PDA

View Full Version : OU Medical Center Neurologist Recommendation?

TopDaugIn2000
9/8/2006, 08:49 PM
Ok, here's the story.

Just over 2 weeks ago my aunt went out to visit her daughter in Las Vegas. Not long after she arrived she suffered a massive stroke. Turns out, she had a brain aneurism that caused the stroke. They did brain surgery to fix that, and while they were in there they found another one on the other side (they couldn't get to it, so it won't be removed until she recovers from the first surgery, possibly in about 6 weeks). Anyway, after many tests they have concluded that she is permanently paralyzed on her left side. Also, they had to go back in on Monday and remove the part of her skull that they had taken out during the surgery and put back in, this to relieve pressure from the swelling.

The problem is, that my uncle lives in eastern OK and the rest of her family is in this area as well (TX, KS), and she is in Las Vegas in the hospital. My uncle went out right after it happened and was there during the first surgery and a couple of days after, but this doesn't look like a short term stay and he would like for her to be closer so her family could help take care of her. He has talked about trying to get her moved to the OU medical center, but we don't know ANY doctors there, and know it would be a long process (if it's even possible) and we'd need a doctor here to request it or something. Anyone know of a good Neurologist that my uncle might be able to contact about this?

We were told that only about 50% of the people that have a stroke like this make it to the hospital; and of those, only about 15-20% ever leave. So this is a long, tough road.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
TD2K

hurricane'bone
9/8/2006, 08:56 PM
Dang, that sucks.

My mom has had many dealings with neurosurgeons here in the Tulsa area, I'll see if she knows any docs at OUHC or if her neurosurgeon does.

yermom
9/8/2006, 08:59 PM
you might PEEM critical_phil. i think he has been dealing with some similar stuff with his dad in this area

TopDaugIn2000
9/8/2006, 09:03 PM
Dang, that sucks.

My mom has had many dealings with neurosurgeons here in the Tulsa area, I'll see if she knows any docs at OUHC or if her neurosurgeon does.

he also mentioned tulsa, so that would be a possibility as well. just around this area, not all the way in LV!

yermom
9/8/2006, 09:09 PM
i can probably find some people in Tulsa as well, if needed

Jimminy Crimson
9/8/2006, 09:22 PM
I'll get you a name once the good doctor (my dad) returns on Sunday.

Okla-homey
9/8/2006, 10:10 PM
Just know, nothing magical about OUMC. At OUMC, primary care is provided by residents (a/k/a overworked, sleep deprived folks who just got their M.D.) generally supervised by attendings from the third world...just saying.

OUstudent4life
9/8/2006, 11:07 PM
Just know, nothing magical about OUMC. At OUMC, primary care is provided by residents (a/k/a overworked, sleep deprived folks who just got their M.D.) generally supervised by attendings from the third world...just saying.

...and this is different that which other teaching hospital?

It's really good that you're looking for the right doc...read up on them, ask questions, etc. I read somewhere, and I agree wholeheartedly, that it's silly to spend more time looking for a car than you look for your doctor.

batonrougesooner
9/8/2006, 11:39 PM
If you need a neurosurgeon in OKC, call Paul Francel.

I don't think he is at OU anymore but he is affiliated with many other hospitals in OKC.

I'm an MD myself and if I needed a neurosurgeon, and I had the chance to pick, he is the one I'd use.

If you need rehab in the OKC area after a stroke, I'd probably go with Jim Thorpe rehab.

Just google Paul Francel. His contact information should be easily found.

critical_phil
9/9/2006, 12:28 AM
you might PEEM critical_phil. i think he has been dealing with some similar stuff with his dad in this area
i don't have a great opinion of the neuro staff at OU, so i'm no good. two of them guessed that my dad's hemiplegia had to have been caused by a stroke when he had his accident.

2 weeks later, one of those overworked/underpaid residents determined he had a ruptured carotid that was causing most of his neurological problems. he found it with a very advanced diagnostic technique called assessing the patient for bruits with a stethoscope - something that a number of highly trained and widely published physicians missed.

i was glad to get him out of that place.

yermom
9/9/2006, 12:35 AM
see, you could have told her where not to go ;)

critical_phil
9/9/2006, 12:48 AM
see, you could have told her where not to go ;)

it's kind of a coincidence that you brought it up though. it was last year about halfway through the tOSU/UT game that i got a call from the highway patrol about my dad. i've been thinking about it a lot lately.

he's doing much better, especially considering that he was dead on the scene and had multiple head injuries. i would say he's probably 80% recovered, and still improving.

TopDaugIn2000
1/17/2007, 08:08 PM
My aunt has made an amazing recovery so far. They were able to put the piece of her skull back in (that they previously removed due to swelling) over Thanksgiving, and now they feel that she is STRONG ENOUGH to come back to oklahoma. Right now, the plan is for my uncle to fly to Vegas tuesday and fly back with her on Wednesday. Right now, he's looking for "home hospice" type assistance, so he can keep her at their home. She will still have to go thru another surgery to get rid of the aneurism on the other side, which will be done in Tulsa.
She is able to talk, walk a little, and understands what has happened/what is going on. It's much much more than any of us ever expected.
Please pray they have a SAFE trip home next week, and that she continues to get stronger for her next surgery.

Viking Kitten
1/17/2007, 08:23 PM
Great news TD2K. Czar and I have been through a family stroke recovery. It ain't much fun.

Tailwind
1/17/2007, 10:43 PM
Best wishes for her recovery and that she makes it through the trip.

OKC-SLC
1/17/2007, 11:30 PM
My thoughts are with you and your family. Sounds as if she's been in good hands out there.

olevetonahill
1/17/2007, 11:49 PM
Prayers with you and your Family .
My last ex had a brain thing blow out , as far as I know shes back to being the same as she was befor

yermom
1/18/2007, 02:17 AM
it's kind of a coincidence that you brought it up though. it was last year about halfway through the tOSU/UT game that i got a call from the highway patrol about my dad. i've been thinking about it a lot lately.

he's doing much better, especially considering that he was dead on the scene and had multiple head injuries. i would say he's probably 80% recovered, and still improving.

i don't think i ever saw this post man, hope he's still coming along

glad to hear your aunt is recovering as well TD2K

Newbomb Turk
1/18/2007, 07:43 AM
done - you got it TD.

TopDaugIn2000
1/18/2007, 07:48 AM
Prayers with you and your Family .
My last ex had a brain thing blow out , as far as I know shes back to being the same as she was befor

we all know she'll never be THE SAME, but at least she knows what's going on, can communicate, walk a little, etc. Much more than we expected.