PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Oregon!!!

TheHumanAlphabet
9/13/2006, 03:02 AM
Mrs THA and I arrived Portland this Tuesday afternoon. LONG day, up at 4:30am, but the fine first class breakfast made up for it...not. Got settled in the room and then hit a pub, John Barleycorns and had some fine brews...

Dinner was at Wildwood. Very fine! In fact can't say enough about the place! Excellent food and great wine selection. I had the pork chop and Mrs THA had the lamb. Mussels for starters was as fine as I have had in Brussels. Very friendly and all were excited we were going to the game, interesting, no one there was a big Oregon fan, and a couple hoped we would beat them (not pro-OU more anti-UO).

Driving is great, the Mrs. got me a iQue M5 PDA/GPS navigator and it is great! Can't wait to hit the wineries tomorrow...

Weather will probably be cool, but the wet weather may be Thursday, Friday instead of over the weekend.

More later if interested...

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Readyfor8
9/13/2006, 03:08 AM
Awesome, will you be eating some oregon duck Friday? I know I am. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
9/13/2006, 03:13 AM
As soon as I see it on the menu...

Miko
9/13/2006, 07:29 AM
Interested. Pics??

TheUnnamedSooner
9/13/2006, 07:56 AM
I will be up that way tomorrow!

I_SMELL_FEAR
9/13/2006, 08:19 AM
a couple hoped we would beat them (not pro-OU more anti-UO).

probably an okie lite fan, they hate UO more than anyone I know.

PDXsooner
9/13/2006, 10:08 AM
there are a lot of people in this state that root against the ducks and beavers simply because they're not big sports fans in general. portland is the largest city in the US with just one pro team (the Blazers) and they're a risk to move...

TheHumanAlphabet
9/13/2006, 08:32 PM
Had Oregon duck today, duck liver pate and duck confit...

Visited Ponzi, Adelschiem and several other wineries today...

Beautiful here, if you have time, drive out to McMinnville area. Hitting the Spruce Goose museum and a few more wineries tomorrow.

Texas Golfer
9/13/2006, 08:36 PM
Have a great time, THA.

Paperclip
9/13/2006, 08:37 PM
Mussels for starters was as fine as I have had in Brussels.

I just couldn't let this sentence get by. Mussels in Brussels. heh.

proudsoonergal
9/13/2006, 08:37 PM
Do you happen to know if the team hotel is the Hilton in Eugene? Also, any suggestions for a half-day in Portland tomorrow?

QuackAttack
9/13/2006, 08:45 PM
Do you happen to know if the team hotel is the Hilton in Eugene? Also, any suggestions for a half-day in Portland tomorrow?

Grats on making the trip to support your team. I am hoping for a good game no matter the outcome, but, of course prefer an Oregon win.

As far as a half-day in Portland... hmm.. depends what you are after. Two things a lot of people do not know about Portland is that it is the micro-brew capital of the world. There are more beer crafters / brewers per capita in Portland than anywhere.

The same is true of strip bars.... :eek:

If the weather ends up clear, ask someone how to get to Pittock Mansion. It rests high on a hill overlooking all of downtown Portland with Mt. Hood as a back drop.

Again, it depends what you are after.

proudsoonergal
9/13/2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm looking forward to the trip - I've never been to the Pacific Northwest.

Jimminy Crimson
9/13/2006, 09:00 PM
There are more beer crafters / brewers per capita in Portland than anywhere.

The same is true of strip bars.... :eek:

Suggestions for both categories, please. :cool:

QuackAttack
9/13/2006, 09:06 PM
strip bars - in this order from what my single buddies tell me - acropolis, stars, club 205. none of them are downtown. the closest is probably acropolis. in oregon, strippers are fully nude, beer and hard alcohol are served, and they (acropolis especially) sell a very decent steak for cheap (under $10). steak, nude women, and a full bar. not a bad combo.

micro brews.. they are EVERYWHERE. Rockbottom and Henry's are cool places downtown. The Northwest part of town is the upscale, trendy, artsy, area that houses a number of martini bars as well as numerous micro brew bars. (and good looking women)

have a great time.

goingoneight
9/13/2006, 09:25 PM
probably an okie lite fan, they hate UO more than anyone I know.

Thank you for finally noticing that point... super spek!!! :D

Boarder
9/13/2006, 10:39 PM
See ya tomorrow. Anyone with gameday parking help would be appreciated.

QuackAttack
9/13/2006, 10:41 PM
park on campus and walk. it is truly a beautifully scenic walk, and you will avoid the out-bound traffic jam.

then, after the game, go to the Steelhead. great beer, and they will have the other college games on.

Boarder
9/13/2006, 10:46 PM
So there are multiple places to park and they're easy to find?

Like at Norman you can park all over the place. Just go around campus and look for a parking lot/yard to park in?

I plan to park on campus per many suggestions.

