PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with Marcus Walker?

Partial Qualifier
9/11/2006, 01:06 PM
He had enough cover skillz as a true freshman to get his redshirt yanked late in the season. So he hurts his shoulder, has surgery, and two years later he's what, 3rd-string behind DJ and Lendy??

What did I miss? :confused:

OUDoc
9/11/2006, 01:13 PM
He had enough cover skillz as a true freshman to get his redshirt yanked late in the season. So he hurts his shoulder, has surgery, and two years later he's what, 3rd-string behind DJ and Lendy??

What did I miss? :confused:
Nothing. Pretty much summed it up nicely. Thanks!

;)

CtheB
9/11/2006, 01:17 PM
Word in the JOklahoman this morning was that he would compete for one of the corner jobs this week. Comp between himself and Lendy.

As for your question, I think the shoulder injury has set him back in his development, and I also would question the coaches desire to get him a lot of reps when he has proven that shoulder to be tender.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/11/2006, 01:25 PM
He has a shoulder problem that was re-occurring, it limits his weight lifting and training and then you take away field time and of course he isn't as sharp or awesome looking.

David Earl
9/11/2006, 01:35 PM
The shoulder injuries may be impeding his ability to tackle, though that should get better as he heals. I believe Lendy will start against UO but Walker will get some PT.

lukin254
9/11/2006, 01:39 PM
So... what's going to happen to Wolfe?? Cast aside? Move back to O?

CtheB
9/11/2006, 01:42 PM
Wolfe will be in the mix, but after watching Bob ride him for a solid 5 minutes after the long pass play, and his lack of participation on anything not special teams the entire second half against UW, I think it's going to take some time for DJ to get another chance. DJ can do the job, but looks way out of position in coverage and doesn't have the speed to make up for his mistakes. He's the kid that has to be absolutely flawless in fundamentals and recognition to be successful. It's possible that he can be that, but he's not right now.

rhombic21
9/11/2006, 01:42 PM
He has a shoulder problem that was re-occurring, it limits his weight lifting and training and then you take away field time and of course he isn't as sharp or awesome looking.
That's not true.

It was his other shoulder that got hurt last year in fall camp, not the one that was hurt in 2004. He also had problems with one of his knees. Apparently he's been about as healthy as ever since getting back on the field this fall.

Coming into the Washington game, he was backing up Reggie Smith at field corner, with Lendy backing up DJ at boundary corner. The two positions are not completely interchangeable, so when the decision was made to replace DJ, they went with Lendy because Marcus hasn't been working at boundary corner this fall. But they will work him there this week in practice since the starting job is apparently up for grabs between him and Lendy, and the coaches want to make sure that they have their best two corners on the field.

DJ would have to play the best football of his life to get his job back for the Oregon game, but the job is not necessarily Lendy's. Marcus could very well beat him out for it.

Partial Qualifier
9/11/2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Boomer!

Partial Qualifier
9/11/2006, 01:57 PM
Wolfe will be in the mix, but after watching Bob ride him for a solid 5 minutes after the long pass play, and his lack of participation on anything not special teams the entire second half against UW, I think it's going to take some time for DJ to get another chance. DJ can do the job, but looks way out of position in coverage and doesn't have the speed to make up for his mistakes. He's the kid that has to be absolutely flawless in fundamentals and recognition to be successful. It's possible that he can be that, but he's not right now.

Yeah on that 51-yarder, he was looking in the backfield and didn't swivel around until the guy was a couple steps past him

CtheB
9/11/2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah on that 51-yarder, he was looking in the backfield and didn't swivel around until the guy was a couple steps past him

...true, and on 3rd and 11....poor recognition.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/11/2006, 02:14 PM
It was his other shoulder that got hurt last year in fall camp, not the one that was hurt in 2004. He also had problems with one of his knees. Apparently he's been about as healthy as ever since getting back on the field this fall.

Thus the apparent drop off from freshman getting red shirt yanked to current day backup. You don't miss basically 2 years and come back and look like Deion Sanders.

Widescreen
9/11/2006, 02:25 PM
The shoulder injuries may be impeding his ability to tackle
That didn't keep the coaches from playing BEverage every down of every game. Maybe we just didn't have any alternatives to Brandon whereas we have alternatives to Walker.

rhombic21
9/11/2006, 02:34 PM
Thus the apparent drop off from freshman getting red shirt yanked to current day backup. You don't miss basically 2 years and come back and look like Deion Sanders.
I don't doubt that.

I'm just saying that he looks to be over his injury problems of 2004 and 2005, and I think that most of the concern now is simply about him regaining his sharpness and ability.

Your post indicated that there was concern that his body wasn't completely healthy, and that because the shoulder problem was "re-occuring" (which it wasn't) that there was concern about whether he would be able to hold up health-wise, and that's not my understanding.

Although, with the way that Stoops handles injury reports, that shoulder could still be injured for all I know. I'm just saying that I haven't heard anything about him still feeling the effects of the injuries that wiped out his 2005 season.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/11/2006, 02:38 PM
That didn't keep the coaches from playing BEverage every down of every game. Maybe we just didn't have any alternatives to Brandon whereas we have alternatives to Walker.

that was more of a mike stoops thing. he didn't pull starters no matter how badly they played.

NormanPride
9/11/2006, 02:47 PM
that was more of a mike stoops thing. he didn't pull starters no matter how badly they played.

:les: SHUSH! MIKE IS GOD!

;)

JohnnyMack
9/11/2006, 02:48 PM
that was more of a mike stoops thing. he kills kittens.

:D :D :D

snp
9/11/2006, 02:51 PM
Why doesn't DJ start taking some reps at RB again?

Sooners78
9/11/2006, 02:56 PM
Coming into the Washington game, he was backing up Reggie Smith at field corner, with Lendy backing up DJ at boundary corner. The two positions are not completely interchangeable, so when the decision was made to replace DJ, they went with Lendy because Marcus hasn't been working at boundary corner this fall. But they will work him there this week in practice since the starting job is apparently up for grabs between him and Lendy, and the coaches want to make sure that they have their best two corners on the field.

This makes sense to me. I was having a hard time understanding how one of the top 3 corners in his class was getting beat out by a converted WR. I think Marcus is going to be a great corner and I can't wait to see him on the field again.

tulsaoilerfan
9/11/2006, 05:12 PM
Why? No one but AD carries the ball anyway:D

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 05:17 PM

He'd be buried further in the depth chart. We need depth at corner/db. He's in the right place, just had a tough couple of games. He'll rebound.