PDA

View Full Version : Bill's Fish Place?

Oldnslo
9/12/2006, 10:48 AM
What happened? I was all set to have me some fried fishy goodness on gameday.

DENIED. :(

Now, my pre-game ritual is all off kilter. I made the best of it with a burger from Coach's, but...

I'm sure going to miss Bill's.

TopDaugIn2000
9/12/2006, 10:49 AM
oh wow, apparently NOTHING can survive there.

yermom
9/12/2006, 10:51 AM
i think it's the smell

dolemitesooner
9/12/2006, 10:52 AM
Its in a horriable location

C&CDean
9/12/2006, 11:11 AM
So, you'd rather go to a fish joint instead of joining all the cool people at the SF.com tailgate? Karma's a bitch.

IB4OU2
9/12/2006, 11:19 AM
The Bill's up here succs....real greasy food served in extremely small portions at a high price. I'd rather have ribs or go to the Greek House....

Oldnslo
9/12/2006, 11:28 AM
So, you'd rather go to a fish joint instead of joining all the cool people at the SF.com tailgate? Karma's a bitch.
Apparently, moreso for Bill.

I_SMELL_FEAR
9/12/2006, 11:29 AM
The Bill's up here succs....real greasy food served in extremely small portions at a high price. I'd rather have ribs or go to the Greek House....

I was going to say the same thing, I could only hope the one here (Stoolwater) went out of business and something decent went in.

I have not had good fried catfish anywhere north of I-40..

Boomer.....
9/12/2006, 11:32 AM
Its in a horriable location

but Indian Hills Stake House has been there forever.

I_SMELL_FEAR
9/12/2006, 11:34 AM
but Indian Hills Stake House has been there forever.

but really, where else do the vampire hunters have to go in the greater OKC area? ;)

handcrafted
9/12/2006, 12:06 PM
You all did not hear this from me. I have it on excellent authority that Bill's was the victim of its own failure to follow Health Dept. regulations. Place was filthy, according to my source (I've never eaten there m'self, I'm a Dead Lobster guy).

Sooner_Bob
9/12/2006, 12:12 PM
I was going to say the same thing, I could only hope the one here (Stoolwater) went out of business and something decent went in.

I have not had good fried catfish anywhere north of I-40..

That's very good to know . . . I guess I should consider myself lucky for not trying the one up here out yet.

Did you ever eat at Johnnie's before it went under? I ate there once and it was decent, but a little high priced IMO.

I_SMELL_FEAR
9/12/2006, 12:22 PM
That's very good to know . . . I guess I should consider myself lucky for not trying the one up here out yet.

Did you ever eat at Johnnie's before it went under? I ate there once and it was decent, but a little high priced IMO.

yeah, save your money and time on Bills. Now they might have something else that is decent, but I ate catfish once and it sucked..that is it for me.

Johnnies was decent...that is just a bad location for a burger joint. They are going to have to put something unique, or very popular there to get business.

I was really excited to see a new restaurant going in beside El Chico, then I saw it was a Chick fil a....bummer. I hear its good, but we need a good steak house, or good mexican. Steak could be better in town, and the mexican sucks beyond belief.

Norm In Norman
9/12/2006, 12:46 PM
Chik-fil-a is never a bummer.

Sooner_Bob
9/12/2006, 12:48 PM
Very true . . . (about the state of Stillwater's mexican and steak joint problems) I'm hoping that with the new strip mall north of Lowe's that stuff will start being built out by us.

handcrafted
9/12/2006, 12:49 PM
Word has it that Norman is getting a Ted's Cafe Escondido. 'Spoda go in next to the Super Target.

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 12:50 PM
:rolleyes:

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 12:51 PM
We need an :overrated: smiley.

handcrafted
9/12/2006, 12:52 PM

We need a "Dead. To. Me." smiley.

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 01:02 PM
Why are you posting? Shouldn't you be waiting in a 1 1/2 hour long line for some average Tex-Mex?

Sooner_Bob
9/12/2006, 01:04 PM
DOH!

