PDA

View Full Version : PT's Progression - 2 Games In

westcoast_sooner
9/10/2006, 10:10 PM
I was just reading Coach Stoops' comments about the game on Rivals and it started me thinking about how PT has become the ENA over the first two games. And, I thought about how well that reflects on Josh's coaching ability.

Paul has had several years in the system, but didn't really show much last year when he had the opportunity. But when he got the call, and had only a few short weeks to get ready, how he's really progressed better than most would have expected. Josh had to spend a lot of time with him and help him get ready for UAB, in KW's offense. He did well in that game, and really looked strong yesterday.

Still makes me wonder how we would have done last year if we had stuck with him. Any other thoughts?

dolemitesooner
9/10/2006, 10:13 PM
I think that Ena is playing very well .....In the second half of the wazzu game he started to show some touch somthing I thought he did not have. I think that he is only going to get better and he is have a great season so far.

sooner969
9/10/2006, 10:20 PM
Thompson has been impressive so far. The offense is lightyears ahead of where anyone thought they'd be. If the defense can somehow perform a miracle and catch up to them we'll be sittin pretty.

tbl
9/10/2006, 10:28 PM
He would have been much better at this point, but he's doing great for where he is... Maybe that stint as a receiver helped a little as well.

batonrougesooner
9/10/2006, 10:28 PM
He looks much better than I thought he was going to. He looks calm, doesn't get nervous in the pocket, and takes time to read the field. He hasn't really made any serious bonehead decisions that I've recognized yet. I think he threw a couple of questionable passes (the long completion to Kelly yesterday comes to mind...he hung it up there with three defenders in the area..Kelly was lucky to come down with it) but overall I think he's been pretty solid.

Once they work out his tendency to overthrow some passes, he will be very good indeed.

Egeo
9/10/2006, 10:29 PM
I think that Ena is playing very well .....In the second half of the wazzu game he started to show some touch somthing I thought he did not have. I think that he is only going to get better and he is have a great season so far.
wazzu is washington state
we played udub

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/10/2006, 10:31 PM
My two cents: his biggest problem is overthrowing. Once that's corrected, he'll be great.

SoonerGM
9/10/2006, 10:32 PM
i still think he did better last year than everyone gives him credit for. i remember lots of dropped balls and not having any time to throw because the oline looked like swiss cheese. but yes, he is better so far this year and i do believe he is going to get even better.

ive said it before, and i will say it again. they should have never started bomar over thompson.

Widescreen
9/10/2006, 10:40 PM
I like Thompson's development. It will be interesting to see how he's playing this time next month. A few more weeks of reps and he could be REALLY good. I still say that, at the time, it was the correct move to play Bomar last year. Hindsight and all, though...

StoopTroup
9/10/2006, 10:44 PM
You have to be impressed by his versatility IMO.

He has become one of those guys who will be remembered for sticking through it thick and thin. A true "Teammate".

As far as his play...

His 2nd game was much improved and his throws seem to be much more on the mark.

His confidence level rises with each game.

The QB position is not a worry IMO.

Texas Golfer
9/10/2006, 11:07 PM
I will give the same criticism to PT as I gave to VY. He's very accurate with the short passes and can run exceptionally well. He does have a problem with the long passes.

VY corrected that problem last year and I hope PT can, too.

picasso
9/11/2006, 12:15 AM
My two cents: his biggest problem is touch passes. Once that's corrected, he'll be great.
fixed.

he's great on spot throws. he just struggles with the touchy finess type pass.

SoonerGOP
9/11/2006, 01:31 AM
Let me just say that PT is a strength, not a weakness. His overthrowing is something that will be taken care of.

Our defense is my concern. Followed by our offensive line.

AlbqSooner
9/11/2006, 03:28 AM
ive said it before, and i will say it again. they should have never started bomar over thompson.
That would have given Bomar more time for his second job.;)

BIG_IKE
9/11/2006, 08:26 AM
Im not worried about ENA...he is doing great.
As soon as the defense steps up..WATCH OUT!!!!!!

TripleOption14
9/11/2006, 08:36 AM
How is it that the D is the major problem this year?!?! :eek: Since when under the Stoops tenre has D been a problem. Odd my friends very very odd!! Its gonna be something to watch out for if its not fixed REALLY fast!

westcoast_sooner
9/11/2006, 09:35 AM
I will give the same criticism to PT as I gave to VY. He's very accurate with the short passes and can run exceptionally well. He does have a problem with the long passes.

VY corrected that problem last year and I hope PT can, too.

I agree - the long passes still cause him some problems. He has a tendency to overthrow, which could be a bad thing against a competent secondary. But I think he'll get that corrected, it's just a matter of time.

Malcolm helped PT out by coming up with the ball with three defenders around him. He and Igleasias are play makers, but he shouldn't have thrown that ball.

I'm sure that Josh will work closely with all of the QBs to correct that.

OUGreg723
9/11/2006, 09:48 AM
Our D is very good. They have just not been playing to their ability at all. They will get there and we will have a VERY good chance at winning the Big 12. One week at a time boys..its all about how you finish, not how you start.

