PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach Solves the New Clock Rules Problem

Octavian
9/11/2006, 11:32 PM
Leach calls new rules 'stupid, insane'
Tech coach goes off on clock rules for second straight week.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Every Big 12 football coach dislikes the NCAA's new clock rules to speed up the game. But nobody dislikes them as colorfully as Texas Tech's Mike Leach.

For the second straight Monday, Leach went off on the topic when asked about it on the weekly media teleconference with the coaches. Reiterating his claim that it's "the stupidest rule to come out in a significantly long time," Leach added, "This thing's insane and you know it's insane."

"I haven't heard any good reasons to do it," he said. "There are all these little dabble-around reasons: 'Some players might get tired.' Well, I don't care if they do get tired. This is football. 'Some fans might get tired of sitting there.' Well, if they do, get up and leave. I've never heard any fan anywhere suggest the game's too long."

Leach was just getting warmed up. He proposed what he modestly called "such a great idea."

"I think they ought to limit both teams to 20 plays," he said. "Then they can really get (games) over quickly and then everybody can go out and tailgate and the players and coaches can mingle with the fans and really share in the game-day type of activity."

Gotta love that guy...

All_Day_28
9/11/2006, 11:49 PM
great comments, and I must say I agree completely.. this rule is "stupid"

tbl
9/11/2006, 11:51 PM
I have a feeling this will be the only year we'll have to endure it. The fans, players, and coaches are all hating it.

All_Day_28
9/11/2006, 11:56 PM
I have a feeling this will be the only year we'll have to endure it. The fans, players, and coaches are all hating it.
God I hope so.. When I go to bed at night it's the 3rd thing I ask of God.

soonerhubs
9/12/2006, 12:02 AM
Anyone think they may recall this rule after this season?

All_Day_28
9/12/2006, 12:08 AM
Anyone think they may recall this rule after this season?
Knowing the NCAA they probably won't unless it benifits them financially.

soonerhubs
9/12/2006, 12:14 AM
Good point. Money talks and BS walks. Sad to see that happen, but you're right. I think one of the reasons for the rule change were complaints of networks about games being too long. Greedy bastards.

Earickson
9/12/2006, 12:25 AM
I originally thought there was no way this rule gets repealed quickly, but then Mike Leach called it "insane".

It will be gone next year.

I love and trust Vince Gi...., errm Mike Leach. He's awesome!!!

The Maestro
9/12/2006, 01:29 AM
So is there anyway of tracking down who is the person who FIRST came up with this idea and pitched it to the NCAA?

Steve Bartman?!?! Osama bin Laden?!?!

WHO?

sooner969
9/12/2006, 02:50 AM
I don't see how they can keep it. As much hatred that this is inviting it wouldn't be to their advantage to keep it. At least not in its current form.

Readyfor8
9/12/2006, 02:55 AM
Well the Televised games are taking the same ammount of time, but they are having more commercials or more commentary. Thus more money for the network that carries them and more money for the NCAA.

In 3 years no one will be talking about it anymore and the NCAA has a monopoly on college sports so there is really nothing we can do about it. Besides pull out from the NCAA which means making waves for schools and fundraisers.

I bet they keep it, but I hope I'm wrong.

fadada1
9/12/2006, 06:14 AM
So is there anyway of tracking down who is the person who FIRST came up with this idea and pitched it to the NCAA?

WHO?
i think we ALL know the answer to this...

bear bryant

StoopTroup
9/12/2006, 06:28 AM
I think it was done so Joe Paterno could Coach another decade or so. ;)

soonerinabilene
9/12/2006, 06:32 AM

WHO?

you guessed it... frank stallone.

dolemitesooner
9/12/2006, 06:46 AM
Its a stupid *** rule created to make more money in advertising during the extra time.

If Stoops ever leaves I want Vince gill

GottaHavePride
9/12/2006, 07:59 AM
Mike Leach does the weather (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSPcMXWJjUg)

soonersam
9/12/2006, 08:43 AM

WHO?
I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that BRSI had a roll to play in this...

tbl
9/12/2006, 10:35 AM
you guessed it... frank stallone.
Automatic comedy when you drop a Frank Stallone. :D

soonerlaw
9/12/2006, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that BRSI had a roll to play in this...

LOL! But they are under new management! :D

Scott D
9/12/2006, 10:43 AM

WHO?

a 'competition committee' of coaches....one of whom was our old friend Tommy 'Dumbo Ears' Tuberville.

