PDA

View Full Version : THE OFFICIAL QB RECRUITING THREAD

Pages : [1] 2

KingDavid
9/8/2006, 04:40 PM
Trying to consolidate the data, here. As of 9/8/06 we're looking at the following targets (in no particular order):

1) Stephen Garcia
2) Joe Chaisson
3) Kodi Burns
4) Mike Greco

Is John Brantley on our radar? I've seen conflicting reports on this.

Anyone else on the radar that I've missed?

The Consumate Showman
9/8/2006, 04:53 PM
There have been some new names I've heard in the last 48 hours, but I can't be sayin' anything just yet.

Brantley's on the radar, but as to how much is yet to be determined. I've heard a lot of RUMORS at this point but nothing that makes me feel we have a legit shot at him just yet. Maybe in the coming months and if we prove to him and his family that we still have the whorns number???....The one thing I do know about Brantley is that he is a great QB and should make a star where ever he ends up.

I think you can probably drop Joe Chaisson off your list (we seem to have cooled on him), but Garcia/Burns/Greco are accurate...for now...

KingDavid
9/8/2006, 07:27 PM
There have been some new names I've heard in the last 48 hours, but I can't be sayin' anything just yet.

Brantley's on the radar, but as to how much is yet to be determined. I've heard a lot of RUMORS at this point but nothing that makes me feel we have a legit shot at him just yet. Maybe in the coming months and if we prove to him and his family that we still have the whorns number???....The one thing I do know about Brantley is that he is a great QB and should make a star where ever he ends up.

I think you can probably drop Joe Chaisson off your list (we seem to have cooled on him), but Garcia/Burns/Greco are accurate...for now...

Eager to hear the new names whenever you feel it's good to share . . .

KingDavid
9/8/2006, 08:45 PM
OK. I think we need to add this one to the list. Check out that 40 split.

Cade Cooper

Dual-threat quarterback
Ephraim (UT) Snow College

Ht: 6-foot-3
Wt: 195 lbs
Forty: 4.5 secs
GPA: 3.25
Class: 2007 (Junior College - Dec Grad)

KingDavid
9/8/2006, 08:46 PM
OK. I think we need to add this one to the list. Check out that 40 split.

Cade Cooper

Dual-threat quarterback
Ephraim (UT) Snow College

Ht: 6-foot-3
Wt: 195 lbs
Forty: 4.5 secs
GPA: 3.25
Class: 2007 (Junior College - Dec Grad)

Note that he's a December grad and could be in camp for the Spring. Can you say, Heupel II?

The Consumate Showman
9/8/2006, 09:26 PM
Your hot.

FroggyStyle22
9/8/2006, 10:26 PM
Your hot.

Are you hitting on him?

The Consumate Showman
9/9/2006, 08:59 AM
Are you hitting on him?

Heh. Good one.

GDC
9/9/2006, 02:31 PM
James Hale said one of those guys runs a 4.3 100.:eek:

Rogue
9/10/2006, 12:25 AM
Snow JC has been good to us.

The Consumate Showman
9/10/2006, 01:21 AM
that they have, maybe third times a charm....

OklahomaTuba
9/10/2006, 02:16 AM
Any chance we can stay away from the highly recruited types from now on? ;)

Mjcpr
9/10/2006, 11:59 AM
Any chance we can stay away from the highly recruited types from now on? ;)

Not too many folks are after that 5'9" kid from Sulphur, maybe we could get him.

KingDavid
9/10/2006, 03:51 PM
Not too many folks are after that 5'9" kid from Sulphur, maybe we could get him.

I'm 6'4", 265 and run a show-stopping 4.4 (in the 20). I have a 42 vertical (cm). I can throw it 60 on a rope (feet). Although I'm just under 35, I have all four years of eligibility. And I've received absolutely no attention from any recruiters.