GDC
9/11/2006, 10:13 AM
Ducks to challenge offense
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
9/11/2006

Sooners need offense to click against No. 18 Oregon on the road on Saturday.
In Week 1, Oklahoma's rebuilt offensive line played surprisingly well and the Sooners' unknown tight end group stood out. The skill position players, however -- quarterback, running back, receiver -- fell well short of their potential.

But Saturday's 37-20 victory over Washington, OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said, was just the opposite.

"Yesterday, I thought our skill positions really picked it up -- can be better, but played a heck of a lot better (than a 24-17 win over UAB) -- and we didn't play as well on the line or tight end," Wilson said Sunday.

Now is the time for all good players -- blockers and ballcarriers -- to come to the aid of their offense.

Wilson said OU will need to put all aspects of the offense together this week when the 15th-ranked Sooners (2-0) visit the No. 18 Oregon Ducks (2-0) on Saturday in Eugene.

"To go on the road and play a great team at their place, in a tough environment, we're going to need all 11 guys clicking a lot more effectively this weekend to get this win," he said.

Paramount for the offense is taking care of the football and eliminating presnap penalties. Quarterback

Paul Thompson was forced into two turnovers because of blocking mistakes that freed up Husky defenders to dis lodge the ball or force a bad throw. And there were five false start penalties -- on four different players -- that derailed drives.

Two false starts came on the first drive of the game. One came on second-and-6 from the Washington 10 and ultimately forced a field goal. One came when the offense was already backed up to its own goal line. Only once -- in the fourth quarter, when Paul Thompson passed to Fred Strong for 9 yards on third-and-10 and Adrian Peterson gained 3 on fourth-and-1 (and eventually scored) -- did a pre-snap penalty not kill a drive.

"Football's not a game of perfect. Offense is not a game of perfect. You're always going to have glitches," Wilson said. "But you want to eliminate the self-inflicted wounds where you're hurting yourself, especially the turnovers and pre-snap penalties. You get behind chains and lose yards not because . . . of a guy physically beating you, but because you're beating yourself. You're not going to play at the championship level, you're not going to win championships and win on the road with if you're playing that type of football."

The challenge is magnified this week because Oregon's Autzen Stadium is a small but noisy den of din. Opposing offenses there frequently can't hear their quarterback's cadence, which leads to all kinds of mayhem.

The offensive line play, head coach Bob Stoops said, "needs to be more consistent and we need to be better. We're capable of playing better up there. We have to get more consistency and eliminate those penalties that have nothing to do with the actual play."

And it wasn't just false starts and busts in pass protection. Although Adrian Peterson gained 165 yards and averaged 5.2 yards per carry, 19 of Peterson's 32 rushing attempts failed to gain more than 3 yards (one was a 1-yard touchdown). Of those, 11 came in the second half, when it looked like the offense had solved its first-half problems.

"Stats and yards and points," Wilson said, "can sometimes skew some things."

Wilson said Peterson did a much better job against Washington of running hard into the designated hole.

"He took a bunch of 2-yard runs and got 5, 6 and 7," Wilson said. "He just ran through some trash. He's the biggest, strongest, fastest guy on the field. First game, a couple times, there was some hesitation and looking for some things, and this game he was decisive and ran through it. He was close a couple of times to coming out with some big ones. And I don't think he had any busts in the pass protection at all. It was 100 percent there."

Wilson said his comments last week about Peterson being "a man" and admitting he didn't play well -- despite 208 total yards, two touchdowns and the game-deciding play -- were blown out of proportion and were not meant to be a negative criticism.

"It wasn't a challenge, other than that's how we're coaching that guy, to keep playing hard," Wilson said. "He's a tremendous practice player and loves to play. Practices hard and plays hard. I just thought in this game, he looked a lot more like him, with taking that football at the defense and feeding it in there and feeding it."

Peterson would certainly have surpassed 200 yards, though, if there would have been more room to run. That's something the blockers will spend a lot of time on this week.

"When (defenses) pack everybody up there and he gets through, there's no back end support," Wilson said.

"They'll get a better challenge this week, and we're going to need them to be better this week as we go out to Oregon."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

Online: Read other stories about OU football and the OU blog by writers John Hoover and Guerin Emig at www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra..

GDC
9/11/2006, 10:15 AM
OU scouting report: Oregon Ducks
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
9/11/2006

When: 2:30 p.m. Saturday

Where: Autzen Stadium, Eugene, Ore.

TV: KTUL-8

Coach: Mike Bellotti (12th year, 92-42)

2006 record: 10-2

Quick kicks: Oregon defeated Fresno State 31-24 Saturday night on a fake field goal with 4:55 to play. Holder Brady Leaf ran an option play and pitched the ball to kicker Paul Martinez for the game-winning 4-yard touchdown. . . . Leaf split time with Dennis Dixon at quarterback in the Ducks' 17-14 Holiday Bowl loss to OU last December. Dixon is 44-of-66 for 476 yards and no interceptions as Oregon's full-time QB this season. . . . Oregon is 0-6 against the Sooners, including losses in '05 and '04. . . . This will be OU's first trip to Autzen Stadium, where the Ducks are 22-1 against nonconference opponents under Bellotti. The only nonconference foe to win in Eugene since 1995 is Indiana in '04. . . . Saturday will be Oregon's 44th consecutive home sellout. . . Bellotti became the Ducks' winningest head coach last Saturday. . . Dexter Manley II, son of the former Oklahoma State great, is an Oregon reserve defensive end..

