PDA

View Full Version : Greatest loss to music fans

lexsooner
9/11/2006, 07:31 PM
So which music superstar's early demise was the greatest loss to music fans?

- Patsy Cline

- Hank Williams

- Bob Marley

- Janice Joplin

- Jim Morrison

- Buddy Holly

- other

I vote for Patsy Cline. I can only imagine what she would have done if she had lived a long life.

sanantoniosooner
9/11/2006, 07:32 PM
buddy holly

or the arm from the def leopard guy.

Rogue
9/11/2006, 07:35 PM
-other...Jimi Hendrix

jk the sooner fan
9/11/2006, 07:35 PM
buddy holly - no contest

WILBURJIM
9/11/2006, 07:36 PM
other- Jimi Hendrix.

afs
9/11/2006, 07:37 PM
other

jk the sooner fan
9/11/2006, 07:39 PM
i'd add karen carpenter to that list to choose from

OCUDad
9/11/2006, 07:48 PM
I miss Jim Croce.

usmc-sooner
9/11/2006, 07:54 PM
Hank Williams

Rogue
9/11/2006, 07:57 PM
Other than Jimi, I'd say Stevie Ray Vaughn is a close 2nd.

OUHOMER
9/11/2006, 08:00 PM
I miss Jim Croce.

Good choice, Also Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ronnie Van Zant and company

Hatfield
9/11/2006, 08:01 PM
stevie ray vaughn no doubt

Vaevictis
9/11/2006, 08:04 PM
I'm suprised nobody's mentioned John Lennon yet.

Hatfield
9/11/2006, 08:08 PM
I'm suprised nobody's mentioned John Lennon yet.

i'm not. ;)

picasso
9/11/2006, 08:28 PM
the big bopper!

Hatfield
9/11/2006, 08:30 PM
no the biggest loss by any means, but i really would have liked to see what Shannon Hoon could have offered over the last decade

HoserSooner
9/11/2006, 08:30 PM
I'm a bit biased, but I have to give a vote for Bon Scott.

Having said that though, I'm not sure if AC/DC would have had the lasting power and success without his death.

sanantoniosooner
9/11/2006, 08:31 PM
Ashley Simpson..........

oops.......confused this with a "to do" list.

KABOOKIE
9/11/2006, 08:32 PM
Greatest loss to music fans

Easy. The RIAA.

BigRedJed
9/11/2006, 08:33 PM
That's a great question. I would say Buddy Holley.

And, speaking as a big fan of the Beatles and John Lennon, I'm not sure he belongs in that group. All of the others in the original post died in their 20s, save Patsy Cline (early 30s) and Hendrix (mid 30s), and all, apparently, at the height of their creativity and popularity.

I know, I know, Double Fantasy was a great comeback album (except for the Yoko parts), and Imagine and other projects were brilliant, but I truly think Lennon peaked in the late 60s. Am I saying we might not have seen amazing things out of him clear up 'til the present day? Nope. But I think some of the others might have yet made quantum leaps in their art.

Except for Morrison. He was done.

picasso
9/11/2006, 08:40 PM
no the biggest loss by any means, but i really would have liked to see what Shannon Hoon could have offered over the last decade
3 6 9, 12 15 18...........

DoubleDown
9/11/2006, 08:49 PM
Jimi Hendrix.

Not even close.

Dio
9/11/2006, 08:51 PM
Cliff Burton

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/11/2006, 08:54 PM
Im torn among Holly, Hendrix and Karen Carpenter.(it was sad to look at her near-skeleton body)

Frozen Sooner
Buddy Holly gets my vote. Guy was amazing.

HoserSooner
Cliff Burton

Nice.

Can't forget Dime either.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/11/2006, 09:08 PM
Hank, all the way. But not as a performer, as a songwriter.

Out of all of those listed in the OP, Hank has had his material done, redone, and done again tenfold over the others. The man simply knew about cheatin' hearts and bein' so lonesome he could cry. And the fact that he was a legend in his OWN time should say enough.

olevetonahill
9/11/2006, 09:22 PM
Johnny Horton
nuff said

soonervet
9/11/2006, 09:24 PM
I second that, probably the biggest bummer for me. But momma cass would be a close second ;)

jk the sooner fan
9/11/2006, 09:26 PM
buddy holly catapulted a new genre of music into our culture.......at least imo

john lennon had already made his musical mark on the world, while he did die at a young age, not compared to the others

OUAndy1807
9/11/2006, 09:27 PM
Kurt Cobain

GottaHavePride
9/11/2006, 09:29 PM
W.A. Mozart (died at age 35)

Franz Schubert (died at age 31)

jk the sooner fan
9/11/2006, 09:32 PM
kurt cobain wasnt even the best musician in the band...

Tulsa_Fireman
9/11/2006, 09:34 PM
No, but Kurt has the best face divot in the band.

GottaHavePride
9/11/2006, 09:39 PM
Why are you all still posting? I have ended this discussion. ;)

olevetonahill
9/11/2006, 10:03 PM
Why are you all still posting? I have ended this discussion. ;)
Hell I thot I did
I said HW Jrs stepdaddy !;)

Ike
9/11/2006, 10:03 PM
That's a great question. I would say Buddy Holley.

And, speaking as a big fan of the Beatles and John Lennon, I'm not sure he belongs in that group. All of the others in the original post died in their 20s, save Patsy Cline (early 30s) and Hendrix (mid 30s), and all, apparently, at the height of their creativity and popularity.

I know, I know, Double Fantasy was a great comeback album (except for the Yoko parts), and Imagine and other projects were brilliant, but I truly think Lennon peaked in the late 60s. Am I saying we might not have seen amazing things out of him clear up 'til the present day? Nope. But I think some of the others might have yet made quantum leaps in their art.

