PDA

View Full Version : Backup RB's?

sooner518
9/11/2006, 01:47 PM
So, we've gone 2 games so far this year and AD has played pretty much every snap.

Are AP, Gute or even Demarco Murray going to ever get into a game this year, or is AD just going to be the man for every play the rest of the season? Just curious.

soonerlaw
9/11/2006, 01:51 PM
I agree. I thought Gute and Patrick did a good job last year filling in while AD was injured and was hoping to see them play a little bit this year. Especially Patrick, he was fun to watch last year.

yermom
9/11/2006, 01:52 PM
seemed like they were just padding stats at the end on Saturday...

but i also think the new clock rules are screwing the backup kids out of playing with so many fewer plays being run

Collier11
9/11/2006, 02:01 PM
just adding to the convo here, but could it be that maybe we are waiting to add some new wrinkles with a 2 back set with A.D. and A.P. ?? We also havent had any qb running attack at all and kevin wilson used that alot at NW...maybe they are adding it in this week or maybe they are just gonna run A.D. into the ground

BIG_IKE
9/11/2006, 02:07 PM
MAN....imagine if we still had JD and we inserted a wishbone set with Thompson, Patrick, AD & Runnels...that would have been CRAZY. But it would have worked.

Collier11
9/11/2006, 02:19 PM
Or think if we still had bud wilkinson as our coach...he would be really old

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 03:15 PM
Or think if we still had bud wilkinson as our coach...he would be really old

heh.

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 03:19 PM
just adding to the convo here, but could it be that maybe we are waiting to add some new wrinkles with a 2 back set with A.D. and A.P. ?? We also havent had any qb running attack at all and kevin wilson used that alot at NW...maybe they are adding it in this week or maybe they are just gonna run A.D. into the ground

While I can appreciate letting AD get a second TD, I was cringing at the prospect of him getting hurt on a garbage score (turned out we needed it, I know).

I wish we had given AP some reps on that drive, just in case the unthinkable happens.

The double-back set with AP is just the kind of thing that OU would pull out of the hat for Texas. But it's hard for me to see them doing that if AP hasn't received any playing time before then.

MTSU will see AP & Gute on the field, for sure. With the amount of reps AD is getting so far, I think Murray is a lock for a RS year.

SoonerObsession
9/11/2006, 03:58 PM
While I think Bob Stoops is the greatest coach in the land, this is the one thing that I just don't understand about him. Play your subs man! Get them some experience when the game is in hand, or when our studs need a breather.

All_Day_28
9/11/2006, 04:05 PM
While I think Bob Stoops is the greatest coach in the land, this is the one thing that I just don't understand about him. Play your subs man! Get them some experience when the game is in hand, or when our studs need a breather.

he wants OUr studs to get more reps because they haven't been playing totally up to par yet.. they have but just not stoops standards..

westcoast_sooner
9/11/2006, 04:59 PM
he wants OUr studs to get more reps because they haven't been playing totally up to par yet.. they have but just not stoops standards..

Agree. AD can and should get better. But I'm guessing that he'll pull a couple of wrinkles out against UO - maybe put in Gute or AP in a two back set.

But I'd expect both of them to get into the MTSU game. And, if AD does what we all expect and leaves after this season, we would have 3-4 years of DeMarco and still have AP and Gute.

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 05:02 PM
Agree. AD can and should get better. But I'm guessing that he'll pull a couple of wrinkles out against UO - maybe put in Gute or AP in a two back set.

But I'd expect both of them to get into the MTSU game. And, if AD does what we all expect and leaves after this season, we would have 3-4 years of DeMarco and still have AP and Gute.

Not that it would happen . . . but does Gute still have a RS year?

rhombic21
9/11/2006, 05:48 PM
While I can appreciate letting AD get a second TD, I was cringing at the prospect of him getting hurt on a garbage score (turned out we needed it, I know).

I wish we had given AP some reps on that drive, just in case the unthinkable happens.

The double-back set with AP is just the kind of thing that OU would pull out of the hat for Texas. But it's hard for me to see them doing that if AP hasn't received any playing time before then.