TopDaugIn2000
9/12/2006, 01:05 PM

WORD

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 01:08 PM

Boomer.....
9/12/2006, 01:14 PM
I'm going to have to go with Handcrafted on this, it's pure goodness.

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 01:15 PM
I'm going to have to go with Handcrafted on this, it's pure hype.
Fixed.

Boomer.....
9/12/2006, 01:17 PM
and better Mexican places around Norman or OKC are.........?

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 01:18 PM
...all over the place.

Boomer.....
9/12/2006, 01:22 PM
...all over the place.

In Norman, I'll give you Pepe's, but that is authentic Mexican food.

Jimminy Crimson
9/12/2006, 01:24 PM
...all over the place.

BINGO!

handcrafted
9/12/2006, 01:36 PM
None of you except Boomer has even one single taste bud in your mouth, do you? Next thing you'll be dissing Pearl's. :P

Believe me, if they had an Abuelos anywhere near my house, I'd be all over that. But the trip to Bricktown + parking is too much most days.

Boarder
9/12/2006, 01:42 PM
Chik-fil-a is never a bummer.
Unless you really get a hankering for one on Sunday.

I thought Bill's catfish was delicious. So were the hushpuppies. And the house sauce. They were mega slow, but I still would go because the fish was so good.

I could say something like, "What do you expect, it's stoolwater", but I won't. I'm nice like that.

yermom
9/12/2006, 02:08 PM
Why are you posting? Shouldn't you be waiting in a 1 1/2 hour long line for some average Tex-Mex?

you are so dead to me

the wait isn't usually that long on the South side Ted's, if you go at the right time, it's usually only like 1/2 an hour or less

i still don't understand the "hype" thing, i don't think some of you have actually been there :P

IB4OU2
9/12/2006, 02:20 PM
Unless you really get a hankering for one on Sunday.

I thought Bill's catfish was delicious. So were the hushpuppies. And the house sauce. They were mega slow, but I still would go because the fish was so good.

I could say something like, "What do you expect, it's stoolwater", but I won't. I'm nice like that.

No problem because I agree......I've yet to find a really good place to eat uphere. The little Mexican joint in Perkins is better than anyplace in Stillwater.

GottaHavePride
9/12/2006, 02:36 PM
and better Mexican places around Norman or OKC are.........?

Hmmm.

1. Pepe Delgado's
2. Tarahumara's
3. Los Dos Amigos.

La Luna's not too bad. I still give Chelino's a solid "meh", but the only one I've ever been to is the 12th and Alameda location in Norman. and I try to pretend Tulio's dosn't exist.

With that said, I still pig out on some Ted's every once in a while. Sure, it's not that authentic, but it's tasty, and you get a ton of food.

I_SMELL_FEAR
9/12/2006, 02:43 PM
No problem because I agree......I've yet to find a really good place to eat uphere. The little Mexican joint in Perkins is better than anyplace in Stillwater.

Agreed on the mexican in Perkins, its pretty good. only negative is no beer.

The only good place to eat in town is Kyotos, which has the best steak in town. The rest of the places are average. Red Lobster has a decent steak most of the time also. Other than that you have to drive to Clicks in Pawnee, or the Rusty Barrel in Ponca for a good steak, which Clicks is only about 20 minutes so its not bad.

I had heard about the mexican place at the airport in Ponca City, so me and my old boss drove up there one day and ate. It was good, but not worth the drive IMO, and no better than Perkins.

I_SMELL_FEAR
9/12/2006, 02:45 PM
I dont know if it was just a good day at the restaurant, my severe lacking of good mexican food, or what...but I ate at Chelinos on North May a few weeks ago, and it was really good.

Oldnslo
9/12/2006, 02:57 PM
I like Chileno's, too, but we Chileno's lovers are in the minority here.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/12/2006, 02:58 PM

Is that a butthole smiley?

Oh, sorry - this is: :mack:

IB4OU2
9/12/2006, 03:03 PM

Hey, speaking of that BH, did he get hit in the mouth during the OSU game or did he just have a huge fever blister?

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/12/2006, 03:15 PM
He SAYS he got hit...

