PDA

View Full Version : Mack's Excuse for losing

start8
9/11/2006, 01:11 PM
The apocalypse that made last year happen is offically over. The world is going to be OK as Mack explains why the horns couldn't get it done.....can't wait for him to 'answer that for Colt'.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2583128

off: Brown faults clock rule in loss to OSUBy Joe Schad
ESPN.com

Add Texas coach Mack Brown to the list of critics of the NCAA's new football clock rules.

Brown said Monday during the weekly Big 12 teleconference that the new rules, which were designed to limit the time of games, hurt the No. 8 Longhorns in Saturday's loss to No. 1 Ohio State.

"They scored with six minutes left and the game was over before we had a chance to do anything," Brown said. "I really hope whoever made these changes will go back and look them over."

Under the rule changes, the clock starts on a kickoff when the ball is kicked, not when the receiving team touches it; and on a first down, when the ball is marked ready for play, not when it is snapped.

Brown said while games are being shortened, the fans are being shortchanged.

"One of the great things about college football is a team's ability to come back," Brown said. "Now that's limited. Our game was 22 minutes shorter. That's a little under 10 percent of our game. That's not fair to our fans. We worry about them sitting there?"

Brown said, at worst, the old rules should be in place for the last two or five minutes of each game.

Of the new rules, Brown said: "I hate it."

Joe Schad is ESPN TV's national college football reporter.

BIG_IKE
9/11/2006, 01:13 PM
Mack was mad because he had to cut his honeymoon short
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEmOliM5OAY

The Maestro
9/11/2006, 01:15 PM
So with 6 minutes left and his team down 17 and the fact his team had only scored 7 points in the first 54 minutes, he feels cheated by clock rules?

Um...okay.

GET BETTER! Texas has no big time offensive weapons anymore. Selvin Young is their best player, but to only have two plays of over 20 yards...lots of good, decent talent, but lacking in the playmaker department.

OUDoc
9/11/2006, 01:16 PM
To Mack: Don't fall behind and it won't matter.
You're welcome.

RacerX
9/11/2006, 01:18 PM
In other news, Oklahoma plays Oregon on Saturday.

OUDoc
9/11/2006, 01:19 PM
In other news, Oklahoma plays Oregon on Saturday.
I hope the game's not too short.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/11/2006, 01:21 PM
To be fair, the rules do suck ;)

Fugue
9/11/2006, 01:26 PM
agreed, and oven mit guy is still out there for an eternity. the games aren't too long because of the game. it's another example of putting the players in second place behind revenue.

NormanPride
9/11/2006, 01:50 PM
Wow. Back to the old Mack, huh? Pretty sad.

yermom
9/11/2006, 01:51 PM
i agree about fans being shortchanged...

but the rest is a lot of Texcuses

devOUt
9/11/2006, 01:55 PM
"They scored with six minutes left and the game was over before we had a chance to do anything," Brown said. "

What the hell was Mack's team doing the other 54 minutes of the game?

OUinFLA
9/11/2006, 01:56 PM
I hope more coaches publicly say the same thing.
Im sure Ill rot in hell for saying this, but ...Way to go MB.
Gag, Im gonna go shower now. With acid.

1991SOONER
9/11/2006, 02:07 PM
Texcuses.....texcuses.....

I am happy that mack is back:)

All_Day_28
9/11/2006, 02:09 PM
To be fair, the rules do suck ;)
I'm sorry but I have to agree with Gandalf and Mack (about the rules, not why they lost). the new clock rules suck. The fans are being shortchanged and it's really all for TV. The broadcast last the same amount of time with more commercials, while the game itself seems significantly quicker..IMHO:mad:

TUSooner
9/11/2006, 02:15 PM
So with 6 minutes left and his team down 17 and the fact his team had only scored 7 points in the first 54 minutes, he feels cheated by clock rules?.....
Yep.
It took the tree nuts a lot less than 6 minutes to score a KILLER TD before the half, right when the steers were thinking they'd go in with a tied score.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/11/2006, 02:18 PM
The truth is, Mack could have been given another 6 hours and Colt McCoy was still going to suck at the end of them ;)

Widescreen
9/11/2006, 02:20 PM
If that game had lasted another 2 hours, Texas wasn't going to win the game. They got beat by a much better team. Why does Mack do this crap?

usmc-sooner
9/11/2006, 02:23 PM
didn't Mack use the ran out of time excuse on us already?

I think the rules suck also.

OUstudent4life
9/11/2006, 02:37 PM
Oh.

I thought it was the growth on his face that he had to constantly lick.

