PDA

View Full Version : Ducks focus on Oklahoma Game

Ash
9/10/2006, 10:04 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5954418 (linky)

After surviving against Fresno, Oregon focuses on Oklahoma

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) - It took a fake field goal for a touchdown and a botched blocked field goal by Fresno State for Oregon to survive in its first road game of the season.

The 18th-ranked Ducks know they'll need to be much better next week when they get a chance to avenge last year's Holiday Bowl loss to No. 15 Oklahoma.
Oregon (2-0) has to feel a little lucky that they head into the showdown with Oklahoma without a loss.

The Ducks first second-half touchdown in a 31-24 victory Saturday night over Fresno State (1-1) came one play after Fresno State's Ryan Machado tried to recover a blocked field goal only to lose the ball at the 5 in shades of Leon Lett's 1993 Thanksgiving blunder against for the Dallas Cowboys against the Miami Dolphins.

The next came on kicker Paul Martinez's 4-yard run on a fake field goal with 4:55 remaining.

With his 92nd win at Oregon, coach Mike Bellotti passed Rich Brooks to become the winningest coach in school history. It was fitting that the win came by way of a gutsy call from the coach.

"Coach Bellotti always has a trick up his sleeve," running back Jeremiah Johnson said. "He showed it tonight. That was a great call."

But Bellotti knows his team needs plenty of work before the Sooners (2-0) arrive in Autzen Stadium next Saturday.

The Ducks dropped numerous passes that cost them scoring opportunities, committed three personal fouls and gave up 154 yards rushing to Dwayne Wright.

"We were a little tired in the second half and they ran the ball better," Bellotti said. "We need to get better. That's one of the things that needs to be an area of improvement, especially this week playing a guy like Adrian Peterson. We better shore it up in there."

The Ducks have played the Sooners twice before, losing 31-7 on the road in 2004 and then again 17-14 in last year's Holiday Bowl. Peterson had 267 yards rushing in those games.

In the Holiday Bowl, Brady Leaf came off the bench to rally the Ducks in the fourth quarter before throwing an interception deep in Oklahoma territory in the final minute.

"It's tough losing such a heartbreaker like that," receiver Jaison Williams said. "It wasn't a heavy loss. It was very close. It hurt the heart a little bit. We'll go in with a little chip on our shoulder and see what that does for us."

Leaf and Dennis Dixon shared the duties at quarterback after Kellen Clemens broke his ankle in October. This season, Dixon has solidified his role as starter and the only contribution Leaf made so far was by flipping the ball to Martinez on the fake field goal against Fresno State.

Dixon had his second straight strong performance to open the season, going 23-for-36 for 240 yards. Dixon has completed 67 percent of his passes this season and has yet to throw an interception.

Dixon would have even better numbers if he receivers could hold on to the ball. Williams had six catches for 106 yards but also dropped a ball in the end zone and another long pass.

"Despite the dropped passes, which have plagued us two weeks in a row, Dennis threw the ball very accurately and made great decisions," Bellotti said. "He is a real threat when he runs the football and he operated the offense very, very well."

Dixon should have more help next week. Jonathan Stewart, who ran for 168 yards before his right ankle in the opener against Stanford, should be healthy enough to play against the Sooners.

Stewart tried to give it a go against Fresno State, scoring on a 3-yard run in the first quarter on his only carry of the game. But the ankle hurt too much and he told Bellotti he couldn't go anymore.

Johnson played well in Stewart's absence, running for 74 yards and two touchdowns, but the Ducks are expecting Stewart to start next week.

dolemitesooner
9/10/2006, 10:11 PM
Well I would hope they would be preparing for us.

boomrsoonr
9/10/2006, 10:19 PM
I hope they do have a chip on their shoulder. And I hope they believe all the hype they'll hear about how PT isn't any good, how AD isn't the RB he used to be, and about how our defense sucks.

Will make it more fun to rub it in when we beat them by two TDs.

mightysooner
9/10/2006, 10:20 PM
Can someone tell me why we haven't seen Allen Patrick on offense yet? I thought he was going to be a part of the offense.

westcoast_sooner
9/10/2006, 10:20 PM
"We were a little tired in the second half and they ran the ball better," Bellotti said.

Hmm - Don't we have someone that can run the ball pretty well?

boomrsoonr
9/10/2006, 10:22 PM
"We were a little tired in the second half and they ran the ball better," Bellotti said.

Hmm - Don't we have someone that can run the ball pretty well?

Oh, yes we do. And if they think they were tired in the second half of that game, he better have EMS standing by for the second half of our game.

tbl
9/10/2006, 10:38 PM
Don't forget, he's a second half back.

Paperclip
9/10/2006, 10:46 PM
Can someone tell me why we haven't seen Allen Patrick on offense yet? I thought he was going to be a part of the offense.

Stoops has said with the reduction in the number of plays AD doesn't need a rest.

StoopTroup
9/10/2006, 10:58 PM
Steamrollers never rest.

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~aduchate/Mac/steamRoller.JPG

GottaHavePride
9/10/2006, 11:00 PM
AD is the fastest damn steamroller I have ever seen.