.

Crappy tailgating on the South side? Psssssh

Suger's better be here when my kids come to school. It's not a complete Campus Corner night until you wake up the next morning with a book of matches from Suger's and a weird odor still on you.

Bruiser53
4/4/2007, 12:19 AM
The University is planning on building a new swimming pool/huff additions right where a bunch of hte current parking is, so to compensate they are putting a garage accross the street where the houses are, O'Connell's is not in the mix to be torn down right now, just those houses. Trust me, I partied in one of those houses all last semester, they are pieces of poo and need to be torn down asap

SteelClip49
4/4/2007, 12:20 AM
My post is accurate when it comes to the tailgating. I have experienced a lot of it. It's not all bad, some good spots. But....When the Tennessee fan comes, look out, it's going to be one spectacular tailgate. Sooners, Canes and a Vol. Gotta Love it.

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/4/2007, 07:06 AM
They should really open up the OMU garage for Commuters, and make the LindseyJenkins garage for visitors. Make them walk. As it stands you wait 30 minutes for a spot at Elm or you park and walk for 30 minutes, it's not going to save any time.

i might not completely understand what you're saying, buti interviewed for a job at OU in the accounting dept. one of the responsibilities that the job entailed was to keep track of revenue for the parking in the omu garage. the people i interviewed with mentioned that they sell more permits to that garage than the number of parking spaces that they have. i would imagine that they would do the same for just about every garage that they own. i don't think that it will open up any garage that they have because them overselling permits.

Petro-Sooner
4/4/2007, 11:53 AM
Quote: But Stewart said the new location also will retain the same atmosphere as at Lindsey Street. Furnishings, decorations and memorabilia from Lindsey Street, some of which is in storage, will be on display at Campus Corner.

Retain the same furnishings, decorations, and memorabilia?? Are you kidding me? Those are things that need to be scraped and new things brought in. I dont think people really will miss the softball trophies from the 80s. And the bud light NFL banners. :rolleyes: I mean come on. Do it up right.

Taxman71
4/4/2007, 12:09 PM
O'Connell's flourished for 2 reasons: St. Patty's day and proximitely to Owen Stadium. St. Patty's day has gone to suck as previously discussed. When tailgating exploded circa 2000, halftime checkout passes ceased in 2001 and campus corner finally got together to put a nice atmosphere out there, it left O'Connell's to the dregs. It will help to move to CC, but the old 8 hour drinkfest, urinate in someone's back yard, etc. will be distant memories.

the dude
4/4/2007, 04:25 PM
I had fun there the last two years. They always did kareoke on Wed. nights... lots of good memories... many filled in by others.

It'll suck to go back and not have it there...

LosAngelesSooner
4/4/2007, 07:34 PM
I had too many good times there wherin I used alcohol to blind a young co-ed to my many flaws and got her home with me in the sack.

Yeah. I said it. I got girls drunk in order to score.

A young brutha's gotta find a way!

;)

snp
4/4/2007, 10:25 PM
Dude, she was just getting her beer goggles on. ;)

1stTimeCaller
4/4/2007, 10:42 PM
O'Connell's flourished for 2 reasons: St. Patty's day and proximitely to Owen Stadium. St. Patty's day has gone to suck as previously discussed. When tailgating exploded circa 2000, halftime checkout passes ceased in 2001 and campus corner finally got together to put a nice atmosphere out there, it left O'Connell's to the dregs. It will help to move to CC, but the old 8 hour drinkfest, urinate in someone's back yard, etc. will be distant memories.

Jeff Stewart didn't make a penny on outside beer sales during football games.

I don't know where the reporter got some of their information either. Jeff owned a movie theater in Moore but lost his lease and he then purchased O'Connell's.

LosAngelesSooner
4/4/2007, 10:44 PM
Dude, she was just getting her beer goggles on. ;)Probably so much truth in that statement. :(

OUMallen
4/5/2007, 11:49 AM

Ummm, whether you think it sucks or not, there was a 2X2 line around the block to get in a few weeks ago. I don't think they're NOT flourishing due to St. Patty's Day faltering.

OUMallen
4/5/2007, 11:54 AM
My post is accurate when it comes to the tailgating. I have experienced a lot of it. It's not all bad, some good spots. But....When the Tennessee fan comes, look out, it's going to be one spectacular tailgate. Sooners, Canes and a Vol. Gotta Love it.

Jeez, the tailgates aren't made for YOU. They're made for the enjoyment of the people making them. If you think they suck so bad, you start one up and have fun. We have an awesome time at ours and we're not really too concerned about random people unless they come up and are friendly Sooners.

Better yet, just move to Knoxville. You seem to be pretty disappointed in O'C's move and our gameday atmosphere; in turn, you seem to be pretty enamored with your Vol pal.

Fraggle145
4/5/2007, 12:02 PM
Jeez, the tailgates aren't made for YOU. They're made for the enjoyment of the people making them. If you think they suck so bad, you start one up and have fun. We have an awesome time at ours and we're not really too concerned about random people unless they come up and are friendly Sooners.

Better yet, just move to Knoxville. You seem to be pretty disappointed in O'C's move and our gameday atmosphere; in turn, you seem to be pretty enamored with your Vol pal.

Hey Mallen, where do you tailgate? I tailgate by the stdium lot on Jenkins and Brooks... I'll have to stop by yours sometime. Anyway, agreed tailgaiting is all about hosting your own and doing what you like.

That said they do know how to tailgate in the SEC (They seem to take it to the next level). I know from personal experience at UGA. I cant afford to tailgate that way, nor would I want the stress it is a lot of work. But I do like going to other people's tailgates that go to all of that trouble. just my $0.02

crimson&cream
4/9/2007, 10:22 AM
I have a spot south of the stadium where I like to park on game days so I don't know about other days and parking problems. I do know if there's no O'Connell's on the present corner there's no place to go after the games if you park south of the stadium because thats your direction when you leave Norman. Sometimes I hate progress and losing a tradition -O'Connell's beer tent on game days- some care, some of you don't. Oh Well, my group will miss it- that whole corner atmosphere.

oklaclarinet
4/9/2007, 05:44 PM
Had lunch at O'Connell's before the Red/White game on Saturday, and it was crowded. I had to wait at the shuffleboard table for a while before a table opened up.