PDA

View Full Version : Some articles for today...

GDC
9/13/2006, 07:55 AM
I thought all along we'd miss DD and Remi more than anyone.

Fault line
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
9/13/2006

Sooner defensive tackles take heat, but Stoops says the blame can be shared
NORMAN -- Lay off, Sooner Nation. Stop blaming the defensive tackles.

"It's not all their fault, I promise you," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said Tuesday.

The Sooners' four-man tackle rotation of Corey Bennett, Steven Coleman, DeMarcus Granger and Carl Pendleton has not been strong. They've not held the point of attack very well. They've gotten themselves out of position a few times, and been knocked out of position a few more.

"Yes," Stoops acknowledged. "There's blame to be had there. But elsewhere as well."

Washington last Saturday laid a 204-rushing yard beatdown on the Sooners, much of it right into the middle of the defensive line -- including a 54-yard touchdown on the first play of the game. In the opener, lightly regarded Alabama-Birmingham had 134 yards on the ground. That's two unheralded teams, each wielding a running game that casts little fear, averaging 169.5 yards per game and 4.2 yards per carry on the Sooners' own turf.

Consider that last season, OU's run defense ranked second in the Big 12 Conference and 18th in NCAA Division I-A, allowing just 90.6 yards per game. In 2004, the number was 94.6. No Sooner defense

since 1999 has allowed more than 114 yards per game on the ground.

Does it all really, as they say, start up front?

"Sure," said OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables. "On the ones they popped out of there, that's where it's at."

So how close is this foursome to measuring up?

"Nowhere near. Nowhere near it at all," said Granger, a redshirt freshman. "We've got a ways to go to be where everybody expects us to be. I know we're supposed to be the weak link of the defense this year. We're young. But we look at that as a way to get better."

Granger, for all intents, replaces graduated Dusty Dvoracek in the line. Cory Bennett, a sophomore, replaces Remi Ayodele. Junior Steven Coleman was a backup last year. Junior Carl Pendleton is a three-year regular in the rotation.

One problem could be the overall size of the quartet. Pendleton is 268 pounds -- good for a defensive end or a big linebacker, but not a tackle, who faces blocks from all sides by offensive linemen ranging from 300 to 330 pounds. Bennett is 278 pounds. Coleman and Granger tip the scales at 300.

"Oh yeah, size helps," Granger said.

But, he said, technique and quick feet are more important.

"You have to have great feet," Granger said. "You can be the strongest person in the world playing d-tackle, but if your feet don't move, then you'll never be great."

Stoops said a lot goes into playing good technique.

"Leverage, being able to use your hands and get off blocks, being able to handle double-teams and split them, being able to pass rush, make tackles when you have the opportunity," Stoops said. "We need to get more of that out of everybody."

Venables said a great defensive tackle can "create a new line of scrimmage for you." That means holding your position on the field and shoving the blockers into the backfield where havoc ensues. Dvoracek did that. So did two-time All-American Tommie Harris.

"You can get a lot of guys without that same kind of ability to do it consistently, too," Venables said.

Remember OU's tackle rotation on the 2000 national championship team? Probably not. Everyday Joes like Jeremy Wilson-Guest, Bary Holleyman and Ryan Fisher were not supremely talented players, but ably performed the defensive tackle's primary function: keep the blockers off the linebackers and safeties. They helped make All-Americans out of Rocky Calmus, Torrance Marshall and Roy Williams.

One common blocking technique every team uses is for two linemen to hit a defensive tackle and push him out of the path of the ballcarrier, with one of the blockers quickly scraping off and seeking a linebacker.

"Oh yes, it matters if a defensive tackle gets blocked. That's the first level," said Sooner offensive tackle Branndon Braxton. "If you don't block the down man, he'll be there every time."

Said OU center Jon Cooper, "The point of attack is always the main focus for us. If we can drive them three yards off the ball and into the linebackers, that's perfect. . . . The whole game starts there."

A defensive tackle must stand his ground when the double-team comes. When the tackles are playing well, Venables said, "first, you don't get movement off the ball. Many times, you get disruption. You get somebody in a quarterback's lap before a play can ever get started, so you disrupt the flow of an offense when you constantly have push from the onset, whether it's a run play or a pass play."

There's not a lot of either going on right now. No disruption in the backfield, and linebackers and defensive backs are being blocked.

But, as Stoops said, it's not all on the tackles. In a team sport, if one teammate is being canceled out, another has to step over and make a play. That weakens the unit as a whole, but there have been too many missed tackles by linebackers and safeties to put all the blame up front.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: OKLAHOMA (2-0) AT OREGON (2-0)
When:
2:30 P.M. SEPT. 16

Where:
AUTZEN STADIUM, EUGENE, ORE.

TV:
KTUL CHANNEL 8

Radio:
KFAQAM1170

GDC
9/13/2006, 07:59 AM
Wilson praises Peterson, bashes ABC
By JOHN HOOVER AND GUERIN EMIG World sports writers
9/13/2006

Exactly one week after pointing out the things running back Adrian Peterson can do better, offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson was very complimentary of the junior he termed "the best player in the country."

