PDA

View Full Version : Lendy or DJ...

BASSooner
9/9/2006, 06:11 PM
Do you guys think DJ will keep his spot or do you think Lendy has this locked? His performances have been bad the last 2 games buuuut could their be any chance that he could get better? Discuss.

Sooner-N-KS
9/9/2006, 06:13 PM
Lendy didn't get beat tonight.

Newbomb Turk
9/9/2006, 06:15 PM
Lendy all the way.

auto
9/9/2006, 06:17 PM
lendy

bri
9/9/2006, 06:26 PM
Lendy.

Cornerbacks need to have a short memory, but you still need to remember how your *ss got beat and make adjustments...

Cam
9/9/2006, 06:29 PM
I'd guess Lendy starts next week.

Augusta_Sooner
9/9/2006, 06:36 PM
I say Lendy, at least he doesn't get beat on the same pattern like DJ does. UAB and UW beat DJ with a Go pattern, seemingly on 3rd and long each time. If DJ could learn to run with a receiver when there is no safety help, stop looking in the backfield as the receiver continues to pull away, and realize that teams are simply beating him with same play on 3rd and long, EVERYTIME, then he will really be something special.:)

Mjcpr
9/9/2006, 06:41 PM
What did I miss that took Walker from starter, no matter how bad his shoulder may be, to never getting on the field?

I keep expecting to see him but I see DJ followed by a former WR. I don't remember him being injured or redshirting or anything.

birddog
9/9/2006, 06:43 PM
dj was ranked the 10th best corner in the ncaa by espn before the season started. i think it's safe to say that's changed.

KingDavid
9/9/2006, 06:43 PM
Lendy or Marcus Walker. Walker hits harder than both DJ and Lendy.

Augusta_Sooner
9/9/2006, 06:46 PM
Walker has better coverage skills, but he hurts his shoulder everytime he makes a big hit. As for DJ, I'm not sure he's the 10th best CB in the Big XII right now.

sooner518
9/9/2006, 06:53 PM
i swear i saw #24 (Walker right?) on the field for at least one play today

FlatheadSooner
9/9/2006, 06:59 PM
Lendy for now...........

VMG
9/9/2006, 07:04 PM
Walker made a tackle on one of UW's screen plays in the first half.

Because the trend is now established, every time DJ gets on the field as a corner, opposing OCs will look for ways to isolate him in man or 1/3 coverage w/o safety help and run the deep patterns against him. Expect to see lotsa Lendy for the rest of the year.

KingDavid
9/9/2006, 08:32 PM
Walker made a tackle on one of UW's screen plays in the first half.

Because the trend is now established, every time DJ gets on the field as a corner, opposing OCs will look for ways to isolate him in man or 1/3 coverage w/o safety help and run the deep patterns against him. Expect to see lotsa Lendy for the rest of the year.

It was a nice play by Walker - stopped a potentially long gaining play.

85sooners
9/9/2006, 09:40 PM
lendy

StoopTroup
9/9/2006, 09:46 PM
As mad as the Coaches looked...

I'm wondering if DJ will play another down this year.

Boy was Bob PO'd.

I'm not remembering when I've seen him so mad.

Soonerus
9/9/2006, 09:47 PM
D.J. will play...on special teams...

RacerX
9/9/2006, 10:12 PM
DJ = toast as well as Keenan.

TXBOOMER
9/9/2006, 10:20 PM
DJ needs to ask if he can go back to running back. He is done at DB.

tulsaoilerfan
9/9/2006, 10:32 PM
Agreed

mikeb
9/9/2006, 10:37 PM
totally agree

All_Day_28
9/9/2006, 10:56 PM
Can DJ play safety? maybe he could take Clayton's spot..idk, what do y'all think?

Sooners78
9/9/2006, 11:02 PM
I want to see more of Walker. I think with experience, he and Reggie could be the best CB tandem in the nation. He saved us at aTm 2 years ago as a true freshman. There's no way we win that game if he hadn't replaced Bassey.

ADs_Agent
9/9/2006, 11:52 PM
Carter and Holmes need starting jobs, they are so much better

colleyvillesooner
9/10/2006, 12:03 AM
As mad as the Coaches looked...

I'm wondering if DJ will play another down this year.

Boy was Bob PO'd.

I'm not remembering when I've seen him so mad.

That gripe session happened right in front of us and lasted 4 trips. Stoops yelled at him, turned around, turned back around and yelled some more, repeat that again, then he watched the next play, and yelled at him some more. It was a sight to see. I've never seen him give a tongue lashing that long before.