The rationalization was that the new clock rules while reducing plays in individual games, would be made up for by the additional 12th game added to every team's schedule. Basically, they devised it so that the plays lost through the first 11 games would equal the amount of plays called in a 12th game giving everyone the same number of plays as they likely would have had in an 11 game season under the previous rules.

GDC
9/12/2006, 10:50 AM
Big 12 Insider: The conference buzz
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer and Wire Reports
9/12/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Leach livid: Texas Tech coach Mike Leach went on quite a rant during Monday's teleconference when asked his opinion about the rule that was implemented this season to speed up the game.

"This thing's insane, you know it's insane, and that why you asked me the question," Leach said. "It's not going to be long before there's an awful lot of people saying how insane this whole thing is."

The game clock now starts immediately after a change of possession instead of when the ball is snapped. Coaches have estimated that the change is cutting up to 20 plays a game.

Leach noted the change was made to make sure players don't get too tired and fans become too bored. Some televised game were running as long as four hours.

"I don't care if they (players) get tired; this is football," Leach said. "And I've never heard one fan suggest the game's too long.

"I haven't run across anybody that likes it, and I've run across a lot of defensive coaches that hate it. And they were the ones who were supposed to like it."

A sarcastic Leach said he has come up with an even better idea if the NCAA really wants to cut down on the time it takes to conduct a game.

"I think what we ought to do is limit both teams to 20 plays," Leach said. "Then they really get them over quickly and everybody can go out and tailgate and the players and the coaches can mingle with the fans and really share the whole game-day activity."

Leach wasn't finished. He also shared his idea on how to get the rules committee to change its mind about this latest change.

"I think they should gather up the reasons to get rid of the rule today, which there are so many that the discussions probably won't end unless they put a deadline on it," Leach said. "I suggest they deadline it at about five (p.m.), and then tomorrow morning I suggest they overturn it and we go back to how everybody has been doing it for years, and years, and years and years.

"Simply stated, I think that it's the stupidest rule to come out in a significantly long time."

Family fight: Texas will be going against an old friend Saturday when the Longhorns play Rice. The Owls' first-year offensive coordinator is Major Applewhite, who was 22-8 as a starter at quarterback for the Longhorns.

"He's like a family member of ours, and to see him as an offensive coordinator at 27 years old is just fantastic," Texas coach Mack Brown said. "We're proud of Major."

Applewhite was hired by new coach Todd Graham. The former Tulsa defensive coordinator, who replaced Ken Hatfield, has Rice playing competitively. The Owls lost 31-30 to Houston in their opener and dropped a 26-16 decision last Saturday to a UCLA team that defeated them by 42 points last season.

"I think the world of coach Hatfield, and he'll be in the Hall of Fame and deservedly so," Brown said. "But Todd has brought new energy and enthusiasm, and they are playing really hard and really well."

Rebel with a cause: Nevada-Las Vegas coach Mike Sanford didn't let his players leave the field Saturday night at Iowa State until 20 minutes after the Rebels had lost to the Cyclones, 16-10.

Sanford raced to the officials' room, hoping to convince them to review the game's final play. He believed a receiver was not out of bounds when he made a catch deep in the end zone.

"I appreciate Mike standing up for his football team," ISU coach Dan McCarney said. "This is a game of emotions, and they played the heck out of Iowa State.

"Clearly, the end of the game was officiated exactly the right way and the calls were made that should have been made. We fairly and squarely won the game."

The communication line between officials and coaches needs some improvement. It was later revealed that the play had indeed been reviewed, although nobody thought to tell Sanford about it.

News blackout: If you're a Kansas State coach or player who wants to read a newspaper or magazine, you're going to have to do it somewhere other than the football complex.

Wildcats' sports information director Garry Bowman told the Kansas City Star that new coach Ron Prince has decreed that newspapers and magazines are no longer allowed inside the Vanier Complex, which houses the team's offices and locker rooms. That even includes Powercat Illustrated, a magazine that reports with a very positive slant on all K-State sports.

Asked about the policy on Monday's teleconference, Prince said: "One thing we won't allow is anybody to set our agenda for us.

"We have a lot of work to do when we're here at the office. (So) casual reading around the office . . . We didn't feel like we really had time for that. We really want to make sure we're following our agenda and not anybody else's."

Prince said he actually likes to read quite a bit away from the office. The next time he gets the chance, he should look up the meaning for the word "paranoia."

Long haul, short runway: The Baylor Bears will fly halfway across the country for this Saturday's game against Washington State, which will be played in Seattle instead of the Cougars' home field in Pullman.