Except for Morrison. He was done.
Hendrix died at 27. dunno about the others.

As far as greatest loss, thats a tough one. I'd like to say SRV as well, but by the time he passed on, he had already made quite a contribution, much like Lenon. I'm going with Hendrix. Buddy Holly is a good choice too though.

critical_phil
9/11/2006, 11:09 PM
buddy holly was actually the correct answer.

+5 points to sas, jktsf, brj, and wtfismikerich.

twenty-freakin-two.:(

olevetonahill
9/11/2006, 11:17 PM

I call Foul
you didn't say Youngest you said Greatest !

GottaHavePride
9/11/2006, 11:28 PM

Pfff. If Mozart had lived to 70, Beethoven wouldn't have had anything left to write. ;)

critical_phil
9/11/2006, 11:30 PM
he was the greatest. it's even more sad that he went out at 22 years old. he accomplished more in 3 years than most do in a lifetime.

so far as i know, he had no mental illness or self-destructive death wish like many of the other people listed in this thread. also, to mention the likes of karen carpenter, patsy cline or janice joplin in the same sentence as buddy holly is ****ing retarded.

GottaHavePride
9/11/2006, 11:39 PM
But mentioning Janis Joplin in the same sentence as "yowling stray cat" is perfectly appropriate. Gah.

proud gonzo
9/11/2006, 11:42 PM
But mentioning Janis Joplin in the same sentence as "yowling stray cat" is perfectly appropriate. Gah.

yeah, or "scary hippy"

tbl
9/12/2006, 12:07 AM
Buddy Holly is the clearcut choice on this one. While I think John Lennon was the most significant loss that was felt the most, he left us with PLENTY of stuff, and no telling what he might have done with the eighties influence (not necessarily a good thing). Him dying really took away the possibility of the Beatles getting back together, which would have happened and would have been amazing.

Back to Buddy... I'm of the opinion that John Lennon was the greatest R&R songwriter of all time. Had Buddy Holly lived and went through the sixties, I believe the stuff he would have put out would have been amazing. It's truly a shame to have lost such a talent at such a young age. The guy was phenomenal.

Hendrix was great and he could be a close second, just because he was so talented. I think he would have gone back to his roots and stuck with blues (as he was starting to do with the Gypsies), so we probably got a good catalog for him. Also, while he's the best guitar player, I do not believe he's the best song writer. (again, edge to Buddy).

Kurt Cobain definitely belongs on the list, though I know there are a lot of haters here. The stuff he was starting to write was going in a new direction and he was definitely gone before he had put out his best stuff. However he may have peaked and the drugs would have taken him no matter what.

Hank was greatness, but he put out a huge catalog and you pretty much would have only had more of the same. I LOVE his stuff, but lets not confuse the versatility of country with the versatility of rock.

Buddy Holly. End of discussion.

yermom
9/12/2006, 12:12 AM
Andrew Wood

personally, the first name to come to mind is John Bonham, Zeppelin could be filling venues right now if he was still alive

although Led Zeppelin had what 13 years to put out albums before he died?

i think Buddy Holly was a huge loss in terms of what was to come, same with Jimi but maybe to a lesser extent

Curt Kobain and Lane Stayley at least deserve mention :(

John Lennon also came to mind, but it's hard to think of his time being cut that short

mdklatt
9/12/2006, 12:14 AM
Buddy Holly was one of the fathers of rock.

BigRedJed
9/12/2006, 12:26 AM
Hendrix died at 27. dunno about the others...
Doh. I totally meant Marley. Now I look like an idiot.

Oh well, it's not the first time.

Today.

picasso
9/12/2006, 12:59 AM
why so much for Kobain? the grunge thing was a fad and I think he would have gone the way of Pearl Jam.

Croce would have had a long career. Of course John Lennon too.

yermom
9/12/2006, 01:07 AM
why so much for Kobain? the grunge thing was a fad and I think he would have gone the way of Pearl Jam.

Croce would have had a long career. Of course John Lennon too.

you mean like touring Europe right now supporting their latest successful album? :confused:

Jimminy Crimson
9/12/2006, 01:28 AM
February 3, 1959

Frozen Sooner
9/12/2006, 01:43 AM
What's really sad is that we'll likely never ever know who the greatest rock musician of all time really could have been, because it's likely he or she died before ever picking up an instrument or recording an album.

Just sayin'.

Jimminy Crimson
9/12/2006, 01:49 AM
What's really sad is that we'll likely never ever know who the greatest rock musician of all time really could have been, because it's likely he or she died before ever picking up an instrument or recording an album.

Just sayin'.

Froz is going on the record saying he is against abortion. :pop: ;)

Frozen Sooner
9/12/2006, 01:52 AM
Froz is going on the record saying he is against abortion. :pop: ;)

As it happens, I think I've gone on record with that position in the past in that I think it's never a desirable solution.

But you could just as easily say I'm on record as being against cutting school music programs. :D

Or chopping off the hands of people who look at musical instruments.

GDC
9/12/2006, 08:08 AM
buddy holly - no contest

absolutely

soonerjoker
9/13/2006, 10:18 AM
i've missed Elvis.

IB4OU2
9/13/2006, 10:24 AM
I can't believe Mama Cass Elliot hasn't been mentioned in this thread....