The Consumate Showman
9/11/2006, 12:27 AM
I'm 6'4", 265 and run a show-stopping 4.4 (in the 20). I have a 42 vertical (cm). I can throw it 60 on a rope (feet). Although I'm just under 35, I have all four years of eligibility. And I've received absolutely no attention from any recruiters.

Alright Chris Weinke.....

BIG_IKE
9/12/2006, 11:54 AM
We do need a QB..and fast.

BIG_IKE
9/12/2006, 11:55 AM
Actually..Demetrius Woods of Houston Lamar would not be a ba dchoice.

The Consumate Showman
9/12/2006, 12:35 PM
Did any of you hear the animal this morning when Hale and BBJ had Mike Greco on interview? It went something like this:
Animal: "Mike, what kind of speed do you possess/when was the last time you were clocked?"
MG: "When I first came to Pearl River I was clocked at a 4.426, but I feel that I am always a legit 4.3 guy all the time. I will use my legs sometimes but I'm not going to be a runner. I use my speed to get out of the pocket or scramble if I need to.
Animal: "What interest do you have in OU if you have any interest at all?"
MG: "I have a lot of interest in OU right now. They are number 1."
Animal: "So Mike, what schools are in on you right now?"
MG: "OU...."
Animal: "Any others?"
MG: "No...not right now."
Animal: "So, wht are schools are you dealing with right now?"
MG: "OU....."
Animal: "Mike, what schools are you interested in and what schools are interested in you right now?"
Animal (after Mike goes off air):
BBJ:"Well James, it seems like OU is leading right now with Mike...uhhh...what other schools do you know of are interested in him?"
Hale: "Well, all of the Mississippi schools know about him and are interested in him and there are a ton of other schools looking at him as well right now and breaking down his tape, but it sure sounds like Mike is really interested in OU."

I'll tell you what guys, after I heard that interview, it sounds to me like Mike is wanting to come here. At least that's what it SOUNDED like on the radio. A lot of awkward moments of silence when Mike would just say, "Uhh, just OU right now." James and BBJ seemed to be waiting for him to throw out some schools for them and he didn't at all...

SgtSooner
9/12/2006, 01:31 PM
Can anyone give me the background & stats on this Mike Greco kid?

The Consumate Showman
9/12/2006, 02:01 PM
Can anyone give me the background & stats on this Mike Greco kid?

See here:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77321

snp
9/12/2006, 07:40 PM
Actually..Demetrius Woods of Houston Lamar would not be a ba dchoice.

Being recruited by KU, UTEP, Utah, and UH as a WR. I think I'll pass.

KingDavid
9/13/2006, 01:43 AM
Did any of you hear the animal this morning when Hale and BBJ had Mike Greco on interview? It went something like this:
Animal: "Mike, what kind of speed do you possess/when was the last time you were clocked?"
MG: "When I first came to Pearl River I was clocked at a 4.426, but I feel that I am always a legit 4.3 guy all the time. I will use my legs sometimes but I'm not going to be a runner. I use my speed to get out of the pocket or scramble if I need to.
Animal: "What interest do you have in OU if you have any interest at all?"
MG: "I have a lot of interest in OU right now. They are number 1."
Animal: "So Mike, what schools are in on you right now?"
MG: "OU...."
Animal: "Any others?"
MG: "No...not right now."
Animal: "So, wht are schools are you dealing with right now?"
Animal: "Mike, what schools are you interested in and what schools are interested in you right now?"
Animal (after Mike goes off air):
BBJ:"Well James, it seems like OU is leading right now with Mike...uhhh...what other schools do you know of are interested in him?"
Hale: "Well, all of the Mississippi schools know about him and are interested in him and there are a ton of other schools looking at him as well right now and breaking down his tape, but it sure sounds like Mike is really interested in OU."

