PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska/Usc..I think the cornholers

daddywarbucks
9/11/2006, 08:32 AM
got a shot at the upset here what dya think?

sanantoniosooner
9/11/2006, 08:33 AM
nope

David Earl
9/11/2006, 08:35 AM
I just don't see it. NU is improving, but not enough to take out SoCal.

JonnyRed
9/11/2006, 08:37 AM
Any team always has a shot to beat another, but this shot does not look very good to me.

devOUt
9/11/2006, 08:41 AM
usc will abuse nu like they did the pigs.

Partial Qualifier
9/11/2006, 08:45 AM
I'm thinking Nebraska gets cornholed.

Chuck Bao
9/11/2006, 09:02 AM
I'll love to see the Big XII go 4-0 on the pac-10 this weekend and I'm hoping that Nebbish has a little more success than the pigs on offense. I'm not sure the black shirts are back and can keep USC out of the endzone.

BTW, Sic'em Bears against Wazzu.

And, maybe just maybe Colorado can get it's act together for Arizona State.

daddywarbucks
9/11/2006, 09:03 AM
Heres to hoping they pull it off, I have always admired the NU fans, classy as a whole. In 2000 after we had won the game in Norman they were stopping by the 5th wheel and congratulating us on a great win and wishing us luck to win it all..Good fans.

colleyvillesooner
9/11/2006, 09:07 AM
35-17 USC

Hatfield
no way colorado beats ariz st. (or anyone else for that matter)

homerSimpsonsBrain
long shot with a limb in the way

Miko
9/11/2006, 09:29 AM
long shot with a limb in the way

down hill with a varying crosswind.:hot:

The Maestro
9/11/2006, 09:33 AM
Just curious what the original poster has seen from Nebraska to think they have a chance against USC. If Arkansas had played at Nebraska it would be a dogfight. USC blew at Arky at Arky. There's a reason that point spread is 17.

stanvman
9/11/2006, 09:34 AM
I just hope they keep it respectable.

Dan Thompson
9/11/2006, 09:49 AM
USC is going to make an example of NU something on the order of 55 -10

poke4christ
9/11/2006, 10:02 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think that the Big 12 goes 1-3 against the Pac-10 with Baylor being the only win. It know it sucks, but I here's my thinking:

Nebraska is looking good, but still not good enough to knock of USC on their home turf. I think it will be pretty high scoring

38-28 USC

Colorado may be the worst team in the conference. No way they knock off ASU.

24-7 ASU

Oklahoma is getting better, but they have still shown signs of struggle. I think they have the best shot of these 3, but not enough for me to pick them to win.

28-24 Oregon

Baylor looked great against a horrible team, but WSU went 4-7 last year and its too early to tell how much better they are.

27-17 Baylor

Zach

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/11/2006, 10:09 AM
USC is going to make an example of NU something on the order of 55 -10Yup, until the suc is #1or #2, they will be trying to impress the voters.

daddywarbucks
9/11/2006, 11:17 AM
Just curious what the original poster has seen from Nebraska to think they have a chance against USC. If Arkansas had played at Nebraska it would be a dogfight. USC blew at Arky at Arky. There's a reason that point spread is 17.
Well here is why I could possibly see an upset.
And granted this has been against inferior teams but, as we know these "inferior teams " seem to savor these moments to show all there best.
nebraska has a Nice senior QB in Zack Taylor who has shown himself poised in the pocket ( in Nebraska?) and a pair of running backs that are averaging over 5.6 yds per carry each. Neb. first two games they have shown a great balance of run and pass with 513 yds rushing and 569 yds passing while out-scoring there opponets 105-17. In there first game this year they held Nichols (who?) to 0 thats zero yds passing. I dont care who your playing 0 is a good number to shoot for. I am not saying Neb. is a world beater but I do pick them to win the north this year and Give USC a headache...just my two cents worth.

MiccoMacey
9/11/2006, 11:21 AM
I honestly think NU will move the ball at will against USC.

It'll be a high scoring game. Booty played great at Arkansas, but NU's defense is better that the Razorbacks.

NU 38-28

Rhino
9/11/2006, 11:31 AM
Very unlikely. Especially with USC being off this past weekend.

MiccoMacey
9/11/2006, 11:42 AM
So was NU (they played Nicholls State...pretty much a bye game).

Desert Sapper
9/11/2006, 11:51 AM
USC stomped a mudhole in the piggies at Arkansas. They've had two weeks to prepare for NU. NU has played Louisiana Tech and Div I-AA Nichols State. It's good for NU that they blew those teams out. They should have blown them out. Those teams suck. I hate Callenburger, but it would be nice for the North to have somebody playing at the level of the Big XII South. NU could be that team this year, but they haven't played anybody good enough to be able to tell anything about them yet. USC is going to dominate up front on O and D. They are going to pass all over NU's secondary. They will probably even run for a big chunk of yardage with their 20 prep all-americans rotating in the backfield. This is in the Coliseum, suc is a really good football team, NU is just okay (so far). I could be wrong, but I espect this to be a major blowout.

suc 52

NU 6

MiccoMacey
9/11/2006, 12:05 PM
USC stomped a mudhole in the piggies at Arkansas.

You're pretty high on a Hogs team that got schooled by USC and just beat Utah State 20-0. Utah State. Until Arkansas shows they're a beter team, NU has played almost the same caliber of team as USC.

Being at USC, not usually a huge home field advantage. They don't even sell out for the UCLA game.

I'll stick with my prediction.

daddywarbucks
9/11/2006, 12:15 PM
And like was said already uSC has only played one game.

Desert Sapper
9/11/2006, 12:34 PM
You're pretty high on a Hogs team that got schooled by USC and just beat Utah State 20-0. Utah State.

