PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown/UT Superior Talent

tru2ou
9/13/2006, 10:27 AM
I started thinking about Mack's comments earlier this week that tOSU was a better team and deserved to win the game.

It really forced me to think about a time when a UT team under Mack Brown, beat someone that was perceived to have superior talent. I guess USC would be the best/only example I could think of last year but has there been any other instances?

In the same instance, I was thinking about OU under Bob stoops beating teams with perceived superior talent. here is the list I came up with so far.

2000 - Nebraska, Texas, Kansas State, Florida State
2001 - Texas
2002 - Texas, Washington State(?)
2003 - None (we could put Texas in here, they had an NFL QB, RB, and WR)
2004 - Texas (NFL QB, RB)
2005 - None

I think Texas was favored in 2003 and 2004 if I'm not mistaken.

- Tru

CincySooner
9/13/2006, 10:28 AM
they weren't favored in 03. we were favored in every game in 03.

tru2ou
9/13/2006, 10:35 AM
Ok, I just suggested they might have had superior talent if you look at what certain players had done.

Right now, I still have none for 2003.

- Tru

TexasLidig8r
9/13/2006, 10:35 AM
Don't know, .. with the talent you sent to the NFL between 2000 - 2005, I don't know if you can say Texas had superior talent than OU any of those years... especially in the trenches.

The Nebraska wins for Texas (especially the year we won in the regular season but got smoked in the title game)... the Bugmunchers had better talent.

Sheephumpers in Mack's first year.

K-State perhaps in Vince's redshirt freshman year.

sooner94
9/13/2006, 11:45 AM
Texas was favored against OU from 99 through 2002, we were favored in 03 and 04.

There was a perception by the media, as well as the oddsmakers, that Texas had more talent from 99 thru 02. I remember hearing that every year.

horninokc
9/13/2006, 08:29 PM
I started thinking about Mack's comments earlier this week that tOSU was a better team and deserved to win the game.

It really forced me to think about a time when a UT team under Mack Brown, beat someone that was perceived to have superior talent. I guess USC would be the best/only example I could think of last year but has there been any other instances?

In the same instance, I was thinking about OU under Bob stoops beating teams with perceived superior talent. here is the list I came up with so far.

2000 - Nebraska, Texas, Kansas State, Florida State
2001 - Texas
2002 - Texas, Washington State(?)
2003 - None (we could put Texas in here, they had an NFL QB, RB, and WR)
2004 - Texas (NFL QB, RB)
2005 - None

I think Texas was favored in 2003 and 2004 if I'm not mistaken.

- Tru

Off the bat, I concede that OU owned Texas 2000-04. I think in the early part of that run OU had better talent but I think in 2004 and 2005 it started the drop, which I think continues today. Beside the point. You beat us.

As far as Texas wins over teams with more talent...(under Mack)
1998- Nebraska, Aggie (yeah, they used to be good)
1999- Nebraksa (first game)
2000- Can't think of one
2001- Can't think of one (Washington about a toss-up)
2002- None (at KSU was close) yeah, they used to be good, too
2003- Nebraska, KSU toss-up
2004- I'd argue Michigan
2005- Ohio State (mismanaged talent), USC

Trouble is, the last few years I think Texas has had more talent than about anyone on the schedule except you guys (last couple years excepted) Yes, we have underperformed in several games. I don't think any Horn would argue with that. You've had a couple, too. While I don't want to look them up, OSU comes to mind once or twice. It happens.

lukin254
9/13/2006, 08:36 PM
I don't really understand how Texas hauls in the greatest recruiting class in the history of man every single year but has had less talent than.. let's see... Nebraska in 2003???, KSU in 2003?????, Michigan at any time, and tOSU in '05?????? I will buy the USC in 2005, although that was probably a toss up.... Maybe if Mack would devlop talent as well as Stoops and his peeps seem to be able to, Texas wouldn't have to worry about being out-talented and trying to win against superior players...

horninokc
9/13/2006, 08:44 PM
I don't really understand how Texas hauls in the greatest recruiting class in the history of man every single year but has had less talent than.. let's see... Nebraska in 2003???, KSU in 2003?????, Michigan at any time, and tOSU in '05?????? I will buy the USC in 2005, although that was probably a toss up.... Maybe if Mack would devlop talent as well as Stoops and his peeps seem to be able to, Texas wouldn't have to worry about being out-talented and trying to win against superior players...

It doesn't really matter what the ranking services say about the kids coming out of highschool. Yeah, the classes make headlines. But, you have to see them when they are 19 and 20 and line up against competition. Sometimes they pan out. Sometimes not. (Think Bomar.)

But as far as developing talent, I think you lost one of the best in Mike Stoops. IMO he made his brother look much better that he was and I think it is beginning to show. But time will tell.

Desert Sapper
9/14/2006, 04:00 AM
IMO he made his brother look much better that he was and I think it is beginning to show.

Thinking and hoping are two decidedly different things...right now you are hoping, whorn.Hook em

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/14/2006, 09:17 AM
But as far as developing talent, I think you lost one of the best in Mike Stoops. IMO he made his brother look much better that he was and I think it is beginning to show. But time will tell.

buwahahahaha - taking out boo's guys and mike's 1st emergency recruiting class (recruited in 2 months), name 2 players he developed (i'll spot you brodney pool).

lukin254
9/14/2006, 09:30 AM
It doesn't really matter what the ranking services say about the kids coming out of highschool. Yeah, the classes make headlines. But, you have to see them when they are 19 and 20 and line up against competition. Sometimes they pan out. Sometimes not. (Think Bomar.)

Wow, that's the first time I've ever been accused of being an OU fan; I feel like I've arrived at some sort of monumental milestone in my life and I must go celebrate... But... Since you bring up Brett and the ranking services, OU has had as much or more attrition and fewer stars, even though those don't really matter unless tu has the most, than texas with their recruiting classes, especially at QB... So if my math is right, that makes Mack even worse, doesn't it?... Gets all the talent he wants, some of it develops in spite of his efforts, but most of them at least stick around for 4 or 5 or 6 years... Unless they're out stealing tv's or shooting people.. err.. I guess they still stick around after that, too.

horninokc
9/14/2006, 10:22 PM
Wow, that's the first time I've ever been accused of being an OU fan; I feel like I've arrived at some sort of monumental milestone in my life and I must go celebrate... But... Since you bring up Brett and the ranking services, OU has had as much or more attrition and fewer stars, even though those don't really matter unless tu has the most, than texas with their recruiting classes, especially at QB... So if my math is right, that makes Mack even worse, doesn't it?... Gets all the talent he wants, some of it develops in spite of his efforts, but most of them at least stick around for 4 or 5 or 6 years... Unless they're out stealing tv's or shooting people.. err.. I guess they still stick around after that, too.

"tu"? You're Aggie, so you can understand my confusion on who you are. We really shouldn't take up space on ou's board to trade shots, but I am amazed you are here or anywhere else talking. To ou's credit (damn, that hurt) they are at least playing a real team this week. The sheep tormentors are playing five teams in a row that couldn't hang with either UAB or UW...(or Reagan High School) and you brag about it. Good luck with Army. Your season will begin with Tech. See ya on T+1.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/14/2006, 10:59 PM
i figured as much. you're about to go the way of wyandotte wildcat for being a moran...