"The guy can run it," Wilson said of Peterson. "I'm telling you, it was tough sledding Saturday (against Washington) and he slammed it in there and was impressive."

If Wilson used the media to criticize his running back last week, he used his running back to criticize the media Tuesday.

"If you want a real issue, why is it on ABC the other night, I'm watching the Texas game, they do all the highlights of the games at halftime, and the Sooners are playing the Huskies on ABC, and we get no clips?" Wilson said. "Because they're trying to stack it where my man (Peterson) doesn't win the Heisman. I got Miami-FAU highlights. I got West Virginia against Eastern Washington. I got Nebraska against Nicholls State. I got Florida State-Troy . . .

"We're on a national game, regional coverage, we had two-thirds of the market, and that night when they show the clips, there's not one clip. The only comment they made about us was that Adrian can't win the Heisman. . .

"How about throwing my man a bone, because he played good and he's

a great player.".

GDC
9/13/2006, 08:00 AM
A.D. must emulate Owens to have similar success rate
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Columnist
9/13/2006

NORMAN -- If I'm Bob Stoops, and I want to absolutely guarantee my football team wins Saturday at Oregon, I'd implement the game plan before the Sooners even depart for the Pacific Northwest.

Wheels-up time on Oklahoma's charter flight to Eugene, Ore., is scheduled for Friday at 8:30 a.m. Between now and then, Stoops should take Adrian Peterson by the hand and walk him across the street.

Jenkins Avenue, on the OU campus, is the road the Sooner coach and his All-America running back need to cross together. It's the stretch of blacktop on the east side of Memorial Stadium.

Once they arrive on the other side, the two should go directly to nearby Heisman Park. More specifically, they need to check out the park's newest addition, the magnificent statue of Steve Owens that was unveiled before the season opener on Sept. 2.

Peterson undoubtedly would love to have a similar, larger-than-life statue of himself in that park one day. Who wouldn't? But the only way he's going to get one is if he wins the Heisman Trophy.

The Sooner junior, the Heisman runner-up as a freshman, is probably in his final race for college football's most prestigious individual honor. Unless an injury spoils his plans, Peterson is a lock to head for the NFL

after this season.

Two weeks into the season, Peterson remains in Heisman contention. But with Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn the solid frontrunner, Peterson needs to do something spectacular to catch the attention of Heisman voters.

That's where Owens enters the picture. Of OU's four Heisman winners, it's the former powerhouse running back that Peterson should strive to emulate against Oregon.

Normally, the speedy and powerful Peterson resembles the other two OU backs who won the Heisman -- Billy Sims and Billy Vessels. And he's probably versatile enough to loft a pass or two like OU's last Heisman winner, quarterback Jason White.

But for this one Saturday, Peterson must do his best Owens imitation. And that means becoming a workhorse. Instead of being the Wild Hoss of the Sooner Plains, Peterson needs to go from thoroughbred to plow horse.

Although Owens last carried the ball as a Sooner in 1969, his name remains prominent in OU's record book. Particularly in the category of rushing attempts per game, where Owens has the top seven marks and nine of the top 12.

Owens' record is 55 against Oklahoma State in his final game. He also bashed Iowa State's defense 53 times that season.

OU's best bet to down the Ducks is for Peterson to become only the second Sooner crack the 50-carry mark. He needs to have his hands on the pigskin so much he makes it squeal.

The only time OU should pass is when quarterback Paul Thompson sees the whites of the Ducks' eyes.

Here's the deal: Oregon can't wait to get the Sooners into their cozy little home, Autzen Stadium. On Tuesday, Thompson described the 54,000-seat facility as "a neat little field."

Neat? Try nasty, Paul. As in one the nastiest snake pits in all the land. Visitors who go hunting for Ducks in this pit usually end up being the ones taking the shots.

Oregon fans have been waiting for this return match in the two-game series ever since OU won the first at home in 2004, 31-7. The Ducks' anger and anticipation doubled when the Sooners whipped them again last December in the Holiday Bowl, 17-14.

Tailgating has probably already started outside Autzen Stadium. By game time, the majority of those party animals in green and gold should be psyched completely out of their gourds as they attempt to break the sound barrier while taunting the Sooners.

The best way for a visiting team to shut up vocal and hostile crowds is to take the football and run it down the home team's throat. And then repeat the process as often as possible.

Peterson's single-game high for carries was 36 against Kansas State in 2004. In OU's two wins this season, Peterson had 24 against Alabama-Birmingham and 32 against Washington.

There is no question that Peterson is the right horse for this Autzen Stadium course. He has the strength and durability to carry the ball 50 times against the Ducks. And at 6-foot-2, 215-pounds, he's precisely the same size Owens was when he set the single-season OU record of 356 rushing attempts in 1969.

Opponents have attacked Oregon's defense the first two games by running right at it. The Ducks rank 79th nationally, giving up an average of 153 rushing yards a game.