MTSU will see AP & Gute on the field, for sure. With the amount of reps AD is getting so far, I think Murray is a lock for a RS year.
I agree completely. I didn't think that AD needed to play a single down in the fourth quarter. We had a 17 point lead, with the ball. Unless the offense does nothing at all, and the defense has a total collapse, the game was secured at that point. And Allen Patrick is a quality backup, so it's not like you're pulling AD for a walk-on. We need to save all the wear and tear on AD that we can, because we're going to ride him in conference play this year.

yermom
9/11/2006, 05:54 PM
i would imagine AD wanted more carries as well... he's got a ways to go to get to 2500

clambe00
9/11/2006, 06:35 PM
They are just trying to get AD the numbers for a Heisman run. But I agree, I wouldn't be surprised to see some new looks this week

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 06:38 PM
They are just trying to get AD the numbers for a Heisman run. But I agree, I wouldn't be surprised to see some new looks this week

I just can't see Stoops letting that drive his decision-making this early in the season. Maybe. But I have a hard time seeing that.

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 06:39 PM
Has Gute been playing on special teams this year? Hadn't seen him . . .

Big John
9/11/2006, 06:43 PM
Not that it would happen . . . but does Gute still have a RS year?
Nope. He redshirted in 2003 as a true freshman.

tulsaoilerfan
9/11/2006, 07:43 PM
IMO this has been a problem all along; remember Jason actually playing in the second half of the ATM blow out? I think it was only one series, but that wasn't the only time he played long after he should have been pulled, and he's not the only one :pop:

sooneron
9/11/2006, 07:52 PM
Stoops always keeps guys in later than he should when the game is at hand, especially early in the season.

Crimsontothecore
9/11/2006, 07:57 PM
So, we've gone 2 games so far this year and AD has played pretty much every snap.

Are AP, Gute or even Demarco Murray going to ever get into a game this year, or is AD just going to be the man for every play the rest of the season? Just curious.
Isn't Murray being redshirted??

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 08:05 PM
Isn't Murray being redshirted??

no doubt, yes.

SoonerLB
9/11/2006, 08:07 PM
AD will have to have the stats to win the Heisman, and unless the game is well within hand, he should be in there. I understand the point you all bring up, but he is the man, and our defense seems to have a problem tackling and stopping the opponent. Not to speak of the idiotic kickoff that resulted in a gift TD last Saturday that let Washington back in the game (or at the least let them think they were back in the game)!
Not only does AD need the yards, but we need the points on the scoreboard. Nothing against the backups, and I hope they do get the opportunity to play, but we need to score, get in the lead, and STAY in the lead, by as much as possible.
I'm not sayin' our defense is bad, but from what it has shown in the first two games, it ain't great.
And then there is the offensive line, if they can't get AD any room, how can we expect any of the backups to have any success?
Don't take me wrong, we have done OK, but we have not seen stellar play from the starters on either side of the ball, and we are going to need it if we intend to go through this season as we all hope to. I would be more than happy to see backups playing, but only after the starters have EARNED a breather. Just my 2 cents!

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 08:26 PM
AD will have to have the stats to win the Heisman, and unless the game is well within hand, he should be in there. I understand the point you all bring up, but he is the man, and our defense seems to have a problem tackling and stopping the opponent. Not to speak of the idiotic kickoff that resulted in a gift TD last Saturday that let Washington back in the game (or at the least let them think they were back in the game)!
Not only does AD need the yards, but we need the points on the scoreboard. Nothing against the backups, and I hope they do get the opportunity to play, but we need to score, get in the lead, and STAY in the lead, by as much as possible.
I'm not sayin' our defense is bad, but from what it has shown in the first two games, it ain't great.
And then there is the offensive line, if they can't get AD any room, how can we expect any of the backups to have any success?
Don't take me wrong, we have done OK, but we have not seen stellar play from the starters on either side of the ball, and we are going to need it if we intend to go through this season as we all hope to. I would be more than happy to see backups playing, but only after the starters have EARNED a breather. Just my 2 cents!

So you are pleased, then, that there is not a back-up running back with one down of play so far in the entire year? I agree that you have to leave the starters on the field while the game is still in doubt. But at 30-13 and driving, we could have given AP a couple of hand-offs just to let him stretch his legs.

Maybe not . . . I just think it's odd/unfortunate that we haven't given AP a single carry (or play, for that matter) in two games.

