PDA

View Full Version : Noise at UO? Wilson's planning for it!

start8
9/12/2006, 09:14 AM
From the DOK

Say what? OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson equipped his offensive linemen with ear plugs for Monday's practice.

The men up front were flagged five times for procedure penalties against Washington and are now headed for Oregon's Autzen Stadium, known as one of the loudest venues in the country.

"It's a new thing," center Jon Cooper said. "Coach Wilson gave those to us to make us focus on listening, really.

"It worked pretty well. You kind of go, ‘What? What?' You have to listen for Paul. It's different. We've had speakers out there before for noise. This is something new."

Seeking consistency: Coaches said OU's offensive line played well at times against Washington.

It's the other times that concern Sooners coach Bob Stoops.

"It needs to be more consistent," Stoops said. "And we need to be better. We can play better."

Stoops was irritated by the penalties up front. Of OU's seven penalties against the Huskies, six — five false starts and one holding — were called on the offensive line.

"The bottom line is we need to be able to manage the line of scrimmage better."

soonersam
9/12/2006, 09:21 AM
Is it really that loud? Besides the Duck on the Hog...

westcoast_sooner
9/12/2006, 09:26 AM
I'm still having a tough time believing that their 40,000 fans are louder than our 85,000.

start8
9/12/2006, 09:48 AM
I think they have 60K but it the build of the stadium. I think 1/2 of it has a roof flap that bounces the noise back onto you. Our stadium loses a lot of noise out of the south endzone because it's open.

Ducksoup
9/12/2006, 11:00 AM
The issue is not the numbers of fans (record of 59,023 set when Michigan visited, which you can count on being close to broken this weekend), but rather how the field / stadium is constructed. The field litterally sits below the foundation of the stadium, so it feels like the fans are on top of the field. The fans are extremely close to the sidelines as well. It has a very claustrophobic feel to it. This is something that you really can't see from a TV camera's perspective, but when you are there in person you can see why they call it the autzen zoo. Plus, people in Eugene are just plain crazy. Not crazy like, "I love football," but more crazy like "loony bin" crazy.

The Maestro
9/12/2006, 11:06 AM
Like I said awhile back...if we can win at Kyle Field, this joint shouldn't be a problem. Our road record this decade is better than Oregon's home record.

fadada1
9/12/2006, 11:18 AM
those guys are fags.

OUster
9/12/2006, 11:23 AM
those guys are fags.

am I the only one that appreciates the Jeff Spicoli reference? good one, fadada

schlanker
9/12/2006, 11:30 AM
How rowdy can they be? They arent allowed to walk down the street with an open beer on gameday. A college town with laws on game day is a college town I want no part of.

BoomerSooner97
9/12/2006, 12:06 PM
Guys, I was at a bar in Portland last week while the UO/Freson St. game was going on. Duck calls are louder than I thought (never been duck hunting). Only one guy had one and it was pretty annoying. If 10K people in that stadium have duck calls, then it will be the loudest stadium the Sooners have ever played in...

I plan on bringing ear plugs in case some jack@%$ has one sitting behing me.

fadada1
9/12/2006, 12:18 PM
How rowdy can they be? They arent allowed to walk down the street with an open beer on gameday. A college town with laws on game day is a college town I want no part of.

those guys are fags.
i say again....

fadada1
9/12/2006, 12:19 PM
am I the only one that appreciates the Jeff Spicoli reference? good one, fadada
mucho appreciato.

Primo
9/12/2006, 12:25 PM
Guys, I was at a bar in Portland last week while the UO/Freson St. game was going on. Duck calls are louder than I thought (never been duck hunting). Only one guy had one and it was pretty annoying. If 10K people in that stadium have duck calls, then it will be the loudest stadium the Sooners have ever played in...

I plan on bringing ear plugs in case some jack@%$ has one sitting behing
me.

I thought duck calls were for calling the ducks in to kill them. :D

TrophyCollector
9/12/2006, 12:40 PM
The issue is not the numbers of fans (record of 59,023 set when Michigan visited, which you can count on being close to broken this weekend), but rather how the field / stadium is constructed. The field litterally sits below the foundation of the stadium, so it feels like the fans are on top of the field. The fans are extremely close to the sidelines as well. It has a very claustrophobic feel to it.