Could be they were still reeling from an opening loss. I'm not very high an Arkansas, I just call it as I see it. This article sums it up for me:

ESPN Column about the rout in Fayeteville (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2571389)

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Clearly, USC has lost it.

Last year, the Trojans scored 28 points in their first eight offensive plays against Arkansas. This year, USC was still scoreless against the Razorbacks after eight plays.

It kicked a field goal on its ninth.

After that, USC made its fans wait an interminable 18 more plays before scoring its first touchdown of 2006. It took another eight plays to score a third time, on another field goal. You can imagine the disbelief rippling through Troy at that point.

Last year the Trojans scored 70 points on 67 offensive plays against Arkansas. This year, they needed 80 offensive plays to score their measly 50 points.

Like they're Duke or something.

What's happened to these guys? It's almost as if you took two Heisman Trophy winners and a guy who scored 26 touchdowns out of the backfield or something.

But before relegating USC to the has-been heap, let's mention this fact:
Last year's Trojans averaged 49 points per game. This year's Trojans just hung 49 plus one -- the most points scored on Arkansas in Fayetteville since something called Henry Kendall College recorded 61 here in -- not a misprint -- 1919. That's five years before Frank Broyles was born, and it's believed that Frank Broyles' signature is on the Declaration of Independence.

(TCU scored 56 on the Razorbacks in 1990 and Miami rang up 51 in 1987, but those games were in Little Rock.)

And this little muscle flexing came against a team -- hell, an entire state -- that had been laying in wait for them since that 70-17 annihilation last September.

Guess I won't give up on 'em just yet.

The fact is, after makin' bacon out of the Hogs for the second successive season, USC has stamped itself as completely worthy of being in the national title discussion once again. (Unlike another Pac-10 team that traveled to Dixie, California.) Trojans '06 might not match up star-for-star and stat-for-stat with Trojans '05, but they match up mighty well with every current title contender in the country after Week 1.

No other top 10 team looked this good in a setting this hostile. Period.
With a Razorback Stadium-record crowd of 76,564 calling the Hogs, Pete Carroll never called off the dogs. Not until a statement had been made that will be heard from Columbus to Austin to Morgantown to South Bend to Auburn to Baton Rouge: even with a new quarterback and a cast of babies running the ball, USC hasn't gone anywhere.

"It's really a satisfying win for us," an amped Carroll said afterward. "We came back and played the way the Trojans play football."

Here's how this latest incarnation of the Trojans played football Saturday night:

• With speed, ferocity and opportunism on defense. This is the best unit on the USC team, featuring a set of linebackers that go sideline-to-sideline swiftly and hunt heads relentlessly.

Arkansas came out with a game plan that was heavy on misdirection running plays and underneath passes to its backs. It proved useless trying to throw the ball in front of USC's 'backers and outrun them. The Hogs had one offensive first down in the first quarter-and-a-half and trailed 13-0 before loosening up their approach.

The Trojans' defense set the tone for the game by gouging the ball loose from Fumbly Felix Jones on the Hogs' third, eighth and 12th plays from scrimmage. The Trojans recovered two of the three loose balls, converting them into 10 points.

For the game USC forced five turnovers and had none of its own, consistent with a program that is a staggering plus-99 in the turnover department in 65 games under Carroll.

"That," said Carroll, "is our philosophy in action."

• With aplomb and accuracy from its quarterback. John David Booty (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=145168)'s first start looked remarkably similar to Matt Leinart's first start, back in 2003. On the road against an SEC team, Leinart was mistake-free and very productive in a big win against Auburn that sparked his brilliant three-year starting run. Booty was the same here, completing 24 of 35 passes for 261 yards and three touchdowns.

"He was great," center Ryan Kalil said. "He handled the huddle like he'd been playing there for three years. … We're so proud of him."
Said co-offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian: "He was extremely calm. That's very encouraging. The thing that I loved about him, in the second half he started getting a little fire in his eyes. That's nice to see."

Booty received a text message from Leinart on Friday and talked to him that night and again Saturday. He said Leinart's message was fairly simple: "You're going to do great. … Just deal the ball."

Booty started off dealing too quickly, in his own estimation.
"I was trying to do everything a little too fast," he said.

But after one quarter, the adrenaline had dissipated and Booty got down to carving up the porkers. With Carroll's urging, Sarkisian and Lane Kiffin opened up the offense more and their QB responded.

"I was encouraging our guys: 'Let's go!' " Carroll said. "We were playing a little bit safe at first."

The game plan need not stay safe for long. Booty has proved he can handle more, especially with the guys he's throwing to.

• With matchup nightmares at the receiver spots. In a remarkable deviation from standard play-calling, USC threw on 12 of its first 14 plays in the red zone. Part of that was dictated by Arkansas' tendency to blitz when backed up against its own goal line, part by the absence of primo power back LenDale White -- and part by the size and athleticism of the Trojan receivers.

Wideouts Dwayne Jarrett (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=161084) and Patrick Turner (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=175345) are both 6-foot-5. So is tight end Fred Davis (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=156173). They combined to catch 12 passes, two of them for touchdowns, as they used their size and reach to outmaneuver Arkansas defenders for Booty's passes.

"We've got some nice weapons," Sarkisian said. "We've got some guys who can make plays for you down in there tight."

• With a cast of thousands at running back. Six previously inexperienced USC RBs got carries against Arkansas, and nobody got more than 12. These Trojans don't have a runner with Bush's burst or White's goal-line power, but they'll bring more fresh legs to a game than any other top 10 team.

And Carroll loves it this way. Nothing guarantees more intense practices than an all-out fight for the right to carry the football.
"I'm not going to try to create some formula [for getting guys a set number of carries]," he said. "The competition is on again. Every one of these guys is competing for playing time again -- including some guys who didn't get to play."