GDC
9/11/2006, 10:16 AM
OU three questions
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
9/11/2006

1. What will it take for Oklahoma's run defense to improve?
Better play at defensive tackle. "The special guys create a new line of scrimmage," defensive coordinator Brent Venables said Sunday. So far, the interior rotation of Cory Bennett, Steven Coleman, DeMarcus Granger and Carl Pendleton have been knocked off the line or out of their gaps too often, and linebackers aren't free to run to the ball.

2. Should two more turnovers from Paul Thompson be cause for alarm?
No. Despite an interception and a potentially fatal fumble, neither was Thompson's fault. He got hit by a pass rusher while throwing the first time, which forced a bad throw and an interception. He got hit by another defender in the third quarter, which forced a fumble. One was a missed block by the tight end, the other

3. How good is Oregon?
Hard to tell. In Week 1, the Ducks drilled Stanford, who looked even worse this week. Then in week two, Oregon barely got by scrappy Fresno State on the road. QB Dennis Dixon is far better than Washington's Isaiah Stanback (though not as fast), and the offensive and defensive lines are much more physical than what the Sooners have seen so far..

GDC
9/11/2006, 10:17 AM
OU Notebook: Wolfe benched
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
9/11/2006

When cornerback D.J. Wolfe was beaten for a 51-yard Washington completion midway through last Saturday's second quarter, his day was over. Lendy Holmes replaced him for the last two quarters.

Now it appears Wolfe's season is in jeopardy as well.

"Marcus (Walker) and Lendy will end up probably competing at (Wolfe's) spot right now," defensive coordinator Brent Venables said Sunday. "D.J. will still have opportunities to get back out on the field. In what capacity remains to be seen."

Wolfe was an All-Big 12 Conference honorable mention corner last year, but he has struggled from this season's outset. He gave up 32- and 30-yard completions to UAB in the opener, then was dressed down by coaches on the sideline after the 51-yarder Saturday.

"A conservative, safe coverage," head coach Bob Stoops said Sunday, referring to the defensive scheme against Washington's third-and-11 play. "About as elementary as it gets."

Venables said there would be competition at strong safety this week in practice as well. Keenan Clayton replaced Jason Carter over the final three quarters.

Pick three: The Sooners entered the season intent on increasing their 2005 interception total of 13. Two games in, however, they have

yet to pick off a pass.

Saturday against Washington, safeties Carter and Darien Williams had a total of three passes fall in and out of their hands.

"The ball was in the air too many times for us not to get a pick," said Williams, mindful of the Huskies' 30 pass attempts. "I should have gotten one, but it's on everybody to make plays. That's what our defense does. We make plays."

Oregon quarterback Dennis Dixon has yet to be intercepted over his first two games (a total of 66 passes).

More like it: One week after criticizing Adrian Peterson's performance against UAB, offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson was impressed with his tailback's effort against Washington.

"The first game, a couple times there was some hesitation and looking for some things. This game, he was decisive and ran through it," Wilson said. "He was close a couple of times to coming out with some big ones. I don't think he had any busts in the pass protection at all.

"He was very physical with the football in the way he attacked with his initial read, making one cut, playing fast."

Stewart still sore: Jonathan Stewart, the tailback who led Oregon with 168 rushing yards in a season-opening romp over Stanford, carried just once in a 31-24 victory at Fresno State on Saturday night. He scored on a 3-yard touchdown, then sat out with ice on the left ankle he injured the previous week against Stanford.

Stewart led the NCAA with a 33.7-yard kickoff return average as a true freshman last season. He carried just twice for six yards in Oregon's 17-14 Holiday Bowl loss to OU last December./

Eddie Money
9/11/2006, 10:43 AM
Our WRs have made some outstanding catches too on some passes that might not have been right on target, but that's being nitpicky. I would sure love to see some more bootlegs and let them see ENA's wheels.

The O Line and D are the big question marks - actually, the D is a Question mark, some exclamation points, and a "WTF", but they will get it together soon. We are much better off this year than we were at this point last year.

Crimson Creamer
9/11/2006, 01:03 PM
i still think he did better last year than everyone gives him credit for. i remember lots of dropped balls and not having any time to throw because the oline looked like swiss cheese. but yes, he is better so far this year and i do believe he is going to get even better.

Can I get an Amen from the peanut gallery?

CtheB
9/11/2006, 01:29 PM
If we compare PT to JWhite, he's got a lot of room to improve. That being said, Clayton isn't on the receiving end of PT's passes. Three occasions I believe the new #9 doesn't come down with a ball the old #9 would have. That's at least three more TD passes in two games, and p'rty near four.

My point? PT is more than adequate thus far, and has performed well above what I expected. Get ready world, the rumor of OU's 'nonexistent' passing game will be history after this weekend.