PDA

View Full Version : The Whorns, Mack, and the UT Fans

cobrapilot
9/10/2006, 11:49 AM
Was at the mismatch last night. Ohio State maybe #1, but the Whorns certainly arent #2. They are probably not a top 10 team at this point.

By mid second quarter, the fans were all over Mack, and Greg, also wanting Jevon rather than Colt the Dolt.

The fans were totally out of the game, the magic is gone and it is back to the usual Mack, Greg Davis offense.

The surprize to me was the defense. The secondary looked like it was lost all night, many times not even covering Gonzales. The Ginn touchdown right before the half was a play everyone in the stands saw coming.

In My opiionTexas is a 3 loss team before they lose in the Cotton Bowl or the Holiday Bowl

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/10/2006, 11:57 AM
Heard the game tickets were really hard to come by!!!

cobrapilot
9/10/2006, 11:59 AM
cheapest price for tics yesterday was around $400 each. I heard of some going for as much as $4,000 each. Bet the UT fans who paid a premium are sick as dogs today

Rogue
9/10/2006, 12:10 PM
Let me try to shed a tear.
Nope, can't.

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 12:13 PM
TEXASSSSS......

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/10/2006, 12:14 PM
I was suprised by the secondary play also.

:mack:

Flagstaffsooner
9/10/2006, 12:19 PM
TEXASSSSS......
SUUUUUUUUUCKS!:D

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 12:19 PM
SUUUUUUUUUCKS!:D
thank you. i was waiting for someone to hurry up and come around:D

Flagstaffsooner
9/10/2006, 12:20 PM
thank you. i was waiting for someone to hurry up and come around:DAlways around to do the right thingie.:D

85sooners
9/10/2006, 12:23 PM
booo hooo hahahaha

cobrapilot
9/10/2006, 04:36 PM
yeah TEXAS really does Suck!!!! they always have and always will

boomrsoonr
9/10/2006, 04:42 PM
Oh boy. I'm gonna get blasted for this.

I thought Texas did a pretty good job against the #1 team in the country. 24-7 is not a blowout. Remember, they've got a rookie QB too. Were they good enough to be #2? No way. Just having McCoy as the QB should have dropped them several places, like they did OU when we lost Bomar.

I still think they're a team that is going to give us problems at the RRS. If we beat them, then I'll gladly join the "they're not a top 10 team" crowd. Right now, I'm still concerned about them.

But no matter what, they still SUCK! ;)

sooner4life
9/10/2006, 04:49 PM
I was imoressed with Ohio State, with the exception of there run defense, I think that is a very weak point, not real sure if they are the #1 team. I do know it isn't Suxa$$. I think our run D is better. Flame away.

OKC-SLC
9/10/2006, 05:27 PM
I actually came away thinking that I could live with Smith winning the trophy over AD if this is how he plays. I would kill Quinn if he wins it, but Smith stepped up big on a big stage.

Ohio State is the best team I've seen play this year.

SoonerBlonde87
9/10/2006, 05:30 PM
I actually came away thinking that I could live with Smith winning the trophy over AD if this is how he plays. I would kill Quinn if he wins it, but Smith stepped up big on a big stage.

Ohio State does seem to know what they are doing... :-)

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 05:31 PM

i really have to agree with you. i would pretty much love to see anyone win the heisman as long as he meets 3 standards:

1)He doesn't attend the University of Southern California.

2)He doesn't attend Notre Dame.

3)He doesn't attend Texass

josh09
9/10/2006, 05:31 PM
Heard the game tickets were really hard to come by!!!

LOL!

josh09
9/10/2006, 05:32 PM
ya, you could tell from the look on macks face during the fourth quarter that he was thinking: Jeez where is Vince, i called for him like 3 quarters ago!"

Statalyzer
9/11/2006, 02:20 AM
By mid second quarter, the fans were. . . .wanting Jevon rather than Colt

Where were you sitting? I didn't hear this from a single person even after the INT?

TexasLidig8r
9/11/2006, 08:55 AM
Was at the mismatch last night. Ohio State maybe #1, but the Whorns certainly arent #2. They are probably not a top 10 team at this point.

By mid second quarter, the fans were all over Mack, and Greg, also wanting Jevon rather than Colt the Dolt.

The fans were totally out of the game, the magic is gone and it is back to the usual Mack, Greg Davis offense.

The surprize to me was the defense. The secondary looked like it was lost all night, many times not even covering Gonzales. The Ginn touchdown right before the half was a play everyone in the stands saw coming.