Frozen Sooner
9/13/2006, 10:25 AM
Andrew Wood

The point could be made that Andrew Wood's death was the best thing to happen to rock music in the 90s, since it paved the way for the formation of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.

imasoonergirl
9/13/2006, 10:27 AM
What no Elvis you know (THE KING OF ROCK AND ROLL)
So I guess next in line would be Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper

jk the sooner fan
9/13/2006, 10:28 AM
elvis died young? the question was which performer died at a young age......elvis only had a gazillion different records, movies and the like......i think he made his mark on the music world

Frozen Sooner
9/13/2006, 10:28 AM
I think people aren't going with Elvis because there's no real indication that Elvis was cut down either before or during his prime. He left us with a huge body of work, so we didn't really lose much.

BeetDigger
9/13/2006, 10:31 AM
What, no Billie Holliday?

Bunch of hicks.

GDC
9/13/2006, 10:33 AM
Lawrence Welk

Frozen Sooner
9/13/2006, 10:35 AM

Bunch of hicks.

Spek.

Not for Billie Holliday. I just like being called a hick.

(Actually, for the Billie Holliday)

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/13/2006, 10:38 AM
Some of the folks you guys have listed just make me so, so sad.

SRV - can you imagine what the world is missing? Because I can't...

Buddy Holly - we may be looking at an entirely different music tapestry in the world today had he lived longer.

Just horrible, horrible losses. Makes me sad. :(

GDC
9/13/2006, 10:39 AM
Brian Jones
Syd Barrett
Bon Scott
Randy Rhoads
Chris Ledoux
Michael Hutchence

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/13/2006, 10:42 AM
Randy Rhoads

OMG...

Word.

Pricetag
9/13/2006, 10:44 AM
elvis died young? the question was which performer died at a young age......elvis only had a gazillion different records, movies and the like......i think he made his mark on the music world
I was just a kid when he passed, but what, if any, effect had his decline (weight gain, drug use, etc.) had on his popularity? If he had lived and continued down that path, does everyone think he'd still be as popular today?

VeeJay
9/13/2006, 10:46 AM
Sid Vicious

frankensooner
9/13/2006, 10:46 AM
Just think, had Buddy Holly lived a full life, we would never had to endure "American Pie."

Holly was a flipping musical master and True Love Ways, gives me gooseflesh whenever I hear it.

Jim Croce was one of the most talented guitarist and songwriters ever. Anyone ever try to play his stuff can attest to his skill (I know most of it was guitar duets) but Man, that stuff is hard to play.

Maybe there is a reason the candle burns out so fast on that kind of talent. Somehow an angel slipped out of heaven and God wants them back.

GDC
9/13/2006, 10:47 AM
John Rutsey

NormanPride
9/13/2006, 10:47 AM
No love for Mercury? I guess he lived longer than most on the list... I just thought he should be mentioned.

mdklatt
9/13/2006, 10:48 AM
Randy Rhoads

Isn't he a wrestler? :confused: :pop:

GDC
9/13/2006, 10:48 AM
Isn't he a wrestler? :confused: :pop:

That's Dusty:D

OhU1
9/13/2006, 10:58 AM
Whichever of Milli or Vanilli died of the 90's super group Milli Vanilli.

Widescreen
9/13/2006, 11:19 AM
I think people aren't going with Elvis because there's no real indication that Elvis was cut down either before or during his prime. He left us with a huge body of work, so we didn't really lose much.
Not to mention the fact that he's still alive and stuff.

GrapevineSooner
9/13/2006, 11:50 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Aaliyah. At least in the R&B world, her loss back in a plane crash in the Bahamas in 2001 would have to rank up there as she died at a very young age.

Pricetag
9/13/2006, 12:17 PM
Whichever of Milli or Vanilli died of the 90's super group Milli Vanilli.
Rob Pilatus. Those guys got jobbed by their record company, big time.

GDC
9/13/2006, 12:32 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Aaliyah. At least in the R&B world, her loss back in a plane crash in the Bahamas in 2001 would have to rank up there as she died at a very young age.

Yes, she was a major inspiration for one of my dancer exes.:D

Jimminy Crimson
9/13/2006, 12:48 PM
Chris Gaines.

Died way before his prime.

:(

Sooner_Bob
9/13/2006, 12:52 PM
Ok, is it died in their prime or died too young?

Some folks could be old and in the prime of their career while others both young and in their prime.

GDC
9/13/2006, 12:53 PM
Jeff Buckley
Layne Staley
DJ Screw
The Ramones
Johnny Cash
Tupac Shakur

Partial Qualifier
9/13/2006, 01:13 PM
you mean like touring Europe right now supporting their latest successful album? :confused:

Just like the Back Street Boys and David Hasselhoff? ;)

It's Elvis, hands down. The whole "overweight action hero w/oversized prescription shades" look was a setup. He was about to go off, early-80's style & shock EVERYONE. Bowie, Culture Club, The Fixx, et al would've been green with envy.

OUstudent4life
9/13/2006, 01:33 PM
John Bonham

Partial Qualifier
9/13/2006, 01:52 PM
I agree with Yermom & OUS4L about Bonham. Zeppelin was so progressive and had such a seemingly endless supply of creativity, maybe we were really shorted 'cause of his departure.

Then again, they could've gone all post-creative-phase Metallica on us :eek: but somehow I doubt it. If they kept the band together, page wouldnt let that happen.

slickdawg
9/13/2006, 01:55 PM
No doubt, Ronnie Van Zant.

Another would be Stevie Ray Vaughn

BigRedJed
9/13/2006, 02:17 PM
Not that it probably matters to anyone, but the correct spelling of the guy's name is Holley. The Holly misspelling was carried over into his professional life because it was misspelled on a contract.

KC//CRIMSON
9/13/2006, 02:25 PM
Other- Randy Rhoads

He wasn't even close to hitting his peak, and was still mind blowing.