I also would have really liked to heard stoops and venables in the defensive huddle after we gave up the garbabge time TD...to a back up QB throwing some ducks.

TMcGee86
9/10/2006, 12:08 AM
What did I miss that took Walker from starter, no matter how bad his shoulder may be, to never getting on the field?

I keep expecting to see him but I see DJ followed by a former WR. I don't remember him being injured or redshirting or anything.

I was thinking the same thing. I was like, man, Walker must really be washed up if you go RB, WR, and he sees no time.

:confused:

Duke o Brewery
9/10/2006, 01:02 AM
Lendy will have to mess up several times for DJ to be the starter again.

Egeo
9/10/2006, 11:07 AM
I want to see more of Walker. I think with experience, he and Reggie could be the best CB tandem in the nation.
thats what people were saying about dj and reggie in the summer

Soonerwolf
9/10/2006, 11:12 AM
Do you guys think DJ will keep his spot or do you think Lendy has this locked? His performances have been bad the last 2 games buuuut could their be any chance that he could get better? Discuss.

Lendy in rotation with Marcus Walker. Walker was a very good cover corner (in the mold of Woolfolk) before his injuries. If he is truly back to full health, then he should also get some good playing time.

Unfortunately for DJ, he is not helping as it seems he is counting on his physical tools to make up for his mental mistakes !!!!!

:twinkies:

MiccoMacey
9/10/2006, 12:32 PM
I'd love to know what the coaches see during practice that's keeping Marcus off the field.

He was all-world in HS, and he did a geat job for us his true freshman yar before getting hurt.

rhombic21
9/10/2006, 01:24 PM
I don't know how you can tell.

DJ Wolfe looked great at the end of last year, and all through the off-season. What have we seen from Lendy Holmes? He played a half against Washington (and got beat deep on the same pattern that DJ did, but the ball was overthrown, interestingly enough, Reggie Smith also got beat on an overthrown ball). He's not starting for a reason, so if you're expecting him to come in and play like the next Derrick Strait, then I think you're way off base. Along the same lines, Marcus Walker is fourth string for a reason too. Who knows if he's even healthy enough to go all game? And the last time that he started, he got roasted worse than DJ ever thought about against USC.

I think that Lendy will probably play better than DJ did over the first two games, simply because it seems like DJ is lacking confidence and right now. But I'm not expecting him to come in and dominate. I think we have to face the fact that cornerback, which we thought was going to be a strength of the team, is potentially going to be a position that struggles at times this year.

Tear Down This Wall
9/10/2006, 02:04 PM
I hope the D.J. Wolfe experiment is over. It was one of the worst tried. And, further, I hope everyone is dispelled of the notion that Bob Stoops takes players from the offensive side of the ball and magically makes them into defensive players.

D.J. Wolfe did not play corner in high school. To throw him in there last year was ridiculous. It was a give up move because Jowhan Poteat never panned out (in five years!) and Bassey was moved from safety to corner from safety to corner when he should have just been left at safety all along.

Like Andre Woolfork, Lendy Holmes excelled not only on the offensive side of the ball in high school, but on the defensive side as well - at corner! Here is a sample of a blurb on Lendy during the time period when he was recruited:

2004 Scout.com HS Football Rankings
Pos: WR Pos Rank: #13 Pos Rating:

Biography:
Holmes is one of the state's top athletes as he caught 38 passes for 505 yards with nine touchdowns in addition to rushing for 191 yards on 42 carries and two more scores. Could play quarterback for SOC head coach J.B. Wallace this season. If not, will return at wide receiver and corner, where he had six interceptions in 2002.

Andre Woolfork had 10 interceptions his senior year. Moving him from WR to CB was no great stroke of genius. Neither was moving Lendy Holmes to CB.

Moving D.J. Wolfe there was simply unfair to Wolfe. He's a great tailback, one of the best and most sought after in the coutry when he signed with us. Asking him to play a position he'd never played was a shot in the dark, and a bad one. It is Lendy who should have been moved to CB last year. He had the prior experience from his prep days just as Andre Woolfork before him had.

I wish more than anything that they'd move D.J. back to the offensive side of the ball. He deserves a chance to be in the position where he can most help the team - even in a back-up role. Putting him out there at CB to be embarassed isn't right. It never was. D.J. deserves better than that.

Scotty
9/10/2006, 02:12 PM
i think coach stoops said on the post-game that it is lendy's job to lose...I'm not 100% postive though

MojoRisen
9/10/2006, 02:27 PM
Lendy looked pretty solid too me- I don't understand wolfe's deal.. He played well last year- I am thinking TT game he got tested all game and came through.