Ewwwww.

daMentor
9/11/2006, 02:42 PM
I think the media may have blown this one out of proportion. I seriously hope MB doesn't think he lost because of the clock rules. If he thinks that's why they lost, then he is delusional. Then again that wouldn't be too far off base. :texan:

On a side note, I agree that the clock changes are bs. As someone stated before, if they want to shorten the games get RID OF THE ****ING COMMERCIALS!!! or at least bring it down a notch....

Landthief 1972
9/11/2006, 02:45 PM
So... that was 22 more minutes for Ohio State to put up 10 more points on them? What's your point, Mack?

ashley
9/11/2006, 02:50 PM
At least he said the same thing before the game and he is correct.

Dio
9/11/2006, 02:59 PM
:mack: We didn't lose- we just ran out of time!

Statalyzer
9/11/2006, 03:01 PM
I think the media may have blown this one out of proportion.

The media, and this board.

Mack never said the clock rules cost them the game.

At least he said the same thing before the game and he is correct.

ashley gets it.

SoonerBlonde87
9/11/2006, 03:06 PM
Texas is just full of crap!

Octavian
9/11/2006, 03:08 PM
everyone hates the new clock rules....

and this is going to be brought up by a number of coaches throughout the year after they lose....

Bob has stated several times his dislike of it.

Mack's comments are getting some play on this board b/c of his past "reasoning" for losses.

sooneron
9/11/2006, 03:10 PM

Uh, this sure sounds like some blame being passed around to me...

"They scored with six minutes left and the game was over before we had a chance to do anything," Brown said. "I really hope whoever made these changes will go back and look them over."

hybridworks
9/11/2006, 03:17 PM
FIXED

The apocalypse that made last year happen is offically over. The world is going to be OK as Mack explains why the horns couldn't get it done.....can't wait for him to 'answer that for Colt'.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/gof!!kthewhorns

off: Brown faults clock rule in loss to OSUBy Joe Schad
ESPN.com

Add Texas coach Mack Brown to the list of critics of the NCAA's new football clock rules.

Brown said Monday during the weekly Big 12 teleconference that the new rules, which were designed to limit the time of games, hurt the No. 8 Longhorns in Saturday's loss to No. 1 Ohio State.

"They scored with six minutes left and Vince didnt have a chance to make it off of the plane..."

lukin254
9/11/2006, 03:20 PM
the new clock rules are a joke... even if a punt goes out of bounds, the clock will start at the change of possesion... what kind of sense does that make... the ball went out of play, and in any other situation the game clock would not start with the play clock after the ball travels out of play... pathetic rules that take away from the ability for a team to mount any sort of comeback in the latter stages of the game... not that mack and texas was one of those teams on saturday, but someone that isn't down by 3 scores with less than 6 minutes to play will have a legit beef

Jello Biafra
9/11/2006, 03:26 PM

ashley gets it.

you dumb sh*t

the freaking article title says as much....... ashely doesn't get it. it just so happened you needed to lean on someone to feel like you had a freind and he she happened to say that mack said it before the game. shut up you lose.

garland sooner
9/11/2006, 03:30 PM
Here is another excuse I found today. From the Dallas Morning News:

UT stumbles without the run

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/texas/stories/091106dnspoutfolo.3244077.html

When Longhorns went to air the OSU game took a bad bounce

12:55 AM CDT on Monday, September 11, 2006

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – Without Vince Young, Texas' offense against top-ranked Ohio State had no rhythm and, at times, no clue.

An offense that set an NCAA record for points last season with 652 returned nine starters. Yet the Longhorns scored only once in the Buckeyes' 24-7 victory Saturday night, breaking a streak of 12 straight games where UT had at least 40 points.

Texas, which dropped from No. 2 to No. 8 in The Associated Press poll released Sunday, is still trying to figure out what it does well with redshirt freshman Colt McCoy at quarterback.

The Longhorns may end up looking back at the Ohio State game and realizing they didn't take what the defense was giving them: rushing yards by the pound.

Selvin Young ran 11 times for 94 yards (8.5 yards per carry), including runs of 30, 17, 12 and 11 yards. Jamaal Charles (16 rushes for 70 yards; 4.4 ypc) was also effective.

"We were surprised that we could run the ball as well as we did," Texas coach Mack Brown said. "We just needed to make more deep plays in the passing game."

Huh?

Why would there need to be more deep plays in the passing game when the Buckeyes were giving away real estate as if needing tax deductions?

(the article continues...)

