PDA

View Full Version : OU/UW Game Review

David Earl
9/11/2006, 01:21 PM
Overview

Is this Sooner squad still playing like a team? In spite of a poor first half by the defense, I’d say yes. Again, we won a game, maybe not quite as big as we should have, but we won. And the win was more convincing than last week’s performance. There is clear evidence the Sooners are making progress toward being the team we think they can be. Here’s how it breaks down.

Offense

Before I gush too much about OU’s passing game, let me say that I think UW’s secondary will get abused in the Pac 10 this year. I’m not trying to slam them; I’m just saying their secondary is not the best. I’m sure many UDUB fans would agree.

However, that does not take away too much from OU’s success throwing the ball. The WR still has to run his route and make the catch. The QB sill has to deliver the ball. And the guys up front still have to give the QB time to throw.

The Sooner offense did all these things Saturday and put together a solid game. The passing game is clearly there and if opposing defenses keep stacking the box to stop AD, Paul Thompson and the boys will keep making them pay.

QB

Wow. Paul is really playing solid. I want to tell you people something and I want you to listen. Paul is playing better right now that Big Red’s former employee of the month (heretofore designated as BRFEOTM) would have played if none of this pre-season stuff had happened. You heard me right. BRFEOTM would not be doing this well at this point in the season. He may have a lot of physical tools, but Paul’s got something special. Let me tell you about that special quality he has.

Does everybody really like to see Paul do well? Do you think fans got the same feeling when BRFEOTM did well? How do you think the team feels at Paul’s success versus when BRFEOTM had success? If you don’t know, please let me tell you. This Sooner team LOVES to see Paul have success! Therein lies the evidence for that special something Paul brings to the table. And that’s the reason the offense is playing like a team.

And I want to say a word about another OU QB, a fellow some of you might know. Josh Heupel. There’s all this talk about DB’s and whether or not BJW has had them ready to play. We’re looking at the defense wondering if BV’s really had them ready to play. No slap at a coach, we’re just talking about it. Well, Josh has had Paul ready to play! I know, it’s early season and OU’s defense tends to not play as well early in the season. Yeah... Well... It’s early in the season for Paul too. But Coach Heupel has him ready to play!

Nearly 280 yards passing. A couple of TD’s. A good percentage of completions. Yup, Paul’s been ready to play. Six weeks ago he was ready to play WR. Today he’s doing just fine at QB. Paul’s INT was not his fault. If blockers hold the pocket another half second that is a completion for huge yardage. One of the overthrows wasn’t his fault. The zebras decided to let a UDUB DB jam Kelly about a mile beyond the line of scrimmage which made a well-thrown ball look overthrown. If the coverage had been legal on that play, Paul hit’s Kelly in stride on a flag route for an eight million yard touchdown strike.

Now before we get carried away here we need to remember some things. Paul still can be streaky. He’s going to make some bad throws. He’s going to throw high and behind the WR at times. He’ll zip it in too hard sometimes. Paul’s probably going to have a bad game some day. I remember a few guys named Josh, Nate and Jason and they had some bad games occasionally. But Paul is playing well and defenses are going to pay if they keep selling out to stop the run. They’ll probably keep selling out to stop the run so I guess Paul can keep making them pay.

RB

Okay, a d-lineman grabs AD by the shoulder pads at the neck, from behind. He starts trying to go all Roy Williams on us and pull Peterson down from behind. Ain’t gonna happen to AD. AD’s gonna break that tackle and get another 10-15 yards. AD runs through arm tackles like Epsom salts through a widow woman.

AD is running in good form, but if he stays healthy he’s going to be running better after a couple more games. He’ll be making some of those cuts a little better, breaking a few more tackles, getting more yards.

AD’s pass blocking was better in this game, not that it was horrible before. He put some defenders on the ground Saturday. And he accepted Wilson’s challenge to quit boogie dancing and head up field. Enjoy watching AD while you have the chance. He’s a special player and his kind doesn’t come along very often.

