PDA

View Full Version : Why is Oregon getting up for this game...

Soonerus
9/13/2006, 09:53 PM
...they are just another soft,patsy PAC 10 team about to embarrass their conference again...Sooners by a minimum of 10...book it....

QuackAttack
9/13/2006, 10:07 PM
...they are just another soft,patsy PAC 10 team about to embarrass their conference again...Sooners by a minimum of 10...book it....

you seem to imply that Oregon should not be pumped about your team. Is there something wrong with Oklahoma this year? I was under the impression they have a storied program known for excellence and success, reasonably unmatched in the country. If I am wrong, then you're correct, Oregon should think of this game as if they were playing a nobody like... say UAB?

badger
9/13/2006, 10:09 PM
you seem to imply that Oregon should not be pumped about your team. Is there something wrong with Oklahoma this year? I was under the impression they have a storied program known for excellence and success, reasonably unmatched in the country. If I am wrong, then you're correct, Oregon should think of this game as if they were playing a nobody like... say UAB?
Yes, you SHOULD think of it like playing UAB.

UAB after they beat you two seasons in a row.

Soonerus
9/13/2006, 10:13 PM
I am just saying false PAC 10 bravado being burst once again is humoruous to me after watching it happen over and over again in college FB over the years...

QuackAttack
9/13/2006, 10:14 PM
I am just saying false PAC 10 bravado being burst once again is humoruous to me after watching it happen over and over again in college FB over the years...

Come back over the weekend and tell me how the Big 12 fared verses the Pac 10. There are 4 games. I am confident the Pac 10 goes 3-1 verses the Big 12. It is quite possible the Pac 10 will go 4-0 verse the Big 12 this weekend.

The Maestro
9/13/2006, 10:17 PM
Come back over the weekend and tell me how the Big 12 fared verses the Pac 10. There are 4 games. I am confident the Pac 10 goes 3-1 verses the Big 12. It is quite possible the Pac 10 will go 4-0 verse the Big 12 this weekend.

If the Pac 10 goes 3-1 and that 1 is a Sooner win, most folks around here will be JUST fine! Screw the Big 12...I'm an OU fan!

badger
9/13/2006, 10:18 PM
Screw the Big 12...I'm an OU fan!
This belongs on a t-shirt.

But since it probably won't happen, I'll just dispense with the spek.

Soonerus
9/13/2006, 10:22 PM
I am talking about Oregon false bravado about to be shattered, that's it...

QuackAttack
9/13/2006, 10:23 PM
If the Pac 10 goes 3-1 and that 1 is a Sooner win, most folks around here will be JUST fine! Screw the Big 12...I'm an OU fan!

eheh funny thing is, i was counting the loss as most likely Oregon. The other games seem easier to pick, but, that is why they play the games - anything is possible.

sooner94
9/13/2006, 10:43 PM
I like that term "book it". Sounds cool. I'm going to use it a lot from now on.

How about "Jim, I'll be done with the TPS reports by 3pm. Book it!!!!"

By the way, who came up with that?:D

QuackAttack
9/13/2006, 10:46 PM

Not sure, but I believe the whole statment is, "Book it, Dan-o." I can reasonably conclude that it came from someone with a friend or acquaintenance named Dan-O, or his name could simply be Dan and they took liberty to call him Dan-O.

I hope that answers your question.

Soonerus
9/13/2006, 10:51 PM
On this board it is referred to as "Book it, Beano"...

sooner94
9/13/2006, 10:54 PM
Not sure, but I believe the whole statment is, "Book it, Dan-o." I can reasonably conclude that it came from someone with a friend or acquaintenance named Dan-O, or his name could simply be Dan and they took liberty to call him Dan-O.

I hope that answers your question.

It's "Book EM, Dano", not Book it. That's what Akroid said to Hanks in the only Dragnet I ever seen.

QuackAttack
9/13/2006, 10:59 PM
It's "Book EM, Dano", not Book it. That's what Akroid said to Hanks in the only Dragnet I ever seen.

ha, that's funny because it is true. i almost said that it was from Dragnet. only seen part of a movie myself.

Soonerus
9/13/2006, 11:00 PM
Come on Quack, Sooner94 is right it is "BooK EM, not Book it Dan-o"...duck that...

daddywarbucks
9/13/2006, 11:05 PM

and tps report is from office space...nice;)

Soonerus
9/14/2006, 12:47 AM
I got it....

AlbqSooner
9/14/2006, 06:39 AM
Book em Dan-O is originally from the TV show Hawaii 5-0. Sheeesh you guys are younger than I thought.