The competition for playing time may be over at quarterback for Arkansas, after a fourth quarter that began as an anticlimax and ended as a melodrama for Hogs fans.

When starter Robert Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=148627) came out with the Arkansas offense for its first possession of the fourth, he was roundly (and cruelly) booed. The debacle was hardly Johnson's fault, but it was clear that the populace was wildly eager to see the Hogs' golden child, mega-recruit Mitch Mustain.

Mustain finally entered the game with 9:40 left, to raucous approval from what was left of the record crowd. He promptly took the Hogs 80 yards in five plays, capping the drive himself with a touchdown run. Judging from the crowd reaction, you'd have thought they just tied the game.
Johnson had just been Wally Pipp-ed, and knew it. As Mustain and the offense came off the field, the junior sat motionless on the bench. He eventually moved over a seat for Mustain when he got back to the sideline but otherwise did not acknowledge or congratulate the true freshman at all. Neither did the other backup QB who was in the August mix, Casey Dick (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=170906).

Mustain came back to Earth his next time out, throwing an interception. But his 4-for-6 for 47 yards will play much better than Johnson's 12-for-25 for 110 yards, and Arkansas coach Houston Nutt will have a statewide mutiny on his hands if Mustain isn't the starter this week against Utah State.

But the head coach will have to cut through some obvious team tension to make sure the Hogs coalesce around Mustain. Nothing less than his job security will depend on it.

"We've got to grow up in a hurry," Nutt said. "We've got 11 more games. It's a long season ahead of us. This game is over and we can't do anything about it."

Neither can USC, which clearly has some work to do of its own. Maybe by Sept. 16 it will remember how to score 28 points in eight plays, after this embarrassing eight-play shutout in Fayetteville. But there's just a wee bit of hope that these Trojans might end up being pretty good, too.
Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He can be reached at [email protected].

royalfan5
9/11/2006, 12:40 PM
First of all, NU can win if they don't turn the ball over, control the ball and clock, and don't give up big plays on special teams and defense. Nebraska's secondary is injury riddled and young right now, but the front 7 is one of the better groups in the nation. If the secondary can keep the USC recievers in front of them and tackle, and make USC move the ball in long drives, the odds are better that the NU defense can get a drive killing sack or turn-over or USC shoots it's self in the foot somehow. I have never been impressed with USC's on-field discpline and mental toughness, and at times they have played down to their competion. NU will have to play near perfect football, and take advantage of USC mistakes to have a chance. One thing that will help NU if it is close, is our kicking game is pretty solid, that might create an oppurtunity if NU stays close. I think NU can move the ball on SC through the short passing game, I don't know how well, NU can run the ball against SC, I suspect NU will have it's moments on ground where the look great, and some where the RB is getting buried 5 yrds deep. Purify is NU's first real deep threat in awhile and he might be able to break one. NU's tight ends will be a big help as well. In regards to the homefield advantage, if will be SC's homefield, but there are going to be a ton of NU fans there, much like South Bend a few years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if NU had more than a quarter of the crowd. If NU plays perfectly and SC makes mistakes, NU will have a shot, if NU doesn't play perfectly, it will likely be a very ugly game. NU has played fairly discplined so far this year, and I am pretty confident that NU won't do a lot of foot-shooting on Saturday. I think NU will be in this game, but I would be surprised if they win.

MiccoMacey
9/11/2006, 12:42 PM
Biggest fluff piece I've ever read. The guy must have graduated from USC.

I'm not saying USC isn't any good.

I just think NU will be better.

We'll see. Either or, it's NU and USC.

Not OU and UO. :D

The Maestro
9/11/2006, 12:47 PM
Well here is why I could possibly see an upset.
And granted this has been against inferior teams but, as we know these "inferior teams " seem to savor these moments to show all there best.
nebraska has a Nice senior QB in Zack Taylor who has shown himself poised in the pocket ( in Nebraska?) and a pair of running backs that are averaging over 5.6 yds per carry each. Neb. first two games they have shown a great balance of run and pass with 513 yds rushing and 569 yds passing while out-scoring there opponets 105-17. In there first game this year they held Nichols (who?) to 0 thats zero yds passing. I dont care who your playing 0 is a good number to shoot for. I am not saying Neb. is a world beater but I do pick them to win the north this year and Give USC a headache...just my two cents worth.

Well, we'll see...but you are really impressed with Nebraska stats against Nicholls State and La Tech? I mean, if you average 5.6 yards per carry against Nicholls State that should translate to about 2.6 vs. USC. The SC defense is the big improvement this year over last. They will be strong again...maybe not as strong as 2004, but better than 2005.

1991SOONER
9/11/2006, 12:47 PM
I don't see NU even getting close to beating USC. But that would be great if they did.

royalfan5
9/11/2006, 12:49 PM
Well, we'll see...but you are really impressed with Nebraska stats against Nicholls State and La Tech? I mean, if you average 5.6 yards per carry against Nicholls State that should translate to about 2.6 vs. USC. The SC defense is the big improvement this year over last. They will be strong again...maybe not as strong as 2004, but better than 2005.
NU also played Nicholls State in a driving rain for 4 quarters. That hindered things somewhat as well.

soonerhubs
9/11/2006, 12:50 PM
Someone quote this next week. Nebbish beats USC propelling them back into the National Spotlight, then we play them in the Conference Championship and win propelling us to the NC game.

1991SOONER
9/11/2006, 02:09 PM
Someone quote this next week. Nebbish beats USC propelling them back into the National Spotlight, then we play them in the Conference Championship and win propelling us to the NC game.

