PDA

View Full Version : Will KW open up the playbook against Oregon?

Octavian
9/10/2006, 05:39 PM
I thought we still played it pretty close to the vest against Washington.

That's fine b/c we should be able to play vanilla and beat the two teams we've beat. And for the most part, we did. But now....

Will we use PT's running ability more?

Trick plays?

New ways for Adrian to get the ball in the flats?

We'll have three weeks to prepare for Texas after the Oregon game so I think we shouldn't hold anything back against the Ducks.

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 05:44 PM

That's fine b/c we should be able to play vanilla and beat the two teams we've beat. And for the most part, we did. But now....

Trick plays?

We'll have three weeks to prepare for Texas after the Oregon game so I think we shouldn't hold anything back against the Ducks.
i think we unleash hell on 'em

KingDavid
9/10/2006, 05:45 PM

Trick plays?

I'll bet we see more of the 5 wide. Look for the fade to Gresham for his first TD. ENA in the QB draw, too.

Some more predictions out of that set:

1) the slip screen to AD, or others.
2) the fake to AD on the slip screen and then over the top to Malcom.

soonercody
9/10/2006, 05:45 PM
Only if we have to.

OUHOMER
9/10/2006, 05:46 PM
I think your right,i dont think he has shown anything yet. AD has only had average games thus far. I bet we see a explosion with him next week.

They will stack the box and PT will light them up either by his feet or arm. When they start to respect this AD goes off on them.

Now, if we can get the D to standup we should be fine

King Crimson
9/10/2006, 06:08 PM
i don't think we'll be favored.

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 06:08 PM
i don't think we'll be favored either, but that's the way i like it to be

StoopTroup
9/10/2006, 06:09 PM
I don't think he'll have to open it, especially after seeing oregon play this week.

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 06:10 PM
I don't think he'll have to open it, especially after seeing oregon play this week.
i wouldn't underestimate fresno state. they've got a history of giving great teams a good little run. i think they deserve a little bit more credit than they're getting. playing fresno state in fresno is a pretty ballsy move

Rogue
9/10/2006, 06:13 PM
i wouldn't underestimate fresno state. they've got a history of giving great teams a good little run. i think they deserve a little bit more credit than they're getting. playing fresno state in fresno is a pretty ballsy move

Yup, agreed.

StoopTroup
9/10/2006, 06:16 PM
OK.

Hey maybe I'm wrong.

I dOUbt it.

We'll see in a few days.

KingDavid
9/10/2006, 06:20 PM

Trick plays?

I think KW will start to show multiple sets this week in order to occupy Texas' practice time preparing for multiple formations. I think they'll be holding something special back for Texas, though. They always do.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them continue to keep ENA in the pocket working on his throws. I think they'll unveil more of his running ability against the whorns.

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 06:22 PM
I think KW will start to show multiple sets this week in order to occupy Texas' practice time preparing for multiple formations. I think they'll be holding something special back for Texas, though. They always do.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them continue to keep ENA in the pocket working on his throws. I think they'll unveil more of his running ability against the whorns.
i think anything and everything they've been holding back will be unleashed on the whorns, but i think we'll see some, but not all, of it this week

The Preach Man
9/10/2006, 06:24 PM
Im personally NOT someone who thinks that we 'save' plays for better opponets (with some exceptions). I know it happens if we are beating a team by a bunch, but when it is close like against UAB any coach including Bob would be stupid to 'hold things back'. And I dont think that Bob is stupid.

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 06:29 PM
Im personally NOT someone who thinks that we 'save' plays for better opponets (with some exceptions). I know it happens if we are beating a team by a bunch, but when it is close like against UAB any coach including Bob would be stupid to 'hold things back'. And I dont think that Bob is stupid.
while i do agree with you partly, i also disagree with you somewhat. i don't know if it was just me or not, but even when we were down to UAB, the game still didn't have that close, nervous feeling that some of the games last year had. while stoops wouldn't want to lose, i think he knows that since we don't really have much of a shot at an MNC anyway, conference games are what matter the most. this may not account for him saving plays for oregon, but it would account for texas. i think he's smart enough to hold a little bit back, because at this point in time, texas seems to be the more stable team and he doesn't want to show them everything our team can do because then they'd be ready for it.