In addition to keeping the crowd out of the game, OU can keep the ball away from the Ducks' offense if the Sooners keep pumping it to Peterson. It also will allow the Sooners' suddenly suspect defense more bench time.

And if the often over-anxious Peterson can remain disciplined enough to settle for the short gains instead of going for the home run, OU can milk serious time off a clock that's already running faster this year because of rule changes.

So, for Pete's sake, just give him the darn ball. It's a strategy that can bring Heismans, statues and, most importantly, wins back to Norman.

Online: Read Dave Sittler's blog at www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra..

GDC
9/13/2006, 08:02 AM
OU Notebook: Attention getter
By GUERIN EMIG AND JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writers
9/13/2006

Oregon lost Jackie Bates to a season-ending broken leg last Saturday at Fresno State, leaving two redshirt freshmen and a junior college transfer to fight for his starting left cornerback position.

The Ducks were already starting freshman Walter Thurmond at right corner.

With quarterback Paul Thompson coming off a career-best passing performance against Washington, it stands to reason that the Sooners might want to throw the ball this Saturday in Eugene.

"They have some young guys back there," Thompson said. "We want to try to expose that as much as we can."

"We've just got to grow up in a hurry," Oregon coach Mike Bellotti told the Oregonian.

Feeling better: Coach Bob Stoops pronounced starting fullback Matt Clapp "very probable" to play Saturday. Clapp, who missed the victory over Washington with an ankle injury, did not practice Tuesday.

Stoops also reported that Brian Simmons, a starting guard last spring before he injured his knee over the summer, is practicing again. Stoops does not know when Simmons will be game-ready.

Whatever it takes: Nic Harris, the safety who plays in the five-defensive back nickel package,

figures to be busy Saturday. The Ducks run out of a multiple-receiver spread formation.

Not that it fazes him.

"I'm a role-player," Harris said. "If Coach tells me to play the nickel, I'll play the nickel. If he tells me to go out and play the strong or the free (safety), I'm going to play that. If he tells me to go underwater and try to hold your breath for 30 minutes, I'm going to try to do that.

"I just want to add a spark to the team when I come on the field and make sure everybody stays intense."/

Sooner_Bob
9/13/2006, 08:06 AM
great articles . . .

GDC
9/13/2006, 08:10 AM
http://www.salem-news.com/sports/september112006/Ducks_football_1_91106.php

GDC
9/13/2006, 08:11 AM
http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/local_story_256011014.html

BermudaSooner
9/13/2006, 08:23 AM
"I'm a role-player," Harris said. "If Coach tells me to play the nickel, I'll play the nickel. If he tells me to go out and play the strong or the free (safety), I'm going to play that. If he tells me to go underwater and try to hold your breath for 30 minutes, I'm going to try to do that. "

You can't ask for a better attitude than that.

crawfish
9/13/2006, 08:25 AM
So, do we run or pass? :)

TheUnnamedSooner
9/13/2006, 08:26 AM
neat little stadium. heh, classic!

Miko
9/13/2006, 08:32 AM
"If Coach tells me to play the nickel, I'll play the nickel. If he tells me to go out and play the strong or the free (safety), I'm going to play that. If he tells me to go underwater and try to hold your breath for 30 minutes, I'm going to try to do that. " Nic Harris

Gotta love that! :D

RacerX
9/13/2006, 08:47 AM
Water is wet.
Rocks are hard.
Sittler is an idiot.

MarylandSooner
9/13/2006, 08:59 AM
If running the ball the majority of the time is the right recipe to win the game I am all for it and of course the cheers that will be aforded to AD if that happens. But, first and foremost we have to win the game and if that means that we throw the ball that is what we have to do.

The bottom line is that we win the game and if we can do that, AD will be a big part of that regardless of how many times he actually caries the ball.

Also, if we do not win the game you know that AD in the eyes of the media will lose some of his stock and it will be a hard road to regain that stock.

westcoast_sooner
9/13/2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the additional postings. The guys in Salem confused the heck out of me, though. First they say that the series started in '66, then they say it goes back to '58, then they post the series scores going back to '58. Guess neither the writer nor editor can read.

Then they go off on this whole thing about the schools comprising the Big XII vs the "official" games against the Big XII.

I'm guessing whoever wrote that article had just finished one of them funny smelling cigarettes. Sheesh.

Widescreen
9/13/2006, 09:30 AM
Sittler's wrong about running AD until he drops. Team goals are more important than individual honors. We should ALWAYS focus on taking what the defense gives. If that means running AD 50 times, that's fine as long as it's appropriate given the defensive sets.

GDC
9/13/2006, 09:30 AM
http://www.normantranscript.com/universityofoklahoma/local_story_254003603

GDC
9/13/2006, 03:52 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/cfootballnews.asp?articleID=174582

GDC
9/13/2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.sapulpadailyherald.com/sports/cnhisnscolsports_story_256151037.html?keyword=tops tory