===============
Crazy Mack, I think he forgot that he doesn't know simple logic.:D

Jello Biafra
9/11/2006, 03:35 PM
Here is another excuse I found today. From the Dallas Morning News:

UT stumbles without the run

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/texas/stories/091106dnspoutfolo.3244077.html

When Longhorns went to air the OSU game took a bad bounce

12:55 AM CDT on Monday, September 11, 2006

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – Without Vince Young, Texas' offense against top-ranked Ohio State had no rhythm and, at times, no clue.

An offense that set an NCAA record for points last season with 652 returned nine starters. Yet the Longhorns scored only once in the Buckeyes' 24-7 victory Saturday night, breaking a streak of 12 straight games where UT had at least 40 points.

Texas, which dropped from No. 2 to No. 8 in The Associated Press poll released Sunday, is still trying to figure out what it does well with redshirt freshman Colt McCoy at quarterback.

The Longhorns may end up looking back at the Ohio State game and realizing they didn't take what the defense was giving them: rushing yards by the pound.

Selvin Young ran 11 times for 94 yards (8.5 yards per carry), including runs of 30, 17, 12 and 11 yards. Jamaal Charles (16 rushes for 70 yards; 4.4 ypc) was also effective.

"We were surprised that we could run the ball as well as we did," Texas coach Mack Brown said. "We just needed to make more deep plays in the passing game."

Huh?

Why would there need to be more deep plays in the passing game when the Buckeyes were giving away real estate as if needing tax deductions?

(the article continues...)

===============
Crazy Mack, I think he forgot that he doesn't know simple logic.:D

ive heard Syphilis will make you crazier than a sh*t house rat. now here's proof.

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 04:07 PM
the new rules suck almost as hard as Texas did in that game.

Bccajun
9/11/2006, 05:07 PM
Wait Mack other team fell behind too and still manged to win. What was our score after the Puppies touch the ball the first time?

Jus a thought and Yes I too hate the new clock rules. Cut out a few adds and get te extra tiem from them.

BC

mikeb
9/11/2006, 05:38 PM
The new rules do suck, but what the ****.

PalmBeachSooner
9/11/2006, 05:56 PM
If that game had lasted another 2 hours, Texas wasn't going to win the game. They got beat by a much better team. Why does Mack do this crap?

I think Mack does it because he doesn't want his player's feelings to get hurt. Blame it on everything but the players.

BTW, Texas ran the ball quite effectively against tOSU...until they fell behind. That's about the only thing they can do consistently at this point in the season. If OU can establish a lead in the RRS I think OU cruises. My point is OU needs to get its run defense in order, quick, fast and in a hurry.

Geekboy
9/11/2006, 06:13 PM
You all have missed the key phrase in all of this!

"That's not fair to our fans. WE WORRY ABOUT THEM SITTING THERE."

Mack is more worried about the fans than the game on the field I guess.
You think he got that fever blister worrying about the fans or Ohio State?
I'm betting he stayed up late at nights worrying about the fans.

Let's just say it now. He's going to lose Oct. 7th because of his concern for the fans. That damn NCAA rule change committee!!!

All_Day_28
9/11/2006, 06:18 PM
You all have missed the key phrase in all of this!

"That's not fair to our fans. WE WORRY ABOUT THEM SITTING THERE."

Mack is more worried about the fans than the game on the field I guess.
You think he got that fever blister worrying about the fans or Ohio State?
I'm betting he stayed up late at nights worrying about the fans.

Let's just say it now. He's going to lose Oct. 7th because of his concern for the fans. That damn NCAA rule change committee!!!
I'm a fan and he's right, it's not fair to us.

Rogue
9/11/2006, 06:56 PM
:mack: We didn't lose- we just ran out of time!

Heh!:hot:

boomersooner28
9/11/2006, 07:48 PM
Note to Mack: Maybe you should write the NCAA a letter THANKING them for shortening the game and saving your A S S from getting beat AT HOME BY 40! Thats all the new clock rules changed.

MarylandSooner
9/11/2006, 07:56 PM
So far this is what we know, Mack's game plan is to get way behind and then start playing with six minutes to go.

All_Day_28
9/11/2006, 07:57 PM
So far this is what we know, Mack's game plan is to get way behind and then start playing with six minutes to go.
good observation, I hope Bob realizes this.

Ground_Attack
9/11/2006, 10:02 PM
Akron had no time with the clock. they scored their winning TD driving the field with less than 1 minute.

noobalicious
9/11/2006, 10:28 PM
lol that's quite possibly the most hilarious excuse I've ever heard. Maybe if they lost by single digits...but 24-7? No way...

cherokeebrewer
9/11/2006, 10:50 PM
Obviously Mack is famous (infamous) for his excuses but it is a dumb rule.

I mean, it took some pretty bored pompous dudes sittin' around with too much time on their hands to come up with that.