PDA

View Full Version : What kind of arts......gets viewed in you household,

picasso
9/8/2006, 11:21 PM
Are you folks of the print with bad frame type? Painting has to match the couch sad type? Thomas Kincaid freaks out there?

belch.

royalfan5
9/8/2006, 11:24 PM
my had also sorts of impressionist stuff hanging around, plus the stuff she painted. Myself, I have no art hanging, I prefer photography collections.

StoopTroup
9/8/2006, 11:25 PM
We actually know most of the artists who's intellectual works now hang in our house.

Most of them are Family members.

Other than that...

Mostly martial arts.

picasso
9/8/2006, 11:27 PM
Myself, I have no art hanging, I prefer photography collections.

Ansel Adams or Jim Skidmark's shot of the local flower park?

picasso
9/8/2006, 11:28 PM
We actually know most of the artists who's work hang in our house.

Most of them are Family members.

Other than that...

Mostly martial arts.

fixed:D

royalfan5
9/8/2006, 11:32 PM
Ansel Adams or Jim Skidmark's shot of the local flower park?
Variety of Rural photograhpy. I just got a book of grain elevators pics today, and have another one on the way. I have several books of barns too. I also have some public archetichure type books as well.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2006, 11:32 PM
Are you folks of the print with bad frame type? Painting has to match the couch sad type? Thomas Kincaid freaks out there?

belch.

Well, the prints match the furniture, but that's because I bought the furniture around the prints. I have two Machetanz' in the house:

http://www.stephanfineart.com/images/fm18_lg.jpg

I can't find the other one online. I'll take a pic later.

Both are signed and numbered.

I also have some original comic art in the library. One Mike Oeming sketch and a strip from Chad Carpenter (who does the nationally-syndicated strip "Tundra".)

Then I have a couple of Byron Birdsalls in the bedroom. I can't find them online-they're Alaska Railroad anniversary prints.

picasso
9/8/2006, 11:34 PM
Variety of Rural photograhpy. I just got a book of grain elevators pics today, and have another one on the way. I have several books of barns too. I also have some public archetichure type books as well.
cool. I buy frames from a wholesaler who photographs old bridges in Oklahoma and Kansas and then puts them to pen and ink.

picasso
9/8/2006, 11:37 PM
Well, the prints match the furniture, but that's because I bought the furniture around the prints. I have two Machetanz' in the house:

http://www.stephanfineart.com/detail.aspx?ID=413

I can't find the other one online. I'll take a pic later.

Both are signed and numbered.

I also have some original comic art in the library. One Mike Oeming sketch and a strip from Chad Carpenter (who does the nationally-syndicated strip "Tundra".)

Then I have a couple of Byron Birdsalls in the bedroom. I can't find them online-they're Alaska Railroad anniversary prints.
anything original gets high marks. coolio.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2006, 11:38 PM
Pic, one of these days I'll scan in some of my great-grandfather's ink and pencil sketches of old farmhouses. Unbelievable stuff.

SicEmBaylor
9/8/2006, 11:38 PM
I am a sucker for Baroque art.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2006, 11:39 PM
anything original gets high marks. coolio.

If it ain't at least signed and numbered, it doesn't go on my walls. I'm a bit of a snob that way. The Machetanz' have both appreciated quite a bit, I'm happy to say, though I don't think I'd sell.

It's too bad the guy was such a big Ohio State fan. He used to paint the Ohio State program covers back in the day. He'd have to paint them all before the season so they could get them in time to print-guy was living in Unalakleet at the time.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2006, 11:41 PM

Well, you know what they say...

If it ain't Baroque, don't fixe it.

That joke works better in a music thread.

picasso
9/8/2006, 11:41 PM
If it ain't at least signed and numbered, it doesn't go on my walls. I'm a bit of a snob that way. The Machetanz' have both appreciated quite a bit, I'm happy to say, though I don't think I'd sell.

It's too bad the guy was such a big Ohio State fan. He used to paint the Ohio State program covers back in the day. He'd have to paint them all before the season so they could get them in time to print-guy was living in Unalakleet at the time.
I dig it. that old school stuff is nostalgia sweet.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2006, 11:45 PM
It totally is. Fred was cool in that he'd openly admit that he was heavily influenced (especially in his early work) by Norman Rockwell. He also donated TONS of money to local football programs up here-the Palmer High School field and locker rooms are both named for him.

