1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 small bunch chopped parsley
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup olive oil for roux
1 pound smoked sausage cut into 1/2 inch slices
32 ounce can stewed tomatoes
10 ounce can diced tomatoes with chilies (Rotel)
1 Beer
5 cups duck broth
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons seasoned salt
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons thyme
2 cups cut okra

Put 1/2 cup olive oil in a skillet and get it very hot. Add the flour slowly while stirring constantly until the roux turns a medium dark brown (10-15 minutes). The roux will burn easily so watch it and stir constantly! Add the sautéed vegetables and the sausage to the roux and sauté 3 more minutes. Transfer the vegetables and sausage to the 10 quart pot and add the stewed tomatoes, tomatoes and chilies, beer, 5 cups of duck broth, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, salt, bay leaves, and thyme and cook 30 minutes. Separate the duck meat from the bones, and add the meat and the okra to the gumbo and cook 1 hour. If the gumbo loses too much moisture, add more beer. Serve over white rice.

Duck Au Poivre

http://www.gildedfork.com/recipes/nov05/magret-canard-poivre.html

Magret de Canard au Poivre

This recipe is courtesy of our friends at Hudson Valley Foie Gras, from whom you can purchase top-quality fresh and smoked magret de canard (duck breast) for this feast:

In France , the term magret refers specifically to the breast of a fattened Moulard duck, while everything else is simply a duck breast. Since 1986, this term has been adopted in the United States . Magret is a bit chewier than regular duck breast because the pectoral muscles of fattened birds become stronger as the liver enlarges. What is lost in tenderness, however, is gained in the flavor the liver imparts to the meat; a richness absent in regular duck meat. Magret is most tender when cooked rare, is allowed to rest after cooking, and is sliced thinly on the bias just before serving.

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 Moulard duck breast (2 sides), separated Common in Eugene, OR
2 tablespoons olive oil
30 whole black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1 cup dry white wine
½ cup brandy
2½ cups veal stock
1 tablespoon red currant jelly
½ cup heavy cream

Preparation

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Score the skin side of the magret almost through to the meat in a tight crisscross pattern. Brush both sides with olive oil. Mix 2/3 of the crushed peppercorns with the salt. Rub the mixture generously over both sides of the magret.

Heat heavy-bottom skillet over low heat. When skillet is hot, place breast skin side down. Brown the magret without turning. Discard any fat throughout the process. Most of the skin side fat should render, until skin is crispy. About 7 minutes.

Turn the magret over. Place skillet with magret into preheated oven for 5 minutes, or until center is rare. Remove from oven. Let rest on a board for 5-7 minutes. For service, slice duck, skin side up on a 45-degree angle, into thin slices.

While magret is resting, discard any fat remaining in the skillet. Return it to the stove over high heat. Add white wine and brandy. Reduce by 2/3, then add the veal stock and remaining crushed peppercorns. Reduce again until the sauce has a syrupy consistency.

Strain sauce through a fine sieve or cheesecloth. Return to low heat. Add red currant jelly and heavy cream, but don't allow to boil.

Service

Ladle 2 tablespoons of sauce onto the center of each plate. Arrange magret slices in a fan shape over the sauce.

Ike
9/10/2006, 12:09 PM
Thai Curry Duck

~ 1 medium size duck, cooked
~ 2 large potatoes, cubed
~ butter
~ 1/2 lb mushrooms, quartered
~ 1/4 lb small shallots, sliced in halves
~ 2 cloves garlic, chopped
~ pepper
~ 1 package (3 oz) Thai red curry paste
~ 1 package (quart/liter) coconut milk/cream or two standard size tins
~ 1 oz coconut sugar (if not available, substitute honey)
~ 1 oz fish sauce
~ 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh sweet basil

Remove the duck meat from bone. Cut into bite size pieces. Remove as much fat and skin as possible. If the skin is crispy and adhered to meat with a little fat, try to keep it intact. Keep the fat and fatty skin. It will be used for flaming the curry. Place in refrigerator.