:norm:

Boomer.....
9/12/2006, 03:26 PM
Hmmm.

1. Pepe Delgado's
2. Tarahumara's
3. Los Dos Amigos.

La Luna's not too bad. I still give Chelino's a solid "meh", but the only one I've ever been to is the 12th and Alameda location in Norman. and I try to pretend Tulio's dosn't exist.

With that said, I still pig out on some Ted's every once in a while. Sure, it's not that authentic, but it's tasty, and you get a ton of food.

In Norman, I'll give you Pepe's, but that is authentic Mexican food.

I will give you Tarahumara's, but definitely not Los Dos Amigos or Chelinos.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/12/2006, 03:51 PM
Tarahumara's is awesome. I went there last night.

Chelino's on S. Walker and on S. Robinson are also very good.

Ted's is overrated <clap, clap, clap>. I always feel like I'm in a Pepto commercial when I leave there.

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 04:01 PM

Dammit. I've used my spekker on you too recently.

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 04:01 PM
I suddenly feel very warm.

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 04:11 PM
Let me reiterate: I have never, ever said Ted's is bad food. Heck, I'd easily put it in the top ten Tex-Mex places in the metro, maybe even the top five. That said, the amount of worship the place gets is severely disproportionate to its goodness.

Taxman71
9/12/2006, 04:12 PM
Chelino's is good if you avoid the one in Bricktown. The one on S. Walker and Robinson (I think) are good. The old lazy hags that work at the one in Bricktown make me want to join the minutemen.

Jimminy Crimson
9/12/2006, 04:13 PM
Believe me, if they had an Abuelos anywhere near my house, I'd be all over that. But the trip to Bricktown + parking is too much most days.

There is one on Memorial near Quail in OKC, with free parking! ;)

Taxman71
9/12/2006, 04:14 PM
Let me reiterate: I have never, ever said Ted's is bad food. Heck, I'd easily put it in the top ten Tex-Mex places in the metro, maybe even the top five. That said, the amount of worship the place gets is severely disproportionate to its goodness.'s Good? Yes.

Agreed. Is Ted's good? Yes. Is it worth driving to OKC from palookaville for a 2 hour wait? Hell no. Ted's is like OU going 9-3 in football. Better than most, but not worth rejoicing over.

Jimminy Crimson
9/12/2006, 04:15 PM
the wait isn't usually that long on the South side Ted's, if you go at the right time, it's usually only like 1/2 an hour or less

But, its on the south side! :eek:

Taxman71
9/12/2006, 04:15 PM
There is one on Memorial near Quail in OKC, with free parking! ;)

Or you could park behind Toby Keith's bar for free and walk to Abuelo's in bricktown. Why do people hate to walk?

Jimminy Crimson
9/12/2006, 04:17 PM
Or you could park behind Toby Keith's bar for free and walk to Abuelo's in bricktown. Why do people hate to walk?

You know the free parking is supposed to be for lower bricktown. :D

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 04:17 PM
The day I wait a half hour to sit down and order any Tex-Mex, anywhere, someone please shoot me.

And I love Tex-Mex.

TexasLidig8r
9/12/2006, 04:19 PM
From the title, I thought this was a thread about Monica Lewinski.

Mixer!
9/12/2006, 04:37 PM
and now: a PSA for the patrons of SoonerFans.com -

Don't eat at the Bill's Fish House in Stilly unless you have an affinity for orange walls (goes double for Aggie's Steak House). YWIA.

El Vaquero/El Tapatio are bland, but several steps up over Mexico Joes, so everybody here thinks it's "terrific, authentic fare!" There's rumor of a Logan's Roadhouse going in up by the new mall, but I know nothing about them. Are they any good?

Boomer.....
9/12/2006, 04:39 PM
The day I wait a half hour to sit down and order any Tex-Mex, anywhere, someone please shoot me.

And I love Tex-Mex.

Tarahumara's is easily a 30 minute wait. :texan:

mdklatt
9/12/2006, 04:43 PM

:pop:

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 04:43 PM
Tarahumara's is easily a 30 minute wait. :texan:
Not when I've eaten there. And, to qualify my previous post, I meant if I'm there for the food. I have very often waited in line at places I didn't think were worth waiting in line for, just to enjoy a lunch with friends who wanted to go there.