In My opiionTexas is a 3 loss team before they lose in the Cotton Bowl or the Holiday Bowl

Mostly smack but some legitimate points.

If the fans you heard were all over Colt and Mack, then you must have been on the drunken student section. All the alums around me and who I talked to after the game didn't even mention that.

The offense has been necessarily simplified.. McCoy is very young and green.. as such, he doesn't have the experience to go through a lot of reads or to audible multiple times in a game.. unfortunately for Texas, that means more simplified pass routes and play calling. You have to play to your talents and strengths.

Having said that, some of the play calling was suspect. Texas ran the ball extremely well, which was surprising since the OSU defense was supposed to be on the defensive line. Granted, they made adjustments and pinched their safeties up more but still, we simply did not take advantage of the opportunies presented.

"Mismatch" objectively speaking is hardly accurate. Are you saying mismatch if Texas does not fumble on the 1 yard line and scores the next play? That's a 14 point swing. A missed 45 yard field goal and it's a nailbiter. Even with that though, Texas in all likelihood still loses that game because....

The defense did not show up. The pass rush was for the most part non-existent. The blitz packages were used very infrequently. OSU moved Gonzales (No. 11) around from flanker, to slot, to wide out. The DB's looked out of place and Chizik got outcoached.

Texas very well could end up 9 - 3 and in the Holiday or Cotton Bowl. If the defense doesn't sack up and if Colt doesn't grow up in a hurry, 9 -3 could be very possible.

colleyvillesooner
9/11/2006, 09:11 AM

If the fans you heard were all over Colt and Mack, then you must have been on the drunken student section. All the alums around me and who I talked to after the game didn't even mention that.

The offense has been necessarily simplified.. McCoy is very young and green.. as such, he doesn't have the experience to go through a lot of reads or to audible multiple times in a game.. unfortunately for Texas, that means more simplified pass routes and play calling. You have to play to your talents and strengths.

Having said that, some of the play calling was suspect. Texas ran the ball extremely well, which was surprising since the OSU defense was supposed to be on the defensive line. Granted, they made adjustments and pinched their safeties up more but still, we simply did not take advantage of the opportunies presented.

"Mismatch" objectively speaking is hardly accurate. Are you saying mismatch if Texas does not fumble on the 1 yard line and scores the next play? That's a 14 point swing. A missed 45 yard field goal and it's a nailbiter. Even with that though, Texas in all likelihood still loses that game because....

The defense did not show up. The pass rush was for the most part non-existent. The blitz packages were used very infrequently. OSU moved Gonzales (No. 11) around from flanker, to slot, to wide out. The DB's looked out of place and Chizik got outcoached.

Texas very well could end up 9 - 3 and in the Holiday or Cotton Bowl. If the defense doesn't sack up and if Colt doesn't grow up in a hurry, 9 -3 could be very possible.

I think the game in Dallas will be the litmus test for both these teams as to how the season will play out.

We'll either be undefeated, or trying to bounce back from a loss at Oregon, and the whorns won't want to notch loss 2 to their belts the first week of October.

Hatfield
9/11/2006, 09:11 AM
the refs "gave" tex their only td after the bs "roughing" the qb call.

just saying

GDC
9/11/2006, 09:25 AM
Texcuses, Texcuses....:texan: Hook 'em :twinkies: :mack:

Taxman71
9/11/2006, 09:28 AM
Was the missed 45 yard FG by the whorns any less significant than Ohio St's miss in the first quarter when the would have gone up 10-0?

Ohio St. got better during the game, the whorns did not = mismatch.

picasso
9/11/2006, 09:34 AM
I was confused why Texas would run up and down the field and then throw the ball in the red zone. it was brilliant football strategy no doubt.
Texas is still the best team in our conference right now. They just lost to a better team. I'm of the opnion they would have lost last year if the same osu QB had played.

TexasLidig8r
9/11/2006, 09:39 AM
Texcuses, Texcuses....:texan: Hook 'em :twinkies: :mack:

Hi GDC.. I see you have assumed your other identity.

As an aside... The Ohio State fans make Sooner fans look like sophisticated urbanites!

First. if you are an OSU male fan, no matter your age, profession, socio-economic status.. you MUST wear an OSU jersey to the game with either jorts, cargo shorts and flip flops. Second, you have to have a necklace of "buckeyes" around your neck. Third, facial hair (for both men and women) are required.

