PDA

View Full Version : Is oregon under NCAA probation of some sort?

Miko
9/9/2006, 10:48 PM
Lemme guess, they can keep their schollies, still go to a bowl game, but they have to make sure they have the gawd-ugliest unies in college football.

They make the Italian bobsled team look good.:eek:

Sooner Eclipse
9/9/2006, 10:54 PM
They have one WR that has neon yellow shoes on. :eek: I thought I was going blind.

Miko
9/10/2006, 10:08 AM
Are these worse than prior years' or had I just been spared from seeing their road unis??

stoopified
9/10/2006, 11:20 AM
They actually have at least 4or5 combinations of eye-scorching,stomsch-turning neon-puke colors that they use.No lie,Ihave heard them talk about that on TV.Last years OU-Uo matchup in the Holiday Bowl was one of those occasions.I seem recall the comment that they were using one of their most conservative uni cmbos for that game.

badger
9/10/2006, 11:45 AM
Our third game against them in three years? We're gonna get some resident duck fans, soon ;)

Coming soon: No Duck Thursday. ;)

Quack 10
9/10/2006, 01:23 PM
Our third game against them in three years? We're gonna get some resident duck fans, soon

You've already got one, at least for this season.

I love the unis, and as long as y'all remain obsessed with 'em, that's perfect. The seniors choose the combination they'll wear for each game, and so far they're sticking to the green. I'm hoping for the yellows Saturday, aren't you?

Did you see Syracuse yesterday? Maybe it's just that I hate orange, but man, those are pretty bad.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/10/2006, 01:29 PM
I was wondering if they would break out the golden flame helmets for saturday?

badger
9/10/2006, 01:36 PM

I love the unis, and as long as y'all remain obsessed with 'em, that's perfect. The seniors choose the combination they'll wear for each game, and so far they're sticking to the green. I'm hoping for the yellows Saturday, aren't you?

Did you see Syracuse yesterday? Maybe it's just that I hate orange, but man, those are pretty bad.
I love your green helmets. I wish the Sooners had that same metallic look in crimson. The rest of your uniforms can just take a quack.

UO/OU may turn out to be one of those matchups we wish we had more often, like OU/Alabama or even OU/Nebbish (stupid Big 12 North).

A message from the Washington fans: They hate you and we are now their 2nd favorite team until after Saturday's game. I tried to use Oregon fans as an example of the football following in the area, and immediately the Dawgs were like "We hate Oregon." And I tried a different route, like "They certainly brought a lot of fans to Norman, like the Huskies..."

"We hate the Ducks. OU's our second-favorite team next week. We hope you guys clobber them."

Do you all have an inter-state rivalry with them? I felt like I was out of the loop as far as northwestern sports rivalries go :)

TheHumanAlphabet
9/11/2006, 11:03 AM
I love your green helmets. I wish the Sooners had that same metallic look in crimson. The rest of your uniforms can just take a quack.

OUr helmets are metallic Crimson...

RacerX
9/11/2006, 11:30 AM
OUr helmets are metallic Crimson...

Heh.

Quack 10
9/11/2006, 12:02 PM
Do you all have an inter-state rivalry with them? I felt like I was out of the loop as far as northwestern sports rivalries go

Uh yeah, just a little. Here's an excerpt from a Husky perspective. The urine and feces story that Shelley Smith reported is urban legend, (this was written in 2003, and the "Husky staffer" claimed that it happened "two years ago," but that BS story has been around since the 80s. The rest of it is pretty accurate.

The rivalry: a date that rhymes with hate.

I began to research the rivalry more, delving into the archives of the old Pacific Coast Conference, looking for a date that rhymed with hate, looking for the date when the border war began.

Yes, he meant 1948. As the series between the Huskies and Ducks evolved, the first shot in the feud occurred in 1948, when California and Oregon tied for the Pacific Coast Conference crown. As in Kubrick’s movie, 2001, the man-apes began “to swing with their bone-tools, now using them as weapons to threaten the nearest other tribe of rival proto-humans.” I now was on a roll.

To determine the Rose Bowl representative, a vote of the conference schools was taken to break the tie between Cal and Oregon. It was assumed that the four California schools would vote for California and that the six northwest schools would vote for Oregon. Washington voted for California and encouraged Montana to go along with its vote. California went to the Rose Bowl, only to lose to Northwestern 20-14. Norm Van Brocklin, one of the greatest quarterbacks and coaches in NFL history, quarterbacked the Ducks that year, and Oregon fans, the older ones, feel it's a darned shame he never got to play in the Rose Bowl.

