PDA

View Full Version : Props to Smith & Birdine

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 12:12 PM
1) Reggie Smith: he continues to be pleasantly absent from the network coverage on any pass plays because the opposing teams NEVER throw to his side of the field. It's odd that a first year corner can gain that sort of reputation that quickly. I hope that says more about Smith's coverage than it does about our other corners.

2) Larry Birdine: showing the flashes of the speed/strength combination that will make him a force again. Great surge and pass rush on the series we had
Washington pinned on the one. He almost got a safety TWICE. Impressive. It's nice to see him back on the field and shaking off the dust.

I'm predicting both of these will be all-Big XII, first team.

sooner518
9/11/2006, 12:42 PM
I havent seen Smith on defense once! Either theyre throwing all underneath routes, or they throw to DJ. Has Smith even had to defend a single pass yet?

BIG_IKE
9/11/2006, 12:44 PM
Well, if DJ keeps giving up cakemix there is no need to throw to Smith's side.

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 12:52 PM
I havent seen Smith on defense once! Either theyre throwing all underneath routes, or they throw to DJ. Has Smith even had to defend a single pass yet?

I've only seen him making tackles. That's why I'm giving up the praise. It's impressive. I think it's a combination of these three factors:

1) Coordinators planning to take advantage of the weaker side,
2) Smith blanketing his receivers, and
3) Wolfe taking taking too many gambles without the ability to recover.

The thing that Lendy has on DJ is the ability to turn & swivel. Better hips. Wolfe doesn't get around quickly enough. It's the same reason why we put Lendy back there to return punts last year - he has that quickness and shiftiness in the hips that makes for a great returner (like Smith). Lendy just couldn't catch it very well. Who knows, maybe that's why they gave DJ the start instead of Lendy to begin with?

I think Lendy and Walker will split time this week. Althought I wish they'd go with just one to let him get in the groove. Walker is the better tackler.

I think Lendy will get the start . . . we'll see. This probably belongs on that other thread.

Hurts to see DJ go to the bench - that guy's put in a lot of work for the squad. I hope he doesn't get too discouraged.

Taxman71
9/11/2006, 02:11 PM
Smith looks much more physical than he did last year. 14 games into his career he is looking like a future Thorpe winner.

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 03:38 PM
Smith looks much more physical than he did last year. 14 games into his career he is looking like a future Thorpe winner.

Agreed. He looks much more instinctive/aggressive coming up in run support. I think part of it is the experience, but part is that he's' closer to the line and doesn't have as many responsibilities as he did when he was playing safety.

He reminds me of Straight in a big way. I'm looking forward to SOMEONE trying to throw his way.

IronSooner
9/11/2006, 05:21 PM
I'm curious to see what Lendy can do. Seems like he looked good in the spring, moves around well, just doesn't catch the ball too well. If he catches 1 out of 4 at CB I think we'd all be pleased with that.

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 05:24 PM
I'm curious to see what Lendy can do. Seems like he looked good in the spring, moves around well, just doesn't catch the ball too well. If he catches 1 out of 4 at CB I think we'd all be pleased with that.

As long as he's in position to make a play on the ball, that's all we need.

bixby28
9/11/2006, 11:36 PM
Lendy Holmes made some great plays in the Fall Scrimmage i attended earlier last month. he had 3 picks between Thompson and Halzle and was in position all scrimmage long. I just hope he can do it Saturday to Saturday this season, too. I wouldn't write DJ Wolfe off, though. He made one bad play, as far as i can remember vs. UW, and got beat deep against UAB, but i don't think he's an Onyenegecha-like-flop yet.

Texas Golfer
9/11/2006, 11:56 PM
Smith and Birdine both had great games!

Egeo
9/13/2006, 12:02 AM
onyenegecha was probably our best corner last year...

darien williams had a solid game too

bob stoops discussed reggie smith in his press conference (today i think)
he said that because smith played the wideside corner that he got less passes thrown his way.

i dont really understand it, but bob said that it was harder for qb's to be accurate and have the arm strength to get the ball across the field.
and that most teams run to the wideside, therefor he had more run support chances.

bri
9/13/2006, 12:09 AM
The thing to keep in mind with Lendy: When you don't make the catch as a receiver, it's a dropped pass. When you don't make the catch as a cornerback...it's a defended pass. :D

And I like the fact that we have to put Reggie on offense and throw the ball to him just so he can be on TV. ;)

KingDavid
9/13/2006, 01:07 AM
bob said that it was harder for qb's to be accurate and have the arm strength to get the ball across the field.
and that most teams run to the wideside, therefor he had more run support chances.

And I'll bet your thought was the first one that I had: um, why is he not playing the short side of the field, then? I must be missing something . . . Somebody call me stupid . . . but at least teach me . . . :)