QuackAttack
9/13/2006, 10:48 PM
yes, there are a lot of places to park near or on campus. you wont have difficulty finding parking so long as you are not waiting until the last minute. just follow signs to campus.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/14/2006, 12:35 AM
More duck this evening ;)...The duck was served with a finger potato(e) mash and blueberry compote. Very tasty!

Had dinner at Caprial's Bistro (from the PBS cooking show Caprial and John's Kitchen).

Looking forward to hitting Eugene Friday, I'll have my OU hat in the rear window.

QuackAttack
9/14/2006, 01:29 AM
Just an FYI for those Sooner fans visiting Eugene for the game.

"
To welcome Oklahoma fans, the visitors association will have staff members at the Eugene Airport on Friday. Along with Downtown Eugene Inc., the association is also planning a "Sooner Stroll" through downtown Eugene on Friday night, starting at 7 p.m. at the Ax Billy Grill & Sports Bar at the Downtown Athletic Club, and offering specials on food and drinks, as well as live music in some places, for OU and UO fans at Ambrosia restaurant, the Eugene Hilton, Rock N Rodeo and Jogger's Bar and Grill.

"It's a new thing," said Russ Brink, executive director of the downtown association. "Hopefully, it's something we can make a tradition, at least for the major games when you know there are going to be a lot of the opponent's fans in town."
"

Soonerus
9/14/2006, 01:34 AM
Quack, you seem like a good person , thank you for your sense of priorities....

QuackAttack
9/14/2006, 01:44 AM
Appreciate it, Soonerus. We all love college football, and we all love our own teams; so we really are more similar than different. After this game, especially if my Ducks can pull out their first win ever verses the Sooners, I will be rooting for Oklahoma the rest of the year. :)

I have a lot of respect for any fans that travel out of state to support their team; so, I hope, short of them celebrating a win, they have a great time in Oregon.

I expect a very good game, and I would not put my hard earned money on a winner - just too close to call.

Miko
9/14/2006, 08:06 AM
I just couldn't let this sentence get by. Mussels in Brussels. heh.

Sounds like an Ali fight.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/14/2006, 09:06 PM
For an update...

Been dropping my "crimson and jizz" bucks :) (from a previous UO poster) at the wineries...Thank goodness for sensible federal laws on shipping now...The five cases coming my way may make for the UPS person to seek a tip...:eek:

Quack, appreciate your posts. You have a fine state here. The Mrs. and I have thoroughly enjoyed our week so far and people have been very friendly. Look forward to more this weekend and hope you come away happy seeing a good game, but sad to be on the wrong end of the score...;)

Quack 10
9/14/2006, 09:49 PM
Been dropping my "crimson and jizz" bucks :) (from a previous UO poster)

THA ... mea culpa, but I already apologized for that!

So you went to Caprial's? Is it still down in Moreland? (funky little old business district with a large clock on a lamp post near the theatre?) It was called the "Westmoreland Bistro" before Caprial (or Crappy Al as I jokingly call her) became famous. My wife's a chef, and loves her.

So are you staying in the valley until Saturday? If so, a side trip to Silver Falls State Park (about 18 miles east of Salem) is well worth the trip. It's (quite literally) gorgeous.

And watch your back if you go through Corvallis! :D

Damn, this is making me homesick.

QuackAttack
9/14/2006, 09:53 PM
I am glad that you and the misses are enjoying your trip in Oregon. I agree with Quack 10, if you can get over to Silver Falls you will be glad you did. Although, be prepared for about a 4 mile hike to see about 10 different water falls.

Enjoy the game. I am expecting it to be a great one.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/15/2006, 11:46 AM
THA ... mea culpa, but I already apologized for that!

I meant a winky ;) I wasn't mad, just joking over spending our bucks.

So you went to Caprial's? Is it still down in Moreland? (funky little old business district with a large clock on a lamp post near the theatre?) It was called the "Westmoreland Bistro" before Caprial (or Crappy Al as I jokingly call her) became famous. My wife's a chef, and loves her.

I think that is where it was, old stores, cool neon signs for a hardware store just before we got there. Huge store front windows. The Mrs. wanted to go there, I don't like her TV persona, the Mrs. likes her recipes. LOL Crappy AL!!! I'll use that.

So are you staying in the valley until Saturday? If so, a side trip to Silver Falls State Park (about 18 miles east of Salem) is well worth the trip. It's (quite literally) gorgeous.

And watch your back if you go through Corvallis! :D

Damn, this is making me homesick.

Staying until Tuesday. Will check into Silver Falls.

If any of you are in Newberg, you HAVE to eat at The Painted Lady. AWESOME food. Was recommended by our waiter at Wildwood, that place has the best food presentation and tastes that I have encountered in the U.S. European style, French trained. Excellent. Even proper table service management with changes of utensils at each course. A gem in wine country.