TripleOption14
9/14/2006, 06:57 AM
Am i the only Sooner fan who is somewhat freaked out by this game?? I wouldn't be so leary if it wasn't for OUr defense. I don't know guys i just get the feeling that this game is gonna come down to the final seconds. Hmm....

OU4LIFE
9/14/2006, 07:35 AM
Book em Dan-O is originally from the TV show Hawaii 5-0. Sheeesh you guys are younger than I thought.

I was thinking the same thing.....

Soonerus
9/14/2006, 07:49 AM
Wasn't Dan-o the fat Hawaiian guy ?? Possibly a father to one of the Oregon foreigners...

Miko
9/14/2006, 07:54 AM
Wasn't Dan-o the fat Hawaiian guy ?? Possibly a father to one of the Oregon foreigners...

:D
No, Dan-o was the blond guy, McGarrett's "right hand man"

And I thought the phrase originated with the Austin PD in reference to the horn defensive backfield.

Miko
9/14/2006, 08:18 AM
I am confident the Pac 10 goes 3-1 verses the Big 12.

Quite possible. I agree that col. and neb. stand a better chance of getting hit by a hurricane or a tidal wave than winning this week.

FaninAma
9/14/2006, 08:59 AM
Oregon is a good program but I dobn't think they are as goo this year as they were last year, especially on defense. Plus they have several key injuries.

Sure the Sooners could go in and turn the ball over a lot and come away with the L but if Stoops and Venables are the coaches I think they are they will have the Sooners ready to play. This is a game where Rufus, Paul and AD really have to step up and lead the team.

stoopified
9/14/2006, 09:51 AM
ha, that's funny because it is true. i almost said that it was from Dragnet. only seen part of a movie myself.Actullay Book 'em Dan-o was a tagline from the old hawaii 5-0 tv show.The Dragnet remake with Akroyd and Hanks was simply BORROWING it.A sort of homage to the era of the original Dragnet-Hawaii 5-0 era.
Young people today amaze me.They actually think Motley Crue wrote SMOKIN' IN THE BOYS ROOM ,when it was actually Brownsville Station twenty or so years earlier.

OUmillenium
9/14/2006, 09:56 AM
This belongs on a t-shirt.

But since it probably won't happen, I'll just dispense with the spek.

I concur, that is why I do not root for the shorthorns or Oklahoma Stink University.

OUmillenium
9/14/2006, 09:57 AM
Actullay Book 'em Dan-o was a tagline from the old hawaii 5-0 tv show.The Dragnet remake with Akroyd and Hanks was simply BORROWING it.A sort of homage to the era of the original Dragnet-Hawaii 5-0 era.
Young people today amaze me.They actually think Motley Crue wrote SMOKIN' IN THE BOYS ROOM ,when it was actually Brownsville Station twenty or so years earlier.

Flight of the Pheonix also a remake from the late 60s

OU4LIFE
9/14/2006, 09:59 AM
I just don't see many places where Oregon is favored in the match-ups.

They are at home. That's a big advantage. Is it worth a TD? Two? I don't think it's worth more than one.

Our WR vs. Their DBs. How is this NOT an advantage for OU. So far Thompson has shown to be AT LEAST as good if not better than Bomar. AND they have a starting corner out with a broken ankle. Kelly went off on them in the bowl game for 5 catches and 79 yards. I can easily see him doing the same again.

Our RB's vs. their front seven. You're kidding me, right? They got shredded last week by a back that isn't HALF as good as AD. This is a mismatch.

Their RB's vs. our front seven. You're kidding me, right? We haven't shown the ability to consistently stop anyone from running the ball so far, I see no reason to assume we will start now. They have a good Oline, and should be good here.

Their WR vs. our DB's. With Reggie locking down one side, their only chance is to pick on Lendy....and I just don't see that being anything they can count on.

Kicking games. So far I think you HAVE to give the advantage to us here, hartley has been money, and Smith is a game breaker every time they punt the ball.

I'm not saying we win this in a walk, but the advantages on paper sure seem to be in our favor here. I think the advantages are enough to get us the win.

I say we win by 5.

momark
9/14/2006, 10:07 AM
just the facts mam now thats dragnet in black and white

Soonerus
9/14/2006, 10:21 AM
Colorado is sooooo psycho they will probably beat ASU...I can't believe Jack Webb of Dragnet later came out of the closet as a gay.....

