PDA

View Full Version : Texass letting them back.

achiro
9/11/2006, 04:11 PM
From Rivals:

September 11, 2006

Texas today reinstated cornerback Tarell Brown and wide receiver Tyrell Gatewood, who were both suspended for Saturday's 27-7 loss to Ohio following their arrests on misdemeanor drug and weapons charges.

Both players had marijuana possession charges dropped late last week, while Tarell Brown is still facing a misdemeanor charge for unlawful carrying of a weapon.

"There will be strict stipulations for each one of them," Brown said.

Among other penalties, Brown and Gatewood will have strict curfews, community service and a ban on speaking publicly, including media interviews.

"They missed the game of the year, one for no charges at all, one for a misdemeanor," Mack Brown said. "As you look at it, they were tried publicly, some fairly and some unfairly, by our media and some fan base, for a misdemeanor."

Tarell Brown figures to return to his starting spot, although Mack Brown said both players will have to work their way back up the depth chart.

"The young men have been under a lot and we've told them that they'll have to go by strict guidelines to continue to play. And they'll have to earn their jobs back," he said.

NormanPride
9/11/2006, 04:14 PM
For a gun charge, that's about right, isn't it? I mean, it wasn't like it was an uzi or something. He just had a loaded pistol, am I right? Seems reasonable to me, since the game was tOSU. Had they just missed out on Rice or something, I'd feel less happy about it.

Oh, anyone else think Mack's "game of the year" comment a bit premature? :D

FaninAma
9/11/2006, 04:14 PM
Well Shaazzaaaam! Does this really shock anybody? :D

sooner94
9/11/2006, 04:16 PM
I can see how the drug charges are no longer an issue, based on their negative test results.

But the gun would be a problem for most coaches. Guess the lack of good corners outweighs the weapons charge.

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 04:23 PM
Note to self:

If I need to carry around a loaded pistol, either: a) get license, b) change social connections, or c) don't bring it out for show and tell when pulled over by the police.

The Maestro
9/11/2006, 04:25 PM
I don't know about release on the drugs charges. Hell, Charles Thompson wasn't doing cocaine when he graced the cover of Sports Illustrated. Just cause they weren't using doesn't mean that their 3 a.m. drive around town with drugs and guns was just college kids being kids.

And, yeah, if that was the game of the year in college football this is shaping up to be a pretty **** poor year. That game was boring.

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Oh, anyone else think Mack's "game of the year" comment a bit premature? :D[/QUOTE]

Nice catch. I hope someone clipped that for the bulletin board.

SOONERKAT
9/11/2006, 04:55 PM
Possession of narcotics - intent to sell?

I can pi$$ as clean as water, but I would need my glock and some boys to watch my back if I was trying to sell the stuff.

Just sayin' ....

PalmBeachSooner
9/11/2006, 05:59 PM
From Rivals:

September 11, 2006

Texas today reinstated cornerback Tarell Brown and wide receiver Tyrell Gatewood, who were both suspended for Saturday's 27-7 loss to Ohio following their arrests on misdemeanor drug and weapons charges.

Both players had marijuana possession charges dropped late last week, while Tarell Brown is still facing a misdemeanor charge for unlawful carrying of a weapon.

"There will be strict stipulations for each one of them," Brown said.

Among other penalties, Brown and Gatewood will have strict curfews, community service and a ban on speaking publicly, including media interviews.

"They missed the game of the year, one for no charges at all, one for a misdemeanor," Mack Brown said. "As you look at it, they were tried publicly, some fairly and some unfairly, by our media and some fan base, for a misdemeanor."

Tarell Brown figures to return to his starting spot, although Mack Brown said both players will have to work their way back up the depth chart.

"The young men have been under a lot and we've told them that they'll have to go by strict guidelines to continue to play. And they'll have to earn their jobs back," he said.

Uh...didn't the arresting officer have to use a taser? I know I read that somewhere and that the chief of police confirmed that. Maybe the whole thing was an aTm conspiracy. The gun and marijuana was planted.

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 06:02 PM
Uh...didn't the arresting officer have to use a taser? I know I read that somewhere and that the chief of police confirmed that. Maybe the whole thing was an aTm conspiracy. The gun and marijuana was planted.

"They missed the game of the year, one for no charges at all, one for a misdemeanor," Mack Brown said. "As you look at it, they were tried publicly, some fairly and some unfairly, by our media and some fan base, for a misdemeanor. Plus, they got their a**es tazed. Haven't they been punished enough?"

