PDA

View Full Version : our defense has given up almost 700 yds and 44 points in two games

usmc-sooner
9/10/2006, 10:17 AM
The D has got to get better. That being said they seemed to clamp down the second half and once the inserted Holmes and Carter the backfield seemed much better. The D came up with huge effort on the fumble recovery inside the 10.

I'm really concerned about the D-line.

On the bright side Kelly, Thompson, Iglesias, AD all looked great.

This is pretty much exact opposite of what I expected. I expected the offense to struggle and the defense to dominate. I'm a little concerned with the O line play as well but it's better than what we started with last year.

Hatfield
9/10/2006, 10:24 AM
if i see one more attempt at tackling with the shoulder and not the arms i am going to scream.

as the season goes on ena is only going to get more consistent and that is going to be a very dangerous thing. can't wait.

usmc-sooner
9/10/2006, 10:31 AM
if i see one more attempt at tackling with the shoulder and not the arms i am going to scream.

as the season goes on ena is only going to get more consistent and that is going to be a very dangerous thing. can't wait.

I agree, I'm still waiting for more of the ENA running game but I guess were saving it.

MiccoMacey
9/10/2006, 10:38 AM
Not trying to defend the defense too much, but we held their first string offense to one TD until they scored a meaningless one at the end. I didn't like giving up all those yards or the TD either, but I have to believe they don't move the ball on us like that if the game's closer or we stick to what we were doing before the QB switch.

Having said that, we will get our first test next week as we face Oregon. Their OLine is intact, and if thery're able to push our DLine off the line like UW did, we'll be in for a long day.

stoopified
9/10/2006, 10:41 AM
Not thta it contradicts your point but we have only given up 37 points.We beat UAB 24-17 and UW 37-20. When I went to school 20+17=37.However you are correct we MUST improve.Part of that process is finding out who our best 11 on D are.Jason Carter came in for Clayton,Holmes for Wolfe and Nic Harris got more time as Nickel-backer. These moves seem to help noticeably.If inconsistency continues at DT you could see McCoy come out of redshirt.

Venables and Wright along with Shipp,Wilson are excellent D coaches not to mention Bob is known as a master of D.We have the coaching AND the yalent so the only questions are how fast and how much will we improve?

usmc-sooner
9/10/2006, 10:44 AM
I added an extra 7 points because I ran past D.J. Wolfe after the game for a score. :D

colleyvillesooner
9/10/2006, 10:45 AM

Maybe they need to tell them "There's only one...Brandon Everage."

For a reason. ;)

colleyvillesooner
9/10/2006, 10:45 AM
I added an extra 7 points because I ran past D.J. Wolfe after the game for a score. :D

Looks like now that Bassey is gone, we've found the new whipping boy. :(

Big Red Ron
9/10/2006, 10:50 AM
Looks like now that Bassey is gone, we've found the new whipping boy. :(Dude's been torched by UW and Freakin UAB. He should be! Bob called him out last week and yanked his *** after he was burned deep again this week.

MiccoMacey
9/10/2006, 10:52 AM
Mar-Cus Wal-ker

Clap clap clap clap clap

Mar-Cus Wal-ker

Clap clap clap clap clap

Soonerwolf
9/10/2006, 10:52 AM

Maybe Kevin Wilson should take over motivating the Defense like he did AD last week. On ESPN.COM highlights of the OU game, Paul Maguire could not say enough good things about AD stepping up his overall game (pass blocking and being the focus of UDub's defense whether he was featured in the play or not).

If Venables is unable to get the defense to stop reading how good they are and get them to execute, then Coach Stoops or someone needs to have a tirade that will wake up the defense.

I hope Holmes starts over Wolfe this week (UO can't be stupid enough to pass to Smith's side) and if the senior LBs cannot begin to play up to expectations, then shouldn't the younger backers get some more playing time? Can they do any worse?

UO has this freak running back that will make it a long day if the D cannot wrap up and finish thier tackles - Where is the Pepto Bismol martini when you need one?

GO OU !!!!! BOOMER SOONER !!!!! Looking forward to some fresh hunted duck saturday evening . . .

tulsaoilerfan
9/10/2006, 10:57 AM
We have to get better play out of the Defensive tackles; so far they have been pretty pathetic in getting beat up the gut, and there has been almost no pass rush from inside or the ends so far

Egeo
9/10/2006, 10:58 AM
the defense needs to improve, but giving up 18 points per game isnt that bad, historically

usmc-sooner
9/10/2006, 10:59 AM
Looks like now that Bassey is gone, we've found the new whipping boy. :(

it was a freakin joke, Geeze maybe we can just bring Blake back and you two can hug em all the time.
:rolleyes:

stoopified
9/10/2006, 10:59 AM
I added an extra 7 points because I ran past D.J. Wolfe after the game for a score. :DThat is truely sad but the way he has been playing proably all too likely..

Scott D
9/10/2006, 11:24 AM
Mar-Cus Wal-ker

Clap clap clap clap clap

Mar-Cus Wal-ker

Clap clap clap clap clap

give these vultures a week, they'll slam him too.

usmc-sooner
9/10/2006, 11:27 AM
give these vultures a week, they'll slam him too.

you're right

what was anyone thinking. D.J. shut everyone down. Has never been burned once.

You forget the golden rule don't ever criticize a cornerback. What the hell was Bob thinking when he pulled him. That evil vulture. :D

Scott D
9/10/2006, 11:29 AM
you're right

what was anyone thinking. D.J. shut everyone down. Has never been burned once.