All-around great guy and great Alaskan.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2006, 11:46 PM
Speaking of which, I keep meaning to start taking serious looks to buy some of your stuff-maybe not the originals, but a signed and numbered print would be awesome. Shoot me a pm in October?

King Crimson
9/8/2006, 11:46 PM
i like the plain walls, but i've got a Russian Futurist print on the wall from a Guggenheim exhibit i saw in 93. the Stenberg Brothers/graphic art in the early 1900's. i've got a bunch of pretty cool subway posters and such from Paris/Barcelona...and some Yves Tanguy and Braque....some other stuff i lifted from my mom.

I'm also really on the lookout for a cool Spanish galleon oil painting, serious. i like those.

http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/courses/russ1771/posters/todinad.jpg

King Crimson
9/8/2006, 11:48 PM

figures, the excess of the grandiose state.....:D

picasso
9/8/2006, 11:48 PM
Speaking of which, I keep meaning to start taking serious looks to buy some of your stuff-maybe not the originals, but a signed and numbered print would be awesome. Shoot me a pm in October?
yeah, I recall back in the day on the Rhome board discussing your artistic tastes.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2006, 11:49 PM
Yep. I take a while when I'm deciding to buy art. It's like the one thing I DON'T impulse buy.

picasso
9/8/2006, 11:50 PM
i like the plain walls, but i've got a Russian Futurist print on the wall from a Guggenheim exhibit i saw in 93. the Stenberg Brothers/graphic art in the early 1900's. i've got a bunch of pretty cool subway posters and such from Paris/Barcelona...and some Yves Tanguy and Braque....some other stuff i lifted from my mom.

I'm also really on the lookout for a cool Spanish galleon oil painting, serious. i like those.

http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/courses/russ1771/posters/todinad.jpg
Yves Tanguy, f'in A!

and people forget ole Braque broke cubism down with Picasso.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2006, 11:51 PM
Found the other one.

http://www.galleryone.com/images/machetanz/machetanz%20-%20into%20the%20home%20stretch.jpg

picasso
9/8/2006, 11:52 PM
yeah, no offense but the Baroque light from dark thing never did it for me. I mean there's the icons from that period but give me some good ole Renaissance northern europe types any day.

picasso
9/8/2006, 11:54 PM
Found the other one.

http://www.galleryone.com/images/machetanz/machetanz%20-%20into%20the%20home%20stretch.jpg
that's pretty cool but I'm not getting the fully leaved snow covered trees. that must be September in Alaska.;)

picasso
9/8/2006, 11:55 PM
Yep. I take a while when I'm deciding to buy art. It's like the one thing I DON'T impulse buy.
that and hookers.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2006, 11:56 PM
Heh. The detail doesn't come across well in the pic, but those are all evergreens. Mostly scrub pine and spruce. Trust me, highly climate and locality appropriate.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2006, 11:56 PM
that and hookers.

No, those are pretty much ALWAYS an impulse buy.

Though, really, when you grind 'em up in the disposal you don't have to pay them, so it doesn't really count as a "buy."

picasso
9/8/2006, 11:57 PM
Heh. The detail doesn't come across well in the pic, but those are all evergreens. Mostly scrub pine and spruce. Trust me, highly climate and locality appropriate.
yeah I figured as much.

pretty cool. makes me want to stoke the fire.

picasso
9/8/2006, 11:58 PM
No, those are pretty much ALWAYS an impulse buy.

Though, really, when you grind 'em up in the disposal you don't have to pay them, so it doesn't really count as a "buy."
not me. I gotta look 'em over well and consider the possibilities.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2006, 11:59 PM
I'm a big fan of Fred. His use of perspective and his choice of pallette are always really cool. It's too bad you can't see the originals-most of 'em are locked away in Wells Fargo's corporate HQ, but they trot them out for shows every now and then. He painted on mica quite a bit, and the glow would shine through the paints to give his snow and ice scapes a very ethereal quality.