WR/TE

Finley just keeps on rolling! That guy is having a great year blocking and catching passes. It’s early, but I suspect he may nab some all conference honors. Brody had a great game blocking. He subbed well at FB. Gresham didn’t have any passes thrown his way, but his time will come.

Kelly had an awesome game! He dropped a couple, but made some really nice grabs. That one deep pass where Paul threw into three defenders was a really nice catch for Kelly at a clutch time. ATTN opposing defenses: Please keep stacking to stop the run and leaving Kelly in single coverage. Thank you.

Iglesias had another decent day catching. I believe his best games at WR are yet to come. It was good to see Johnson get back into action. And how about Fred Strong?! They kept mentioning him in preseason, but I confess I wasn’t listening. The kid is having a great year.

OL

The guys are still pass protecting fairly well and run blocking okay. They are ahead of where I thought they’d be at this point in the season. Walker had a better game which is a good sign and with Simmons returning we’ve got a little better depth now. The five false-start penalties are a little troubling. However, considering this group is still learning how to play as a group, it’s not too surprising. If these guys will just keep steadily improving and stay healthy, our offense will just keep cranking out points.

Defense

You people, we’ve seen this script before. Defense played poorly in the first half, played like champs in the third quarter, or some such similar saga. When there were problems, the problem was not scheme. The problem is execution.

In case you missed it, please note that two DB’s and two DL’s were subbed. With those substitutions, play improved dramatically. That doesn’t necessarily mean the guys who got benched have no future. It just means they weren’t playing well and the subs did. I appreciate the coaches made those personnel adjustments. That sends out a pretty clear message. That message is what we as fans need to take note of. I can assure you the defensive players jotted it on their memo pads.

DL

There’s not much of a way to dress it up and make it sound nice; the DT’s did not play well early. On UDUB’s first play from scrimmage it looked like they had 10 offensive linemen. Our DT’s were really blown off the ball. However, Granger and Bennett came in and played pretty well later in the game.

The DE’s had a better game than last week. Observe we are putting a DE at DT in the dime package. That certainly says the coaches are confident in our DEs’ ability to get a pass rush. Does it also say they don’t have confidence in our tackles to get pass pressure? I’m not sure.

The pass rush was there, though sporadic and sometimes misdirected. At least the guys up front are giving chase and forcing the QB to get out of the pocket.

Tackling is still a real problem, although part of the time it was better Saturday. These guys better start consistently hitting hard and wrapping up or some of our future opponents are going to feast in the run game. The yardage and points our defense has given up these first two games is not acceptable. That’s from Bob Stoops himself. Expect heads to roll if things don’t improve.

LB

We saw Baker out there a bunch. Who was he subbing for? (He knows all three LB spots.) Were they putting him in the middle on obvious passing downs? I can’t see him playing middle otherwise. They wouldn’t sub him for Rufus. I didn’t think they were using him much at SAM, which in passing situations is replaced with the nickel/LB hybrid (Harris).

DB

Has a pass been completed on Smith’s side yet this season? That guy is really making a difference on this team. Lendy came in and played really well at CB on the other side. Walker got a little PT there as well and seemed to do fine. If his shoulders will let him tackle he should get more PT, even if Lendy becomes the starter.

I’m not going to sit here and hammer Wolfe. The guy’s worked hard and has played well at CB before. I’m not sure what’s gotten into his head. Before we go ballistic on him and thrash him too much we need to remember he has a DB coach back there. Some of this is on BJW, in all fairness.

I was surprised Clayton didn’t play very well. Carter filled in well, in spite of dropping a couple of would-be INT’s. Harris had another good game, though we see signs of his youth. As the season wears on, QB’s will tremble at the sound of his name.

Special Teams

Man the special teams are so much better than last year. The return game is so strong. Smith is going to score soon. And Iglesias may take a kick to the house before it’s all over and done with. That block maneuver with Carter coming up the middle gave UDUB fits. Trey is kicking well and the punting is solid. Coverage is strong. Special teams are truly special.

