PDA

View Full Version : The Other September 11: Gandhi and 100 Years of the Peace Movement

Hatfield
9/11/2006, 07:51 PM
The Other September 11: Gandhi and 100 Years of the Peace Movement

On September 11, 1906, in Johannesburg, Gandhiji initiated his Satyagraha against the Natal Government, which was trying to pass an Ordinance meant to disenfranchise the Indians and if passed would have made life impossible for the Indians in the country. It was on September 11, 1906, when the Indians gathered to discuss how to meet the challenge of the ordinance that Gandhiji thought of facing violence with non-violence, of fighting for truth and justice with suffering. He warned the meeting that pursuit of Satyagraha might mean prison or even cost them their life. Everyone who attended that meeting took a pledge to resist the ordinance with non-violence whatever the provocation.

In launching his Satyagraha movement in Johannesburg, Gandhiji said: "I had no companion. We were 2,000 men, women and children against a whole nation capable of crushing the existence out of us. I did not know who would listen to me. It all came as if in a flash. Many fell back. But the honour of the nation was saved. New history was written by the South African Satyagrahis."

September 11, 1906, was the beginning of Gandhiji's Satyagraha movement � it started in Johannesburg against the ordinance and was later used in India to fight for its independence. "Satyagraha," explained Gandhiji, "is a relentless search for Truth and a determination to search for Truth. Satyagraha is an attribute of the spirit within. Satyagraha can be described as an effective substitute for violence." An eye for an eye, said Gandhi, only ends up making the whole world blind.

Explaining his philosophy of non-violence to the people, he said, "I saw that nations like individuals could only be made through the agony of the cross and in no other way. Joy comes not out of infliction of pain on others but out of pain voluntarily borne by oneself. Violent means would give violent freedom and that would mean a menace to the world. Real suffering, on the other hand, bravely borne melts even a heart of stone. Such is the potency of suffering. And there lies the key to Satyagraha."

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/mag/2...

Jerk
9/11/2006, 08:10 PM
The one thing that many people over-look about non-violent protests is that they only work against civilizised governments. Try it in a good old fashion dictatorship and the people get mowed down by tanks and machine guns.

WILBURJIM
9/11/2006, 08:36 PM
On another September 11th, 1683. Vienna had been under seige for much of the summer by the Ottoman Turks. The King of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Jan Sobieski agreed to help fight off the Turks and his army shows up on the night of September 11 and the battle begins. The Turks are defeated and are denied the gateway to Upper Europe. Just one battle in what some call World War I. A war we are still fighting.

Dio
9/11/2006, 08:49 PM
Too bad Osama didn't have the same "Historical Event O' the Day Desk Calendar" Hat does.

OklahomaTuba
9/11/2006, 10:46 PM
Heh, the "peace" movement.

Worked really well for India in the long run, with the whole Pakistan thing and the cuddleing up with the USSR, and the red dots and spicy curry.

Hatfield
9/11/2006, 11:06 PM

Worked really well for India in the long run, with the whole Pakistan thing and the cuddleing up with the USSR, and the red dots and spicy curry.

you have that to say? "red dots"?? must be nice to look down your nose at people a different shade than yourself...and completely ignore the point of the article (which we both know you didn't read).

typical.

Okla-homey
9/11/2006, 11:06 PM

ease up on the Indians. they are the world's largest democracy...and besides, some Dell tech support guy in Bhopal is prolly reading this.

royalfan5
9/11/2006, 11:17 PM
Anybody looking down on the Indians is going to look real stupid in a few years. The depth of intellectual talent in the country is pretty impressive, and they have a strong and growing business culture, and they are hungry for success. I hope the United States can build a strong relationship with them that is beneficial to both parties. India should be our best ally in that region.

OklahomaTuba
9/11/2006, 11:41 PM
you have that to say? "red dots"?? must be nice to look down your nose at people a different shade than yourself...and completely ignore the point of the article (which we both know you didn't read).

typical.

I don't really care to read your daily kos crap, after seeing the hate he spews.

Besides, I hardly know how you figure I was looking down on someone noticing red dots and spicy curry.

Of course, your obession with making me out to be a racist is well known.

OklahomaTuba
9/11/2006, 11:42 PM
Anybody looking down on the Indians is going to look real stupid in a few years. The depth of intellectual talent in the country is pretty impressive, and they have a strong and growing business culture, and they are hungry for success. I hope the United States can build a strong relationship with them that is beneficial to both parties. India should be our best ally in that region.
Just pointing out the stupidity of calling the peace movement this when it was allied with Stalin.

Just saying...

soonerscuba
9/11/2006, 11:55 PM
Gandhi spews hate and loves Stalin? You learn something new everyday.