The company I'm enjoying always factors into a decision to do such things. The fact that I have eaten at Eischen's more than one time in my life is a testament to that.

IB4OU2
9/12/2006, 04:46 PM
Not when I've eaten there. And, to qualify my previous post, I meant if I'm there for the food. I have very often waited in line at places I didn't think were worth waiting in line for, just to enjoy a lunch with friends who wanted to go there.

The company I'm enjoying always factors into a decision to do such things. The fact that I have eaten at Eischen's more than one time in my life is a testament to that.

Eischens? VK knows we think they succ.....:D ;)

Oldnslo
9/12/2006, 04:48 PM
Okay. I'm kind of in line with Brother Jed. I like Teds, but I don't think it's teh awexome. There's one in Broken Arrow now, and I've gone there (when I happened to be in that neck of the woods) but I didn't wait. Table for 2 was open.

I've come to dig Abuello's, and not just because they're a MAJOR SPONSOR on MIX 96! In fact, I'll be eating there tomorrow with Dave, Nina, and the Mix 96 Office of the Week winner!

Enter now!

They've got this ancho chile pork chop that'll make you happy. In your pants.

Taxman71
9/12/2006, 04:53 PM
I always laugh at the people waiting for a table at Tarahumara's as I leave with my togo order. I actually like it better to go because they serve your food so fast you don't really have time to enjoy the chips/salsa/cheese/salsa verde. It is faster than fast food and not horribly more expensive.

Boarder
9/12/2006, 05:38 PM
and now: a PSA for the patrons of SoonerFans.com -

Don't eat at the Bill's Fish House in Stilly unless you have an affinity for orange walls (goes double for Aggie's Steak House). YWIA.

El Vaquero/El Tapatio are bland, but several steps up over Mexico Joes, so everybody here thinks it's "terrific, authentic fare!" There's rumor of a Logan's Roadhouse going in up by the new mall, but I know nothing about them. Are they any good?
I'm gonna make all this remembering stuff easy on myself and never go to stoolwater. Simple. Problem solved.

I have never waited for more than 4-5 minutes at Tarahumara.

Is there still a Chick and Millie's in Ponca City?

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 05:43 PM
Whoa, whoa, WHOA!!! Wait just a minute here!! If you don't go to stoolwater, how else are you going to choose from the world's greatest selection of Joe's Clothes?

Half a Hundred
9/12/2006, 07:35 PM
Re: Mexican food (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-179.html)

Boomer.....
9/12/2006, 08:09 PM
I always laugh at the people waiting for a table at Tarahumara's as I leave with my togo order. I actually like it better to go because they serve your food so fast you don't really have time to enjoy the chips/salsa/cheese/salsa verde. It is faster than fast food and not horribly more expensive.

I've done the same thing at Ted's. Just sayin'.

Sooner24
9/12/2006, 10:27 PM
Ted's Cafe Escondido is way over hyped. We have a better Messican food place here in Ardmore then Ted's.

The best thing about Chelino's is the fried jalapenos they will bring out if you ask. Their watered down cheese sauce is the suc.

Sooner24
9/12/2006, 10:28 PM
Bills Catfish in Lone Grove isn't any better then the one that shut down on Indian Hills.

BigRedJed
9/13/2006, 02:11 PM
Ted's Cafe Escondido is way over hyped. We have a better Messican food place here in Ardmore then Ted's.

The best thing about Chelino's is the fried jalapenos they will bring out if you ask. Their watered down cheese sauce is the suc.
I think I've eaten at the place you're talking about. It was pretty darn good. Even so, I was able to walk right in and get a table.

yermom
9/13/2006, 02:16 PM

Ted's will also do this, and their queso doesn't suck

yermom
9/13/2006, 02:19 PM
Re: Mexican food (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-179.html)

NickZeppelin
10/3/2003, 08:57 PM
Mexican food sucks

I'm gonna drown all of Mexican foods kittens right now.

heh