Zebras

Okay guys, a DB can jam within five yards of the line of scrimmage, but they can’t jam twenty yards downfield, mmmkay? That one cost us a score.

On UDUB’s big run up the gut in the first quarter *ugh* it looked to me like a blocker had a defender by the arm and was pulling backward. I sure thought that was holding, but it probably wasn’t flagrant.

Summary

How good is this OU ball club? The offense is formidable, though not breaking records. We’re currently at about #30 in the nation in total offense and #44 in scoring offense. Not earth shattering by any means, but we’re ahead of some pretty good teams. Also, the turnover situation, which promises to get better, has cost us some points there.

But what about the defense? It’s too early to tell for certain. We’ve talked before about OU defenses under Stoops starting slow and getting better. This current defense shows signs of potentially being really good. But there are also signs for sober concern. Because we’ve seen improvement from week one to week two I’m leaning toward the idea this defense is going to be pretty good before season is done. Will it get good enough quickly enough to beat UO and UT? Good question.

The Sooners have a big tussle in front of them. Oregon has a good offense, a good QB and a good RB. These Ducks are for real. This could arguably be the toughest game of our regular season. Even if our offense can move the ball on the Duck defense, their offense is a force to be reckoned with. I suspect our offense will have to be prolific to beat the Ducks. We may have to win a shootout. The thing is our offense is good enough to do it. And with our defense showing promise of improvement our chances of getting over a very significant season hurdle look even better. If we can come out of Oregon with a “W”, the chances of having a 10-12 win regular season look much better. That, my crimson colleagues, puts a smile on my sooner face. Boomer Sooner!

NormanPride
9/11/2006, 01:46 PM
I want Iglesias to block better. Kelly is doing well, but Iglesias couldn't lock his man down at all. All those counter-tosses that we ran to his side got stuffed way before they should have. To his credit, he was working hard and seemed visibly frustrated with himself when he didn't get the job done. Frustration usually means they'll fix it.

David Earl
9/11/2006, 01:49 PM
Somebody somewhere commented that AD could adjust his cutback to the way Iglesias is blocking on those counters and make some hay. I honestly haven't noticed either way.

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 01:51 PM
Great point about Fred Strong coming out of nowhere. I totally disregarded the talk about him preseason. He reminds me of Brandon Jones - big, strong body. Big target. Thompson clearly feels comfortable throwing his way, which says something. Besides ENA, is there a bigger surprise than Strong's play so far?

Speaking of WR's, is Cheney pretty much done? Haven't seen him at all - has he played?

BIG_IKE
9/11/2006, 01:53 PM
That was a great analysis. We already knew going in the defense had the potential. They just need to meet it now. The passing offense is a pleasant surprise to me. Teams that think we are one dimensional are in for a RUDE AWAKENING..

NormanPride
9/11/2006, 02:17 PM
Somebody somewhere commented that AD could adjust his cutback to the way Iglesias is blocking on those counters and make some hay. I honestly haven't noticed either way.

Yeah, he could have gotten some, but if the block was being done correctly a couple of those could have gone the distance. I know UDUB's corners are really good in run support, but it's still not good that Iglesias couldn't handle them. He'll get it, though.

I thought PT actually forced a couple this game... one was overthrown and would have just been batted down if it wasn't, and the other was that insane catch of Kelly's. It was perfectly thrown... into triple coverage. It worries me, but not so much that I'd lose sleep over it. ;) Paul's doing much better than even my best expectations.

instigator
9/11/2006, 02:39 PM
Okay, a d-lineman grabs AD by the shoulder pads at the neck, from behind. He starts trying to go all Roy Williams on us and pull Peterson down from behind. Ain’t gonna happen to AD. AD’s gonna break that tackle and get another 10-15 yards. AD runs through arm tackles like Epsom salts through a widow woman.