I'm going to go ahead and report to the Confessional now.

Frozen Sooner
9/9/2006, 12:00 AM
not me. I gotta look 'em over well and consider the possibilities.

What, like what your mother is going to think when you bring them over for Thanksgiving?

All possibilities end up with the garbage disposal. Remember this. It's liberating.

(If any law enforcement is reading this, um, not really.)

picasso
9/9/2006, 12:02 AM
never heard of the guy but shall look him up when I'm not so sleepy and lazy.

picasso
9/9/2006, 12:03 AM
What, like what your mother is going to think when you bring them over for Thanksgiving?

All possibilities end up with the garbage disposal. Remember this. It's liberating.

nooooo, I'm talking pure physicality here.

King Crimson
9/9/2006, 12:09 AM

is that why you polled on dumping the pasta?

recent garbage "disposal" being what it was, and such?

King Crimson
9/9/2006, 12:11 AM
i've also got this: a friend gave me. i don't put it up. but, hey?

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/SHD/525~Self-Portrait-Posters.jpg

Blue
9/9/2006, 02:02 AM
Nothing. Have you ever stared at a plain white wall? What about a plain white wall...ON WEED!

http://jon.happyjoyfun.net/pics_fl/halfbaked/halfbaked4.jpg

BoogercountySooner
9/9/2006, 05:37 AM
Gorman Prints, David Macardo originals. Pena prints listen to Charlotte Church on the stereo.

Okla-homey
9/9/2006, 05:56 AM
Gorman Prints, David Macardo originals. Pena prints listen to Charlotte Church on the stereo.

speaking of Charlotte Church...she's all growed up now. GIS her and you'll see what I mean.:eek:

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3779/aaacharlottechurchtheguardianweek347237kx7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BoogercountySooner
9/9/2006, 06:01 AM
Wowzer!!!!

BudSooner
9/9/2006, 09:28 AM
Uh, lets see...we have some "Suicidal clowns" hanging in the Louvre(crapper) 4 dogs playing cards....there is that black velvet thingy in the hallway, sorta looks like Elvis but porkier....some water color paintings I made with my ****.
And a lavalamp.

I'm gonna get that watercolor appraised soon, it truly is a mutha****in work of art.

Harry Beanbag
9/9/2006, 09:40 AM
I have an ancient 4 X 6 foot Dogs Playing Poker tapestry hanging in the gameroom over the poker table.

In my office, I have three old sailing ships at sea paintings to go along with my framed photo of Spencer Tillman, Steve Bryan, Brian Bosworth, and Sonny Brown holding hands walking to the coin toss in the Cotton bowl.

BoogercountySooner
9/9/2006, 10:21 AM
Heres on of the prints we have in our house!

http://www.amerindianarts.us/gorman/images/rcunwild400.jpg

picasso
9/9/2006, 10:23 AM
I have no problem with Gorman. his early work was better before the assembly line maiden motif but hey, the dude's an icon.

opksooner
9/9/2006, 11:51 AM
Azoulay, "Rites". :)

BoogercountySooner
9/9/2006, 01:18 PM
You have any Southwest art for sale right now Picasso?

proud gonzo
11/12/2006, 11:58 PM
I have some nice movie posters...stored behind a desk or something. but mostly the only artwork around is my paintings. (I don't have time to decorate...) My grandma has some awesome paintings though. She has a couple of impressionist type things--there's a nice street scene, and a couple of cool portraits. She has two landscapes that she brought from Germany.

Boarder
11/13/2006, 12:04 AM
I have a Last Supper picture that was my Grandma's and was reframed. It's in the dining room.

The only other "art" is two framed...I guess you call the pictures. They are Bible verses that it's kind of like you laid out metal letters and then pressed down old looking paper on top of them where they made an impression outwards. Then, the letters are painted gold. They're cool looking.

Lots of pictures of the kids.

Boarder
11/13/2006, 12:05 AM
Oh, and this picture:
http://www.acclaimposters.com/_gallery/large/10008668.jpg

Is in one of the kid's room. It's from a popular kids book, "Goodnight Moon" that he really likes.