Thats what I was thinkin'

OK2LA
9/11/2006, 06:01 PM
Thats what I was thinkin'

He said NEXT WEEK DAMNIT!!!!;)

Desert Sapper
9/11/2006, 09:01 PM

That sounds good to me. Hope it works out that way.

goingoneight
9/11/2006, 09:44 PM
Arkansas is the Fran of the SEC. Nebbish is a team with more experience together. I don't really like Slash, but I'll cheer for anyone to out Pete Carroll for another bend-over in the NFL. USC is just sickening when a decent coach comes in and coordinates them. They don't recruit guys on potential like the other traditional powers do. They only recruit top-tier Heisman watch-type kids and boot them if they have bad games. It was like that in their earlier days of "dominance" also. The media tends to love SUC more than Notre Dame, and that's a pretty big hard-on for the Trojans if you ask me. No pun intended.

Here's hoping, NU 42 SUC 14 en route to BIG 12 North Title and matchup with OU in December. Cross your fingers, Sooners!

okcusooner
9/12/2006, 12:49 AM
No way the Huskers win. Maybe they beat the 18.5 point spread.

This is SC's home opener. Booty looked sharp in the second half against
Arkansas; the trojan defense looked tough in both halves.

Huskers are certainly improved, but I don't think the 2001 NU team would win this Saturday

picasso
9/12/2006, 12:55 AM
USC by 24.

chbrew09
9/12/2006, 01:33 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think that the Big 12 goes 1-3 against the Pac-10 with Baylor being the only win. It know it sucks, but I here's my thinking:

Nebraska is looking good, but still not good enough to knock of USC on their home turf. I think it will be pretty high scoring

38-28 USC

Colorado may be the worst team in the conference. No way they knock off ASU.

24-7 ASU

Oklahoma is getting better, but they have still shown signs of struggle. I think they have the best shot of these 3, but not enough for me to pick them to win.

28-24 Oregon

Baylor looked great against a horrible team, but WSU went 4-7 last year and its too early to tell how much better they are.

27-17 Baylor

Zach

hmmm...last i checked washington was still in the pac-10

QuackAttack
9/12/2006, 01:43 AM
I think Nebraska has a very good chance. Sure USC is a good team, but, hell, they lost their 3 best players, and then some, last year. They are not the team of last year. I believe Ohio State would handle USC as they did Texas last weekend.

I am more interested in the last game of the year for Notre Dame in so cal verses USC.

sooner969
9/12/2006, 02:44 AM
If OU manages to go to the Big XII championship it would be beneficial if Neb pummels the living **** out of USC. In that vein I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a cornhole miracle and that we in turn kick the **** out of them.

Readyfor8
9/12/2006, 02:49 AM
USC to cover this weekend, im not making it a pick, but I can't think of a more worthy 4th pick than this one... USC to cover 17

Earickson
9/12/2006, 08:21 AM
I think NU has a good chance too.

They have looked great against two really low talent teams, but consistently executing all the way.

USC will have two weeks to prepare, but early in the year I don't know if that is a good thing or not, it could be a negative. They aren't getting the reps to work things out on the field, so in my opinion they are a week behind the rest of the country.

Watching games like FSU-Troy this past weekend once again reminded me that there is a reason they play the game...........
You never know what to expect until that opening kickoff. Sense and reason say that the sUC will roll up the bugeaters, but you never know, it could be the correct time in the universe for the condoms to be reminded of their all too human status.

Nobody is special, well, at least not forever. OU was special longer than anybody ever has or will,(47 times in a row)!!!

soonerloyal
9/12/2006, 08:31 AM
"On any given gameday..."

We knew QB Zach when he was knee-high to a grasshopper, playing soccer with my middle son. He's a fine young man with a great set of ethics and family. He would have made a wonderful addition to the Sooners and I was sorry to see him go to NE, but he will take them far.

I repeat, "on any given gameday...". I'm thinking it's certainly possible, and we'll be rooting for the Huskers like we always do. Until they play OU.

poke4christ
9/12/2006, 08:59 AM
hmmm...last i checked washington was still in the pac-10

What does that have to do with this week? OU played Washington last week.

Zach

FaninAma
9/12/2006, 09:02 AM
Under Callahan the Nebraska program has essentially morphed into another mid-level to upper-level PAC 10 type team. They run the West Coast offense and no longer have the Black Shirt physical defense.

To win this game the Huskers need to hit USC in the mouth often and early and they need at least a +3 margin in turnovers. I don't see this defense doing that. And USC is very adept at handling the offenses in the PAC 10.

If Nebraska turns over the ball it will be ugly. If they don't +17 sounds about right.

And I'm still not sold on Josh Booty. A redshirt freshman QB is vulnerable to a good, physical attacking defense. Too bad Nebraska doesn't have one.

I think the USC defense is vulnerable to a good, physical rushing offense. Too bad Nebraska doesn't have one.

daddywarbucks
9/12/2006, 09:40 AM
Under Callahan the Nebraska program has essentially morphed into another mid-level to upper-level PAC 10 type team. They run the West Coast offense and no longer have the Black Shirt physical defense.

To win this game the Huskers need to hit USC in the mouth often and early and they need at least a +3 margin in turnovers. I don't see this defense doing that. And USC is very adept at handling the offenses in the PAC 10.

If Nebraska turns over the ball it will be ugly. If they don't +17 sounds about right.

And I'm still not sold on Josh Booty. A redshirt freshman QB is vulnerable to a good, physical attacking defense. Too bad Nebraska doesn't have one.

I think the USC defense is vulnerable to a good, physical rushing offense. Too bad Nebraska doesn't have one.