I guess you side with Malcolm X, seeing as you seem to believe that bloodshed is the womb of democracy.

picasso
9/12/2006, 12:24 AM
I like curry.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/12/2006, 01:29 AM
I can honestly say this is the first time I have seen Stalin and Ghandi used in the same context...wow

yermom
9/12/2006, 03:34 AM
seems we were allied with Stalin a few years later... was Ghandi even alive when he took power?

what the hell are you talking about Tuba?

royalfan5
9/12/2006, 08:14 AM
Just pointing out the stupidity of calling the peace movement this when it was allied with Stalin.

Just saying...
Because the United States was always allied with savory and good people. :rolleyes:

bri
9/12/2006, 08:22 AM
I think Tuba is actually devolving before our very eyes, one post at a time. Give it another year, and he'll be living in a cave, throwing rocks at trees because "limb" reminds him of "libs". :D

OklahomaTuba
9/12/2006, 08:29 AM
seems we were allied with Stalin a few years later... was Ghandi even alive when he took power?

what the hell are you talking about Tuba?

Yes, we were. And yes, he was.

Of course you won't see hat calling his own country a defender for peace anytime soon, even though we have done more for peace in this world than any one associated with the "peace" movement ever has.

OklahomaTuba
9/12/2006, 08:30 AM
I think Tuba is actually devolving before our very eyes, one post at a time. Give it another year, and he'll be living in a cave, throwing rocks at trees because "limb" reminds him of "libs". :D

Maybe. Its getting very stressful here at work these days. :D

OklahomaTuba
9/12/2006, 08:31 AM
Because the United States was always allied with savory and good people. :rolleyes:
True, but again neither did Ghandi all the time.

Ask a Pakistani about Ghandi sometime. :D

Hamhock
9/12/2006, 08:42 AM
mmmm...India Palace...71st & Lewis...

i love me some chicken tika masala..m....

OklahomaTuba
9/12/2006, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I am in the mood for some Indian food.

Oh wait, I hate indian people, dammit.

Its so hard being a racist conservative white male Christian republican these days. So many brown people to hate. ;)

Hamhock
9/12/2006, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I am in the mood for some Indian food.

Oh wait, I hate indian people, dammit.

Its so hard being a racist conservative white male Christian republican these days. So many brown people to hate. ;)

Does this preclude you eating at Brownie's? 'Cause thems some good burgers.

OklahomaTuba
9/12/2006, 09:30 AM
Perhaps.

I am not a black and white racist though. Lots a grey area to move around. ;)

Hatfield
9/12/2006, 09:37 AM
Yes, we were. And yes, he was.

Of course you won't see hat calling his own country a defender for peace anytime soon, even though we have done more for peace in this world than any one associated with the "peace" movement ever has.

i posted something about Ghandi and his efforts.

You are insane. Please seek help.

OklahomaTuba
9/12/2006, 09:41 AM
Opps, there i went and did it, said something nice about my country. ;)

Tear Down This Wall
9/12/2006, 09:51 AM
I always think it's funny that people talk about peace and point to India, a country that has a system in place to hold down the poor. What an f'ing joke. What a load of crap hindu is, too. It's like the Unitarian Church here, no real belief in anything other than what you want to believe. Wow. And, don't eat cows. And, wear your dot. Ridiculous.

Hatfield
9/12/2006, 09:53 AM
Opps, there i went and did it, said something nice about my country. ;)

and i didn't say anything negative about our country. :)

soonerscuba
9/12/2006, 09:56 AM
People believe that mankind is the result of a talking snake in a tree? Wow.

NormanPride
9/12/2006, 10:10 AM
This thread fails like no other. I don't think people even know what they're arguing about. If you want to spew hate randomly, why not just heap it all on Texas?

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/12/2006, 10:17 AM
To be fair I would rather invite Stalin than about 95% of all horn fans to a tea party

NormanPride
9/12/2006, 10:20 AM
To be fair I would rather invite Stalin than about 95% of all horn fans to a tea party

You're assuming Stalin wasn't a whorn fan.

Hatfield
9/12/2006, 10:32 AM
You're assuming Stalin wasn't a whorn fan.

even he wasn't that deranged

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/12/2006, 10:50 AM
Was Stalin gay...because I hear that improves your chances of being horn something like 90% the rest are San Francisco Community College

yermom
9/12/2006, 10:50 AM

dude, only wh0rns have tea parties

picasso
9/12/2006, 10:52 AM
hinduism broke up the Beatles.

Frozen Sooner
9/12/2006, 10:53 AM
Was Stalin gay...because I hear that improves your chances of being horn something like 90% the rest are San Francisco Community College

Er, there's been a few Sooners over the last couple of years that came from SFCC...

Oldnslo
9/12/2006, 10:54 AM
Pakistanis are in remarkably short supply in my immediate area.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/12/2006, 11:16 AM
Er, there's been a few Sooners over the last couple of years that came from SFCC...

and..... ;)

If I was an athlete I would go there...think about it...you don't want the pooty distracting you from your grades!!