The war escalated on the football field, when Oregon beat Washington 63-6 in 1951 and Washington beat Oregon 49-0 a year later.

Then in 1956, after he was fired, Washington Coach John Cherberg went on television and revealed that Washington football players were being paid by a downtown “slush fund," called the Washington Advertising Association. Cherberg's revelation led to a two-year probation for Washington in 1956. It was determined that 27 Washington players received an average of $135 per month, instead of the allowed $75. The PCC banned post-season competition for all of its athletic teams. A domino effect followed in Los Angeles, when UCLA and USC were placed on probation for slush fund irregularities.

More acrimony occurred in 1958, leading to the formation of the AAWU. Yes, fifty-eight rhymes with hate.

In part, the harshness of the punishments led to the dissolution of the PCC and the formation of the AAWU (1959-1968), which excluded the so-called "cow colleges" (WSC and OSC) along with Oregon and Idaho. Note that Montana left the old PCC in 1950.

The fact that all of Washington’s athletic teams were placed on probation, rather than just the football team, was the center of contention. Although most of the conference members voted for the sanctions, Orlando Hollis, dean of Oregon law school was the chief prosecutor in cases against UCLA, USC, California and Washington. He was particularly disdainful of the corrupting climate of southern California, and he was a target of the local media in Los Angeles and Seattle.

During the border war’s long history, some noticeable incidents have occurred:

In 1962, Washington fans, who had rushed onto the field, tackled Oregon's Larry Hill who was attempting to catch a pass in the end zone to win the game. [Smith].

In 1996, former Washington coach Rick Neuheisel, who coached Colorado at the time, called for a fake punt against the Ducks in the Cotton Bowl, with the Buffs leading 38-6. Ducks fans won't forget that one.

Oregon beat Washington 58-0 in 1973 and Washington beat Oregon 66-0 a year later.

Bobby Moore (Ahmad Rashad), from Tacoma, went to Oregon after a relative of his was no longer welcome on Jim Owens' team. This further flamed the rivalry.

Husky fans believe that Oregon turned Washington in for the quiet-day rules' violations that occurred in 1999 when Rick Neuheisel took over as head coach. [Smith].

And then there is the Bellotti factor. After the quiet-day visits in 1999, Gary Barnett and several other coaches, as reported by the press, signed a letter "protesting what the punishment might be for Washington." Barnett was quoted as saying they "petitioned the NCAA to make this punishment fit the crime, because it won't. They'll get their hands slapped and they'll be reinstated. That's just the way it's done. I just think that's ridiculous." Later, two of the coaches reportedly signing the letter denied doing so. The press had mistakenly reported that Mike Bellotti, Oregon's coach, was one of the coaches signing the letter. The fact that he didn’t sign it doesn’t mollify Husky fans; the whole thing was unfair in their minds.

In addition to throwing dog biscuits at them, Duck fans threw cups of urine and dog feces on Husky players at Autzen Stadium two years ago, this according to a Husky staff member. [Smith].

With potential Washington recruits in the house at the Oregon/Oregon State football game (Eugene, 2001), a video clip of Rick Neuheisel was juxtaposed with a scene from the movie "Airplane" that showed a woman vomiting. It was shown six times on the Jumbotron. Of course, the partisan crowd whooped it up each time. The Oregon athletic director apologized for the incident. [Seattle Times].

Preceding the 2003 game, stories in the local press made mention of the Huskies’ prolonged, 30-minute celebration after they had thrashed the Ducks 42-14 at Autzen Stadium in 2002.
Visages of that raucous party haunted Oregon’s players and coaches all week, according to a mini-hurly-burly raised in the press.

During the week, there were quotes from several Oregon players. "It wasn't ... how would I say this?" QB Kellen Clemens said. "I don't know. We will use it as motivation. It wasn't something that showed a whole lot of class."

Oblivious to the proverbial bulletin board, Oregon free safety Keith Lewis took some swipes at a number of Huskies and essentially guaranteed his team would be dancing on Husky Stadium's midfield "W" at the end of the game. Reiterating his comments about QB Cody Pickett last season, Lewis said, "Anybody can have one good season. Cody Pickett was overrated, bottom line, in my opinion." He went on to say that no one knew about Charles Frederick until after his game with OSU and, in the past, he has called Reggie Williams slow.