Ike
11/13/2006, 12:12 AM
most of the art in our house is either stuff my wife painted or stuff painted by someone we know.

PhxSooner
11/13/2006, 12:29 AM
Most of our "art" is stuff my husband gets from trips overseas. Lots of Chinese artwork, with a couple of embroidered panels from Taiwan. I think the only print I have is of the Tower of London that we bought from an artist at a stall in Covent Garden.

This, of course, doesn't include my kids' sterling collections: OU stadium pic, Disney princesses, and High School Musical posters.:D

picasso
11/13/2006, 12:34 AM
ok, let me remind you's folks that the title of this thread was a copycat type. thus the sillay grammar and stuff.
also, I've got tons of prints and such that someday I'll get around to framing and hanging. it's mostly just my work now and some Paul Pletka prints.
also, some small original works that I've traded with fellow artists.

PhxSooner
11/13/2006, 12:45 AM
Sure, ruin the fun.;)

You need to move out here. I know I'm missing some good art, but alot of it is still the cheesy '80s Southwest stuff.

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2006, 12:49 AM
Mostly velvet nudes of myself.

PhxSooner
11/13/2006, 12:54 AM
We also have an exquisite SpongeBob calendar that honors a "master" each month. November is art noveau, with Van Gogh up in December.

picasso
11/13/2006, 12:55 AM
Sure, ruin the fun.;)

You need to move out here. I know I'm missing some good art, but alot of it is still the cheesy '80s Southwest stuff.
I did a tour in '99 of the Scottsdale galleries with a rep I know from Southwest Art magazine. he introduced me to many a gallery owner type and I thought one or two wanted to do bidness. nothing came of it back then.

StoopTroup
11/13/2006, 01:04 AM
I've got an autographed Disney Sericel of Mickey, Goofy and Donald...

PhxSooner
11/13/2006, 01:07 AM
I did a tour in '99 of the Scottsdale galleries with a rep I know from Southwest Art magazine. he introduced me to many a gallery owner type and I thought one or two wanted to do bidness. nothing came of it back then.
Scottsdale galleries are a little weird. They complain about slow business, but have lousy hours and works that are a little odd. You should come up to the Cave Creek/Carefree galleries. Not sure if they're any better, but hey, you'd be in my part of town!:D

Jimminy Crimson
11/13/2006, 03:37 AM
I've got some signed Greg Burns prints. Some Oklahoma/OKC vintage photographs, also.

Other than that, I have some Jimminy originals.

I do have a signed picasso, not Picasso, print that has yet to be framed... ;)

Chuck Bao
11/13/2006, 09:42 AM
Jimminy, that post is worthless with pics of the Jimminy orignals.

I definitely need to go to more art exhibits and support local artists.

Currently, most of my walls have Asian textile hangings and Buddhist and Asian art.

Buddha wall panel
http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/buddhawallhangingresized.jpg

Buddha statue
http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/buddhaimageresized.5281346.jpg

Gilded Thai glass hand
http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/gildedthaihandresized.jpg

I have some western-style paintings, but these are knock-offs painted by a Filipina art student and friend.

Edgar Degas Ballerina (1875)
http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/ballerinaresized.6755020.jpg

Portrait of some badass renaissance dude
http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/kingresized.282506.jpg

IB4OU2
11/13/2006, 04:29 PM
Western-
Bill Jaxson

Historic-
Robert Knudson

Outdoor-
Helen Howerton

The wife loves Micheal Parkes so we have several of his works.

And many works that my wife and daughter have painted or sculpted in the last 30 years.

BeetDigger
11/13/2006, 04:40 PM
We have a few originals. A couple by an artist we knew in Seattle. We were happy to be able to purchase the original of his most popular poster. He held it back but agreed to sell it to us as we were friends of him and his wife. His are watercolors. We also have a couple of oils. I would like to continue to purchase originals, one every three to five years or so. I also have a vase by an understudy of Chilhuly's.

My mom had seragraph #3 of one of Gorman's paintings. I believe that he always kept #1 for himself and #2 went to his museum. That's what she was told anyway. I am supposed to get it but need to drive to my sister's to pick it up.