I am glad other people noticed that play. It might be the most impressive run I have seen him make. Who gets out of a horse collar tackle? No one. Not until Saturday. That was a huge guy that had a hold of him too. :eek:

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/11/2006, 06:21 PM
OU-UW at 10 CT. tonight on ESPNU for those of you who wish to watch it again

soonerfootball
9/11/2006, 08:38 PM
DL

There’s not much of a way to dress it up and make it sound nice; the DT’s did not play well early. On UDUB’s first play from scrimmage it looked like they had 10 offensive linemen. Our DT’s were really blown off the ball. However, Granger and Bennett came in and played pretty well later in the game.

The DE’s had a better game than last week. Observe we are putting a DE at DT in the dime package. That certainly says the coaches are confident in our DEs’ ability to get a pass rush. Does it also say they don’t have confidence in our tackles to get pass pressure? I’m not sure.

The pass rush was there, though sporadic and sometimes misdirected. At least the guys up front are giving chase and forcing the QB to get out of the pocket.

Tackling is still a real problem, although part of the time it was better Saturday. These guys better start consistently hitting hard and wrapping up or some of our future opponents are going to feast in the run game. The yardage and points our defense has given up these first two games is not acceptable. That’s from Bob Stoops himself. Expect heads to roll if things don’t improve.

I think that the coaching staff needs to make the decision to play, Gerald McCoy. He is a stud and he seems to turn it on more during game like situations rather than practice although he looked good during some of the early preseason practices aswell. He has been working with Schmitty 2 times a day trying to get ready he has shown he wants it and he is obviously not gonna be worse than what we have now...the d-line seems to be the weakest link. IT ALL STARTS UP FRONT...take care of that problem and we have a solid D again.

David Earl
9/11/2006, 08:54 PM
I think that the coaching staff needs to make the decision to play, Gerald McCoy. He is a stud and he seems to turn it on more during game like situations rather than practice although he looked good during some of the early preseason practices aswell. He has been working with Schmitty 2 times a day trying to get ready he has shown he wants it and he is obviously not gonna be worse than what we have now.

I've heard they're looking at that, but I'm not sure how seriously. I've got confidence that Shipp and the others will figure that out.

Stoop Dawg
9/11/2006, 08:56 PM
Paul’s INT was not his fault. If blockers hold the pocket another half second that is a completion for huge yardage.

Let me ask a question in all seriousness, because I honestly don't know the answer.

I know for certain that both the INT and the fumble were due to back side pressure getting to PT. I seem to recall that one, or possibly both, of last weeks INTs were also caused by back side pressure.

In watching other games, it seems like the QB will often "feel" that back side pressure coming and either tuck the ball and run or at least tuck it and take the sack.

So, my question is, is it just dumb luck that PT has had several turnovers from back side pressure in the first two games, or is there something he should be doing to "feel" that pressure earlier and not give up the turnover?

TIA.

David Earl
9/11/2006, 09:01 PM
Stoop Dawg, I think that's a fair question. I wondered if Paul should have had a little quicker release on those throws. The INT is a classic example of the kind of situation where Dan Marino so often frustrated opposing defenses. They'd get the pressure there but his quick release would burn them.

We could probably argue that Paul should have a quicker release and that he might should feel a little more pressure. Stoops did say the fumble was the fault of coaching for putting Paul in that position to begin with.

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 09:03 PM
Let me ask a question in all seriousness, because I honestly don't know the answer.

I know for certain that both the INT and the fumble were due to back side pressure getting to PT. I seem to recall that one, or possibly both, of last weeks INTs were also caused by back side pressure.

In watching other games, it seems like the QB will often "feel" that back side pressure coming and either tuck the ball and run or at least tuck it and take the sack.

So, my question is, is it just dumb luck that PT has had several turnovers from back side pressure in the first two games, or is there something he should be doing to "feel" that pressure earlier and not give up the turnover?

TIA.

He needs to get a better feel for it. It's impossible to do that in practice while he's wearing a blue jersey. It'll come as the season progresses. He just hasn't gotten there quite yet.