Fugue
9/13/2006, 02:28 PM
Bach/Mozart/Handel for me. No matter if they would have all lived to 100, it would still be musics greatest loss.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/13/2006, 03:59 PM
Not that it probably matters to anyone, but the correct spelling of the guy's name is Holley. The Holly misspelling was carried over into his professional life because it was misspelled on a contract.Spek from me and Gandalf the Grey for knowing your Holley trivia.

yermom
9/13/2006, 04:20 PM
anyone spelling it Holley is just too uppity

TUSooner
9/13/2006, 04:27 PM
Buddy Holley, because the greatest untapped potebtial was snuffed out. But consider:
Brian Epstein - not a musician, but when the Beatles lost their manager, their premature break up was fore-ordained.
John Lennon? I'm a huge Beatle fan, but John's best days were behind us, I think.
Hank Williams - I'd have loved to see an older wiser version.
Mama Cass - No fat jokes; her voice was like a pure clean stream of rainwater. Beeeeeeutiful. But did she create much music,or was she just a fabulous singer?
Jimi Hendrix - maybe, somewhat as a writer, but mostly as a guitar player.
Jim Morrison - maybe, like Hendrix, somewhat as a writer, but mostly as a voice
Janis Joplin? - Plenty of passion, and voice like rain water, but rainwater in a ditch, with mosquitos breeding in it, and a beer can at the bottom stuck in the mud.

Mjcpr
9/13/2006, 04:31 PM
If Justin Timberlake died tomorrow, I would have to say Justin Timberlake.

If that doesn't count, then MC Hammer.

Sooner_Bob
9/13/2006, 04:35 PM
Nick Lachey

oh wait.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/13/2006, 04:40 PM
anyone spelling it Holley is just too uppityhttp://www.buddyhollylives.info/mediac/400_0/media/Buddy$20Holly$20Grave$202002.JPG

mdklatt
9/13/2006, 04:44 PM
Nick Lachey

There are at least two things wrong with this....

Pricetag
9/13/2006, 05:18 PM
Janis Joplin? - Plenty of passion, and voice like rain water, but rainwater in a ditch, with mosquitos breeding in it, and a beer can at the bottom stuck in the mud.
With cigarette butts in it.

Taxman71
9/13/2006, 05:26 PM
I say Elvis and Buddy Holly because they both would have provided alot more influential music. Most of the others likely left their mark as much as they would have. Hank Williams qualifies also since he was pretty young.

The death of John Bonham was huge since it effectively meant the end of Led Zepplin who were nowhere near the end of their run.

9/13/2006, 06:02 PM
So long, funny man.

http://www.altmanphoto.com/TinyTim.JPEG

Rogue
9/13/2006, 07:05 PM
I guess I'm digging the dead guitar players more than the songwriters.
Buddy Holly/Holley? I can't believe our loss of him is greater than the losses of Hendrix or SRV. And Randy Rhodes? Meh. He was one of Ozzy's best guitar players, but Ozzy's had about 20 amazing guitar players. How many of those from Randy Rhodes and later have had real influence on music?

I'm really enjoying this thread though.

Still...
#1 loss- Jimi
#2 loss- SRV

Those doods had soul.

lexsooner
9/13/2006, 08:51 PM

Bunch of hicks.

I should have included her, and also Yardbird Parker, two jazz giants who drugged themselves to death.

GDC
9/14/2006, 08:03 AM
Robert Johnson died a relatively young man, if I recall correctly. If you ever go to Tunica go to Clarksdale south of there to the famous crossroads, and there's a good blues museum too.

Rogue
9/14/2006, 07:13 PM
Bump for my new favorite thread.

slickdawg
9/14/2006, 07:23 PM
Robert Johnson died a relatively young man, if I recall correctly. If you ever go to Tunica go to Clarksdale south of there to the famous crossroads, and there's a good blues museum too.

Indeed.

Morgan Freeman has a blues shack in Clarksdale as well. Ashley Judd hangs out there.

Johnson died mysteriously at 28, I believe, after sellin' his soul to the debbil.

swardboy
9/14/2006, 09:17 PM
I must third Amadeus..

Rogue
9/21/2006, 09:10 PM
Bump

yermom
9/21/2006, 09:19 PM
ugh... PQ still sucks

OCUDad
9/21/2006, 09:20 PM
Michael Bolton

TUSooner
9/21/2006, 10:39 PM
Michael Bolton
He's dead?
Oh yeah, his existence is a musical loss...

:O

OCUDad
9/21/2006, 11:05 PM
Bingo!

tbl
9/21/2006, 11:08 PM
The one thing that makes me wonder about some of these choices is looking at what a lot of musicians who haven't died have gone on to do. There are a lot of these people that I believe were pretty much done when they died, and all they'd be good for now are reunion tours. I can't think of any of the 60's/70's acts that are doing anything relevant today (or for the past 20 years). Tom Petty is one of the only guys that comes to mind, so I know there aren't many.

That said, Buddy Holly is still the clear choice. There's no TELLING what the 60's would have done for his writing.... What a shame.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/21/2006, 11:34 PM
I'm shocked Keith Moon hasn't been mentioned. The Who has carried on after his death, but it really hasn't been the same.
Or George Harrison. True, like Lennon, he left us with a huge body of work but I think he could have had a new album or two this millennium and still been popular to this day.
What about Harry Chapin? He probably would have had some good story songs in the late '80s and 1990s if his life hadn't been cut short.
And from the old days, Otis Redding and Sam Cooke.

Soonerchaz
9/22/2006, 03:35 AM
I'd have to agree with many here...Buddy Holly.

Ones that have affected me...