The Preach Man
9/10/2006, 06:43 PM
Well, we seem to be on the same page, just different parts of it. I guess my frustration with the whole "were saving things for texas" thing comes from my father in law. He doesnt understand the game much even though he has watched football longer than I have been alive. In the recent years past EVERY time we have a close game he says "Stoops is just saving the offense for texas (or whoever the next big game is against).

Well, inho a game is not a 'gimme' if we are only up by 3 TD's at halftime or in the 3rd quarter because all it takes is a couple of turnovers and the other team is up. Maybe its just because my father in law just drives me crazy with his football 'knowledge'...:P

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 06:45 PM
Well, we seem to be on the same page, just different parts of it. I guess my frustration with the whole "were saving things for texas" thing comes from my father in law. He doesnt understand the game much even though he has watched football longer than I have been alive. In the recent years past EVERY time we have a close game he says "Stoops is just saving the offense for texas (or whoever the next big game is against).

Well, inho a game is not a 'gimme' if we are only up by 3 TD's at halftime or in the 3rd quarter because all it takes is a couple of turnovers and the other team is up. Maybe its just because my father in law just drives me crazy with his football 'knowledge'...:P
i think, more than anything, what they're saving is a little bit of trickery. i don't think they would ever bring trickery out to try to beat a UAB or UW team. i think the coaches had enough faith that we could pull the game off with some fairly vanilla offense

proudsoonergal
9/10/2006, 06:55 PM
Well, if our offensive line could block like Fresno's last night, we won't need anything more than the ole "AD up the middle" play. Granted, it was towards the end of the game, but Oregon was giving up huge chunks of yardage to the FSU RB.

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 06:57 PM
Well, if our offensive line could block like Fresno's last night, we won't need anything more than the ole "AD up the middle" play. Granted, it was towards the end of the game, but Oregon was giving up huge chunks of yardage to the FSU RB.
amen

Readyfor8
9/10/2006, 07:01 PM
Force Oregon to respect the Pass and we can run AD all day. (redundant I know)

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 07:02 PM
Force Oregon to respect the Pass and we can run AD all day. (redundant I know)
i think oregon has more reason now to respect the pass than they did when dumbass was here

Doged
9/10/2006, 07:14 PM
It's not so much holding plays back (although some plays are designed for/unveiled against certain opponents) as it is "growing" the play book each week, I'm thinking. As the team gels and executes, then more plays out of the base sets can be added.

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 07:15 PM
It's not so much holding plays back (although some plays are designed for/unveiled against certain opponents) as it is "growing" the play book each week, I'm thinking. As the team gels and executes, then more plays out of the base sets can be added.
i think this is probably the closest to what is really happening. i hadn't really thought about that as a way to describe it

KingDavid
9/10/2006, 07:21 PM

A very telling sign about Oregon's ability to stop the run:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Jeremy Gibbs is a starter - or at least gets some serious pt. This the same Gibbs that decided the competition was too much in the Sooner interior to get any playing time.

I think we are going to get really untracked against this squad, folks. Unless Belotti coaches his arse off, the ducks will be quacking soprano by the end of the night.

Stitch Face
9/10/2006, 07:25 PM

Do you really think he can call the whole game from memory!?!?

westcoast_sooner
9/10/2006, 08:53 PM
I watched from the 2nd quarter last night the UO/Fresno game and it seemed like Fresno had a lot of success running the ball.

On the defensive side, we HAVE to stop Dixon. He tried to run that little option last night, and had some success with it.

Can't wait for Saturday night and that Duck dinner.

SoonerStud615
9/10/2006, 10:32 PM
http://www.seawear.com/images/irish/luck/wishbone~100.jpg

msteudem
9/10/2006, 10:46 PM
One of the wrinkles I think we will se is Reggie Smith lined up in in the RB spot next to PT in the shotgun. Also an end around or reverse with RS like Travis did against UCLA last year. Don't tell the ducks but I think were are going to unleash AD on them for 40 carries. That should quack (crack) there defense.

picasso
9/11/2006, 12:18 AM
that's not it. you implement plays each week for game plans. I'm of the opinion they've kept it light for Paul's sake. they have got to have more plays and formations drawn up. no doubt.