So it's about exactly the same as K-State. Noise will not be a factor.

Beano's Fourth Chin
9/12/2006, 12:46 PM
I like their stadium. It's pretty cool looking.

http://images.google.com/images?q=autzen

Ardmore_Sooner
9/12/2006, 12:46 PM
So it's about exactly the same as K-State. Noise will not be a factor.

I'll believe it is louder than K-State when I hear it.

TrophyCollector
9/12/2006, 12:48 PM
I'll believe it is louder than K-State when I hear it.

Meaning it's about the same number of fans about the same old dug into the ground high school type stadium.

fadada1
9/12/2006, 12:56 PM
after looking at those pictures, i fail to understand how a semi-large peice of tin can hold the sound in from the 2,000 people is covers. i think the reason why people think it's so loud there, is all the tree-hugging going on for the remaining 23 hours of the day.

fadada1
9/12/2006, 12:58 PM
besides, it's an early game out there (favors us). those dope heads will still be scrounging for eats from the previous evenings canibus binge.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/12/2006, 01:06 PM
after looking at those pictures, i fail to understand how a semi-large peice of tin can hold the sound in from the 2,000 people is covers. i think the reason why people think it's so loud there, is all the tree-hugging going on for the remaining 23 hours of the day.

Have you ever been to a game at Kansas State? Loudest place I have ever been to a football game. Not so much in 2004, but in 2000 after they blocked a punt and took it straight to the endzone, I couldn't hear my dad right next to me. I can't say much for them now, but back then the student section was at least 6 sections long. The LOUDEST game I have ever been at, much louder than A&M.

UODuck
9/12/2006, 01:39 PM
K-State isn't even rated in the top ten. Here is a ranking of loudest stadiums: http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/005536.php

I think they even have Oregon rated to low IMO. I will like to see what everyone says after the game Staurday. I'm pretty sure you will be surprized how loud it gets.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/12/2006, 01:48 PM
Oh I know I won't be surprised, I am already expecting the noise to be a factor. I don't doubt that it won't be loud.

TrophyCollector
9/12/2006, 02:27 PM
K-State isn't even rated in the top ten. Here is a ranking of loudest stadiums: http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/005536.php

I think they even have Oregon rated to low IMO. I will like to see what everyone says after the game Staurday. I'm pretty sure you will be surprized how loud it gets.

Wow, that looks really official. I was at A&M in 2000 when the officials from the Guinness Book of World Records was there to record possibly the loudest ever outdoor sporting event in the history of planet earth.

But I'm sure the guy from Fanblogs.com is more accurate and Oregon really is louder than ATM. :rolleyes:

proudsoonergal
9/12/2006, 02:34 PM
It is going to be loud. Speaking from personal experience, yes, K-State and A&M in 2000 were REALLY loud. We haven't played there yet, so how do we know if it is going to be the loudest? If we score three TDs in the first five minutes and hammer them the entire game, I'd bet it will sound somewhat like the Cotton Bowl in 2000 and 2003. :D

The important thing is that the team focus and come out with a W. And for me to bring earplugs. ;)

Miko
9/12/2006, 02:41 PM
Okay, they have a loud stadium.

Have they been lifting weights too????:eek:

Partial Qualifier
9/12/2006, 02:55 PM
I won't downplay the loudness, I'm sure it's loud as hell; but the effect the loudness might have on a team like OU is minimal.

fadada1
9/12/2006, 03:02 PM
Okay, they have a loud stadium.

Have they been lifting weights too????:eek:
OH - MY - GOD!!!!!

we're DOOOOOOOOMMMEED!

RedstickSooner
9/12/2006, 03:55 PM
Just how often does anyone expect Paul to audible at the line?

It seems to me that, say, Heupel would've been a *lot* more affected by a stadium that was overly noisy than Paul will be. Unless someone is suggesting that they're so loud players won't be able to hear him in the huddle.

My main concern wouldn't involve noise -- it'd concern their run defense.

AD don't need ears.

TrophyCollector
9/12/2006, 04:08 PM
Just how often does anyone expect Paul to audible at the line?

It seems to me that, say, Heupel would've been a *lot* more affected by a stadium that was overly noisy than Paul will be. Unless someone is suggesting that they're so loud players won't be able to hear him in the huddle.

My main concern wouldn't involve noise -- it'd concern their run defense.