Nebraska has already shown that they DO have a Defense cabale of hitting you in the mouth...and have two (2) running backs averaging mor that 5.6yds per carry.....did I miss something?? Oh I know they havent played anyone...Neither has USc

picasso
9/12/2006, 09:47 AM
USC by 27.

royalfan5
9/12/2006, 10:19 AM

Yes, NU tied for the nations lead in sacks last year by not attacking and being physical. The NU front 7 is as physical as you will find, and Carricker will likely be first round pick. The defense you saw last year against Oklahoma was pretty injury riddled, and not all that deep. NU finally has some depth on defense and will hold there own against the run. The youth in secondary will be the problem Saturday, not the run or pass rush.

The Maestro
9/12/2006, 10:31 AM
Did anybody who thinks Nebraska will hang with USC watch their game at Arkansas? That was 50 points on the road against an SEC team with some respect nationally as a team right around the 25th ranking.

Yes, USC lost some studs. A few years ago they lost a Heisman Trophy winning QB in Carson Palmer. His replacement had to start his first career game on the road at top ranked Auburn. How did that guys career turn out?

Folks, USC is the machine in college football right now. Reverse one of two fourth down plays that went against them in the Rose Bowl, one on offense and one on defense, and they are in serious position to threaten the untouchable 47 game winning streak. Nothing but respect and props to the Trojans. They are king in college football right now.

Sooner47
9/12/2006, 10:43 AM
got a shot at the upset here what dya think?

http://img345.imageshack.us/img345/3812/pigsflyingjz0.jpg

GDC
9/12/2006, 10:47 AM
Big 12 Insider: Conference faces tough third week
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
9/12/2006

The Big 12 is deservedly proud of the 20-4 record its teams have compiled thus far against nonconference competition. But the league better enjoy it while it can.

The third week of the 2006 season has all the makings of a lost weekend for the Big 12. In fact, it wouldn't be a total shock to see the conference go 4-8.

That's correct, 4-8.

And that's not what the Big 12 needs right now. Not after Texas' loss Saturday to No. 1 Ohio State cost the Big 12 an excellent chance to improve its national image.

When it comes to locks this weekend, Oklahoma State (Florida Atlantic), Missouri (at New Mexico), Texas (at Rice) and Texas A&M (Army) are the only teams that are all but guaranteed victories if they just show up.

Kansas opens the action Friday night at Toledo. The Jayhawks barely survived at home against lightly regarded Louisiana Monroe, 21-19.

Kansas State should up its record to 3-0 at home against Marshall. But the Wildcats remain an enigma under new coach Ron Prince, following a one-point win over I-AA Illinois State and a 45-0 blowout of hapless Florida Atlantic.

That leaves Oklahoma (at Oregon), Nebraska (at USC), Iowa State (at Iowa), Baylor

(at Washington State), Colorado (Arizona State) and Texas Tech (at TCU).

Pick one game out of the aforementioned six that you consider an automatic Big 12 victory. Colorado has no shot against the Sun Devils, while USC will show Nebraska it still has a ways to go before the Cornhuskers' program is back at the level former coach Tom Osborne left it.

Iowa State is fortunate to be 2-0 after lackluster performances in its home stadium. The Cyclones went three overtimes to defeat Toledo, and UNLV was throwing for the game-winning touchdown on the last play in Ames last Saturday.

Washington State hasn't scared anyone since coach Mike Price left. But the Cougars look like they can contend with Baylor after Saturday's 56-10 win over Idaho.

Texas Tech manhandled TCU two years ago in Lubbock, 70-35. The Horned Frogs, who have the nation's longest winning streak at 12 straight, are certain to be motivated by memories of that blowout against a Red Raiders' team that needed an overtime to win last week at UTEP, 38-35.

"We're playing three teams that basically have been playing with a major chip on their shoulder and have been preparing for us the better part of a year," coach Mike Leach said of Tech's nonconference schedule, which also includes SMU.

Asked about TCU's winning streak, Leach said, "We've got plenty to be concerned about without really worrying about that. But that's on our top 100 list of things to talk about and make sure we address."

And, finally, there's OU's trip to Oregon. The chip TCU has on its shoulder with Tech can't be any bigger than what the Ducks are feeling after losing at OU in 2004 and against the Sooners last December in the Holiday Bowl.

Give the Sooners this: They are the only Big 12 team that doesn't have a I-AA opponent on the 2006 schedule. But coach Bob Stoops didn't sound all that thrilled Monday that OU continues to schedule at least one nonconference heavyweight each season.

"You're not really rewarded for it with anything outside of getting yourself prepared for your conference schedule," Stoops said. "It rates maybe a complimentary pat on the back. But in the end, everybody counts up wins and losses and wherever you're ranked in the polls."

The Big 12 could end up covering its eyes instead of patting itself on the back after it counts up the wins and losses following this weekend's games..

stoops the eternal pimp
9/12/2006, 10:57 AM
if USC = Nicholls State, then no problem for Nebraska

imasoonergirl
9/12/2006, 11:14 AM
Has anyone been paying attention to the Hogs they only beat Utah St. 20-0.
If they were anygood at all in which I dont believe they are they should have beat Utah St. by a good 50 points any other top notch school would have. Hogs suck USC hasnt been chalenged yet!!

BIG_IKE
9/12/2006, 11:44 AM
I feel dirty saying this but I pray for a Husker win, followed by a SUC win over ND at the end of the season, and we could be in the NC.

MiccoMacey
9/12/2006, 11:47 AM
Ike...this is why you can't start threads yet. :D

BIG_IKE
9/12/2006, 11:56 AM
What do you mean?

RiddlerOK
9/12/2006, 12:07 PM
USC by 27.

Picassso, I am with you. Too many Cornholer apologists on the board today. I expect USC to methodically drive on Nebraska at will. Patrick Turner, Fred Davis and Emmanuel Moody will have big days.

49-10, USC. Book it!

