PDA

View Full Version : If OU can get just a little push from the OL...

Frozen Sooner
9/10/2006, 12:12 AM
Next week, Adrian Peterson is going to monkey-**** Oregon into Bolivian. Their DL is getting bowed up the middle.

Snrfn4ever08
9/10/2006, 12:13 AM
we have to the stupid false start penalties before we can get a push. yes, that means you DUKE ROBINSON:mad:

Blue
I agree. We may finally get that 200+ game.

How spoiled is that? I love it.

Mjcpr
It seemed like AD had room everywhere he went except up the middle today. Hopefully, the C and G's will make some room next week.

Blue
9/10/2006, 12:14 AM
we have to the stupid false start penalties before we can get a push. yes, that means you DUKE ROBINSON:mad:

Duke, a kid from Atlanta, Ga, has given 110% to this team from Oklahoma.

Thank you O-line for not being as pitiful as you should be considering your experience and depth.

colleyvillesooner
9/10/2006, 12:15 AM
we have to the stupid false start penalties before we can get a push. yes, that means you DUKE ROBINSON and Senior Chris Messner.:mad:

fixed

And Blue is right. The line could be WAY worse.

TMcGee86
9/10/2006, 12:33 AM
fixed

And Blue is right. The line could be WAY worse.

EXACTLY! Man I was pizzed at Messner today. Beat numerous times and had to resort to holding. I kept thinking "this is our one senior???"

Jello Biafra
9/10/2006, 12:44 AM
EXACTLY! Man I was pizzed at Messner today. Beat numerous times and had to resort to holding. I kept thinking "this is our one senior???"

in all fairness, it wasn't exactly his fault. why a blocking back wasn't in there helping out of pass plays is beyond me. you cannot and will not in most cases be able to block a 215 lb dend when you weigh 300+ nearly impossible. faaaar too much speed.

TMcGee86
9/10/2006, 12:48 AM
in all fairness, it wasn't exactly his fault. why a blocking back wasn't in there helping out of pass plays is beyond me. you cannot and will not in most cases be able to block a 215 lb dend when you weigh 300+ nearly impossible. faaaar too much speed.

Yeah, that was definitely the problem, he was speed rushed and beat to the outside every time. A rb back would have helped I agree. Still frustrating to see him beat like that.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/10/2006, 12:49 AM
That's why God gave offensive tackles arms and hands. To extend and redirect speedy defensive ends. In other words, it can be done, will be done often, and should've been done.

It's a lot of why footwork and position are so important for offensive tackles. They aren't just 300+ pound lumps out there. If a narrow body on the end is puttin' on a clinic, sure it's part speed. But it's 75% poor technique.

Jello Biafra
9/10/2006, 12:56 AM
That's why God gave offensive tackles arms and hands. To extend and redirect speedy defensive ends. In other words, it can be done, will be done often, and should've been done.

It's a lot of why footwork and position are so important for offensive tackles. They aren't just 300+ pound lumps out there. If a narrow body on the end is puttin' on a clinic, sure it's part speed. But it's 75% poor technique.

unfortunately, wes sims has been gone from norman for a couple of years now and messner is our best option sooooo do you help him out with a running back or do you continue to let him get beat and have our qb hit a linebacker in the numbers ?

i know the technique and it is typically not done often unless you are talking pros.....

Tulsa_Fireman
9/10/2006, 01:07 AM
It's not A technique, it's HIS technique. Poor guy is standin' in a bucket of mud. From what I've noticed so far, it's a few things. No chop in his footwork. He gets in his heels. He gets his shoulders rotated too easy at the point of contact. He doesn't get good pop from his hips on contact, and when he does get arm extension, he's got good placement and a strong push, but he doesn't have the lower half to back it up because of those things I just mentioned.

That's technique. And they teach that stuff in high school. And I'd bet my pension the coaching staff has hit him with it since he's been on squad. Does it mean he's lost and will suck for eternity? Heck no. All of that I've seen and am seeing (watchin' film as I type this) is a coachable fix. And it's 7 minutes left in the third, so it may just be a funk. But he was doin' it in the UAB game too, so let's hope it gets right and that Sooner front five starts whackin' the hats the way they should.

OKC-SLC
9/10/2006, 01:15 AM
Next week, Adrian Peterson is going to monkey-**** Oregon into Bolivian. Their DL is getting bowed up the middle.
Why do you hate South Americans?

ashley
9/10/2006, 09:02 AM
We still have big o-line and d-line problems.

Soonerwolf
9/10/2006, 11:22 AM
Any feedback on the progress of the fullbacks? JD was such a luxury for AD as he would literally blow open holes last year when our o-line was worse. Can Clapp or Zaslaw develop into a road-clearing machine like Runnels eventually?

Egeo
9/10/2006, 11:22 AM
ol is facing loaded boxes

and the dt's got doubleteamed regularly against uab ... dont know about how washington played them until i can watch it again

Tulsa_Fireman
9/10/2006, 01:09 PM
From what I saw Egeo, Washington did their homework for the front five.

Lots of read looks. And when they weren't running zone reads to the tailback, they were pullin'. Lots of that gets a read/react defensive line moving to fight through blocks, which puts offensive hats between the D Line and the ballcarrier. Didja notice how even the gutshot 50 yarder at the beginning of the game had the line of scrimmage sliding laterally? That's an O-Line stepping for position at contact, the D-Line addressing and fighting through the hat, which in turn, puts the holes to the backside, the meat n' taters of the zone read. Add a pull or fold every once in awhile to pop the backside pinch from contain, and you got linebackers in space with some open green for the tailback.