AD don't need ears.

It seems to me PT has been making as many checks at the line this year as JW did. No stats to back that up, but he's certainly making a lot more than turdhead last year.

Blue
9/12/2006, 04:56 PM
Ou- Bama in Tuscaloosa was pretty loud....until that fake punt.

Bubba Duck
9/12/2006, 05:06 PM
Noise makers are banned at Autzen. It is already loud enough. Seriously, noise makers banned.

I plan on bringing ear plugs in case some jack@%$ has one sitting behing me.

proudsoonergal
9/12/2006, 06:19 PM
Noise makers are banned at Autzen. It is already loud enough. Seriously, noise makers banned.

Then why do they sell tickets to the games? ;)

Scott D
9/12/2006, 06:23 PM
Like I said awhile back...if we can win at Kyle Field, this joint shouldn't be a problem. Our road record this decade is better than Oregon's home record.

perhaps, but you have to give respect to Bellotti's non conference record at home... 23-1 overall, and 4-0 against ranked opponents. Not bad for 7 years work.

AlbqSooner
9/12/2006, 08:13 PM
When Stoops was at Florida, they prepared for the noise at Tennessee by requiring the players to practice in silence. No player was allowed to speak as they ran their plays that week. Interesting approach.

soonerfootball
9/13/2006, 01:29 AM
The issue is not the numbers of fans (record of 59,023 set when Michigan visited, which you can count on being close to broken this weekend), but rather how the field / stadium is constructed. The field litterally sits below the foundation of the stadium, so it feels like the fans are on top of the field. The fans are extremely close to the sidelines as well. It has a very claustrophobic feel to it. This is something that you really can't see from a TV camera's perspective, but when you are there in person you can see why they call it the autzen zoo. Plus, people in Eugene are just plain crazy. Not crazy like, "I love football," but more crazy like "loony bin" crazy.

Well I mean they are from oregon let's go duck hunting.. http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ys6UaS6h4bSSsM:http://www.theoldcomputer.com/Libarary%27s/Pictures/NESGameCovers/D/DucK%2520Hunt.jpg

Duke o Brewery
9/13/2006, 06:05 AM

Those fanblogs.com rankings are poor to say the least. There are about 10 stadiums not listed that should be ranked above wisconsin or FSU. I'm not saying that UO isn't top ten, but this top ten you have here is crap.

pgagolfpro77
9/13/2006, 07:24 AM
besides, it's an early game out there (favors us). those dope heads will still be scrounging for eats from the previous evenings canibus binge.

HAHAHA

"dope heads"

:D

Jason White's Third Knee
9/13/2006, 09:33 AM
I like their stadium. It's pretty cool looking.

http://images.google.com/images?q=autzen

You only like their stadium cause it's filled with fags.

Hey, check out this pic during a game day! I thought the fans wore yellow and green!

This is what it'll look like when OU playes them.

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Pac10/Oregon/aerial.jpg

MikeInNorman
9/13/2006, 09:56 AM
Noise at UO? Wilson's planning for it!

It's good thing. Lord knows, we have never played in a loud or hostile environment before. :rolleyes:

Honestly, the loudest crowd noise I have ever been involved with is every year at the Cotton Bowl, when one team is backed up on their own 5 and that yard line happens to be in the "wrong" end of the field. LOUD.

UODuck
9/13/2006, 01:21 PM
Those fanblogs.com rankings are poor to say the least. There are about 10 stadiums not listed that should be ranked above wisconsin or FSU. I'm not saying that UO isn't top ten, but this top ten you have here is crap.

SI also did a ranking last year and had UO ranked 4th loudest I think. I couldn't find the SI ranking anymore though. I didn't think OU would be that bothered by the noise except maybe having a new QB. I thought he might get rattled. The fans are great at the UO games and they are not going to throw anything or be that hostile toward the OU fans. They will be to the OU football team though (hostile not throw stuff). I think everyone from OU that is coming to the game will really enjoy the atmosphere. It's a great place to watch a football game.

I was at the Holiday bowl and really though we were going to win that game. OU defense was better then I thought. I think I should have realized with us having a new QB's (Dixon/Leaf) having only split 3 games before the Holiday bowl that we were going to have a harder time then all the Duck fans though. Good luck and Go Ducks!!!!