If you are an OSU female fan, see the above remark about clothing, NO make up, about 20 lbs overweight at least, with a patch of hair showing on their upper back and well... just not a pretty sight. A bit brusque.

Oh.. of course, you have to burn down your campus after a big football win too. :D

picasso
9/11/2006, 09:45 AM
wow Liddy, I'm sure that was in stark contrast to the average UT fan wearing desinger blue janes and cowboy boots or starched shirt with quick khakis and loafers.

boomrsoonr
9/11/2006, 09:56 AM
Hey Lid, you need to change your sig to...............

National Champions Defer to No One Except tOSU... *to be updated later in the season*

TexasLidig8r
9/11/2006, 10:03 AM
wow Liddy, I'm sure that was in stark contrast to the average UT fan wearing desinger blue janes and cowboy boots or starched shirt with quick khakis and loafers.

lol.. yeah.. pretty much.

Actually, the OSU alums I talked to were very magnanimous and to a person, said how they couldn't believe how well they were treated after the game.

GDC
9/11/2006, 10:21 AM
Hi GDC.. I see you have assumed your other identity.

Yes, you must love seeing the "UT" in the middle.

My future Aggie m-i-l loved it that "OSU" was whipping up on Texas, but she couldn't figure out why they changed their uniforms from orange and white to silver and red.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/11/2006, 10:23 AM
I was confused why Texas would run up and down the field and then throw the ball in the red zone. it was brilliant football strategy no doubt.
Texas is still the best team in our conference right now. They just lost to a better team. I'm of the opnion they would have lost last year if the same osu QB had played.The tOSU loss to tx last year was Tressel's fault for not keeping Troy Smith in the game. Simple as that.

OUMallen
9/11/2006, 10:35 AM
Oh boy. I'm gonna get blasted for this.

I thought Texas did a pretty good job against the #1 team in the country. 24-7 is not a blowout. Remember, they've got a rookie QB too. Were they good enough to be #2? No way. Just having McCoy as the QB should have dropped them several places, like they did OU when we lost Bomar.

I still think they're a team that is going to give us problems at the RRS. If we beat them, then I'll gladly join the "they're not a top 10 team" crowd. Right now, I'm still concerned about them.

But no matter what, they still SUCK! ;)

It's not so much that it was a blowout than it was just that OSU seemed to control almost every facet of the game. You KNEW UT wouldn't get it going, for some reason.

TexasLidig8r
9/11/2006, 10:48 AM
Yes, you must love seeing the "UT" in the middle.

My future Aggie m-i-l loved it that "OSU" was whipping up on Texas, but she couldn't figure out why they changed their uniforms from orange and white to silver and red.

lol. actually, I thought of your smiling face in Austin this weekend. We had just gotten through with our late night dinner, got the car, had ESPN on Sirius. .. in time to hear UTEP tie the game with less than a minute left.

I thought, "Hell, I bet GDC is beside himself... My Texas team got our arses handed to us and his UT team is about to beat his third team's hated nemesis, sand aggy." :D

r5TPsooner
9/11/2006, 10:54 AM
I thought that OSU did pretty much what they wanted to do offensively. The score could have been worse if not for some dropped balls and penalties. UT was doing OK offensively until they fumbled the ball down around the goal line. That seemed to take the entire stadium out of the game. OSU is very well coached and will be tough to beat this year. Iowa might have an outside chance.

Pretty boring game in the 2nd half as UT pretty much Macked it the rest of the game.

NormanPride
9/11/2006, 10:59 AM
This game showed exactly what I thought Texas was going to be. Davis' inept playcalling on O. Colt's inability to make plays as a QB, and the Texas' D's loss of their heart and soul at almost every position.

Fun game to watch, really. Smith is a beast.

MiccoMacey
9/11/2006, 11:34 AM

If the fans you heard were all over Colt and Mack, then you must have been on the drunken student section...

Or on any Longhorn board during and after the game. It's running about 75-80 percent against GD. But to a man, they all pulled for Colt and realize he'll get better as he seasons.

"Mismatch" objectively speaking is hardly accurate. Are you saying mismatch if Texas does not fumble on the 1 yard line and scores the next play? That's a 14 point swing. A missed 45 yard field goal and it's a nailbiter.

How is that a 14 point swing? Are you saying that your defense would have all f a sudden been able to stop their offense? I doubt it.

Your offense rushed for the same amount as the RB for Northern Illinois. Congrats. All you proved is that OSU has no rush defense. Which one would figure after losing 9 guys, and about five or six of them to the NFL (I believe five or so is the right number).