Boil the potatoes to 80 % done. Drain and set aside.

In a skillet, saute the mushrooms, shallots and garlic. Add pepper to taste. Set aside.

In a skillet, add the duck fat and fatty skin to create oil. Remove the skin.

Add the curry paste and fry at medium heat, add additional oil if required.

Before the curry starts to burn add a few ounces of the coconut milk. Let it thicken a bit. Keep stirring.

After a few minutes you will see the red oils slowly separating. Stir in the coconut sugar/honey.

Stir in the the fish sauce. Once it starts to thicken again, add the remaining milk. Reserve an ounce or two.

Add the mushrooms, shallots and potatoes. Bring it to a low simmer for 10 minutes with the lid off.

Five minutes before serving add the sweet basil, duck and the rest of the milk. Mix well and cover.

Served on rice accompanied by a cold beer,

Flagstaffsooner
9/10/2006, 12:34 PM
Too bad they dont have the Samoan ape anymore. Really adds a Polynesian flavor to the menu.

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 12:35 PM
Too bad they dont have the Samoan ape anymore. Really adds a Polynesian flavor to the menu.
yea, i heard that made the dish a lot better. it's just gonna be a little bland this year

soonercody
9/10/2006, 03:44 PM
Smoked Duck!!!

josh09
9/10/2006, 03:47 PM
A flock of my favorites:
Duck Au Poivre
Canard a l'Orange
Peking Duck
Duck Soup
Duck egg omelets
Pickled Duck
Roasted Duck
Baked Duck
Fried Duck
Stewed Duck
and, yes, Duck Gumbo

:pop: :twinkies:

Duck Gumbo
http://www.arkansasduckhunter.com/duckgumbo.html
4 Ducks
1 bag crab boil
3 tablespoons olive oil to sauté vegetables
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 small bunch chopped parsley
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup olive oil for roux
1 pound smoked sausage cut into 1/2 inch slices
32 ounce can stewed tomatoes
10 ounce can diced tomatoes with chilies (Rotel)
1 Beer
5 cups duck broth
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons seasoned salt
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons thyme
2 cups cut okra

Put 1/2 cup olive oil in a skillet and get it very hot. Add the flour slowly while stirring constantly until the roux turns a medium dark brown (10-15 minutes). The roux will burn easily so watch it and stir constantly! Add the sautéed vegetables and the sausage to the roux and sauté 3 more minutes. Transfer the vegetables and sausage to the 10 quart pot and add the stewed tomatoes, tomatoes and chilies, beer, 5 cups of duck broth, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, salt, bay leaves, and thyme and cook 30 minutes. Separate the duck meat from the bones, and add the meat and the okra to the gumbo and cook 1 hour. If the gumbo loses too much moisture, add more beer. Serve over white rice.

Duck Au Poivre

http://www.gildedfork.com/recipes/nov05/magret-canard-poivre.html

Magret de Canard au Poivre

This recipe is courtesy of our friends at Hudson Valley Foie Gras, from whom you can purchase top-quality fresh and smoked magret de canard (duck breast) for this feast:

In France , the term magret refers specifically to the breast of a fattened Moulard duck, while everything else is simply a duck breast. Since 1986, this term has been adopted in the United States . Magret is a bit chewier than regular duck breast because the pectoral muscles of fattened birds become stronger as the liver enlarges. What is lost in tenderness, however, is gained in the flavor the liver imparts to the meat; a richness absent in regular duck meat. Magret is most tender when cooked rare, is allowed to rest after cooking, and is sliced thinly on the bias just before serving.

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 Moulard duck breast (2 sides), separated Common in Eugene, OR
2 tablespoons olive oil
30 whole black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1 cup dry white wine
½ cup brandy
2½ cups veal stock
1 tablespoon red currant jelly
½ cup heavy cream

Preparation

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Score the skin side of the magret almost through to the meat in a tight crisscross pattern. Brush both sides with olive oil. Mix 2/3 of the crushed peppercorns with the salt. Rub the mixture generously over both sides of the magret.