"We don't have a long enough runway here in Waco to leave with a full load of fuel," Bears' coach Guy Morriss said. "So they tell me we're going to have to stop about halfway up there and refuel."

Morriss said the players are looking forward to the trip because they will be playing at Qwest Field, the home of the NFL's Seattle Seahawks.

"Obviously, we're going into a hostile environment," Morriss said. "But I think it will be a good trip, a fun trip for our kids.".

1991SOONER
9/12/2006, 11:11 AM
"I haven't heard any good reasons to do it," he said. "There are all these little dabble-around reasons: 'Some players might get tired.' Well, I don't care if they do get tired. This is football. 'Some fans might get tired of sitting there.' Well, if they do, get up and leave. I've never heard any fan anywhere suggest the game's too long."

If the players get tired playing college football, imagine what they'll feel like when they get to the pros..

royalfan5
9/12/2006, 12:01 PM
If the players get tired playing college football, imagine what they'll feel like when they get to the pros..
pro games were consitently shorter than college games by about 25 min prior to the rule change

Texas Golfer
9/12/2006, 02:22 PM
I agree with Leach that it is about the dumbest rule change ever to come out of the NCAA.

stoopified
9/12/2006, 03:29 PM
i think we ALL know the answer to this...

bear bryantNo man,It was Tom Osborne.

GDC
9/12/2006, 03:59 PM
Texas Tech manhandled TCU two years ago in Lubbock, 70-35. The Horned Frogs, who have the nation's longest winning streak at 12 straight, are certain to be motivated by memories of that blowout against a Red Raiders' team that needed an overtime to win last week at UTEP, 38-35.

"We're playing three teams that basically have been playing with a major chip on their shoulder and have been preparing for us the better part of a year," coach Mike Leach said of Tech's nonconference schedule, which also includes SMU.

Asked about TCU's winning streak, Leach said, "We've got plenty to be concerned about without really worrying about that. But that's on our top 100 list of things to talk about and make sure we address."

Leach cracks me up.

oklaclarinet
9/12/2006, 08:46 PM
Apparently it isn't just Tuberville that favors the new rule. Mike Gundy is also a fan of the changes. He is quoted as saying, "I think it's probably here to stay. Most fans want to be out there two, two and a-half, three hours. They don't want to be there four hours. It definitely has affected the game."

My first thought was that of course Aggie fans want to be out in two hours. They are having to watch something that only passes as football in Stillwater!

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/12/2006, 09:38 PM
Apparently it isn't just Tuberville that favors the new rule. Mike Gundy is also a fan of the changes. He is quoted as saying, "I think it's probably here to stay. Most fans want to be out there two, two and a-half, three hours. They don't want to be there four hours. It definitely has affected the game."

So football fans are big wusses compared to baseball fans? :confused: :rolleyes:

KingDavid
9/13/2006, 01:46 AM
I love Mike Leach. Man, having him and Bobby Knight at the same school. That Athletic Director has iron nuts.

OUmillenium
9/13/2006, 08:39 AM
God I hope so.. When I go to bed at night it's the 3rd thing I ask of God.

So in addition to rain down Sooner fire upon the shorthorns each year at the Cotton Bowl, what is the other thing you ask of God?
:texan:

Jason White's Third Knee
9/13/2006, 08:55 AM
So in addition to rain down Sooner fire upon the shorthorns each year at the Cotton Bowl, what is the other thing you ask of God?
:texan:

Sweet, sweet man love?

tbl
9/13/2006, 09:06 AM
So football fans are big wusses compared to baseball fans? :confused: :rolleyes:
That is an excellent point... EXCELLENT!

SoonerGOP
9/13/2006, 02:00 PM

In this case it actually may be

National
Capitalists
Against
Athletics

These bastages are going to do whatever ESPN, FSN, ABC, CBS, NBC, etc... tell them to do. The broadcasters are going to want what is good for them: less game time, same broadcast time, more "analysis" sponsored by Right Guard/Pepsi/E*Trade, etc... and more time for commercial breaks at as high a rate as they were paying.

I don't think the NCAA can pull its head out of its *** unless the broadcast networks tell them it is okay.

Either that or the University Presidents (who are the ones responsible for no playoff system) have some secret ownership of the broadcast networks to further their evil hold on the nature of athletic competition.

If they want to speed up the games --- here is an idea.

GET RID OF THE FRICKING TV TIME OUTS!!!!