PDA

View Full Version : Husker talkin smack...

TheUnnamedSooner
9/13/2006, 08:49 AM
This guy talks a lot...

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AsHZLSLspGiTIPOP7oNV3MEcvrYF?slug=ap-t25-nebraska-jones&prov=ap&type=lgns

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- To Nebraska cornerback Andre Jones, it's not a matter of if the No. 19 Cornhuskers beat fourth-ranked Southern California on Saturday. It's a matter of when.

"When we beat this team, we can show the world that we are a great team and we restored the order," Jones said Tuesday.

Jones, a transfer from Fresno City Community College, signed with the Huskers last winter after turning down an offer from USC. The Fort Walton Beach, Fla., native was supposed to back up Zackary Bowman this season, but Bowman sustained a season-ending knee injury in August and Jones became a starter.

Jones isn't fretting about the Trojans having won 46 of their last 48 games, a Pacific-10 record 27 straight home games and that the Huskers are three-touchdown underdogs.

"I like to hear it. Most of my life, I've been the underdog anyway," he said. "People said I wasn't as good as I seemed, and I've always come out on top. That's why I came to this school.

"When we beat USC, its going to slingshot our season."

Jones also seems unfazed by the prospect of having to cover two of the top receivers in the nation in Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith.

"My friends have all been calling me, blowing up my phone, talking big noise and everything -- saying how they're going to beat us, saying all these threats they have on their team," Jones said. "We've got the same amount of threats over here.

"We're going to come up on top. USC is a great team. Of course, it's not going to be an easy game like it was against Louisiana Tech and Nicholls State."

Jones has two tackles and two pass breakups in two games.

Jones started his college career at Kentucky, where he played three games in 2003 before suffering a season-ending leg injury. He was awarded a medical redshirt for 2003 and transferred to Fresno.

He had five interceptions his first year and two interceptions and 13 pass breakups last season. He was ranked among the top defensive backs coming out of the junior college ranks, and he drew scholarship offers from four other Pac-10 schools in addition to USC.

"It came down between USC and Nebraska. When I went there, I just didn't sense that love that I felt when I came here," Jones said. "It's more Hollywood out there. It didn't seem real to me. I wanted to come to a town where football is loved. And what better town than (Lincoln)."

FaninAma
9/13/2006, 08:52 AM
Sort of reminds me of what happened after Larry Birdine opened his trap before the Orange Bowl.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/13/2006, 08:53 AM
Sort of reminds me of what happened after Larry Birdine opened his trap before the Orange Bowl.

My thoughts exactly

soonerlaw
9/13/2006, 08:53 AM
Optimist = when the glass is half full.
Pessimist = when the glass is half empty.
Andre Jones = when the glass is completely empty

Oh well, I hope the Huskers smoke them anyways.

PDXsooner
9/13/2006, 10:05 AM
on the other hand, it's kind of refreshing to see some cockiness after watching those pillow-biters bend over and grab their ankles against anyone good for the last five years.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/13/2006, 10:26 AM
yeah, but do they really have room to talk after beating La Tech and Nicholls St?

stoopified
9/13/2006, 10:37 AM
I can't decide which I would like better.If Air Corn beats USC even if by only I point it will deflate the monstrously swllon Trojan egos.The flip side is that if the Dickhats beat the Shuckers badly they will implode and that F'ing hillbilly Callahan gets what he deserves IMHO.Euther way I can be happy.

PDXsooner
9/13/2006, 10:41 AM
just find solace in the fact that one of them has to lose

Earickson
9/13/2006, 10:44 AM
The kids got moxy.

and come to think about it, what the hell does he have to lose. If they come out of this weekend with a loss, he'll hear about it from all kinds of folks for quite awhile. If NU comes out with a win, and I believe they have chance, (FSU vs Troy anyone see that coming?), he looks like a collegiate Joe Namath of sorts.

Besides, there aint nothing wrong with having confidence going into a game. If I was a coach I wouldn't want my players to feel any other way.

That being said, most coaches tell their players to keep their cards close to the table, meaning, even if you do feel confident about being able to play and win against your opponent you don't talk about it to the media. Keep it to yourself, and let your play talk for you.

Sooner Eclipse
9/13/2006, 06:21 PM
actually reminds me of some of the chit I heard from OU guys during the 95 year. Mostly from Howard himself.

These guys aren't done getting the snot beat outa them yet. Calleyberger's gotta go.

sooner94
9/13/2006, 06:32 PM
This is more like Fake Roy Williams. Isn't he into foolishly predicting victory over better teams?

olevetonahill
9/13/2006, 06:36 PM
I can't decide which I would like better.If Air Corn beats USC even if by only I point it will deflate the monstrously swllon Trojan egos.The flip side is that if the Dickhats beat the Shuckers badly they will implode and that F'ing hillbilly Callahan gets what he deserves IMHO.Euther way I can be happy.
Dont be calling callyburger a F'ing hillbilly
Thats My Name !;)

101sooner
9/13/2006, 07:02 PM
Did Broderick Thomas ever find those keys he lost? You remember, the keys to Nebraska's house.

I'm pretty sure that Patrick Collins picked them up on the way to the endzone............

goingoneight
9/13/2006, 10:27 PM

Bird was on the 2000 team? :confused: I don't remember any of these "Orange Bowl's" you speak of since then... ;)

goingoneight
9/13/2006, 10:29 PM

Thank God it's not for an MNC... wssshew. :cool:

Soonerus
9/13/2006, 10:32 PM
Nebraska has overachieved against inferior opponents early in the season for years just to get dropped on their head usually by OU...an early game with USC is a nightmare for Nebraska.....