OUmillenium
9/11/2006, 11:48 AM
i really have to agree with you. i would pretty much love to see anyone win the heisman as long as he meets 3 standards:

1)He doesn't attend the University of Southern California.

2)He doesn't attend Notre Dame.

3)He doesn't attend Texass

Wow, I've never thought if it that way...I totally agree!
:texan: here this...

2000 63-14
2003 65-13
2006 ?????

TexasLidig8r
9/11/2006, 01:37 PM
How is that a 14 point swing? Are you saying that your defense would have all f a sudden been able to stop their offense? I doubt it.

14 point swing. Texas doesn't fumble and scores. 7 points.

Texas fumbles, OSU returns fumble to the 50 yard line. OSU scores in 4 plays. 7 points.

But for the fumble, OSU does not have the ball at the 50 and momentum has shifted.

Would Texas have won the game had this actually occurred? NO. But, the score would have been more representative.

boomrsoonr
9/11/2006, 02:26 PM
:D Hey Lid, like the new sig. Much more representative. :D

Statalyzer
9/11/2006, 02:55 PM
I was confused why Texas would run up and down the field and then throw the ball in the red zone.

So was I. Our RBs were getting about 6 yards a carry and our passing offense was struggling. Yet we came out in the second half and only gave Selvin and Jamaal half as many carries as they had in the first half. :mad:

ashley
9/11/2006, 03:09 PM
TU is still proably the best team or the 12 and Colt did as well as anyone could expect but he is put in a bad situation. When you run the zone option offense without the QB threat out the back side or counter QB run or draw you no longer run the zone read offense, you run the single wing. The opposition can leave one guy on the backside and now everyone else can chase, as opposed to last year. He does not have much scrambling ability so he cannot run around for five minutes like Young and let the coverage break down and then run or pass. This is a case of their coaches either being hard headed and forcing last year's offense on a kid not equiped to run it or being ignorant and not seeing it. You should expect them to have the good sense to run lots more I behind a great O line and give it to a tremendous I back. If the past rears it's ugly head they will stick with it and beat Rice and San Houston and then think everything will be OK. This is, of course, what we all need to happen.

boomrsoonr
9/11/2006, 03:10 PM
So was I. Our RBs were getting about 6 yards a carry and our passing offense was struggling. Yet we came out in the second half and only gave Selvin and Jamaal half as many carries as they had in the first half. :mad:

I think Greg Davis and Chuck Long went to the same Offensive Coordinator Training.

We no longer have Long. You still have Davis. = Texas will struggle.

Octavian
9/11/2006, 03:24 PM

Yep. I thought GD went back into his shell.

He seemed to take chances (2 straight passes inside the 10 after running down the field??) when he didn't need to and then seemed to lack confidence in McCoy and take chances down the field when he had to after they dropped behind 17-7.

About what I expected...just thought they'd score more than 7.

cobrapilot
9/11/2006, 06:49 PM
Where were you sitting? I didn't hear this from a single person even after the INT?

section 4 row 36 50 yardline in the middle of the biggest contributors. And there were no drunk students there.

These are the guys who make or break a coach these are the guys who got the previous 3 coaches fired

47straight
9/11/2006, 08:46 PM
The blitz packages were used very infrequently.

It seems to me that this has been a hallmark of chizik defenses, where he rarely varies from the base defense, relying on execution and athleticism to get the job done.

IMHO, the Texas D wasn't good enough to have beat USC last year. The O made up for it. I have a sneaking suspicion that Chizik's style has a ceiling, unless of course it evolves. I would want more wizardry in big games.

boomrsoonr
9/11/2006, 08:48 PM
IMHO, the Texas D wasn't good enough to have beat USC last year. The O made up for it.

I definately agree with this! If the new rules on the clock were in place last year, Texas loses that game. (But I still don't like the new rules).

horninokc
9/11/2006, 09:00 PM
I was suprised by the secondary play also.

:mack:

Me, too. I've read some breakdowns of the plays but it comes down to superior play by tOSU and poor play by some of our guys. I also question much of the game strategy by the coaches. tOSU used Guin to isolate Gonzales over and over by clearing out the corner's zone.

Thankfully, Troy Smith, Gonzales and Guin do not play for OU.

boomrsoonr
9/11/2006, 09:13 PM
Thankfully, Troy Smith, Gonzales and Guin do not play for OU.

They got tired of sitting on the bench and transferred to tOSU.