PDA

View Full Version : Paying players . . . am I completely naive or what?

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 05:38 PM
There is always a lot of banter/jesting about college players getting paid to play . . . and it's the sort of jesting where it appears to be assumed that "everyone is doing it."

Now, am I naive for believing that at least our school is running a clean program? I was impressed and encouraged by how sternly Stoops et. al. dealt with the IDIOT & his roommate. Am I naive for believing Stoops when he says, "that's just not the way we do things, here."

I recognize that everyone is going to press the edges of the envelope to be competitive, but is it simply a foregone conclusion that NCAA players are getting paid if they're at the top programs? In other words, is it a matter that the IDIOT violated the rules, or just that he got caught doing so?

snp
9/12/2006, 07:41 PM
Everyone cheats.

The Consumate Showman
9/12/2006, 09:11 PM
See Mike Gaddis' comments on news 9 about amonth ago.

KingDavid
9/13/2006, 01:31 AM
See Mike Gaddis' comments on news 9 about amonth ago.

where and how? are they archived on the web anywhere?

GDC
9/13/2006, 07:53 AM
The $50 or $100 handshakes go way back.

The Consumate Showman
9/13/2006, 09:14 AM
where and how? are they archived on the web anywhere?

see below.

NSUTEPOU The $50 or $100 handshakes go way back.

Mike was on News 9 after this happened with Mr. Retarded and said that he recieved the $100 hand shakes and that if you were a little higher profile of a guy on the team that you got more. He said it went on then and he believes that it goes on now, but that it is the NCAA fault for caving to title IX and not making a stand and saying, "Hey, these football players are bringing in a boat load of ca$$$h for their schools, why not pony up some of that money to the players for their hard work?"

And sorry all you women out there that scream title IX, but no, not all programs should get paid ALL the same because the volleyball or soccer team isn't bringing in $2 million (Holiday Bowl) up to $15 million (2000). Each program, IMO should get paid a percentage of what they bring to the table. That's my solution to this Bomargate kind of crap, but IT IS naive to think that the "hand shakes" are going to stop even if the university pays players, that is just not going to happen.

The Consumate Showman
9/13/2006, 09:15 AM
And, No. Mike's interview isn't archived anywhere I don't think.

TopDawg
9/15/2006, 05:11 PM
And sorry all you women out there that scream title IX, but no, not all programs should get paid ALL the same because the volleyball or soccer team isn't bringing in $2 million (Holiday Bowl) up to $15 million (2000). Each program, IMO should get paid a percentage of what they bring to the table. That's my solution to this Bomargate kind of crap, but IT IS naive to think that the "hand shakes" are going to stop even if the university pays players, that is just not going to happen.

That would make the situation 100x worse.