On a positive note, I would much rather have a calm PT hanging in the pocket too long, than a jittery quarterback who can't sit still who wants to force a big play all the time. PT has a really impressive level-headedness that I believe has the chance to make a real difference to the team in big games like this one. And especially against Texas. PT behaves like a multi-year starter.

The feel for the pocket will come. He did have a nice little scramble in the second quarter.

BIG_IKE
9/12/2006, 06:39 AM
*OFFTOPIC* Can someone please tell me why I cannot make a new thread? Is there a post requirement or something? Thanks..

MiccoMacey
9/12/2006, 08:03 AM
Must have a minimum of 34 posts. :D

MiccoMacey
9/12/2006, 08:11 AM
Great points, but I disagree with one point you make (and almost everybody else is saying the same thing, and I'd like to correct them as well).

The INTs are Paul's fault. He threw the ball. I understand he was getting hit/the receiver didn't adjust/the moon was in Jupiter's third house.

He didn't release soon enough. He didn't feel the pressure and he should have. Or worse, he felt the pressure and STILL decided to try and make the play.

Regardless, the ball is his responsibility. We don't say "It's not the RB's fault he fumbled because he got hit by a big mean linebacker".

Especially when a QB gets credit for a TD on a ball thrown so horribly that the receiver has to make "The Catch Of The Year".

JMHO.

XingTheRubicon
9/12/2006, 09:51 AM
Great points, but I disagree with one point you make (and almost everybody else is saying the same thing, and I'd like to correct them as well).

The INTs are Paul's fault. He threw the ball. I understand he was getting hit/the receiver didn't adjust/the moon was in Jupiter's third house.

He didn't release soon enough. He didn't feel the pressure and he should have. Or worse, he felt the pressure and STILL decided to try and make the play.

Regardless, the ball is his responsibility. We don't say "It's not the RB's fault he fumbled because he got hit by a big mean linebacker".

Especially when a QB gets credit for a TD on a ball thrown so horribly that the receiver has to make "The Catch Of The Year".

JMHO.

There are INT's like Colt McCoy's vs. tOSU where he almost crapped his pants, he was so rattled and hit that LB right in the numbers ala Stevie Wonder....and there are INT's where a QB gets hit while he throws. There's a difference. That's all.

ultimatesooner1
9/12/2006, 10:09 AM

TIA.

Heupel said after the game that the pocket was there and Paul had room to step up in the pocket and make a play in both of those situations against UW

RacerX
9/12/2006, 11:01 AM
DE -
Zebras - they missed a delay of game on the 3rd and 11 that UW converted on DJ's last play. My wife was animate about it at the game and I confirmed it with a still in the IFD forum.

I'm very excited to see the PT play well. I'm sad that it didn't work out like that last year. TACL!

MiccoMacey
9/12/2006, 11:10 AM
There are INT's like Colt McCoy's vs. tOSU where he almost crapped his pants, he was so rattled and hit that LB right in the numbers ala Stevie Wonder....and there are INT's where a QB gets hit while he throws. There's a difference. That's all.

Xing,

I agree there are different circumstances, but he's still ultimately responsible for the ball.

There are also some other people who have some responsibility in those plays as well (the linemen who didn't block, or a receiver who doesn't fight for the ball...a la against UAB).

I'm not bagging on PT. I am MORE than pleased with his reads and the throws he's making (especially the throws he's NOT making...forcing into double and triple coverage).

I just think he's getting a free ride if we say "It's not his fault". It's not ALL his fault, but he has some share in the play, especially since he's throwing it.

I guarantee PT's not deflecting the blame...I'd be more than willing to bet he's taking some/all of the blame himself.

MiccoMacey
9/12/2006, 11:12 AM
DE -
Zebras - they missed a delay of game on the 3rd and 11 that UW converted on DJ's last play. My wife was animate about it at the game and I confirmed it with a still in the IFD forum.