You forget the golden rule don't ever criticize I cornerback. What the hell was Bob thinking when he pulled him. That evil vulture. :D

I'd hardly call that 'other pathetic thread' criticizing...why not just ask him to transfer to another conference in that one.

KaiserSooner
9/10/2006, 11:34 AM
Well, I agree that the D is frustrating to watch.

This is a tad off topic, but...big picture-wise....does anyone else get the feeling that OU is sliding into several seasons worth of mediocrity? Both Wilkinson and Switzer experienced this and I'm wondering if last season is the beginning of Stoops'.

usmc-sooner
9/10/2006, 11:35 AM
I'd hardly call that 'other pathetic thread' criticizing...why not just ask him to transfer to another conference in that one.

it's OU football Scott, the expectations are high and they should be, and if you have a few bad games your going to get criticized.

And for the record he said switch positions, not conferences, which isn't that bad since it was his original position. Do you think Simmons felt like the coaches asked him to transfer when they moved him from DL to OL, how about Joseph and Brown. Get a grip

DucksWin
9/10/2006, 11:36 AM
44 pts and 700 yards is how much Oklahoma gives up to Oregon next weekend.

usmc-sooner
9/10/2006, 11:41 AM

Hey duck were having some infighting here, so we don't have time for your retard talk. Sorry maybe later, window licker

MiccoMacey
9/10/2006, 12:17 PM

Historically, I don't think UO has gained 44 points and/or 700 yards in all of our games COMBINED.

I doubt they reach that plateau next week.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/10/2006, 12:23 PM
AD will get 223 yards rushing and ENA will throw for 275 in a blowout win

TMcGee86
9/10/2006, 12:24 PM
I agree, I'm still waiting for more of the ENA running game but I guess were saving it.

Man, me too. I hope we are saving it, because it would really add a demension to our O that I think would do wonders for both the passing game and AD's running game.

just mho of course.

Scott D
9/10/2006, 03:29 PM
it's OU football Scott, the expectations are high and they should be, and if you have a few bad games your going to get criticized.

And for the record he said switch positions, not conferences, which isn't that bad since it was his original position. Do you think Simmons felt like the coaches asked him to transfer when they moved him from DL to OL, how about Joseph and Brown. Get a grip

I wasn't aware that particular thread starter was the coaching staff, by all means go about business as normal.

usmc-sooner
9/10/2006, 06:28 PM
I wasn't aware that particular thread starter was the coaching staff, by all means go about business as normal.

so if BRR suggests it, then it is bashing? But when a coach suggests it's brilliant. BTW weren't you fairly critical of the coaching staff regarding this issue? Are you a part of the coaching staff?

No, didn't think so.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/10/2006, 08:04 PM
It must be hard to be a cornerback seeing as all of their backups are better than them...Stoops evil plan of not playing better players is finally coming to ripening state ;)

TXBOOMER
9/10/2006, 10:03 PM
Linebackers, DT's and DB's have been mediocre in both games the DE's played much better yesterday. So far, the O is probably a little better than I expected but the Defense is not even in the ballpark of what I expected.

Egeo
9/10/2006, 10:24 PM

thats not how it seemed to me
BRR wasnt constructive at all

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.
Dale Carnegie

Texas Golfer
9/10/2006, 11:10 PM

Keep dreaming, Pigeon.

Texas Golfer
9/10/2006, 11:12 PM
The offense is playing about as well as I expected they would. But the defense, touted by many pundants as the best defense in the country, has been mediocre, at best.

1991SOONER
9/10/2006, 11:14 PM

nudge nudge....wake up!! your dreaming again!! :D

1991SOONER
9/10/2006, 11:16 PM
The offense is playing about as well as I expected they would. But the defense, touted by many pundants as the best defense in the country, has been mediocre, at best.

We are playing possum. shhh. don't tell anyone.

rainiersooner
9/10/2006, 11:57 PM
Well DJ did get pulled so I don't think those of us criticizing his play are that far off the mark. No one's saying he's a punk who deserves to get his scholarship yanked. But cornerback has been our weakness since the Orange Bowl and whether that's Marcus Walker or DJ Wolfe, I for one am glad to see someone else (Lendy Holmes) being given a shot at shoring things up.

douxpaysan
9/11/2006, 12:13 AM
After two games we have the 91st ranked rushing defense, the dbs are being asked to make a lot of tackles. Even worse, we are ranked 111th in turn-over margin. You think the ducks should try to run? They probably won't be hit hard enough to fumble anyway. You can't make DJ the scapegoat for everything.

soonerfootball
9/11/2006, 12:31 AM
Not thta it contradicts your point but we have only given up 37 points.We beat UAB 24-17 and UW 37-20. When I went to school 20+17=37.However you are correct we MUST improve.Part of that process is finding out who our best 11 on D are.Jason Carter came in for Clayton,Holmes for Wolfe and Nic Harris got more time as Nickel-backer. These moves seem to help noticeably.If inconsistency continues at DT you could see McCoy come out of redshirt.

Venables and Wright along with Shipp,Wilson are excellent D coaches not to mention Bob is known as a master of D.We have the coaching AND the yalent so the only questions are how fast and how much will we improve?
Why haven't they pulled McCoy's redshirt? It doesn't make since I say they do it now before Oregon. Otherwise they will be in some trouble. Oregon's strong point is there O-line. And McCoy is to much of a stud to not play. They need to lower there pride and realize the d-line is struggling McCoy could add that extra boost and right now it seems to be the weekest link of the d...it all starts up front.