MiccoMacey
9/12/2006, 12:08 PM
What do you mean?

*OFFTOPIC* Can someone please tell me why I cannot make a new thread? Is there a post requirement or something? Thanks..

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77637

You can run but you can't hide...:D

Scott D
9/12/2006, 12:52 PM
I hope USC gives Nebraska an *** whupping on par with January 26th, 2003 so that Callahan has flashbacks.

FaninAma
9/12/2006, 01:02 PM
Nebraska has already shown that they DO have a Defense cabale of hitting you in the mouth...and have two (2) running backs averaging mor that 5.6yds per carry.....did I miss something?? Oh I know they havent played anyone...Neither has USc

2 games do not translate into a tradition or even a trend.

Last year the Huskers rushed for a grand total of a little over 1100 yards. They were 26th in defense giving up over 330 yards a game even though your schedule was weak(Weak OOC and no Texas). By comparison OU, in a down year, had the 13th rated defense playing a much, much better schedule.

So far this year the Huskers are rated 80th in sacks against Popcorn St. and the University of the Weak Sisters.

USC is about to rip your heart out and show it to you before you hit the ground.

PS. I do like the Husker fans but you're kidding yourself if you think you have a physical team either offensively or defensively.

daddywarbucks
9/12/2006, 02:32 PM

Last year the Huskers rushed for a grand total of a little over 1100 yards. They were 26th in defense giving up over 330 yards a game even though your schedule was weak(Weak OOC and no Texas). By comparison OU, in a down year, had the 13th rated defense playing a much, much better schedule.

So far this year the Huskers are rated 80th in sacks against Popcorn St. and the University of the Weak Sisters.

USC is about to rip your heart out and show it to you before you hit the ground.

PS. I do like the Husker fans but you're kidding yourself if you think you have a physical team either offensively or defensively.

Neb. is not my team. I have been a die hard OU fan since I was old enough to say football.. I am just showing that by what we haave seen so far this year, NEb is showing they can play ball. 1100 yds all last year rushing? trhey already have half of that..have been shutting down the passing game almost completely in one instance...just giving credit were it is due. USC hasnt done anything to impress me so far this year.

Octavian
9/12/2006, 02:38 PM
Nebraska/USC...I think the cornholers

...get smoked in a laugher.

Even w/ Callenburger and Boo, I'd like to see the Huskers win...but LaTech was able to pick apart their secondary at times in Lincoln.

And I think USC's '06 defense has improved from last year...you can't be one-dimensional and beat USC in their home opener.

38-13 Trojans.

poke4christ
9/12/2006, 02:57 PM
Neb. is not my team. I have been a die hard OU fan since I was old enough to say football.. I am just showing that by what we haave seen so far this year, NEb is showing they can play ball. 1100 yds all last year rushing? trhey already have half of that..have been shutting down the passing game almost completely in one instance...just giving credit were it is due. USC hasnt done anything to impress me so far this year.

Blowing out an SEC team on their own turf doesn't impress you (I realize not the best SEC team). Did what Missouri did to Mississippi impress you?

Zach

daddywarbucks
9/12/2006, 05:09 PM
Look all Im saying is that USC hasnt done anything yet...It took 5 turnovers to make the game look like it did...if you cant beat the snot out of some team...ANY team with five turnovers, you should take up badmitton or soemthing. USC had 1 sustained drive the whole game...against ARK?
And dont try to tell me the pigs are any good because they beat utah state either. All I got to say is that if USC is hoping for five turnovers from NEB they are in trouble.final score from the usc game was a blowout: 50-14. take away the turnovers and that is an entirely different game. Ark is right there with them.

Scott D
9/12/2006, 05:45 PM
me thinks some of you protest too much on Nebraska's behalf. I'll wager they have 3 turnovers.

daddywarbucks
9/12/2006, 05:49 PM
I will wager if Neb turns it over twice they lose. But I will say the same thing about usc.

CORNholio
9/12/2006, 06:13 PM
Brasky plays them close. Win or lose they regain some respect from the national media by how close they play USC. Write it down.

usmc-sooner
9/12/2006, 06:54 PM
Huskers get smoked

and it's not what I want, just what I think will happen.

royalfan5
9/12/2006, 07:56 PM

You don't get alot of sacks when a team only attempts 3 passes in a game. Last year the NU defense lost 3 starting linebackers and was on the field incessantly because the offense didn't move the ball very well much of the vear. Last year NU couldn't run the ball because our tackles were very poor at playing football. As the players that Solich recruited move on and Callahan's players move in, as well as the S&C fall off is being fixed, you will see continous improvement. You can't read too much out of last year into this years Nebraska team. NU may well get railed by SC, but the secondary will be more of a problem than the front 7. This years O-line is worlds better than last years just because they can remember the snap count. I think you will be surprised by NU on Saturday.

ouwasp
9/13/2006, 12:13 AM
I hope neb either wins outright or gets blasted. Don't wanna hear any aggie-like bragging of a close loss.

Sorta like I felt when watching last week's tosu/ut game.

poke4christ
9/13/2006, 08:25 AM
Look all Im saying is that USC hasnt done anything yet...It took 5 turnovers to make the game look like it did...if you cant beat the snot out of some team...ANY team with five turnovers, you should take up badmitton or soemthing. USC had 1 sustained drive the whole game...against ARK?
And dont try to tell me the pigs are any good because they beat utah state either. All I got to say is that if USC is hoping for five turnovers from NEB they are in trouble.final score from the usc game was a blowout: 50-14. take away the turnovers and that is an entirely different game. Ark is right there with them.

Well said.

P.S. Yeah, I actually made it to my 100th post. Can't believe I made it this long.