MiccoMacey
9/14/2006, 10:31 AM

Last week the Big Twelve was 1-0 against your Pac-10.

You're being unfair...one of those Big XII teams is Colorado. They'd be at the bottom of any conference this year.

Quack 10
9/14/2006, 10:48 AM
You're being unfair...one of those Big XII teams is Colorado.

That's funny right there, considering what you're basing your "weak Pac-10" theories on.

Unranked-and-not-great-Wazzu gets worked at top-five Auburn, horrible Oregon State gets pounded on the Smurf Turf as usual, pathetic UW goes down in the 2nd half at then-near-top-ten Oklahoma, and eastie media darling Cal turns out to be WAY overrated again, which everyone else in the Pac-10 already knew. UA at LSU? I can't comment here on Mike Stoops.

I'm guessing "book it" as "sure thing" comes from the travel or entertainment industry usage, meaning that once a trip or event is booked, it's going to happen.

In this case however, I think the Sooners are traveling "stand by."

CapitolSooner
9/14/2006, 10:49 AM
"Oklahoma recognizes they escaped last year"
-Mike Bellotti

Im sure this is a repost, but Im too upset right now! Where does this shmuck get the testicular fortitude to make an asonine statement like that.

Oregon braces for Oklahoma visit
Posted 9/13/2006 12:27 AM ET
By Kelly Whiteside, USA TODAY
Oregon coach Mike Bellotti has joked that Oklahoma might soon be petitioning for entrance into the Pacific-10 given how frequently his team plays the Sooners. Saturday, No. 11 Oklahoma and No. 18 Oregon meet for the third time in three years.

"I feel like it's a league game almost," Bellotti said Tuesday. "We see too much of them, almost. ... It's one thing to play a team that's an average football team, but this is not an average football team. It's a team that's won national championships and been in the national championship game two of the last four years. It's something you go, 'OK, here we are. Let's go.' "

Much is at stake for both teams, but the Ducks have the chance to beat the Sooners for the first time in school history — Oklahoma is 6-0 in a series that dates to 1966. The two were scheduled to play in 2004 and 2006 but also met last season in the Holiday Bowl, a 17-14 Oklahoma win.

"Oklahoma recognizes they escaped last year," Bellotti said of the bowl, which the Ducks lost when they elected to go for a touchdown instead of a field goal that would have tied the score. "But at our level, finishing close doesn't make much difference. To beat a top-25 team, a program you never defeated, certainly there's a lot of hunger and a lot of opportunity."

The Sooners have a chance to win their first road game with quarterback Paul Thompson in one of the toughest stadiums in the country.

"I'm excited to see what this team is going to do. It's going to be a loud atmosphere," said Thompson, whose Sooners are wearing earplugs in practice to prepare for the noise level at Autzen Stadium. "This would be a big steppingstone to get over. It's definitely not just another game, but one that we feel that if we can close on this, it will be a big boost going into our last game out of conference."

One of the most compelling aspects of the game will be the matchup of No. 28s. Of the two standout running backs who wear that jersey number, Oklahoma junior Adrian Peterson certainly has the higher profile. He finished second in Heisman Trophy voting in his freshman year before an ankle injury set him back last year.

Though fans across the country don't know as much about him just yet, Oregon sophomore Jonathan Stewart might be just as talented as Peterson.

"I talked to him about the two No. 28s on the field and said to him that this is a tremendous opportunity to prove that you're the same kind of guy," Bellotti said. "He's excited."

Stewart, who is from Lacey, Wash., and is Washington's all-time high school rushing leader, was one of the top recruits in the nation when he signed with Oregon.

"He's was considered No. 1 or No. 2 in the entire nation, and I think he will live up to that," Bellotti said.

In his 12-game college career, Stewart has 12 touchdowns. As a reserve tailback last year, he scored a touchdown nearly every eight times he touched the ball. As a freshman, Stewart led the nation in kickoff returns (33.7 average) and became the school's first player to return two kickoffs for touchdowns in the same season.

Against Stanford, a 48-10 win in the Ducks' opener this year, Stewart ran for 168 yards before suffering an ankle injury in the third quarter. Last week against Fresno State, a 31-24 win, he was on the field for only two plays because of the injury; one of those was a 3-yard TD run. Stewart, 5-11, 230 pounds, is expected to be fully healthy Saturday.

"Jonathan's combination of speed, strength and power is unmatched on our team, and when healthy he's a difference-maker and a guy we need in order to compete with the top teams in the nation," Bellotti said. "He gives us a chance to do that."