Tim Buckley
Nick Drake
Gram Parsons
Chris Bell
Kirsty MacColl (oh I miss that voice)

Desert Sapper
9/22/2006, 04:33 AM
Being that the question isn't specifically with regard to songwriting, I'd have to say SRV (35), Hendrix (27), and Rhoads (25), strictly for their musicianship. Those guys could take an average song and turn it into something magical with their guitars. Dylan may have written 'All Along the Watchtower', but Hendrix made it what it became. Voodoo Child featured some amazing licks, and SRV (a big Hendrix fan) covered it better than any other. Of course, SRV was like a medium for the spirit of Hendrix (can you name another white guy that could play like that?). What would 'Crazy Train' have been without Randy Rhoads? Randy was like music history in action. The man could channel classical music through rock music and make it not only work, but blow you away. I have yet to see anybody else that could do that.

And losing Buddy Holley (22) and Ritchie Valens (18) in the same night begs the question of what could have been. They had such raw talent and were so very young. Losing Hank Williams only 6 years earlier (age 29) when he already had such a catalog of work seems to suggest that he could have been the outlaw mentor of country music that he seemed so destined to be.

Without a doubt, some magnificent musical potential was lost with every one of these musicians. It is so difficult to judge the greatest loss, when it seems that every one of them brought so much and left with the flame burning so brightly. Great thread.

william_brasky
9/22/2006, 05:42 AM
Hendrix.

Anyone ever hear the stuff he was getting into before he passed? His style was changing, and it was effin' groovalicious.

tbl
9/22/2006, 06:46 AM
Good point on Moon the Loon. The Who definitely lost their edge when he died.

However, I think the Who are one of those bands that had already done what they were going to do. Now it would only be reunion tours and I'm sure they wouldn't have put out any new hits since the 70's as well....

Rogue
9/22/2006, 07:40 AM
Being that the question isn't specifically with regard to songwriting, I'd have to say SRV (35), Hendrix (27), and Rhoads (25), strictly for their musicianship. Those guys could take an average song and turn it into something magical with their guitars. Dylan may have written 'All Along the Watchtower', but Hendrix made it what it became. Voodoo Child featured some amazing licks, and SRV (a big Hendrix fan) covered it better than any other. Of course, SRV was like a medium for the spirit of Hendrix (can you name another white guy that could play like that?). What would 'Crazy Train' have been without Randy Rhoads? Randy was like music history in action. The man could channel classical music through rock music and make it not only work, but blow you away. I have yet to see anybody else that could do that.
.... Great thread.

Agreed on all but RR. RR was a damn fine guitar player, but not in the same league with Jimi and SRV. Those doods were incredible. RR was good, but maybe not even Ozzy's best guitar player. If you haven't posted in this thread then you must be a weiner.

Scott D
9/22/2006, 10:44 AM
Rhodes was Ozzy's best guitarist...he was more of a virtuoso whereas Zakk was more of a rhythm demolisher.

Ok yes yermom and froz, I'd put Andrew Wood high up on that list. While the demise of Mother Love Bone led directly to Soundgarden and Pearl Jam, I still think Nirvana woulda been second tier behind Alice in Chains in terms of popularity had Wood not died.

Also you are all bastards for not mentioning Charlie Parker.

UNSeeN_
9/22/2006, 03:48 PM
I would have to go with Jimmy OR 2Pac

tbl
9/22/2006, 04:13 PM
2Pac??? That fool is still releasing albums.

TexasSooner01
9/22/2006, 04:29 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughn

birddog
6/9/2007, 11:22 PM
i've been listening to alot of jeff buckley the last few days. he never had a chance to really breakthrough, and his stuff was pretty raw but you could see that he was a great songwriter.

RIP Jeff.

Rogue
6/9/2007, 11:34 PM
Hendrix.

Anyone ever hear the stuff he was getting into before he passed? His style was changing, and it was effin' groovalicious.

You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.

John Kochtoston
6/9/2007, 11:44 PM
No love for Mercury? I guess he lived longer than most on the list... I just thought he should be mentioned.

Freddie/Queen left a huge catalog, so I think we heard the best they had. Now, it might have been interesting to see what he would have done with a prolonged solo career. Dude was probably the best lead vocalist ever, though.

sooneron
6/10/2007, 12:06 AM
i've been listening to alot of jeff buckley the last few days. he never had a chance to really breakthrough, and his stuff was pretty raw but you could see that he was a great songwriter.

RIP Jeff.
This I agree with. Like Holley, Buckley's work was great up to his early death. I almost want to neg bomb Jed for saying that Morrison had nothing to add. If you haven't listened to LA Woman and realized that they were a great band again - the best since Strange Days, then you are a fool.

Scott D
6/10/2007, 12:08 AM
sooneron is right. Morrison had a ton of awful poetry to contribute if not for his timely demise ;)

sooneron
6/10/2007, 12:08 AM
sooneron is right. Morrison had a ton of awful poetry to contribute if not for his timely demise ;)
I thought we were talking 'bout music here>

Scott D
6/10/2007, 12:13 AM
well since I don't consider what Morrison did to be singing, I guess it evens out ;)

sooneron
6/10/2007, 12:19 AM
well since I don't consider what Morrison did to be singing, I guess it evens out ;)
I consider what he did to be precursor to "grunge" style of singing incorporating blues and sing song talking.

Scott D
6/10/2007, 12:21 AM
I'll give him credit, he was easier to understand than that useless hack Cobain :D

sooneron
6/10/2007, 12:24 AM
I'll give him credit, he was easier to understand than that useless hack Cobain :D
Ooh, I may not want to be standing next to you when that one goes down....