- Mack Brown

jrsooner
9/11/2006, 07:05 PM
"The young men have been under a lot and we've told them that they'll have to go by strict guidelines to continue to play. And they'll have to earn their jobs back," he said.Translation..... "Come to practice twice this week and you can have your old jobs back".

TXBOOMER
9/11/2006, 07:12 PM
F texass!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/11/2006, 07:22 PM
Who really had any doubt they would return SOON.?

usmc-sooner
9/11/2006, 07:34 PM
you know if you were really devoted to winning you'd drop both losers who would rather go to sleep with weed and a gun, the week before your 2nd biggest game.

boomersooner28
9/11/2006, 07:45 PM
I heard the announcers during the telecast mention that former UT player Aaron Harris was also involved and he took responsibility. When did Harris get booted, or what happened to him? He was a helluva LB'er.

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 07:54 PM
I heard the announcers during the telecast mention that former UT player Aaron Harris was also involved and he took responsibility. When did Harris get booted, or what happened to him? He was a helluva LB'er.

We can be certain that Harris will be well-represented and taken care of handsomely for taking the fall. He might even be able to afford leting Brown out of his marijuana network-marketing down-line.

MarylandSooner
9/11/2006, 08:04 PM
I think they need to give Mack the p#$ss test.

MarylandSooner
9/11/2006, 08:06 PM
I think Mack should have to take a pi$$ test.

Rhino
9/11/2006, 08:51 PM
While I agree that they should be let back on the team at some point, this quote is a big tell.

"They missed the game of the year, one for no charges at all, one for a misdemeanor," Mack Brown said. "As you look at it, they were tried publicly, some fairly and some unfairly, by our media and some fan base, for a misdemeanor." You can almost smell him trying to convince himself its the right thing to do.

I heard the announcers during the telecast mention that former UT player Aaron Harris was also involved and he took responsibility. When did Harris get booted, or what happened to him? He was a helluva LB'er. Eligilibity has been used up. Didn't make it to the NFL, had really crappy 40 times.

47straight
9/11/2006, 08:53 PM
I still don't see how they are eligible after accepting reduced legal services from a booster.

SoonerLB
9/11/2006, 08:56 PM
C'mon guys, hell, it wouldn't be whorn team without at least a couple criminals on the field! ;) It'll be OK, they will leave their guns in their lockers during games, Mack'll make sure of it, LOL! ;)

horninokc
9/11/2006, 09:04 PM
For a gun charge, that's about right, isn't it? I mean, it wasn't like it was an uzi or something. He just had a loaded pistol, am I right? Seems reasonable to me, since the game was tOSU. Had they just missed out on Rice or something, I'd feel less happy about it.

Oh, anyone else think Mack's "game of the year" comment a bit premature? :D

Could be premature. We still have the Big 12 CCG and the BCS. And the gun was legal, but not in a car. But hell, half the folks in Austin carry firearms. One reason cops taze people on sight anymore.

horninokc
9/11/2006, 09:54 PM
Possession of narcotics - intent to sell?

I can pi$$ as clean as water, but I would need my glock and some boys to watch my back if I was trying to sell the stuff.

Just sayin' ....

Pot is far from narcotics and the amount wouldn't cover the face of a postage stamp in a thin layer. Barely residue. Not worth a cent. I'm from Austin. I know this stuff!;)

FaninAma
9/11/2006, 10:32 PM
Pot is far from narcotics and the amount wouldn't cover the face of a postage stamp in a thin layer. Barely residue. Not worth a cent. I'm from Austin. I know this stuff!;)

Another reason I'm embarrassed you work for the University of Oklahoma.

Desert Sapper
9/11/2006, 10:54 PM
Could be premature. We still have the Big 12 CCG and the BCS.

You better hope your players aren't thinking that way. The last time I heard comments like that was when one of the whorn players made a comment about aTm being a bigger rivalry than RRS...right before you lost 65-13.

horninokc
9/11/2006, 10:58 PM
You better hope your players aren't thinking that way. The last time I heard comments like that was when one of the whorn players made a comment about aTm being a bigger rivalry than RRS...right before you lost 65-13.

I hope they're not either. I'm sure they're not after Saturday. I have the luxury of saying stupid things to bait a few folks on a message board. They do NOT have that luxury.