GottaHavePride
9/11/2006, 12:24 AM
http://www.seawear.com/images/irish/luck/wishbone%7E100.jpg
That's not good enough anymore! I want a wishbone with :les: SPINNERS!

I mean :lwm: SPINNERS!

Vaevictis
9/11/2006, 01:14 AM
(...) I know it happens if we are beating a team by a bunch, but when it is close like against UAB any coach including Bob would be stupid to 'hold things back'. And I dont think that Bob is stupid.

I don't know. It depends on what your goal is. If you can't beat UAB (for example) with your vanilla offense, your odds are probably even lower than usual to win the NC, right? So what's the next goal? Conference championship, right?

If your goal is to win the conference championship, then OOC games don't really matter. But if you beat Texas, you're in the drivers seat to win the Big XII South and go to the conference championship game.

At that point, if there's any benefit to it, it does make sense to "save" something for Texas -- even if it costs you an OOC game -- right?

noobalicious
9/11/2006, 01:23 AM
Oregon cornerback Jackie Bates suffered a broken bone in his lower left leg during the Saturday night victory at Fresno State and could be out for the rest of the regular season, UO coach Mike Bellotti said Sunday.

Bates, a junior who is Oregons most experienced cornerback, suffered the injury defending a pass in the third quarter. It was initially thought he had a sprained ankle but X-rays taken after the team returned to Eugene showed the broken bone.

We better open it up! I think that AD is primed for a big game although with their best CB out, that could improve prospects for ENA. 250 yards rushing to Fresno State. And they won on a trick play. Lookin better and better...

:pop:

jackietreehorn
9/11/2006, 01:30 AM
so you guys think the offense will be the problem? :confused: if something goes wrong i'm gonna bet that d.j. wolfe has something to do with it.

http://www.redraiders.com/images/112005/7648_512.jpg

Landthief 1972
9/11/2006, 10:28 AM
I bet KW blew his wad on UW and he's going to dig up Chuck Long's patented dive-dive-pass in the flat-punt formula. ;) <--- note the winkie, people!

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 10:55 AM
This from John Kelsey this morning:

(Note: I think he makes a good point, but it's pretty vanilla. I think KW's keeping them guessing even moreso by not showing a consistent scheme of attack on which opposing defensive coordinators can isolate their preparationl.)

Offense keeps OU’s foes guessing

By John Helsley
The Oklahoman

Through two games of this Sooner season, we’re starting to get a feel for Kevin Wilson’s offense.
Which is to say it’s, well, an offense that offers no real feel at all - for you, me or enemy defenses.

And so far, that’s a good thing for Oklahoma.

So much for Paul Thompson as the caretaker quarterback. Expectations of a grinding ground game featuring full doses of Adrian Peterson were mistaken.

The best news for the Sooners: Thompson has been much more than advertised; Peterson no less.

OU’s bruising back leads the Big 12 in rushing and ranks sixth nationally, averaging 152 yards per game. Peterson’s gotten every Sooner running back carry - 56 so far. So he’s getting his touches. He’s still the focal point.

And yet, this offense doesn’t deliver a run-first feel, even with its Heisman hopeful in the backfield.

Committed to the run, yes.

But not necessarily first.

Predictable, these Sooners are not.

“We’re going to run our running back,” Wilson said. “And I think he’s the best player out there.

“But we have to show people that we can throw the football.”

Back them off. Soften them up.

Against UAB and Washington, OU’s best work early came through the air, with Thompson tossing first-quarter scoring passes against both.

Eventually, the Sooners turned to Peterson to put away UAB. And against the Huskies, Peterson was fed the football 20 times in the second half, producing 107 yards and two touchdowns.

Still, Thompson was never shackled in the offense. His second half Saturday was surgical: 9-of-11 for 170 yards and another touchdown. “They threw the ball a lot,” Huskies cornerback C.J. Wallace said. “We wanted him to throw the ball. We wanted to come in concentrating on the run and make them a one-dimensional team.

“But the quarterback throwing the ball, it made it kind of hard on us.”

Bingo.

The Sooners produced 453 total yards, making a statement on the ground and through the air.

