PDA

View Full Version : Oregon game in HD?

SeattleOUstudent
9/13/2006, 06:30 PM
anyone know if it is in HD glory this weekend?:texan:

DrZaius
9/13/2006, 06:34 PM
Probably not...ABC is restricting HD to their Saturday night game.

They have gotten huge amounts of bad emails regarding their neglect of HD games. Yet their only solution was to offer 1 per week.

I really hope that some day in the future CBS or ESPN buys our TV contract. All their games are in HD.

ABC SUCKS!!!!!

Mjcpr
9/13/2006, 06:35 PM
Uh...last week's OU game was in HD as was OSU - Texas so there's a chance.

DrZaius
9/13/2006, 06:35 PM
On the only bright side...If us and Texas win out up til our meeting.....There is a good chance that it could be the Saturday night game.

DrZaius
9/13/2006, 06:39 PM
Uh...last week's OU game was in HD as was OSU - Texas so there's a chance.

That is good. Here in Atlanta I have not seen any regular Saturday games in HD on ABC. The only ones have been the Saturday night games.

mrowl
9/13/2006, 06:52 PM
looks like no hd right now.

DrZaius
9/13/2006, 06:54 PM
From ABC's coverage map

Twenty-two states in their entirety will receive the OU-Oregon game on ABC in HD including Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Hawaii.

mrowl
9/13/2006, 06:57 PM
From ABC's coverage map

Twenty-two states in their entirety will receive the OU-Oregon game on ABC in HD including Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Hawaii.

link?

mrowl
9/13/2006, 07:00 PM
From ABC's coverage map

nevermind, found it. Its not HD.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/espntv/topics/map091606_blue.jpg

mrowl
9/13/2006, 07:01 PM
and here is the link for the future, coverage map is button on right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnTopics?topic=Football

DrZaius
9/13/2006, 07:10 PM
I have no idea what is up but here is the link

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2475&ATCLID=606106

mrowl
9/13/2006, 07:13 PM
I haven't looked at my program guide at home yet... will look tonight.

Paperclip
9/13/2006, 07:24 PM
On the only bright side...If us and Texas win out up til our meeting.....There is a good chance that it could be the Saturday night game.

Nighttime around Fair Park does not equal a "bright side". I might be selling my tickets if that happened.

Falconnius
9/13/2006, 07:41 PM
wasnt the Washington game in HD? or was it just normal TV broadcast on the HD ABC channel, I could of swore I was watching the game in full screen HD glory.

OUstud
9/13/2006, 08:08 PM
If it isn't that kinda sucks because Saturday is the big debut of my new TV...

All_Day_28
9/13/2006, 08:17 PM
The Washington game was in HD. I hope this one will be too.

Widescreen
9/13/2006, 09:23 PM
If Soonersports.com is correct, our game will be in HD.

mxATVracer10
9/14/2006, 09:47 AM
While we're on the HD subject I've got a question. If something is "presented in HD" but is on the regular channel feed, is it really coming in in true HD? I can tell a difference when I have it on an actual HD channel (like ESPNHD) but when I'm watching something on one of the local channels and it says at the beginning of the show "presented in HD" or whatever is it the same or are you supposed to find that channel's HD channel if it provides one? (like watching sportscenter on ESPN vs. on ESPNHD) I have Dish Network if that makes a difference...

Widescreen
9/14/2006, 09:51 AM
You have to be watching the HD version of the channel. If you're watching channel 140 (regular ESPN on Dish), you are NOT watching HD even if it says "presented in HD". You'd have to switch to the ESPN-HD channel to see it in HD.

Mjcpr
9/14/2006, 09:53 AM
I haven't looked at my program guide at home yet... will look tonight.

I looked last night and it didn't say HD so I'm thinking we're SOL.

achiro
9/14/2006, 10:06 AM
Last weeks game was suppose to be in HD but from what I've seen abc's "hd" really sucks compared to some of the others.

mxATVracer10
9/14/2006, 11:04 AM
You have to be watching the HD version of the channel. If you're watching channel 140 (regular ESPN on Dish), you are NOT watching HD even if it says "presented in HD". You'd have to switch to the ESPN-HD channel to see it in HD.

Thats what I was thinking... So is there a way to get the locals in HD? I know they have them again in the 8900's but was thinking they are just another feed of the regular channel. :confused:

sooner94
9/14/2006, 11:31 AM
Thats what I was thinking... So is there a way to get the locals in HD? I know they have them again in the 8900's but was thinking they are just another feed of the regular channel. :confused:

I'm not sure how local HD channels work for cable. But you can get them with an HD antenna as well.

I have Directv, and I get the local HD channels through an antenna. Regular ABC is channel 8, and HD ABC is 8-1 ( I live in Dallas).

If your HD channels are not very good through cable, or you can't get them through cable, I would recommend the antenna. It's not very expensive.

From my experience, ABC's college football HD is not as good as it should be. ESPN and CBS do a really good job with their HD football games. ABC HD is was good for Monday Night Football, but I always thought they had a cheaper HD production for college, even for the BCS games that were in HD.

turkey123
9/14/2006, 11:31 AM
Yes, you can buy an HD amplified antenna and receive local channel broadcasts in HD. If you use dish and have the new HD reciever (not sure of model) then there is a input on the back for an antenna. Then you go to the menu and find local channels. It will search and put them in yellow on your guide. All the sunday games are usually broadcast in HD. The picture quality is great if you can get a good signal.