Scott D
6/10/2007, 12:25 AM
like I'm ascared of yermom. :)

sooneron
6/10/2007, 12:25 AM
Well then you coward, you should have said Vedder. :D

Scott D
6/10/2007, 12:27 AM
I always mock Vedder AFTER he defends Cobain :D

yermom
6/10/2007, 01:18 AM
i hate you guys

Scott D
6/10/2007, 01:18 AM
yer late :D

Tailwind
6/10/2007, 02:50 PM
I think that all of them were a huge loss to music. Including Janis.

Soonerus
6/10/2007, 02:54 PM
Bob Marley...

crawfish
6/10/2007, 03:00 PM
I never posted in this thread? The shame...

Holly & Croce, 1 and 2.

StoopTroup
6/10/2007, 03:01 PM
http://www.franksart.net/images/news/dimebag.jpg

critical_phil
6/10/2007, 03:02 PM
139 responses and the answer is STILL Buddy Holly.

the end.

yermom
6/10/2007, 03:11 PM
it's hard to argue with him with the effect he had in such a short time, hell even the Beatles wanted to be Buddy Holly

critical_phil
6/10/2007, 03:14 PM
exzactly.

TUSooner
6/10/2007, 03:49 PM
I think that all of them were a huge loss to music. Including Janis.
Even rainwater in a ditch with cigarette butts in it has artistic value. ;)

(I admit I am not an authority on Janis Joplin.)

Suerreal
6/10/2007, 04:07 PM
What about Harry Chapin? He probably would have had some good story songs in the late '80s and 1990s if his life hadn't been cut short.
I'm sure glad that someone in the course of an 8 page thread mentioned Chapin!

And everyone who passed a straight line like
He left us with a huge body of work about Elvis deserves neg spek. ;)

But for unrealized potential, I'd have to agree with Buddy Holl(e)y. But then, while he no doubt moved the evolution of rock & roll forward (not to mention making it OK for whites to play it), I think rock may be much richer for the fact that he wasn't around long to give it such a defined sound that it became a more narrowly defined genre. Would the Beatles have been able to move past the "I Want to Hold Your Hand" sound if they were trying to out-do the Crickets?

goingoneight
6/10/2007, 04:15 PM
If you're a hippy who OD'd and died, isn't that considered biggest "waste" to music fans? I liked a little Cobain at times, but damn... get your shat together. And don't call me rude, because if you saw my *** on TV dead from the stuff him and Layne Staley died from, you'd call me a waste, too.

Just my $.02

yermom
6/10/2007, 04:33 PM
just because it was a waste doesn't mean it wasn't a loss

drugs weren't Cobain's only problems...

Scott D
6/10/2007, 04:45 PM
just because it was a waste doesn't mean it wasn't a loss

drugs weren't Cobain's only problems...

yeah his desire to be in a boy band was probably his biggest problem.

yermom
6/10/2007, 04:51 PM
*sigh*

Scott D
6/10/2007, 04:52 PM
now don't get all upset yermom just because cobain secretly wanted to be in the new kids ;)

sooneron
6/10/2007, 06:11 PM
yeah his desire to be in a boy band was probably his biggest problem.
No, his biggest problem was ...

http://entimg.msn.com/i/gal/CourtneyLove/LoveCourtney9266016242_400.jpg

Rogue
6/10/2007, 06:18 PM
150 responses and the answer is STILL Jimi Hendrix.

the end.

Fixed.:texan:

critical_phil
6/10/2007, 06:21 PM
jimi, and possibly kurt cobain, liked the cack.

i'm going with buddy.

phead903
6/10/2007, 07:26 PM
Bob Marley...

I gotta agree with this - Bob Marley meant so much to the people of Jamaica in addition to his musical contributions....

SoonerGirl06
6/10/2007, 08:05 PM
I never saw the genius of Kurt Cobain.

Nirvana had one album with a couple of good songs.

phead903
6/10/2007, 08:07 PM

The genius was in the flannel, don't you know???:D

SicEmBaylor
6/10/2007, 08:15 PM

I completely agree. My fish year at Baylor we're on our way to a debate tournament at UTD and this grad student is in the car absolutely GUSHING over Kurt Cobain and how his music helped him through difficult times and what Nirvana meant to him growing up, etc. etc.

And I finally said something like, "Christ, you can't be serious can you? Some of the songs are fun to listen to but he was a drugged up idiot and the only lesson I can imagine any sane person taking from his life is DON'T GET HOOKED ON DRUGS!"

I think it ****ed him off.

goingoneight
6/10/2007, 08:21 PM
I liked Nirvana a little, but they were far from great, IMHO. And I'm a 90's guy when it comes to music. A lot of great bands unfortunately never were noticed for their great contributions to the art because of pop and garbage like rap and dull rock. And by dull rock, I mean a totally messed up-sounding "rock" song from the likes of Jet, or any given punk band.

For the record:

waste = "had" potential, threw it away...
loss = "had" potential or already did great things + untimely demise

critical_phil
6/10/2007, 08:32 PM
For the record:

waste = "had" potential, threw it away...
loss = "had" potential or already did great things + untimely demise

also:

liked the cack = liked the cack

SoonerGirl06
6/10/2007, 08:33 PM
The genius was in the flannel, don't you know???:D

And to think I attributed the flannel to Pearl Jam. :O

I guess that's what happens when you know nothing about trivial trivia. ;) :D

SoonerGirl06
6/10/2007, 08:36 PM
I completely agree. My fish year at Baylor we're on our way to a debate tournament at UTD and this grad student is in the car absolutely GUSHING over Kurt Cobain and how his music helped him through difficult times and what Nirvana meant to him growing up, etc. etc.

And I finally said something like, "Christ, you can't be serious can you? Some of the songs are fun to listen to but he was a drugged up idiot and the only lesson I can imagine any sane person taking from his life is DON'T GET HOOKED ON DRUGS!"

