PDA

View Full Version : I hope Arizona loses every game.

boomrsoonr
9/10/2006, 07:27 PM
Maybe they'll fire Mike and Bob will hire him back. :D

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 07:27 PM
Maybe they'll fire Mike and Bob will hire him back. :D
can we get an amen????

SoonerBlonde87
9/10/2006, 07:29 PM
can we get an amen????

Mmm... Not sure on that. I know Bob would most likely hire him back.. But what would that make people think about us. I mean.. it just a thought

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 07:30 PM
Mmm... Not sure on that. I know Bob would most likely hire him back.. But what would that make people think about us. I mean.. it just a thought
who cares what people think about us?? they all hate us anyway, it wouldn't do any harm to our rep

1991SOONER
9/10/2006, 07:31 PM

They might think we're blond;)

just kidding....

badger
9/10/2006, 07:32 PM
when mike left, we wished him the best. i don't think that involves his firing or zona goincompletely defeated.

SoonerBlonde87
who cares what people think about us?? they all hate us anyway, it wouldn't do any harm to our rep

still.. I mean come on. Don't you guys want the best for Mike? I mean yeah it would be amazing to have him back.

King Crimson
history repeats itself. the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce.

SoonerBlonde87
9/10/2006, 07:36 PM
They might think we're blond;)

just kidding....

OUCH!!!!! Ragging on the blonde eh?:D

cherokeebrewer
9/10/2006, 07:36 PM
I don't want Mike to get fired. Don't you guys like Brent?

boomrsoonr
9/10/2006, 07:38 PM
Brent has done a decent job. But even though we have wicked talent, he just can't seem to get them motivated the way Mike could.

the_ouskull
9/10/2006, 07:42 PM
I love Brent V. I like him and Mike back there together even better. Let's see. Stoops has lost only 16 games since he got to OU.

5 of those were in his first year.
7 of them have happened since Mike Stoops left, including 3 Championship Game losses to only 1 win. (1 B12CG and 2 NCG's vs winning 1 B12CG) With Mike here, this team performed at a higher level, more consistantly, especially on defense, than it has since he's left.

That's got NOTHING to do with liking Brent V. It's just real.

the_ouskull

SoonerBlonde87
9/10/2006, 07:51 PM
Still.. We should support mike

cherokeebrewer
9/10/2006, 07:52 PM
I wish Mike well and hope he's successful. Certainly don't want him to be fired.

boomrsoonr
9/10/2006, 08:01 PM
Don't get me wrong. I wish Mike well also. As long as he's in Crimson and Cream. ;)

Rogue
9/10/2006, 08:27 PM
Good Luck Mike Stoops. Thanks for all your hard work here and, of course, the memories.

proudsoonergal
9/10/2006, 08:28 PM
Do you mean lose the rest of his games? 'Cause he already has a win this year.

boomrsoonr
9/10/2006, 08:38 PM
Do you mean lose the rest of his games? 'Cause he already has a win this year.

He did? I mean, yeah, that's what I meant. ;)

FormerSoonerProf
9/10/2006, 08:40 PM
I still like Mike Stoops and want him to succeed... and I want Venables to succeed too. But when you put the two of them together, they acted better than each one acting individually. It was synergy, where each guy fed off the other. The intensity that they brought... I thought each was going to shout at the poor defensive player worse and harder than the other, when a mistake was made. And when a good play was made, each would outdo the other in terms of high five or a whack on the butt!! They were so f*******g intense in that 2000 NC season... I would get goose pimples just watching their intensity. I miss that!!!!

Scott D
9/10/2006, 08:42 PM
Amazing, apparently this offseason this board became populated with aggies masquerading as Sooners.

SoFla Sooner
9/10/2006, 09:01 PM
Amazing, apparently this offseason this board became populated with aggies masquerading as Sooners.