Along with Lewis, Oregon coach Mike Bellotti had added his two-cents during week, saying he thought the Huskies' behavior in last season's game was in "very poor taste."

After the 2003 game, which the UW won 42-10, Husky players danced on the "W".

Many shots have been fired during the border war, and it’s not over. Although Washington leads the series, 57-33-5, Oregon has won 5 of the last 9 games. Duck fans feel they have a cause célèbre, thanks to the 85-player scholarship rule, to Washington’s penalty years in the nineties, and to the fan factor at Autzen Stadium, where the Ducks have a dominant home-field advantage.

Fans may never see who wins the border war; it could be a war without an end. Is there no hope for mankind?

Desert Sapper
9/11/2006, 12:18 PM
There's an ESPN poll about the Oregon unis. Pretty funny, actually.

Oregon Uniforms (http://poll.espn.go.com/cgi/sz/poll.dll?goto=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.espn.go.com%2Fes pn%2Fpage2%2Fstory%3Fpage%3Doregon%2F060831&domain=.go.com&questions=1&id=65441&service=SZ&qid=38877&count_0=14&expected_0=1&vote_0=160788)

OklahomaRed
9/11/2006, 01:49 PM
Don't play friendly. Oregon SUCKS !!! Of course, they do make good Holiday Bowl opponents. If Oregon ever wants to have an ounce of respect, they have to learn to beat SUC. :D

Quack 10
9/11/2006, 02:12 PM
If Oregon ever wants to have an ounce of respect, they have to learn to beat SUC.

Well, or Pete Carroll anyway. Oregon is actually 4-2 against the Toejams since '98.

It doesn't look like the Ducks will be rolling out the highlighters this week. An article in the R-G yesterday stated that neither the yellow nor the black unis had arrived yet (presumably from Phil's Asian sweat shops), and the new helmets aren't in yet either.

If they really care about wearing a different combination for every game, then apparently all they have available is the green jerseys with the white pants, but I don't think they've ever worn the white pants at hoome.

tulsaoilerfan
9/11/2006, 05:15 PM

Anything orange sucks:D

TrophyCollector
9/11/2006, 05:24 PM
Uh yeah, just a little. Here's an excerpt from a Husky perspective. The urine and feces story that Shelley Smith reported is urban legend, (this was written in 2003, and the "Husky staffer" claimed that it happened "two years ago," but that BS story has been around since the 80s. The rest of it is pretty accurate.

The rivalry: a date that rhymes with hate.

I began to research the rivalry more, delving into the archives of the old Pacific Coast Conference, looking for a date that rhymed with hate, looking for the date when the border war began.

Yes, he meant 1948. As the series between the Huskies and Ducks evolved, the first shot in the feud occurred in 1948, when California and Oregon tied for the Pacific Coast Conference crown. As in Kubrick’s movie, 2001, the man-apes began “to swing with their bone-tools, now using them as weapons to threaten the nearest other tribe of rival proto-humans.” I now was on a roll.

To determine the Rose Bowl representative, a vote of the conference schools was taken to break the tie between Cal and Oregon. It was assumed that the four California schools would vote for California and that the six northwest schools would vote for Oregon. Washington voted for California and encouraged Montana to go along with its vote. California went to the Rose Bowl, only to lose to Northwestern 20-14. Norm Van Brocklin, one of the greatest quarterbacks and coaches in NFL history, quarterbacked the Ducks that year, and Oregon fans, the older ones, feel it's a darned shame he never got to play in the Rose Bowl.

The war escalated on the football field, when Oregon beat Washington 63-6 in 1951 and Washington beat Oregon 49-0 a year later.

Then in 1956, after he was fired, Washington Coach John Cherberg went on television and revealed that Washington football players were being paid by a downtown “slush fund," called the Washington Advertising Association. Cherberg's revelation led to a two-year probation for Washington in 1956. It was determined that 27 Washington players received an average of $135 per month, instead of the allowed $75. The PCC banned post-season competition for all of its athletic teams. A domino effect followed in Los Angeles, when UCLA and USC were placed on probation for slush fund irregularities.

More acrimony occurred in 1958, leading to the formation of the AAWU. Yes, fifty-eight rhymes with hate.