All in all, the defense adjusted well. And Lord have mercy, those boys flat out pinned their ears back and brought it once they got things straight. Which is why, through all the doom and gloom, I'm a firm believer in this defense's capability. I called it in another thread that we'd see it shine up against UW. And I think we did. I'd put that 2nd half defense against anyone. They were hungry, had hate in their hearts, and just flat blew up the line of scrimmage. Sexy, by all counts, my friend.

Jello Biafra
9/10/2006, 02:04 PM
From what I saw Egeo, Washington did their homework for the front five.

Lots of read looks. And when they weren't running zone reads to the tailback, they were pullin'. Lots of that gets a read/react defensive line moving to fight through blocks, which puts offensive hats between the D Line and the ballcarrier. Didja notice how even the gutshot 50 yarder at the beginning of the game had the line of scrimmage sliding laterally? That's an O-Line stepping for position at contact, the D-Line addressing and fighting through the hat, which in turn, puts the holes to the backside, the meat n' taters of the zone read. Add a pull or fold every once in awhile to pop the backside pinch from contain, and you got linebackers in space with some open green for the tailback.

even with the movement the dline is making, they are still allowing far too much contact with the linebackers and that is what is starting to concern me....

we just don't have the meat right now to occupy the attention of 5-6 olineman which is allowing the lineman to chip off of the double team and take out a linebacker. more times than not yesterday, when warshington busted a good sized run off, you could see in the replay one of our linebackers fighting off a block......

Jello Biafra
9/10/2006, 02:19 PM
Any feedback on the progress of the fullbacks? JD was such a luxury for AD as he would literally blow open holes last year when our o-line was worse. Can Clapp or Zaslaw develop into a road-clearing machine like Runnels eventually?

i saw both of them delivering devastating blocks when they were in there. they may not be able to take runnels spot but they will do until they gain confidence and experience.

bixby28
9/11/2006, 11:46 PM

Man, i hope you're right. I just don't see the Sooner O-Line bullying anybody around trying to run block this year. There is time to improve, but they just look rough trying to open up holes for Peterson. The Oregon game is gonna be close, but i think if the defense can just be consistent, they'll win.

Texas Golfer
9/11/2006, 11:50 PM
Our chances for an undefeated season rests solely on the play of the OL. That's a bold statement but, in my opinion, very true.

If the OL could open holes for AD and sustain their blocks to give PT time to make his reads, I don't think there's a team that can beat us.

Our defense has been weaker than I suspected they'd be so far but I think that can be corrected.

okcusooner
9/12/2006, 12:57 AM
...if Onyenegecha and Bassey could cover
...if Mo Dampeer could stay fit
...if R.D. Lasher could nail the big kick.

QuackAttack
9/12/2006, 01:32 AM
Sounds like a lot of "If's".

Everyone in here has stated that the OL is the key to the match up with my Ducks, when I would argue it is Defense that is key.

Realistically, neither team has fared well on the defensive end (although Oregon did against a pitiful Stanford team), so it seems to me both teams will be able to put points on the board. Therefore, criticial defensive stops and forced turnovers will be the difference in this game.

Your RB will gain a ton of yards and I am sure multiple touchdowns. Oregon has so many weapons on the offense, coupled with an extremely difficult to cover spread offense, equates to a lot of points to a poor Defense.

If this game were in Oklahoma, my real money would be on the Sooners. However, because the game is in Eugene, I think the home field will pump up Oregon's Defense and their intensity just enough to make the difference in the game. I believe the vegas odd setters agree.

Also, for the Sooner fan who says Eugene is not tough to play at, you're not doing your homework very well. It is not how many people Autzen holds, it is the overall design of the stadium. It was built so that the seats are extremely close to the ground, and the acoustics reverberate more than any stadium I have visited - including NFL. USC of last year, and many other fine programs, have at least several first half false starts.

It is critical for Oklahoma to strike fast and do all they can to take momentum away, and give no reason for Oregon fans to cheer. Therefore, no turnovers and exceptional special teams will win the day for Oklahoma.

Gluck to both teams. May the better win.

BIG_IKE
9/12/2006, 09:04 AM
I tell you what...I'm just tickled pink about OUr offense. The entire country is worried about AD and thinks we are one dimensional. Ena's passing will improve every week and between Finley, Iglesias and Kelly we are gonna eat peoples lunch! And just as soon as they start respecting the pass game AD will kill them. And let's not forget that Thompson can scoot as well.

Mark my words...as soon as the Defense steps up to their potential the rest of the country is in serious trouble. We will have a stingy defense AND a deadly unstoppable offense!

Texas Golfer
9/12/2006, 09:17 AM
I tell you what...I'm just tickled pink about OUr offense. The entire country is worried about AD and thinks we are one dimensional. Ena's passing will improve every week and between Finley, Iglesias and Kelly we are gonna eat peoples lunch! And just as soon as they start respecting the pass game AD will kill them. And let's not forget that Thompson can scoot as well.

Mark my words...as soon as the Defense steps up to their potential the rest of the country is in serious trouble. We will have a stingy defense AND a deadly unstoppable offense!

We need to learn to catch the ball on both sides of the line of scrimmage. I taped the Washington game and have watched it twice. I counted six dropped passes on offense and three dropped interception possibilities. The Husky game was much closer than it had to be.

If we continue to drop the ball (literally), we will have a long day in Autzen even with the shortened game.