PDA

View Full Version : Garret Hartley and Special Teams

Octavian
9/11/2006, 02:15 PM
Oklahoma got extra-special play from its special teams Saturday.

While the offense and defense were sluggish getting started, the kicking and return game carried the first-half load and kept the Sooners in the game.

It all began with a 53-yard punt by Michael Cohen that was downed at the 1-yard line by special teams captain Allen Patrick.

That inspired a three-and-out by the OU defense and - following an 82-yard Washington punt - a 62-yard punt return by Reggie Smith to set up OU’s first touchdown, which tied the game at 7.

And the special-teamers kept making plays all day:

Jason Carter blocked a punt and nearly blocked another, forcing the punter to pull the ball down and scramble away before kicking it.

Garrett Hartley was perfect on all three of his field goal tries (30, 37 and 44 yards), as well as all four extra-point attempts, and booted seven touchbacks in eight kickoffs. The only non-touchback was an intentional high, short kickoff late in the game to help run clock.

Cohen finished with a 44.3-yard punt average and Washington only had 15 yards in returns.

Smith averaged 25 yards on three punt returns and Juaquin Iglesias returned a kickoff 31 yards.

In all, a special day for the special-teamers.

Hartley was battling a cramp in the calf of his kicking leg when he converted the 37-yard field goal.

“Coach (Stoops) asked me, ‘How does a kicker cramp up?’ I told him I really don’t know,” Hartley said with a laugh.

Carter, who played strong safety the final three quarters, says this won’t be the last time opposing punters see him in their faces.

“Special teams, that’s my specialty,” said the senior out of Jenks. “It’s going to happen a lot this year, me putting pressure on the punters and getting something done in the special teams game.”

We knew special teams would have to be much improved for us to finish w/ a better record in '06 and so far....they have been.

All_Day_28
9/11/2006, 02:20 PM
Special Teams have been A+++ so far..

Landthief 1972
9/11/2006, 02:47 PM
A pleasant surprise for sure.

SoonerBlonde87
9/11/2006, 03:17 PM
I'm glad to know that Garrett wasn't hurt at all.. Just had a cramp! We def. can NOT lose him. But yes I will agree the special teams have been amazing so far

okcusooner
9/12/2006, 01:12 AM
Hartley has been money. But can he pull chicks with that
shaggy, unkept 'do?

Jimminy Crimson
9/12/2006, 01:19 AM
A pleasant surprise for sure.

Demarrio or Ian? :confused: ;)

Earickson
9/12/2006, 03:27 AM
Special teams have been awesome, and it is a very welcome sight. I hate seeing sloppy play on the special teams.

And I bet Hartley pulls chicks no matter what kind of hair he has, he's on the football team.

ou4me
9/12/2006, 07:28 AM
Special Teams have been A+++ so far..

Is that their eBay rating? ;)

Texas Golfer
9/12/2006, 09:27 AM
A standing ovation goes out to our special teams play this year.

tbl
9/12/2006, 10:10 AM
Indeed. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure every kickoff has been a touchback this year, with the exception of the intentionals. That is AWESOME.

soonerhubs
9/12/2006, 10:19 AM
Special teams are certainly solid this year.

swardboy
9/12/2006, 03:38 PM
Are we playin' "Beamer Ball"?

start8
9/12/2006, 03:48 PM
Nope-Beamer Ball is won with Special Teams and DEFENSE-still waiting on that one. I got the faith in Stoops though.

goingoneight
9/12/2006, 08:31 PM
So OUr 2007 team, we will start Reggie Smith at CB, WR, FS, RB, ST and maybe QB???

Seriously, that guy is really looking awesome so far. I mean REALLY.

Did anyone see the shorter return in the UW game where he went one-on-one with a guy and toatlly juked him out? He made their ST look freakinshly stupid.

I_Live_In_OK
9/12/2006, 08:39 PM
freakinshly stupid.

What's worse than that? :)