I think it ****ed him off.

Was this before or after you took a detour to Abilene? ;)

The only two songs of Nirvana worthy of mentioning are Come As You Are and All Apologies. All Apologies comes in a very distant second.

IMO his voice totally sucked.

SicEmBaylor
6/10/2007, 08:37 PM
Now, Blind Melon didn't have as many hits or records as Nirvana but I thought Blind Melon was pretty damned good. I don't know the lead singer's name but I believe he also died of a drug overdose or something along those lines.

critical_phil
6/10/2007, 08:39 PM
Now, Blind Melon didn't have as many hits or records as Nirvana but I thought Blind Melon was pretty damned good.

you're failing in your quest for heterosexuality.

yermom
6/10/2007, 09:17 PM
Now, Blind Melon didn't have as many hits or records as Nirvana but I thought Blind Melon was pretty damned good. I don't know the lead singer's name but I believe he also died of a drug overdose or something along those lines.

Shannon Hoon, he also did some stuff with GNR

yermom
6/10/2007, 09:18 PM
Was this before or after you took a detour to Abilene? ;)

The only two songs of Nirvana worthy of mentioning are Come As You Are and All Apologies. All Apologies comes in a very distant second.

IMO his voice totally sucked.

see, those are on two different albums

perhaps you should stick to girl stuff, or whatever it is that you know something about ;)

critical_phil
6/10/2007, 09:21 PM
while i'm no fan of the popcorn smiley, it's probably appropriate here

SicEmBaylor
6/10/2007, 09:22 PM
see, those are on two different albums

perhaps you should stick to girl stuff, or whatever it is that you know something about ;)
What did I tell you people about messin' with SG06!?!?! I'm ready to start a smackdown! :texan:

LittleWingSooner
6/10/2007, 09:32 PM
Patsy Kline, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, John Bonham, and Hank Williams would by my top 5 in no particular order. Holly, Valens, Joplin, Duane Allman, and SRV would be the next 5

Scott D
6/10/2007, 09:44 PM
What did I tell you people about messin' with SG06!?!?! I'm ready to start a smackdown! :texan:

he was referring to you sticking with girlie stuff you tranny chaser.

SoonerStormchaser
6/10/2007, 11:36 PM
Roy Orbison...one of the few times I ever saw my father cry.

def_lazer_fc
6/11/2007, 12:40 AM
this is a bit off topic, but i sure am glad now that once bonham died, zepp died. i say once a big piece of the group dies, that band is no more. the who should've packed it up once moon died, or at least quit being called the who. in that regard zepp gets a bit more respect in my book. although plant lost some with that horrendous puff daddy crap he agreed to.
but anyway, im totally surprised no one has mentioned bradley nowell yet. and by 'totally surprised' i mean im totally joking. that guy was a tool.

yermom
6/11/2007, 01:19 AM
you mean Page, right?

that Godzilla **** is an abomination

def_lazer_fc
6/11/2007, 01:20 AM
was it page? thats right, it was page. either way, **** sucked.

LoyalFan
6/11/2007, 03:08 AM
W.A. Mozart (died at age 35)

Franz Schubert (died at age 31)

You da man!

LF

Jimminy Crimson
6/11/2007, 04:05 AM
Joe C.

http://www.penny.ca/joe3.jpg

yermom
6/11/2007, 09:04 AM
I'm 3 foot 9. it's 10 foot long
I'm gonna smack that *** after I pack this bong

Scott D
6/11/2007, 11:43 AM
Patsy Kline, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, John Bonham, and Hank Williams would by my top 5 in no particular order. Holly, Valens, Joplin, Duane Allman, and SRV would be the next 5

damn, you might as well create tragic and self inflicted wings of your list :D

Petro-Sooner
6/11/2007, 11:45 AM
When Hanson stopped recording.

Rogue
3/1/2008, 01:33 PM
I'm glad AC/DC kept rocking after Bon Scott died. No name change needed there.

goingoneight
3/1/2008, 03:28 PM
Dimebag Darrell comes to mind, at least for me.

Turd_Ferguson
3/1/2008, 03:40 PM
Dimebag Darrell comes to mind, at least for me.Been to his clubhouse in Dallas.....it RMDO:D

SanJoaquinSooner
3/1/2008, 05:48 PM
I second Lennon.

tommieharris91
3/1/2008, 06:04 PM
Has anyone mentioned Kurt Cobain yet?

Killerbees
3/2/2008, 07:41 AM
eddie cochran?

AVM
3/2/2008, 01:22 PM
Nick Drake

Jimmie Spheeris

Marc Bolan

Rogue
5/14/2008, 08:15 PM
It's been awhile and I've given this much thought. I agree with the other 5 responders still...the death of Jimi Hendrix was the greatest loss to music and music fans.

soonerinabilene
5/14/2008, 11:46 PM

Cobain peaked about 2 years before his death, imo.

Scott D
5/14/2008, 11:49 PM

I prefer to think of that as a mercy killing.

Scott D
5/14/2008, 11:50 PM
this is a bit off topic, but i sure am glad now that once bonham died, zepp died. i say once a big piece of the group dies, that band is no more. the who should've packed it up once moon died, or at least quit being called the who. in that regard zepp gets a bit more respect in my book. although plant lost some with that horrendous puff daddy crap he agreed to.
but anyway, im totally surprised no one has mentioned bradley nowell yet. and by 'totally surprised' i mean im totally joking. that guy was a tool.

so I'm guessing you weren't a fan of the concert in December ;)

Jason did a serviceable job in his father's place.