Boffingham
9/11/2006, 08:29 PM
Patrick is part of scheme that KW has planned for either Oregon or Texas. I don't expect him to spoil the suprise before then. I bet on it.

SoonerLB
9/11/2006, 08:51 PM
So you are pleased, then, that there is not a back-up running back with one down of play so far in the entire year? I agree that you have to leave the starters on the field while the game is still in doubt. But at 30-13 and driving, we could have given AP a couple of hand-offs just to let him stretch his legs.

Maybe not . . . I just think it's odd/unfortunate that we haven't given AP a single carry (or play, for that matter) in two games.

No, I wouldn't say I'm pleased about the fact, but neither am I totally pleased with what I have seen from the starters. Nothing against AD, but like I said, if the line can't open a hole for him, how can we expect anyone else to have any success running behind them? I would be tickled pink to see the line opening gaping holes, and AD, AP, and Gute all getting lots of yards, and lots of TD's! :D

rr2
9/11/2006, 11:18 PM

Yes, he is the right end on punt returns and he is on the kickoff team right next to the kicker. He is the 1st guy down on the kickoffs.

Egeo
9/11/2006, 11:23 PM
i like watching peterson run. as long as he doesnt get hurt, i dont care if he takes all the offensive snaps all year.

bixby28
9/11/2006, 11:30 PM
As big of an AD fan as I am, i just don't think the sloppy O-line he's running behind is gonna make a Heisman Trophy season possible. They aren't great run blockers, that's the bottom line. The pass blocking has been good enough, but they aren't good enough for Peterson to put up Heisman like numbers. Can he still have a great year? Yes. Break records? Yes. Win a Heisman? Unless the o-line does a 180*, NO.

Egeo
9/11/2006, 11:56 PM
i think they're playing ok
washinton consistently had 8/9 guys in the box

soonerhubs
9/12/2006, 12:08 AM
Just a thought, but I recall last year every pass play being predicted by AD being pulled out and Gute or Kejuan being put in. That's not happening this year, so there may actually be some strategy in keeping AD in more, particularly on pass plays.

jwlynn64
9/12/2006, 12:28 AM
Damned if you do, Damed if you don't.

If they pull AD in the forth and Washington gets a couple of quick scores, KW is the dumbest man on earth.

If AD gets hurt, then KW is the dumbest man on earth.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Readyfor8
9/12/2006, 12:40 AM
He's only getting 28 carries a game, and we were aiming for 35. He averaged 28.5 in 2003 when he wasn't hurt and giving up runs to KJ, so if he is getting hurt with that few ammount of carries then he would probably have gotten hurt anyway.

Also if KW pulls him and he comes in second in the Heisman, there might be more hell to pay. Besides when were we ahead enough to pull him this year?

All_Day_28
9/12/2006, 12:41 AM
Damned if you do, Damed if you don't.

If they pull AD in the forth and Washington gets a couple of quick scores, KW is the dumbest man on earth.

If AD gets hurt, then KW is the dumbest man on earth.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
exactly, doesn't matter what you do you can't please everyone.

yermom
9/12/2006, 12:56 AM

yep, i noticed him in the coaches show when they were talking about the weird kickoff thing where we were off-sides

Earickson
9/12/2006, 01:05 AM
I think the new clock rules have had a negative effect as well. But I also feel that the coaches want to see some consistent high level play out of the #1's before they start sending in subs. They haven't seen it yet, and they are probably as frustrated about it as fans are. Stoops and staff know they need to get subs in for some experience, but I guess they don't want to until they feel the starters have got themselves up to speed during the games.

yermom
9/12/2006, 01:10 AM
He's only getting 28 carries a game, and we were aiming for 35. He averaged 28.5 in 2003 when he wasn't hurt and giving up runs to KJ, so if he is getting hurt with that few ammount of carries then he would probably have gotten hurt anyway.

Also if KW pulls him and he comes in second in the Heisman, there might be more hell to pay. Besides when were we ahead enough to pull him this year?

i think AP could have come in in that last possession Saturday and that is about it, i'm more worried about AD getting hurt, but i'd imagine he's not all that worried about it

i like the fact that he's in there for passing downs, and i'm sure he can use the practice blocking

it's only 2 games in, i'd hardly be talking about "all year" just yet