FaninAma
9/13/2006, 08:59 AM
You don't get alot of sacks when a team only attempts 3 passes in a game.
So what you're saying is that Nebraska has played a couple of weak, one-dimensional teams so far this year and that's what you're basing your assertion on that the Huskers are a much more physical team this year?

OK.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/13/2006, 09:01 AM
I smell a rout. It's a strong smell, like cabbage fart or something.

tulsaoilerfan
9/13/2006, 09:04 AM
No chance

Rhino
9/13/2006, 10:45 AM
Oh, Deer Lord.

Huskers' Jones all but guarantees win over USC (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AsfAQrE6xHhbG4sDIKnU6RUcvrYF?slug=ap-t25-nebraska-jones&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By ERIC OLSON, AP Sports Writer
September 13, 2006

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- To Nebraska cornerback Andre Jones, it's not a matter of if the No. 19 Cornhuskers beat fourth-ranked Southern California on Saturday. It's a matter of when.

"When we beat this team, we can show the world that we are a great team and we restored the order," Jones said Tuesday.

Jones, a transfer from Fresno City Community College, signed with the Huskers last winter after turning down an offer from USC. The Fort Walton Beach, Fla., native was supposed to back up Zackary Bowman this season, but Bowman sustained a season-ending knee injury in August and Jones became a starter.

Jones isn't fretting about the Trojans having won 46 of their last 48 games, a Pacific-10 record 27 straight home games and that the Huskers are three-touchdown underdogs.

"I like to hear it. Most of my life, I've been the underdog anyway," he said. "People said I wasn't as good as I seemed, and I've always come out on top. That's why I came to this school.

"When we beat USC, its going to slingshot our season."

Jones also seems unfazed by the prospect of having to cover two of the top receivers in the nation in Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith.

"My friends have all been calling me, blowing up my phone, talking big noise and everything -- saying how they're going to beat us, saying all these threats they have on their team," Jones said. "We've got the same amount of threats over here."

"We're going to come up on top. USC is a great team. Of course, it's not going to be an easy game like it was against Louisiana Tech and Nicholls State."

Jones has two tackles and two pass breakups in two games.

Jones started his college career at Kentucky, where he played three games in 2003 before suffering a season-ending leg injury. He was awarded a medical redshirt for 2003 and transferred to Fresno.

He had five interceptions his first year and two interceptions and 13 pass breakups last season. He was ranked among the top defensive backs coming out of the junior college ranks, and he drew scholarship offers from four other Pac-10 schools in addition to USC.

"It came down between USC and Nebraska. When I went there, I just didn't sense that love that I felt when I came here," Jones said. "It's more Hollywood out there. It didn't seem real to me. I wanted to come to a town where football is loved. And what better town than (Lincoln)."

UNSeeN_
9/13/2006, 01:42 PM
Nebraska wins by 2

husker-stv
9/13/2006, 04:00 PM
USC got 31 points off of 5 Arkansas turnovers - all giving them scoring drives of less than 28 yards (4 TD's, 1 FG).

Whoever wins the turnover battle, wins the game. Period.

NU has a much stronger OLine - a much stronger front 7 on D, better RB's, better WR's, and much improved TE play.

They are not the same team you all saw play last year - even against Michigan. They WILL absolutely make a game of it. Whether they win, I'm not sure, but they WILL play well.

OklahomaRed
9/13/2006, 04:40 PM
Neb wakes up and wonders who the heck scheduled a D-I team so early in the season? Sorry, but cornhuskers get beat by at least 2 TD's, and that's if they don't turn the ball over.

OU_PhD
9/13/2006, 05:03 PM
I like USC super-big in this game.

Readyfor8
9/13/2006, 05:09 PM
USC got 31 points off of 5 Arkansas turnovers - all giving them scoring drives of less than 28 yards (4 TD's, 1 FG).

Whoever wins the turnover battle, wins the game. Period.

NU has a much stronger OLine - a much stronger front 7 on D, better RB's, better WR's, and much improved TE play.

They are not the same team you all saw play last year - even against Michigan. They WILL absolutely make a game of it. Whether they win, I'm not sure, but they WILL play well.

You have to be shrooming.

Octavian
9/13/2006, 05:33 PM
I really respect the Nebraska fanbase. They know their history, they know the game and they were a heckuva great counterpart to Oklahoma for decades.

When we nose-dived in the '90s, they strung together one of the best runs in the history of the sport.

But right now I think there's an element in their fanbase that's so desperate to regain lost respect and clout that they've worked themselves into a frenzy and any glimmer of hope brings the "Nebraska's Back!" or "Order Restored!" crazies out of the woodwork.

I don't remember the last time I've seen a fanbase so confident when they've been 18 pt underdogs. They REALLY want to win this game. And I hope they do....but right now I don't think their program is anywhere near the level where that growing, hopeful element of their fanbase either thinks or wants it to be....maybe I'm wrong...

SC, 38-13.

JPNSKER
9/13/2006, 10:43 PM
I really respect the Nebraska fanbase. They know their history, they know the game and they were a heckuva great counterpart to Oklahoma for decades.

When we nose-dived in the '90s, they strung together one of the best runs in the history of the sport.

But right now I think there's an element in their fanbase that's so desperate to regain lost respect and clout that they've worked themselves into a frenzy and any glimmer of hope brings the "Nebraska's Back!" or "Order Restored!" crazies out of the woodwork.

I don't remember the last time I've seen a fanbase so confident when they've been 18 pt underdogs. They REALLY want to win this game. And I hope they do....but right now I don't think their program is anywhere near the level where that growing, hopeful element of their fanbase either thinks or wants it to be....maybe I'm wrong...

SC, 38-13.