Mixer!
5/15/2008, 08:58 AM
Red Dirt music lost their Godfather on April 22nd when Bob Childers passed away. There's a tribute concert planned for tomorrow night at Willie's in town.

swardboy
5/15/2008, 01:07 PM
Has anyone mentioned Kurt Kobain yet?

Scott D
5/15/2008, 04:26 PM
yermom pretty much said it was a mercy killing.

C&CDean
5/15/2008, 04:34 PM
Marvin Gaye. His last tune was "I heard it through the carbine."

soonerboomer93
5/15/2008, 05:02 PM
i'm about to go on a mercy killing spree against some of you Cobain haters

and by mercy killing, i mean sending Courtney Love to visit with you for a couple hours :D

yermom
5/15/2008, 05:31 PM
so I'm guessing you weren't a fan of the concert in December ;)

Jason did a serviceable job in his father's place.

i'd say Plant was probably the weak point in that show. i mean he just can't do what he used to.

still awesome to hear though.

and i'm guessing the resident stoners haven't found this thread or we'd have some Bradley Nowell mentions by now ;)

Animal Mother
5/15/2008, 05:34 PM
This thread has morphed more times than Lon Chaney Sr.
If you don't know who he was then that explains some of the highly questionable responses to the original question. If you had said certain people for certain types of music I would've been with you. Otherwise you lost me early in the thread. JMHO

On a lighter note:

Some bunch of frat boys at UT voted Janis Joplin “ugliest MAN on campus" circa 1962.
That’s brutal but funny.

5/15/2008, 05:35 PM
This is an unfair pole. No way you can rate your favorites.

Although... pour one out for Supertramp.

Animal Mother
5/15/2008, 05:37 PM
i'd say Plant was probably the weak point in that show. i mean he just can't do what he used to.

still awesome to hear though.

and i'm guessing the resident stoners haven't found this thread or we'd have some Bradley Nowell mentions by now ;)

You have ears of tin. Not to mention no one has the ability to match what they did vocally 30-40 years ago. Zep's first two LPs are months from being forty years old.

C&CDean
5/15/2008, 05:38 PM
OK, I'm changing gears here. The musicians I'm happy we lost:

Kobain (has anybody mentioned him yet?)
Lennon (the worst of the Beatles by far)
All the dead rappers who got shot by some other rapper in da hood

Everybody else was pretty good.

yermom
5/15/2008, 06:01 PM
You have ears of tin. Not to mention no one has the ability to match what they did vocally 30-40 years ago. Zep's first two LPs are months from being forty years old.

Robert Plant still kicks ***. i saw him at Cain's in 2005. 30-40 years is a long time for vocal chords though :eek:

i need to give that show another listen though, i guess. the version i have is pretty crappy. was there ever an official release of that show?

you might not find a bigger Plant/Zeppelin fan on here... i'm trying to decide if i would break my football streak if it meant getting to see Zeppelin in the fall if they tour

my worst nightmare is them playing somewhere like Kansas City during OU/TX :eek:

yermom
5/15/2008, 06:03 PM
oh, and Dean, i hate you

you're lucky i don't but a doleo/BRJ hit out on your nutsack

StoopTroup
5/15/2008, 06:41 PM
John Lennon and Dimebag. :D

Also that Kurt didn't take Courtney with him.

I wish he hadn't decided to checkout though.

I feel sad for his kid.

Scott D
5/15/2008, 11:07 PM
Robert Plant still kicks ***. i saw him at Cain's in 2005. 30-40 years is a long time for vocal chords though :eek:

i need to give that show another listen though, i guess. the version i have is pretty crappy. was there ever an official release of that show?

you might not find a bigger Plant/Zeppelin fan on here... i'm trying to decide if i would break my football streak if it meant getting to see Zeppelin in the fall if they tour

my worst nightmare is them playing somewhere like Kansas City during OU/TX :eek:

so far as I know only the bootleg versions exist of that show. You'd think that they'd have done an official DVD with the proceeds going to the same cause that the concert was for if the proceeds were really as important as they were.

Plant's too busy touring with Allison Krauss to do a tour with Zep this year ;)

Scott D
5/15/2008, 11:08 PM
i'm about to go on a mercy killing spree against some of you Kobain haters

and by mercy killing, i mean sending Courtney Love to visit with you for a couple hours :D

Cobain sobered up, realized he married Courtney Love and that his lyrics made a deaf mute sound good. So he did the only honest thing he could do. He separated his face from his head with a 12 gauge. I respect him for that. :)

texas bandman
5/15/2008, 11:28 PM
Have to go with the Lubbockite, Lubbocker,Lubbockian(whatever?)...Buddy Holly.

Animal Mother
5/16/2008, 08:11 AM
OK, I'm changing gears here. The musicians I'm happy we lost:

Kobain (has anybody mentioned him yet?)
Lennon (the worst of the Beatles by far)
All the dead rappers who got shot by some other rapper in da hood

Everybody else was pretty good.

SALTINE!!!!!Are you a Grand Dragon yet???

C&CDean
5/16/2008, 08:25 AM
SALTINE!!!!!Are you a Grand Dragon yet???

Have you moved to California and gotten married yet?

Animal Mother
5/16/2008, 11:06 AM
Have you moved to California and gotten married yet?

Gheywhey Airlines said you bought their last ticket!! They called it a brown eye flight whatever that means?

C&CDean
5/16/2008, 01:52 PM
Gheywhey Airlines said you bought their last ticket!! They called it a brown eye flight whatever that means?

So you got your ticket on Gayhound instead? Cool. I prefer not riding to California with the urine-stink crowd. I'll see you there in about 4 days...

frankensooner
5/16/2008, 02:00 PM
There are always those who ghey up a thread. ;)