PDA

View Full Version : The intangible Jonathan Hayes

cs6000
9/9/2006, 10:34 AM
I wish we still had this guy! I've always felt Hayes never received the recognition he was due. Back during the 1999 and 2000 campaigns I was lucky to get to sit at a few games about 10 rows behind the Sooner bench.

While Hayes was "just" the tight ends/special teams coach; he had strange presence on those sidelines. Since many starters also played special teams, he was constantly cruising up and down to talk to the guys. Players would shrink from his gaze; move upside, and generally shut up and stand tall when he was around. While Bob had his eyes on the field, Hayes seemed to stalk the sidelines, showing the guys what a real football player looks like.

It's one of those things you can't put your finger on, but know you need more of....

opksooner
9/9/2006, 10:52 AM
True, dat.

King Crimson
9/9/2006, 11:06 AM
our special teams were truly outstanding under JH. a real advantage. too bad they've not been as such since.....and were nearly costly in 04 against the pokes and aTm.

JH also stared down and walked off OSU Ryan's attempt to be the "intimidator" prior to the 99 blowout in Norman. heh. losers.

Shaz-Bot
9/9/2006, 11:20 AM
Where is he coaching now?

cs6000
9/9/2006, 01:01 PM
He left here for the Bengals in 2003, not sure if he's still there.