“We don’t have a thought process of equal run and pass, but we definitely think we need to have mix,” Wilson said. “We’re going to keep that mix, as good as that running back is.”

So Peterson remains the big gun. And Thompson keeps his gun handy.

Get a feel for that.

Crimson Creamer
9/11/2006, 03:28 PM
i think oregon has more reason now to respect the pass than they did when dumbass was here

Which one...Butterfingers Bomar or UpChuck 3rd n Long

Skysooner
9/11/2006, 04:02 PM
Maybe he just needs some high quality H2O

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Movies/9811/11/water.boy/waterboy.jpg

Kels
9/11/2006, 04:04 PM
This from John Kelsey this morning:
Wow! I made the paper!

It's already been said, but the coaches add more to the playbook each week. They have to start out with base sets, so the first couple of games always look more vanilla.

That's why we couldn't pull off a lot of chicanery against TCU last year. We didn't have anything else in the well that early in the season to go to.

We should see more and more of KW's offense unfold leading up to Texas. After that, there will be a lot of tweaking and special plays added in based on film breakdown and scouting of opposing teams.

rhombic21
9/11/2006, 04:11 PM
I think that there will probably be a few wrinkles. Maybe a little bit more of the QB run game (but not much), and probably one or two new plays or formations that we haven't shown yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Reggie Smith get involved with some sort of trick play.

But I think that the offense will look like more of the same. It's been pretty effective thus far. The one thing that I think you might see more of is a passing game from under center, and a run game from shotgun. Thus far we've been pretty consistent with those formations, passing the ball almost everytime from shotgun, and running or play actioning it almost everytime from under center. I'd look to see more max-protect deep ball shots on first down situations from under center, and maybe a few more run plays out of shotgun (similar to what we did in the Holiday Bowl) on second down and medium-long situations.

Here's the thing that Wilson has to know: Oregon is going to stack the box. Everybody that we play this year is going to stack the box. Even if PT throws for 250 a game on 65% completion, teams are still going to stack the box. Remember in 2004, when AD was a freshman and Jason was coming off his Heisman year? How long did it take before other teams really respected our run game, and made a concious effort to stop AD? Texas played freaking Nickel a good part of the game, because they wanted to stop the proven threat - Jason and our WRs. Well, this year it's the opposite. AD is the proven threat, and PT and our WRs are the ones that teams are going to say "we're going to make you beat us" to. I expect Kevin Wilson to do like he did in the Holiday Bowl against them, and come out aggressive. Looking back on that game, something like 5 or 6 of our first 7 plays were passes to loosen the defense up, and then we came back with AD in the second half after we established the passing game. I think we'll see a lot of the same approach on Saturday, because I fully expect Oregon to put their corners on an island and try to keep AD from running wild, especially after the game that they had against Fresno.

SleestakSooner
9/11/2006, 04:12 PM
"it's pretty vanilla"

Is that opposed to ugly chocolate?

FaninAma
9/11/2006, 04:18 PM
Word of the week: misdirection.

clambe00
9/11/2006, 06:43 PM
I think we will open up more against Oregon. We haven't seen Thompson run yet. Look at the first two games. UAB - Tight end 1st half; Adrian 2nd half
Wash - Receivers 1st half; AD 2nd half.

soonerinabilene
9/11/2006, 07:46 PM
I think your right,i dont think he has shown anything yet. AD has only had average games thus far. I bet we see a explosion with him next week.

anybody else love the fact that two straight games with over 150 total yards is an average game for OUr running back?

i think that he will continue to open the playbook up little by little until we hit conference play. i think he is finding what ENA is the most comfortable with during practice, and going with that for the gameplan. he added in the misdirection pitch this game, and i think that he is going to use ENA's legs more against the ducks d. he is finding the weakness in the opposing d, and then attacking it. i think he is going to use oregons speed on d as a weakness and use the spread option a little, so that when they over-pursue to ad, paul can tuck it and run. he also threw some out of the ace, and not just the shotgun, against udub, and i liked what i saw.

Crimsontothecore
9/11/2006, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure I buy into the theory that we've purpously kept the offense vanilla. I don't think these coaches would risk a loss by doing that. The first two games were too close for comfort at times. I also don't think PT will start running as much as some of you think. Knowing how disasterous it would be if he was lost to injury, I expect him to be kept close to the pocket for his own health.