Quack 10
9/14/2006, 12:00 PM
As far as I know, yes. Oregon's game against Stanford was an ABC 12:30 (PDT) game, and it was in HD. So was the OU/UW game last week in the same time slot. (and the picture was great!)

I have cable HD, and this is probably a stupidly-obvious comment, but just in case someone is confused, the HD broadcast is a different channel than the low-res "traditional" station. Here in Seattle, the "standard" ABC affiliate is channel 4, but it's 104 for the HD feed. I'm guessing it's the same way everywhere?

Miko
9/14/2006, 12:59 PM
No OU v. uo 'n HD? Not even on ESPN-HD or ESPN2-HD? We are SOL! Well, if you see Kay......

mxATVracer10
9/14/2006, 01:03 PM
ok thanks for the info guys:texan:

mrowl
9/14/2006, 03:02 PM
I looked last night and it didn't say HD so I'm thinking we're SOL.

mine doesn't have the HD symbol either...

suck. :mad:

RedstickSooner
9/14/2006, 06:33 PM

I have Dish (only because Voom went belly-up, which still bums me out), and get all my locals in HD, but there's a couple problems:

1) Dish does't integrate listings for those locals into the box (or at least, doesn't in my model - they have about a trillion different models of set-top box, mine is whatever was available about a year and a half ago with HD DVR capabilities). This means that all you get for your locals is "digital service" as the program description. This causes a bunch of problems, some of which include:

a) You have to look up game times & times for network broadcasts the old-fashioned way, then program them in manually.

b) You won't know from looking in your DVR list which show is which, unless you know what airs when (which you eventually learn out of habit, because every week you go through the same thing).

c) Going through your list of pre-programmed manual timers is a HUGE pain in the rear, because if you don't remember precisely what airs when, you won't know which timers you won't mind ditching. Nor is there an easy way to find and get to a *specific* manual timer.

d) If you find a show that's in progress on an over-the-air channel, do NOT try to record it "on the fly", because the program guide info makes each show basically endless -- and if you record it on the fly and click "yes" to the on-screen query, you will bypass ALL of your over-the-air timers for the next week. Nothing quite so much fun as spending half an hour going through each manual timer and re-enabling it by hand, just because you decided on a whim to record the rest of the evening news.

2) Dunno about your locals, but it took a while for mine to bother broadcasting in HD. Just because the network has HD doesn't mean your local station is operating a digital channel in HD. And, even if they are, they may be doing one of the following things:

a) Using their digital space for about a half-dozen crap channels nobody watches, and compressing the snot out of their HD channel to provide the bandwidth.

b) Staying asleep at the switch, and frequently broadcasting in SD on the HD channel because some nitwit at the station in the control room forgot to switch the feed back over after a commercial break (this doesn't happen as much after the station has been broadcasting HD for a while -- six months or so)

3) Getting your feed from a physical antenna is a pain, at least at first. I finally have my antenna aimed in such a way that it picks up every channel except for LPB consistently (LPB is our PBS). I've heard a lot about various amplified antennas that folks love, but I went old-fashioned, and got a full-size antenna on an eighteen foot antenna mount in the back yard. What kind of reception you get will depend on where you are, what's between you and the station, etc. There used to be a site called antennaweb.org, which you could use to calculate which stations you could receive from your house, but I dunno if it still works. And while helpful, it wasn't perfect -- in my case, it had inaccurate info on which channels had gone live with HD.

G'luck, and let me leave you with this:

Every cable & satellite provider compresses their HD signals. The ONLY way you will EVER see HD in its total glory is on an over-the-air broadcast (or from, say, a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD disc once those players are common) received from a station that does NOT compress its signal. In my case, I have one uncompressed channel -- FOX. ABC, CBS, and NBC all compress their signals, and it shows.

When you've got that true, honest-to-goodness HD signal, you'll know it -- the folks on the screen will appear to pop into 3-d, and you'll feel giddy at all of the high-definition goodness.

I just hope Dish doesn't do like they did to their regular service a few years back and totally compress everything into muddy oblivion. Satellite services have a habit of deciding that twenty more PPV channels are worth the hit to quality which comes from over compression.

How's that for a brief response to your off-the-cuff curiosity? :D

mrowl
9/14/2006, 06:55 PM
Every cable & satellite provider compresses their HD signals. The ONLY way you will EVER see HD in its total glory is on an over-the-air broadcast (or from, say, a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD disc once those players are common) received from a station that does NOT compress its signal. In my case, I have one uncompressed channel -- FOX. ABC, CBS, and NBC all compress their signals, and it shows.

Fios has VERY little compression. As soon as Fios has a multistream card, and the tivo can take it, I am in.

The VIIIth
9/14/2006, 08:28 PM
wasnt the Washington game in HD? or was it just normal TV broadcast on the HD ABC channel, I could of swore I was watching the game in full screen HD glory.

I sure Tivoed it in HD...my guess is the game we see saturday will look like the Washington game last week.

Same Bat Time. Same Bat Channel.

mrowl
9/14/2006, 08:33 PM
well... who knows whats going on.

My program guide says HD now. SWEET.

Widescreen
9/14/2006, 09:08 PM
For the record, all HD is compressed - it's MPEG2 which is a compression algorithm. There are just varying degrees of compression. Over-the-air typically has the bandwidth such that they don't need to compress as much as sat and cable operators.

Norm In Norman
9/14/2006, 09:28 PM
Not definitive, but:

http://www.hdtvok.com/2006/09/14/ou-oregon-not-in-hd/#comments

Last week they had it marked as HD then spent a couple of days with it not HD then ended up marking it as HD again. What punks.