:eek: Yikes!!!! Say it Ain't So....but ya might be right! We can't be pulling for 'Zona to lose to USC, for example. Anyway, regardless of how we feel about the current staff, we can't wish any ill will on Mike Stoops--he's one of our own.:rolleyes:

boomrsoonr
9/10/2006, 09:08 PM
:eek: Yikes!!!! Say it Ain't So....but ya might be right! We can't be pulling for 'Zona to lose to USC, for example. Anyway, regardless of how we feel about the current staff, we can't wish any ill will on Mike Stoops--he's one of our own.:rolleyes:

:D

Not to single you out or anything, but I've been reading responses with all the "love" and I got to wondering how many posts would be on a thread about "Mike Stoops........." if OU was playing Arizona in a BCS Bowl game. You know the ones I'm talking about. The ones like "Ty Willingham wears ladies underwear on game day" threads.

goingoneight
9/10/2006, 09:14 PM
I noticed an immediate difference in 2004's OU defense when Mike was "officially" gone. I thought to myself that the B12 and 2004 Sugar Bowl were just flukes and we would be alright. But when Bob Stoops made the comment "I put my trust and faith in our coordinators and position coaches to help us reach the championship level of Oklahoma's tradition"... that says to me that he entrusts his D unit to Brent and BJ. I'm not one to pick on coordinators unless something in continuously and seriously wrong... such things as two straight years of over-pursuing and missed tackles, going on three. Chuck Long irritated me with his conservative workhorsing of AD, but I also remember his greater moments, he is a fine OC. Don't remember? Look at his players accomplishments since he took over as OU OC. Brent always recruits well, always has a ranked rush D, but his unit as a whole is boring with a few good hits every now and then. They make way too many Bomar-esque field mistakes to be considered "Bob Stoops best defense yet." If this team played with half of the fire and field smarts as say, the 2000-2003 units, OUr nearly three-deep unit would be absolutely phenominal. It just ****es me off when someone comes onto SF.com or comes up to me and says something like how "great" OUr defense looked against Baylor in 2005.

The way I see it is, BV and BJW have had some great defensive ball games to their honor, notbaly the Red River Shut-out and the 2004 B12 Championship Game, but those were more likely opponent-motivated than coach-motivated. Thing is, now the country and the media are starting to realize these problems with OUr D, and the problem is starting to be noticed, as it should. Channel 8 (ABC) made a comment during the Washington game that said OU would be a very stout team if they knew what a tackle was and how to do it. I think though it was a shot at OU, it was a brilliant point. OUr guys are physical, big, strong, and some of them very smart, but when some team runs an option, that is, the offense OU made famous, we look like idiots out there who have never seen it. The way I see the OU defense to date is, UAB should have never been in that game, and Washington should have been shut down immediately when their RB jogged past OUr safeties on the opening drive fro UW. You identify an offense, you break it down, you find their strengths and weaknesses, and you execute against them. Seems as though we have yet to do that.

Back on subject, Sure we had some bonehead moments when Mike Stoops was here, but how many times did a high school running back like UW's dude slip through Roy, Rocky, Teddy, Derek or Tommie's grip? Recruiting talent and doing nothing with it goes back to the Boo years. We're still miles ahead of Boo's OU teams, but even his defense at Nebbish can actually do their job. I want Mike Stoops to do well, I don't want him to fail or do bad... but I can guaran-damn-tee you I'd take him back on my staff if things don't work out in the USC+9.

cherokeebrewer
9/10/2006, 10:01 PM
I can guaran-damn-tee you I'd take him back on my staff if things don't work out in the USC+9.
Of course we'd take him back, no one said otherwise. Our defense hasn't been the same since he left. Heck, I'd take Mark too.

sooner969
9/10/2006, 10:10 PM
Vulnerables and BJ are average coaches at best. There can be no other reason for the fumbles bumbles and collapses that have occured during their watch. IF Texas had known how incompetent our secondary was that year or had the balls to test them, it wouldn't have been a shutout.