He is maybe too big this year...

When is Brian Jackson going to be back from his scope? they said he would get PT this year as well.

yermom
9/10/2006, 09:24 PM
I hope the D.J. Wolfe experiment is over. It was one of the worst tried. And, further, I hope everyone is dispelled of the notion that Bob Stoops takes players from the offensive side of the ball and magically makes them into defensive players.

D.J. Wolfe did not play corner in high school. To throw him in there last year was ridiculous. It was a give up move because Jowhan Poteat never panned out (in five years!) and Bassey was moved from safety to corner from safety to corner when he should have just been left at safety all along.

Like Andre Woolfork, Lendy Holmes excelled not only on the offensive side of the ball in high school, but on the defensive side as well - at corner! Here is a sample of a blurb on Lendy during the time period when he was recruited:

Biography:
Holmes is one of the state's top athletes as he caught 38 passes for 505 yards with nine touchdowns in addition to rushing for 191 yards on 42 carries and two more scores. Could play quarterback for SOC head coach J.B. Wallace this season. If not, will return at wide receiver and corner, where he had six interceptions in 2002.

Andre Woolfork had 10 interceptions his senior year. Moving him from WR to CB was no great stroke of genius. Neither was moving Lendy Holmes to CB.

Moving D.J. Wolfe there was simply unfair to Wolfe. He's a great tailback, one of the best and most sought after in the coutry when he signed with us. Asking him to play a position he'd never played was a shot in the dark, and a bad one. It is Lendy who should have been moved to CB last year. He had the prior experience from his prep days just as Andre Woolfork before him had.

I wish more than anything that they'd move D.J. back to the offensive side of the ball. He deserves a chance to be in the position where he can most help the team - even in a back-up role. Putting him out there at CB to be embarassed isn't right. It never was. D.J. deserves better than that.

it wasn't that random, DJ played DB in HS as well

i don't know as much about Lendy's tackling, but in the Spring he was picking off a lot of passes

i wouldn't be that surprised to see DJ in on 1st downs and short yardage situations, and Lendy in on more obvious passing downs

dolemitesooner
9/10/2006, 09:30 PM
Lendy......wolf is great in short yardage situations but he gets ****ing burnt deep ...sorry guy keep doing a good jorb on special team wolfe

OU-HSV
9/10/2006, 09:30 PM
Lendy

achiro
9/10/2006, 09:37 PM
He got burnt...was it because of a mental mistake or because of a speed issue? I think the answer to that question determines whether or not he will play that position again this year for the Sooners.

GottaHavePride
9/10/2006, 09:41 PM

Like Andre Woolfolk, Lendy Holmes excelled not only on the offensive side of the ball in high school, but on the defensive side as well - at corner! Here is a sample of a blurb on Lendy during the time period when he was recruited:

Biography:

Andre Woolfolk had 10 interceptions his senior year. Moving him from WR to CB was no great stroke of genius. Neither was moving Lendy Holmes to CB.

Moving D.J. Wolfe there was simply unfair to Wolfe. He's a great tailback, one of the best and most sought after in the coutry when he signed with us. Asking him to play a position he'd never played was a shot in the dark, and a bad one. It is Lendy who should have been moved to CB last year. He had the prior experience from his prep days just as Andre Woolfolk before him had.

Fixed those for ya.

rhombic21
9/10/2006, 10:18 PM
Guys, DJ beat Lendy out in the Spring and in the fall. So you apparently think that:

A) DJ is pretty good at corner when he's on his game, and he just isn't on his game right now.

or

B) Our coaching staff can't evaluate talent, and Lendy Holmes is clearly a better player at CB than Wolfe is, because Wolfe isn't that good at CB, and he shouldn't ever play again

or

C) Wolfe was over-rated by fans and media during the offseason, but he still managed to beat out Lendy Holmes and Marcus Walker during the spring and fall, because neither of those guys are any better.

I mean seriously, do you guys think that the coaches started DJ when they thought Lendy was the better player? Or do you think that our coaches are just not good enough at evaluating talent to realize that Lendy/Walker is better than DJ?

I hate to break it to you guys, but Bob Stoops knows a thing or two about secondary play. There is a reason that Lendy didn't win the starting job. There is also a reason that DJ is playing CB and not HB. To suggest that he's devoid of talent at the position, or that he should be moved back to HB immediately, is a bit absurd, IMO.