PDA

View Full Version : When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 01:50 PM
Maybe I missed it and this has been addressed here already. I did a quick search and didn't find anything. But I've caught portions of this new Spike Lee/HBO documentary and thought I'd mention it.

I know, I know. This is going to turn into a political discussion, and ultimately I'll abandon this thread along with everyone else who gets sick of the polarized harping. I also know that Spike Lee is no unbiased film maker.

But I will say this: he did a brilliant job of communicating the immensity of the devastation and some of the personal stories of loss and frustration. It's easy to become a bit jaded and numb after seeing all of the coverage. It's also easy to retreat into the blame game (which he allows to happen on film, though there's plenty of blame to go around, not just directed at the Feds).

But, at the end of the day, your heart has to go out to many, many of the people in this film who just lost everything, and are dealing with some really insane conditions, even today. You're reminded that, along with the criminals, the looters and the like, there were hundreds of thousands of people like you and me affected by this. People who work, and go to chuch, and look after their families and friends and neighbors, and who will never be the same.

It's a tough film to watch, and yet you can't look away.

Rhino
9/12/2006, 01:57 PM
I've seen most of it and I agree with all you said, Jed. It's something everyone should watch.

Hearing their stories made you just sick about the whole ordeal.

soonervegas
9/12/2006, 02:05 PM
I agree 100%. Even tough there are political elements (and a few loonies) that you have to wade through....it is a great documentary about how normal Americans feel that their country (at all levels) has abandoned them.

Worth all 4 hours of viewing.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/12/2006, 02:05 PM
I watched some of the first act and stopped because it was just very upsetting and I wasn't ready to see some of that stuff.

And then I went back and watched more of it and stopped again.

And then I went back and watched more and saw bodies floating around and I cried a lot so I stopped.

But I did keep going back to watch it. I don't have anyone close to me that was effected and I thought it was the least I could do to appreciate what those people are going through. So I made myself watch the rest of it. And then I cried some more.

colleyvillesooner
9/12/2006, 02:10 PM
IBTALFTTUT

(In Before Tuba And LAS **** This Thread Up Too)

:D

LosAngelesSooner
9/12/2006, 04:17 PM
It was, and still is, a terrible tragedy.

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 04:27 PM
Encouraging post. I'd love it if everyone stayed on the high road on this one...

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 05:29 PM
...I'd love it if everyone stayed on the high road on this one...
And, THAT, my friends, is how to kill a thread in the SO. Watch and learn, people. Watch and learn.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/12/2006, 05:30 PM
And in an attempt to revive it:

You said 'chuch'...

afs
9/12/2006, 05:32 PM
i've actually changed the channel everytime i see it's on. too many emotional things on the tube right now w/ Katrina and 9-11 coverage. i suppose I'll look for it since so many others speak it's praise.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/12/2006, 05:37 PM
I'm about to get it aren't I?

Wait for it...wait for it...

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 05:37 PM
And in an attempt to revive it:

You said 'chuch'...
What? You don't go to chuch? You people disgust me.

sooneron
9/12/2006, 05:38 PM
I found it to be a pretty well made doc. You knew going in, that Spike would have something of an agenda, but the storytelling is enthralling. You can't not listen to what these people went through. I give Sean Penn more credit now than before, b/c what he did was pretty friggin kewl. Man, he sure does smoke a lot!

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 05:38 PM
Obviously I've become predictable.

sooneron
9/12/2006, 05:39 PM
Become?

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 05:40 PM
Doh.

mrowl
9/12/2006, 05:40 PM
Once I removed myself from the spike lee joint agenda part of it, I thought it was ok - good...

Hatfield
9/12/2006, 05:42 PM
it was a good doc that allowed you to go beyond the biases of the film maker and some of those interviewed.

so sad the effect it is having on the children and their health.

still can't believe how disorganized the evacuation was....i can't imagine getting on a bus seperated from my family and not know where i was headed.

so easy to ignore the sheer amount of devastation this thing caused, and it is sad that everyone "forgets" it didn't just hit New Orleans.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/12/2006, 05:51 PM
Obviously I've become predictable.

Want..to use...my spekker...on you...