30+ years of 9 (or more) win seasons & 5 NC's will do that to some people.;)

In all honesty, we are gathering momentum on "our way back", but like you said, I don't think were there yet. I think a lot of confidence comes from having Zac Taylor running the offense. He is a very hard working guy that is very humble. A true midwestern blue collar type. Also, we have a really good stable of I-backs that are learning the offense. I know, a lot of outsiders never heard of them, but that will change after this year. Our O-line is getting more solid by the week and our D is capable of keeping us in some tough games this year. Secondary is questionable and I think the majority of Husker fans see this as our downfall. Maybe they will step up, but until they do, I think that's our main weakness.

Every team has their own "battle-cry" fans. You guy's felt that bitterness in the 90's and we are hoping to get over it now.

If we stay within 10-14 points, I'll only take solace in the fact that we are getting better. I also think we can win if we play error free ball, but that's a big IF.

Octavian
9/13/2006, 10:56 PM
30+ years of 9 (or more) win seasons & 5 NC's will do that to some people.;)

In all honesty, we are gathering momentum on "our way back", but like you said, I don't think were there yet. I think a lot of confidence comes from having Zac Taylor running the offense. He is a very hard working guy that is very humble. A true midwestern blue collar type. Also, we have a really good stable of I-backs that are learning the offense. I know, a lot of outsiders never heard of them, but that will change after this year. Our O-line is getting more solid by the week and our D is capable of keeping us in some tough games this year. Secondary is questionable and I think the majority of Husker fans see this as our downfall. Maybe they will step up, but until they do, I think that's our main weakness.

Every team has their own "battle-cry" fans. You guy's felt that bitterness in the 90's and we are hoping to get over it now.

If we stay within 10-14 points, I'll only take solace in the fact that we are getting better. I also think we can win if we play error free ball, but that's a big IF.

well said.

The VIIIth
9/13/2006, 11:00 PM
I think a lot of huskers will be stunned saturday night...
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4620/stunhuskermany6wm.jpg

JPNSKER
9/13/2006, 11:08 PM
Nice one VIIIth. Did you grab an old family photo for that one?;)

I don't know, Octavian, if the Trojans keep dropping players this weeksee link (http://usc.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=521&mid=79028243&sid=&tid=79028243&style=1) we may just end up playing their scout team.:eek:

I hate to see kids go down with injury's and USC just might have lost their starting center today.

The VIIIth
9/13/2006, 11:10 PM
Nice one VIIIth. Did you grab an old family photo for that one?

Your Mom said you wouldn't mind...
:pop:

The VIIIth
9/13/2006, 11:14 PM
This picture is from the last Husker foray to the West Coast...2001 Rose Bowl.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/2001/bowls/news/2002/01/03/rose_nebraska_ap/lg_wilhelm_ap-01.jpg

JPNSKER
9/13/2006, 11:18 PM
Boy, you're coming up with all sorts of originals this evening.

You do realize we landed on the moon, right?:stunned:

Octavian
9/13/2006, 11:22 PM
I don't know, Octavian, if the Trojans keep dropping players this weeksee link (http://usc.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=521&mid=79028243&sid=&tid=79028243&style=1) we may just end up playing their scout team.:eek:

I hate to see kids go down with injury's and USC just might have lost their starting center today.

I just don't think your talent is on par w/ an elite program yet...

Add the USC home field advantage, a suspect Husker secondary and a questionable Nebraska running game....I can see why the condoms are favored by almost 20 points.

Tell you what though...if you all win, come back and I'll eat me some crow pie. ;)

Octavian
9/13/2006, 11:23 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/2001/bowls/news/2002/01/03/rose_nebraska_ap/lg_wilhelm_ap-01.jpg

that never gets old

XingTheRubicon
9/13/2006, 11:57 PM
If we stay within 10-14 points, I'll only take solich in the fact that we are getting better. I also think we can win if we play error free ball, but that's a big IF.

Fixed.

;)

MiccoMacey
9/14/2006, 07:15 AM

Stunned Husker, first cousin to, and forerunner of, Stunned Aggie. :D

usmc-sooner
9/14/2006, 07:23 AM

where's his corn cob?

Sooner_Bob
9/14/2006, 07:51 AM
Soooo what time is this game being played on Saturday anyway?

husker-stv
9/14/2006, 08:20 AM
Soooo what time is this game being played on Saturday anyway?

Game time - 7PM

Scott D
9/14/2006, 08:42 AM
understand husker fan, I really don't want to see your team do poorly....I just want your head coach to crash and burn into the firey pit of hell....or at least Idaho.

JPNSKER
9/14/2006, 12:21 PM
Fixed.

;)

Heh. Our Solich was your Gibbs.:D

SoonerBlonde87
9/14/2006, 02:11 PM
I think Nebraska can do it.. If they really want to win the game. They will play the game with their hearts. Plus I think USC is going to come into the game with the biggest egos ever

Readyfor8
9/14/2006, 04:12 PM
I think Nebraska can do it.. If they really want to win the game. They will play the game with their hearts. Plus I think USC is going to come into the game with the biggest egos ever

But you are blonde, so using the word think shouldn't apply to anything that passes through your head.

TheGodfather889
9/14/2006, 04:20 PM
The USC Trojans will blowout Nebraska.

poke4christ
9/14/2006, 04:45 PM
But you are blonde, so using the word think shouldn't apply to anything that passes through your head.

At least up a smily or something on that to make it sarcastic and not insulting. If you meant it though, that was just sad.

Zach

Readyfor8
9/14/2006, 06:34 PM
At least up a smily or something on that to make it sarcastic and not insulting. If you meant it though, that was just sad.

Zach

Wow are you giving me pointers on posting on a Sooner Message board? I guess i'm the only one that knows what a blonde stereotype is.

Take a hike sheep humper, I don't need you to give me etiquette lessons.