In part, the harshness of the punishments led to the dissolution of the PCC and the formation of the AAWU (1959-1968), which excluded the so-called "cow colleges" (WSC and OSC) along with Oregon and Idaho. Note that Montana left the old PCC in 1950.

The fact that all of Washington’s athletic teams were placed on probation, rather than just the football team, was the center of contention. Although most of the conference members voted for the sanctions, Orlando Hollis, dean of Oregon law school was the chief prosecutor in cases against UCLA, USC, California and Washington. He was particularly disdainful of the corrupting climate of southern California, and he was a target of the local media in Los Angeles and Seattle.

During the border war’s long history, some noticeable incidents have occurred:

In 1962, Washington fans, who had rushed onto the field, tackled Oregon's Larry Hill who was attempting to catch a pass in the end zone to win the game. [Smith].

In 1996, former Washington coach Rick Neuheisel, who coached Colorado at the time, called for a fake punt against the Ducks in the Cotton Bowl, with the Buffs leading 38-6. Ducks fans won't forget that one.

Oregon beat Washington 58-0 in 1973 and Washington beat Oregon 66-0 a year later.

Bobby Moore (Ahmad Rashad), from Tacoma, went to Oregon after a relative of his was no longer welcome on Jim Owens' team. This further flamed the rivalry.

Husky fans believe that Oregon turned Washington in for the quiet-day rules' violations that occurred in 1999 when Rick Neuheisel took over as head coach. [Smith].

And then there is the Bellotti factor. After the quiet-day visits in 1999, Gary Barnett and several other coaches, as reported by the press, signed a letter "protesting what the punishment might be for Washington." Barnett was quoted as saying they "petitioned the NCAA to make this punishment fit the crime, because it won't. They'll get their hands slapped and they'll be reinstated. That's just the way it's done. I just think that's ridiculous." Later, two of the coaches reportedly signing the letter denied doing so. The press had mistakenly reported that Mike Bellotti, Oregon's coach, was one of the coaches signing the letter. The fact that he didn’t sign it doesn’t mollify Husky fans; the whole thing was unfair in their minds.

In addition to throwing dog biscuits at them, Duck fans threw cups of urine and dog feces on Husky players at Autzen Stadium two years ago, this according to a Husky staff member. [Smith].

With potential Washington recruits in the house at the Oregon/Oregon State football game (Eugene, 2001), a video clip of Rick Neuheisel was juxtaposed with a scene from the movie "Airplane" that showed a woman vomiting. It was shown six times on the Jumbotron. Of course, the partisan crowd whooped it up each time. The Oregon athletic director apologized for the incident. [Seattle Times].

Preceding the 2003 game, stories in the local press made mention of the Huskies’ prolonged, 30-minute celebration after they had thrashed the Ducks 42-14 at Autzen Stadium in 2002.
Visages of that raucous party haunted Oregon’s players and coaches all week, according to a mini-hurly-burly raised in the press.

During the week, there were quotes from several Oregon players. "It wasn't ... how would I say this?" QB Kellen Clemens said. "I don't know. We will use it as motivation. It wasn't something that showed a whole lot of class."

Oblivious to the proverbial bulletin board, Oregon free safety Keith Lewis took some swipes at a number of Huskies and essentially guaranteed his team would be dancing on Husky Stadium's midfield "W" at the end of the game. Reiterating his comments about QB Cody Pickett last season, Lewis said, "Anybody can have one good season. Cody Pickett was overrated, bottom line, in my opinion." He went on to say that no one knew about Charles Frederick until after his game with OSU and, in the past, he has called Reggie Williams slow.

Along with Lewis, Oregon coach Mike Bellotti had added his two-cents during week, saying he thought the Huskies' behavior in last season's game was in "very poor taste."

After the 2003 game, which the UW won 42-10, Husky players danced on the "W".

Many shots have been fired during the border war, and it’s not over. Although Washington leads the series, 57-33-5, Oregon has won 5 of the last 9 games. Duck fans feel they have a cause célèbre, thanks to the 85-player scholarship rule, to Washington’s penalty years in the nineties, and to the fan factor at Autzen Stadium, where the Ducks have a dominant home-field advantage.

Fans may never see who wins the border war; it could be a war without an end. Is there no hope for mankind?

We have two rivalry games that are about 1,000,000,000 times more important to College Football and the sports world in general, but I've never seen anybody write that much about either one of them. Guess I'll just take your word for it.