PDA

View Full Version : my good deed for the day

Ike
9/11/2006, 05:20 PM
not long after we arrived up here, the second car the missus and I brought here died. It was kind of falling apart anyway, and had over 200,000 miles on it. For a time I just biked to work until we were fortunate enough for our inlaws donated a car to us. Well, the powers that be up here recently got a little tired of seeing our old car always sitting in the same spot (but with a flat tire now) and politely asked us to get it the hell off of lab property (yeah, we live ON the lab...its fun). This is where the troubles began...sort of. It turns out that the title for said car, which was my wifes from before we got married, was still in her parents name, and located in Oklahoma. They kindly signed it over to us, and had it sent to us here. Unfortunately though, it appears to have been lost in the mail. They sent it like 2 weeks ago. We were planning on turning around and selling the car to carmax as soon as we got the title, but since it hasn't shown up, we decided to go a different route. We aren't too torn up about not being able to sell it, as it would have to be towed to carmax in the first place, and then we would likely only get enough to cover the cost of the towing plus a few bucks. The different route we went...we donated the car to lab fire department for training purposes. Now they get to set it on fire and put it out, or have it crushed and get some pratice using the jaws of life. Apparently, the fire dept here is regularly complaining that they don't get enough vehicles to train on. So it feels nice that we could help them out.....plus, now I don't have to worry about that car ever again.

the end.

yermom
9/11/2006, 05:34 PM
dude, i could have set it on fire for you

let me know next time ;)

BigRedJed
9/11/2006, 05:40 PM
From the thread title I was hoping that you had met with the people in charge of that huge collider project.

And killed them.

StoopTroup
9/11/2006, 06:08 PM
Can you collect on the insurance after the fire? ;)

proud gonzo
9/11/2006, 06:26 PM
that would be AWESOME!!!

Ike
9/11/2006, 07:11 PM
From the thread title I was hoping that you had met with the people in charge of that huge collider project.

And killed them.

ummmm...those are the people I am asking for a job.

NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

:D

Ike
9/11/2006, 07:13 PM
Can you collect on the insurance after the fire? ;)
seeing as how we took it off our insurance once we were sure we weren't going to be able to drive it*, probably not

* granted, this was probably not the wisest thing to do...but we needed the cash it saved.

usmc-sooner
9/11/2006, 07:15 PM
dude, i could have set it on fire for you

let me know next time ;)

so if I want some cars burned what's it going to cost me.

BigRedJed
9/11/2006, 08:35 PM
ummmm...those are the people I am asking for a job.

NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

:D
Folks, I hate to say it, but we're probably going to have to kill Ike too. The universe needs us.

Frozen Sooner
9/11/2006, 08:53 PM
You should have used a gigantor magnet to smash it into other cars to see what bits flew off. That'dve been SCIENCE!

Dio
9/11/2006, 08:54 PM
I thought you were going to say "Flattened a Ford Echo that was driving 50 in the passing lane", but then I realized this was Ike, not Jerk

Carry on.

Sooner24
9/11/2006, 11:36 PM
If the car was in your name you should be able to write it off your taxes as a donation.

yermom
9/12/2006, 12:28 AM
so if I want some cars burned what's it going to cost me.

wait, YOU would pay ME?

Ike
9/12/2006, 10:54 AM
If the car was in your name you should be able to write it off your taxes as a donation.
thats what I'm thinking as well.

sooner_born_1960
9/12/2006, 11:22 AM
I'm surprised the fire dept can accept your donation without a title.

Ike
9/12/2006, 11:35 AM
I'm surprised the fire dept can accept your donation without a title.

It turns out they just need our permission and the keys. The car is a piece of junk really. In order to request a copy of the title from the state (if we assume that the original is now lost forever), we would have to pay all the back registration. We haven't renewed the tag since it died...paying all that would probably be more than the car is worth.

They can get around needing the title by claiming the car is an abandoned vehicle (which isn't far from the truth). By doing so, they can legally take posession of it with no title. Technically, I think they could immediately turn it over to the FD in that manner, but they request the owners permission to do so just to avoid a headache if the owner had plans to sell or use the car.

Ike
9/12/2006, 11:56 AM
Now isn't this just the craziest thing you ever heard.....

The wife called me just now. The title came in the mail today.

I think the gods must be laughing at me right now.

sooner_born_1960
9/12/2006, 12:00 PM
It was in the mail for two weeks? How is that possible, Dean?

Ike
9/12/2006, 12:09 PM
It was in the mail for two weeks? How is that possible, Dean?

you got me. I'm dissapointed in USPS.

proud gonzo
9/12/2006, 01:23 PM
Wait... so if I got a hold of someone else's keys and gave them to the fire department along with my permission for them to burn it....that'd be ok??? :D