PDA

View Full Version : Aikman is out...

44BluesExplosion
9/12/2006, 04:46 PM
I was just a little kid living in Texas, but my old man was the team doc. I knew by Saturday night that our season was over. We would be starting a freshman the next weekend and all hopes were lost...

Jamelle's first game behind center was Iowa State. He performed well, but I don't remember seeing any hints of what was to come. OU won by 40 or so...

The team cruised through Kansas, Missouri, and I think Colorado... Our defense was amazing and we had some serious talent running the ball. Jamelle looked pretty good, but I still missed Troy.

Next up was Nebraska. This was it... The test. Jamelle showed his poise, we ran reverses, Nebraska ran reverses, we won by 20 and in doing so, got our season back. Who's Troy?

We all know the end to this story... TU beats up on Miami, OU beats up on Penn State... We are national champs.

The point? More than 20 years later I can still remember how I felt when we lost Aikman. In fact, I felt it again when we lost our latest QB... But these first couple of games sure do feel like the Iowa State, Kansas, and Missouri games of '85... Our defense hasn't been as dominating, but there is still that little "pleasant surprise" jitter in my stomach.

I know... the odds aren't with us... Lightening doesn't strike twice... Don't dream, it's bad for ya... But damn fellas - this could happen.

And if it doesn't? Hell, I'm still an Oklahoman and we all know it will be our time again... Soon.

Blue
9/12/2006, 04:49 PM
Misleading thread title...:D

BajaOklahoma
9/12/2006, 04:56 PM
I felt horrible when Aikman broke his leg. I felt like he got a bad deal from OU.

I've met Aikman recently. Sentence one and two no longer apply.

boomrsoonr
9/12/2006, 06:07 PM
I felt horrible when Aikman broke his leg. I felt like he got a bad deal from OU.

I've met Aikman recently. Sentence one and two no longer apply.

:D Yeah, the guy is a jerk. He'd have been great under Stoops, but not under Barry's offensive philosophy. And, they never got along.

ColumbusSooner
9/12/2006, 07:59 PM
Misleading thread title...:D
No kiddin', Blue. I've been waiting for that announcement for a looong time.

picasso
9/12/2006, 08:29 PM
http://adorocinema.cidadeinternet.com.br/personalidades/atores/jean-claude-van-damme/jean-claude-van-damme01.jpg

mrowl
9/12/2006, 08:35 PM
I thought this was going to be about Skip Bayless.

KingDavid
9/13/2006, 01:51 AM
I was just a little kid living in Texas, but my old man was the team doc. I knew by Saturday night that our season was over. We would be starting a freshman the next weekend and all hopes were lost...

Jamelle's first game behind center was Iowa State. He performed well, but I don't remember seeing any hints of what was to come. OU won by 40 or so...

The team cruised through Kansas, Missouri, and I think Colorado... Our defense was amazing and we had some serious talent running the ball. Jamelle looked pretty good, but I still missed Troy.

Next up was Nebraska. This was it... The test. Jamelle showed his poise, we ran reverses, Nebraska ran reverses, we won by 20 and in doing so, got our season back. Who's Troy?

We all know the end to this story... TU beats up on Miami, OU beats up on Penn State... We are national champs.

The point? More than 20 years later I can still remember how I felt when we lost Aikman. In fact, I felt it again when we lost our latest QB... But these first couple of games sure do feel like the Iowa State, Kansas, and Missouri games of '85... Our defense hasn't been as dominating, but there is still that little "pleasant surprise" jitter in my stomach.

I know... the odds aren't with us... Lightening doesn't strike twice... Don't dream, it's bad for ya... But damn fellas - this could happen.

And if it doesn't? Hell, I'm still an Oklahoman and we all know it will be our time again... Soon.

Nice history lesson. Thanks for sharing that. Spek at you.

okienole3
9/13/2006, 09:17 AM
Aikman owes a lot to OU and particularly Barry Switzer.

GDC
9/13/2006, 09:42 AM
I remember that OU-Miami game more vividly than most for some reason.

stoopified
9/13/2006, 10:08 AM
Finish the damn sentence-OF THE CLOSET.I loathe that p-rick,Acheman.He stabbed Barry in the Back,badmouthing him every chance he got in Dallas.On top of that he deliberately threw a game against the Eagles in Barry's last year with the Star-heads.Threw 2 or 3 interceptions,at least one of which was taken to the house.Worst game of that a$$hats career and he did it on purpose.I think all mention of that UCLA qb should be wiped out of OU existence.Well I did my best to hold back my TRUE feelings on the subject.I might post again later and tell you what I really think.

picasso
9/13/2006, 10:16 AM
I remember that OU-Miami game more vividly than most for some reason.
me too. I remember Irvin burning us deep early.
I remember the incredible velocity Troy put on the ball. and our quick drive/response.
I remember the Miami thugs out at midfield when we came down the ramp.

I remember the time some guy on tv said he saw Aikman and Van Damme at a gay bar.

stoopified
9/13/2006, 10:28 AM
I remember the time some guy on tv said he saw Aikman and Van Damme at a gay bar.[/QUOTE]
I'd laugh except I believe it.