Heat heavy-bottom skillet over low heat. When skillet is hot, place breast skin side down. Brown the magret without turning. Discard any fat throughout the process. Most of the skin side fat should render, until skin is crispy. About 7 minutes.

Turn the magret over. Place skillet with magret into preheated oven for 5 minutes, or until center is rare. Remove from oven. Let rest on a board for 5-7 minutes. For service, slice duck, skin side up on a 45-degree angle, into thin slices.

While magret is resting, discard any fat remaining in the skillet. Return it to the stove over high heat. Add white wine and brandy. Reduce by 2/3, then add the veal stock and remaining crushed peppercorns. Reduce again until the sauce has a syrupy consistency.

Strain sauce through a fine sieve or cheesecloth. Return to low heat. Add red currant jelly and heavy cream, but don't allow to boil.

Service

Ladle 2 tablespoons of sauce onto the center of each plate. Arrange magret slices in a fan shape over the sauce.

what if we did ALL of those together, and did that to the ducks on saturday. :D

Oregon Penguin
9/10/2006, 03:54 PM
You people make me sick. :mad:

josh09
9/10/2006, 05:22 PM
lol, all the people from the holiday bowl are goin to start coming back

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 05:35 PM
then leave. and why is this guy still in the green????

soonercody
9/10/2006, 05:37 PM
I think he's actually being a tongue-in-cheek kind of good sport.

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 05:40 PM
I think he's actually being a tongue-in-cheek kind of good sport.

You Sooners are so smug! You people have no idea how terrible your team is!

Of course we got cheated in the Holiday Bowl! Every close call went the Sooners' way! Your O-line doesn't know how to block without holding! I mean, your guys were outright tackling our D-linemen! If you couldn't see that, you are blind!!!!!!

What's with that damn schooner of yours???? That thing was tearing up the field!!!!! No other mascot in the NCAA destroys the field! Not fair!
nah!!!

SoonerBlonde87
9/10/2006, 05:42 PM

I agree.. Then leave? It's not that hard to do!

OUHOMER
9/10/2006, 05:57 PM

Ducks are greasy and make me sick:mad:

SoonerBlonde87
9/10/2006, 05:58 PM
Ducks are greasy and make me sick:mad:

I can't say that Duck makes me sick because I have never had it before.. :-D

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 06:00 PM
I can't say that Duck makes me sick because I have never had it before.. :-D
neither have i. does it taste like chicken???

StoopTroup
9/10/2006, 06:00 PM
Ducks are descendants of pigs.

Very filthy animals.

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 06:01 PM
Ducks are descendants of pigs.

Very filthy animals.
dang, i never heard that one before:confused:

StoopTroup
9/10/2006, 06:02 PM
It's true...

Look it up.

SoonerBlonde87
9/10/2006, 06:03 PM
neither have i. does it taste like chicken???

Hmm not sure..

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 06:04 PM
Hmm not sure..
i'm sure it does. everything does

SoonerBlonde87
9/10/2006, 06:07 PM
Mmm.. .. Not sure on that one.. I heard that Squid doesn't taste like Chicken... and people usually tell me that it does

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 06:08 PM
Mmm.. .. Not sure on that one.. I heard that Squid doesn't taste like Chicken... and people usually tell me that it does
i wouldn't know. i've never tried it and probably never will

soonervet
9/10/2006, 08:54 PM
Good job guys, youve hijacked this thread without trying.

GottaHavePride
9/10/2006, 09:21 PM
No kidding! I'll try anyway. I'll thread-jack a thread-jacking-in-progress!

Duck Soup
Don't look now, but there's one man too many in this room, and I think it's you.

GottaHavePride
9/10/2006, 09:23 PM
I could dance with you until the cows come home. On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows till you come home.

GottaHavePride
9/10/2006, 09:23 PM
Go, and never darken my towels again!