PDA

View Full Version : More sad news

Ike
9/13/2006, 12:56 AM
This news doesn't (for all I know anyway) really have any direct connection to anyone on the board, but it is notice of a great loss to the OU family.

This afternoon, Dr. George Kalbfleish, Professor Emeritus in the Physics Department at the University of Oklahoma, passed away. Dr. Kalbfleish was a highly accomplished particle physicist, and very well known in my own field of experimental particle physics. He was heavily involved at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory almost from its inception. He was also the HMFIC of the first real experiment I ever worked on, a search for magnetic monopoles in the remnants of the run I detectors at Fermilab (we basically cut them up into little bits and ran them through our detector).

If I remember correctly, a collection of his works have been on display in the front lobby of Nielsen Hall for a couple of years now. He has directly participated in some truly amazing milestones in my field. It was truly an honor to work for him, and the University of Oklahoma was a better place for having him here. He will be missed.

Frozen Sooner
9/13/2006, 01:17 AM
:(

yermom
9/13/2006, 01:17 AM
i knew he wasn't doing well the last few times i ran into him

RIP GRK

Ike
9/13/2006, 02:06 AM
i knew he wasn't doing well the last few times i ran into him

RIP GRK

Yeah, I think I saw him in may when I came down for my sisters graduation. If I remember correctly, he was also carrying an oxygen tank around with him.

But even that didn't stop him from coming into the office to do some work. Hell, I bet he even rounded up some grad students once he got upstairs and already has a lab ready to go.

crawfish
9/13/2006, 07:30 AM
Dang. I was friends with his son, Carl, in high school.

:(

Best wishes to his family.

GrapevineSooner
9/13/2006, 09:28 AM
RIP Dr. Kalbfleish.