PDA

View Full Version : "Barenaked Ladies Are Me"

proud gonzo
9/11/2006, 06:32 PM
I'm talking about the BAND "Barenaked Ladies" and the title of their newest album that goes on sale tomorrow, Sept. 12th.

pervs. :P

I got the cd in the mail today because I preordered it over the summer. And in reward for preordering it, I got a bonus cd that is a live acoustic recording of the songs. It's AWESOME! These guys rock my face off and I'm kinda ****ed the tour date closest to me is a tuesday night in Austin...too far to drive on a tuesday :(

I highly recommend the cd. It's fantastic. Great melodies, brilliant lyrics. I love it.

Okla-homey
9/11/2006, 06:37 PM
I generally eschew pop music. And "barenaked" is redundant.

crawfish
9/11/2006, 06:38 PM
I love barenaked ladies. The band is fantastic, too. ;)

Hatfield
9/11/2006, 06:53 PM
i use to have one of their early albums with a blue cover which was the most depressing album i have ever owned.

proud gonzo
9/11/2006, 09:08 PM
I generally eschew pop music. And "barenaked" is redundant.

what kind of music do you like?

crawfish
9/11/2006, 09:17 PM
If I had a million dollars, I would buy you a house.

royalfan5
9/11/2006, 10:14 PM
They are like the 9th or 10th best band from Canada ever.

GottaHavePride
9/11/2006, 10:19 PM
They are like the 9th or 10th best band from Canada ever.
Pfff. Bryan Adams fan. ;)

Okla-homey
9/11/2006, 10:21 PM
what kind of music do you like?

My musical tastes are eclectic, I lean toward classical. Mozart is my absolute fav but I like some of the Baroque guys too, especially J.S. Bach of course. I also really like Handel. His "Music for the Royal Fireworks" is just about perfect IMHO. More modernly, I like Smetna whose '"Moldau" first captivated me in an undergrad "music appreciation" course in 1979.

I like European and 19th century American folk music performed on period instruments as well. I like Mary Chapin and Allison Kraus too and can handle small doses of bluegrass. I also enjoy blues music and have a pretty extensive collection.

Not too big on jazz though, although I appreciate its complexity and the fact jazz musicians "in the groove" are on a different plane from the rest of us when they find that place during a set.

I like most of the Southern rockers from the 70's and 80's including bands like Molly Hatchet and the Skynyrd offshoots. For some strange reason, I also like The Ramones.

I even like the classic Motown stuff which some would categorize as "pop."

Finally, among pop artists, I'd have to give it up to the Beatles and the Stones. Its pretty hard to stay in a funk when you listen to their stuff. I also like some of the hair bands, especially Cinderella and I must admit...Bon Jovi and AC/DC.

There you have it.

royalfan5
9/11/2006, 10:22 PM
Pfff. Bryan Adams fan. ;)
More of a Sloan fan.

proud gonzo
9/11/2006, 10:59 PM
My musical tastes are eclectic, I lean toward classical. Mozart is my absolute fav but I like some of the Baroque guys too, especially J.S. Bach of course. I also really like Handel. His "Music for the Royal Fireworks" is just about perfect IMHO. More modernly, I like Smetna whose '"Moldau" first captivated me in an undergrad "music appreciation" course in 1979.

I like European and 19th century American folk music performed on period instruments as well. I like Mary Chapin and Allison Kraus too and can handle small doses of bluegrass. I also enjoy blues music and have a pretty extensive collection.

Not too big on jazz though, although I appreciate its complexity and the fact jazz musicians "in the groove" are on a different plane from the rest of us when they find that place during a set.

I like most of the Southern rockers from the 70's and 80's including bands like Molly Hatchet and the Skynyrd offshoots. For some strange reason, I also like The Ramones.

Finally, among pop artists, I'd have to give it up to the Beatles and the Stones. Its pretty hard to stay in a funk when you listen to their stuff. I also like some of the hair bands, especially Cinderella and I must admit...Bon Jovi and AC/DC.

There you have it.

I'm going to burn you a cd and give it to you at the next tailgate and you can listen to it and tell me if you put it in the bad pop category. Call it an experiment ;)

yermom
9/12/2006, 01:56 AM
speaking of The Ramones...anyone else see the kids playing Blitzkrieg Bop on Boyd before the game? i don't know what else they were playing, but they sounded pretty good for being like 12 or whatever :D

i'm not a big fan of BNL but i'd hardly lump them in with all of "pop music"

Frozen Sooner
9/12/2006, 02:01 AM
Barenaked Ladies are interesting to me just because they do such a good job with their lyrics. "Brian Wilson" is one of my favorite songs-they do a very nice job of evoking the feeling of the struggle between ennui and the creative urge building to a climax in the final chorus.

They really turn great phrases as well. Just fun to listen to, so far as I'm concerned.

Fugue
9/12/2006, 11:11 AM

There you have it.

Solid choices on the composers.
For a little reading on the Bach/Handel influence on Mozart, do a search on Baron Van Swieten. I'll try and post a link later.

Scott D
9/12/2006, 11:13 AM
Homey, Fugue won't like you unless you add a little Farinelli to your listening queue.

Beef
9/12/2006, 11:15 AM
I also like some of the hair bands, especially Cinderella and I must admit...Bon Jovi and AC/DC.
Cinderella is so underappreciated.

hurricane'bone
9/12/2006, 11:18 AM

There you have it.

Didn't I listen to an Evanescence CD in your car one time?

Fugue
9/12/2006, 11:23 AM
Homey, Fugue won't like you unless you add a little Farinelli to your listening queue.

could see it coming :D

actually, Farinelli or some of his clipped brethren probably sang for all three of those composers.