I'm very excited to see the PT play well. I'm sad that it didn't work out like that last year. TACL!

And I was pretty sure they were offsides on one of their kick-offs as well.

We got flagged, and lost a TD out of it. They got off scott-free.

RacerX
9/12/2006, 11:16 AM
TD would not have counted.

MiccoMacey
9/12/2006, 11:18 AM
Why not?

It was a live ball (I thought). The ref never whistled.

85Sooner
9/12/2006, 11:25 AM
I have never wiavered in my confidence in PT and I hope for his continued success. Thank you very much.

I do wonder why we have not seen much running from him but it is early.

RacerX
9/12/2006, 11:39 AM
Why not?

It was a live ball (I thought). The ref never whistled.

Stoops cited a rule change from about 5 years ago and stated it was a dead ball on the playback show.

RacerX
9/12/2006, 11:39 AM

Shhhhhh.

NormanPride
9/12/2006, 12:22 PM

I'm not convinced Paul is that great of a runner... Don't get me wrong! He's fast, smart, and can make a few plays, but he's not your typical running QB. He's a straight line guy that's a little shaky with ball security, IMO. He'll run this year, but I doubt it will be a focal point for the offense.

OUMallen
9/12/2006, 12:28 PM
Special Teams

Trey is kicking well and the punting is solid.

huh?

David Earl
9/12/2006, 01:37 PM
huh?

I don't mean that DiCarlo is punting, I just mean that punting so far this season has been good.

David Earl
9/12/2006, 01:37 PM
DE -
Zebras - they missed a delay of game on the 3rd and 11 that UW converted on DJ's last play.

Wicked zebras! :mad:

Blue
9/12/2006, 05:20 PM
I don't mean that DiCarlo is punting, I just mean that punting so far this season has been good.

Garrett Hartley? ;)

TrophyCollector
9/12/2006, 05:25 PM
I'm not convinced Paul is that great of a runner... Don't get me wrong! He's fast, smart, and can make a few plays, but he's not your typical running QB. He's a straight line guy that's a little shaky with ball security, IMO. He'll run this year, but I doubt it will be a focal point for the offense.

Agree 100%. He'll run a shock draw every once in a while and an option play or two, but that's about it. We did run a speed option against UAB and it failed badly.

XingTheRubicon
9/13/2006, 12:10 AM
Xing,

I agree there are different circumstances, but he's still ultimately responsible for the ball.

There are also some other people who have some responsibility in those plays as well (the linemen who didn't block, or a receiver who doesn't fight for the ball...a la against UAB).

I'm not bagging on PT. I am MORE than pleased with his reads and the throws he's making (especially the throws he's NOT making...forcing into double and triple coverage).

I just think he's getting a free ride if we say "It's not his fault". It's not ALL his fault, but he has some share in the play, especially since he's throwing it.

I guarantee PT's not deflecting the blame...I'd be more than willing to bet he's taking some/all of the blame himself.

Oh, I'm with you. If you throw over the middle, and it's not perfect (ala too high, too hard, a little behind) and it gets tipped and picked, it rests on the QB's shoulders. I'm just saying there are really bad, panic picks and there are tough break picks.

You make a very good point about the "it's not his fault" sentiment. The truth is always somewhere in the middle.

KingDavid
9/13/2006, 01:15 AM

JMHO.

No one's making excuses for him, that I can tell. Just discussing how he needs to improve. The int's are his responsibility. The only exception, I would argue, is when i receiver misses a pass thrown right to him - tips it to the defender. That int. is just as badd as a fumble to the receiver, IMO. There's should be a way to account for that in the QB's stats (i.e. a wild pitch is different than a passed ball - even though the same guy throws the baseball.) Not that stats are what matters . . . but if we're going to keep them, they might as well show the story. We could also charge errors/drops to the receivers. You have to know the coaches are keeping track of these things . . .

Stoop Dawg
9/13/2006, 07:38 PM

I'm going with "we pretty much don't have a back-up QB".