PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Punters

RacerX
9/13/2006, 11:36 AM
GREELEY, Colo. -- The University of Northern Colorado's reserve punter was arrested Tuesday, accused of stabbing his rival in his kicking leg.

Mitch Cozad, a sophomore from Wheatland, Wyo., allegedly attacked starting punter Rafael Mendoza in a parking lot in Evans on Monday night, Evans police Lt. Gary Kessler said.

Mendoza, the Bears' first-string punter from Thornton, was treated and released from the North Colorado Medical Center Monday night. Coach Scott Downing said Mendoza will not punt for UNC in Saturday's game at Texas State University.

"I don't know how long he'll be out because I haven't talked to the doctor," Downing said.

Cozad, Mendoza and freshman Zak Bigelow had been in a three-way race for the starting punter's job in preseason training. Mendoza has averaged 37.6 yards per punt on nine punts in the two games so far this season.

Cozad is facing second-degree assault charges and was scheduled to appear in court Wednesday for a bond hearing. He was suspended from the team, evicted from his residence and expelled from school on Tuesday, The Greeley Tribune reported.

sooneron
9/13/2006, 11:46 AM
You stab a fellow teammate and only get suspended?

Rhino
9/13/2006, 11:48 AM
You stab a fellow teammate and only get suspended? He was suspended from the team, evicted from his residence and expelled from school on Tuesday, The Greeley Tribune reported.

He's done.

sooneron
9/13/2006, 11:49 AM
Uh yeah, I realize that. I just found it odd he wasn't booted from the team immediately.

Redshirt
9/13/2006, 11:50 AM
I once let the air out of the tires of a rival real estate agent just to beat them to an appointment.

I did not get suspended.

Rhino
9/13/2006, 12:21 PM
Uh yeah, I realize that. I just found it odd he wasn't booted from the team immediately. Well, he just stabbed a guy.

It wasn't like he and two other friends were found asleep in their car at three in the morning with weed and his finger on the trigger of a loaded gun or anything.

daddywarbucks
9/13/2006, 12:24 PM
how about prosecuted? If i stabbed anyone I would be prosecuted, Hell I cant even throw bottles at em anymore in traffic without getting in trouble, let alone stab someone...Its called a felony in most states.

JonnyRed
9/13/2006, 12:27 PM
He's off to Sam Houston!

RacerX
9/13/2006, 12:37 PM
Can't kick him off the team until they're sure the 2nd string punter can kick Saturday...

GrapevineSooner
9/13/2006, 12:51 PM
Tonya Harding approves.

StoopTroup
9/13/2006, 12:54 PM
Did Colorado pick him up yet?

SoonerAtKU
9/13/2006, 03:42 PM
Not only is he being charged with assault, but he was a terrible kicker.

Oh, NORTHERN Colorado...

Miko
9/13/2006, 03:47 PM
Just like a punter to bring a knife....

oh nevermind.

footballfanatic
9/13/2006, 03:58 PM
When good punters go bad.

World's scariest punter chases.

CSI. Northern Colorado Edition.

soonerlaw
9/13/2006, 04:08 PM
They could have used that guy too. They play Texas State on Saturday, meaning they need someone to thug up to Raymonce.

TopDawg
9/13/2006, 09:04 PM
Well, he just stabbed a guy.

It wasn't like he and two other friends were found asleep in their car at three in the morning with weed and his finger on the trigger of a loaded gun or anything.

Well if that were ever to happen, I bet the guy with his finger on the trigger really wouldn't have known anything about what was going on. The guy who used to play on the team probably waited until the other two were asleep and then snuck the weed in there and softly placed the gun under the dude's hand. Ya know, just a funny gag pulled by someone who couldn't be kicked off the team.

I mean, ya know, if that were ever to happen.

UNSeeN_
9/13/2006, 10:46 PM
When the coach told him to take a stab at the starting position, he didn't mean it literally.....

TopDawg
9/13/2006, 10:56 PM
When the coach told him to take a stab at the starting position, he didn't mean it literally.....

Propahs.

SicEmBaylor
9/13/2006, 10:56 PM
WTF is Dotson doing punting for N.Colorado?