SoonerLB
9/11/2006, 08:25 PM
We basically only need 2 additions to the playbook this week:
1. Blocking by the offensive line.
2. Tackling by the defense!

That is all!

boomrsoonr
9/11/2006, 09:08 PM
I just hope we win the coin toss. I hate getting the ball first.

Desert Sapper
9/11/2006, 09:28 PM
I hope we pass and play-action pass out of the I. I don't think we've done that enough. Teams know that AD is coming at them when we line up I. If the loss of their 'best corner' is a big loss, ENA shouldn't have a problem throwing on them.

BoomerSooner79
9/11/2006, 09:29 PM
How about, let's think of every trick play or play (to the strength of the players we know so well) and post them all on this thread....so the Oregon staff has less homework to do!

KingDavid
9/11/2006, 09:37 PM
How about, let's think of every trick play or play (to the strength of the players we know so well) and post them all on this thread....so the Oregon staff has less homework to do!

Good point. After all, we all know that opposing coaches dedicate a significant amount of their preparation to perusing our message boards for useful insights and recon.;)

TrophyCollector
9/11/2006, 09:45 PM

Yea, that 9 point thumping of Nevada was impressive. :rolleyes:

picasso
9/11/2006, 10:18 PM
you're way off if you don't think we have more plays/formations.
have you ever seen the offense Kevin Wilson ran at NW? he's going slowly with Paul and I'm thinking it will start to open up.

KC//CRIMSON
9/11/2006, 11:03 PM

The Aflacs are favored by 4.

DrZaius
9/11/2006, 11:42 PM
I love these threads about opening e playbook. You see them every season

Here is a couple that you won't see
1) The triple option fake punt

2) The double reverse pitchback screen pass

stoopified
9/12/2006, 11:17 AM
We are doomed as long as Chuck Wilson is our OC.:D.

BIG_IKE
9/12/2006, 11:45 AM
huh?

landrun
9/12/2006, 11:47 AM
Yes. He's going to open up the playbook... to page 2. :)

Kidding...

Truth is offenses slowly grow their playbook each week. We don't have any top secret formations and plays. :rolleyes: We've probably seen almost every play we have in our playbook up to this point. And we'll see more and more each week as grow the playbook adjusting our blocking schemes to the defenses we play. The important thing is that we mix up the plays we have well and keep them guessing. I think KW has done a very good job of that thus far. Much ... much better than Long ever did.

This is a big game. If we win, think we have a very real chance of going to a BCS bowl. I'm looking forward to seeing it. But I don't expect to see super-top-secret plays that WOW me. ;)

boomrsoonr
9/12/2006, 01:16 PM
Yes. He's going to open up the playbook... to page 2. :)

Kidding...

Truth is offenses slowly grow their playbook each week. We don't have any top secret formations and plays. :rolleyes: We've probably seen almost every play we have in our playbook up to this point. And we'll see more and more each week as grow the playbook adjusting our blocking schemes to the defenses we play. The important thing is that we mix up the plays we have well and keep them guessing. I think KW has done a very good job of that thus far. Much ... much better than Long ever did.

This is a big game. If we win, think we have a very real chance of going to a BCS bowl. I'm looking forward to seeing it. But I don't expect to see super-top-secret plays that WOW me. ;)

:rolleyes: So, by your theory, we don't have any plays for the opening snap of the first game.

I'm sure there is a little of both going on. As Wilson sees potential, he'll create plays to take advantage of that potential. But to think we don't have a book full of plays when we start the season is ignorant.

Plays will change, the playbook will grow. But I'm sure we have some things held back for that special occasion.

landrun
9/13/2006, 11:24 AM
:rolleyes: So, by your theory, we don't have any plays for the opening snap of the first game.

... But to think we don't have a book full of plays when we start the season is ignorant. ...

mmmmm...... no. :cool:

I'm sure Wilson has a whole lot of plays this team will never run. You start with a base set of plays and grow from there. We don't have a selection of top-secret plays reserved for later. We are seeing the playbook and it grows each week.