I'll tell you what guys, after I heard that interview, it sounds to me like Mike is wanting to come here. At least that's what it SOUNDED like on the radio. A lot of awkward moments of silence when Mike would just say, "Uhh, just OU right now." James and BBJ seemed to be waiting for him to throw out some schools for them and he didn't at all...

not to neg the kid . . . but he did bail on NC State AFTER being slotted third string. i don't think we're looking at all world talent . . . unless he really emerges this year playing JUCO. He's certainly on a strong squad.

I think it's wise of the OU staff to position itself strongly for this kid in the even that he really does start to let his ability catch up to his game-day performance. A 4.3 QB with his height and arm is a diamond . . . but with him, it's a diamond very much in the rough. We don't have the time to polish it. Our offers this year have to go to fellas who can come in, right now, and be ready to play . . . a la Huypel.

The Consumate Showman
9/13/2006, 09:02 AM
Well, I think OU is just trying to make an early impression on this kid just in case he is the real deal. I know he bolted from NC State and Mike's story is that they got a new OC (?) and that when the new guy got there, Mike just wasn't HIS guy and Mike felt like he wasn't given a fair shake to try and gain the starting spot (this all per animal interview). Who knows. This kid wasn't a blimp on the radar when he was in high school and his highlight film isn't really that imprssive. But having said that, he COULD have grown up and developed his skills...only time will tell.

For me, if I was on the coaching staff, I would be looking for a guy that could come in at semester and go through Spring drills with the team. That's why i think we should be listening for anythig about this Snow JUCO QB - Cade Cooper. He MIGHT be the answer we're looking for...

The Consumate Showman
9/13/2006, 09:06 AM
Oh, and the main reason I posted the interview thing with Mike and BBJ and Hale is because I thought it was really funny. BBJ and Hale didn't know what to do with Mike. It sounded like they hadn't ever done an interview before in their lives. There were a lot of awkward moments in there. I did not post it for reasons of me thinking MG was going to be our QB next year. He just sounds like he wants to come to OU per his interview.

soonerthanu
9/13/2006, 06:13 PM
Found this link on a diff site

http://www.tbo.com/sports/prepsports/

The Consumate Showman
9/13/2006, 09:37 PM
Garcia is a good prospect, but the question is going to come down to what our staff wants to do.

They ARE going to get a JUCO QB. The only problem is that Tabon and Malcolm Williams are going to take up 2 schollys against this class and if we somehow get Patterson to come back...AGAIN...

I don;t know if the coaches are going to want to bring in a HS QB that might take another year-year and a half to develop and bring along when they can get an extra OL, WR, DL in a HS QB place instead. Also, you have to think that Garcia and other HS QB's might see us having 2 JUCOs and a red shirt frosh QB and going after another QB in '08 and think, "well, I don;t want to wait around forever..."

It's a tricky situation this year to say the least...

Sooner in Tampa
9/14/2006, 06:25 AM
Garcia is a good prospect, but the question is going to come down to what our staff wants to do.

I don;t know if the coaches are going to want to bring in a HS QB that might take another year-year and a half to develop and bring along when they can get an extra OL, WR, DL in a HS QB place instead. Also, you have to think that Garcia and other HS QB's might see us having 2 JUCOs and a red shirt frosh QB and going after another QB in '08 and think, "well, I don;t want to wait around forever..."

It's a tricky situation this year to say the least...
OK...her is the deal with Garcia. He is a lean towards South Carolina...they have been recruiting him the longest. He really like Spurrier and some Coach named Reaves. My daughter even laughed at the fact that Stephen was sporting a Carolina shirt at school on Wed. Whatever that means...the deal with Carolina is they have a true frosh named Chris Smelly who threw 59 TD's his senior year in HS. Does Garcia want to go and fight that battle???

I doubt that he is very serious about Florida...they have the all-world frosh Tebow.

That leaves us...and how hard to we go after Garcia. I get the impression that he is leaving his options open, he has not scheduled any official visits yet...per his blog

As far as recruiting and all that. I have been talking to coaches still, but not a whole lot. I’ve been very focused on this year. I have talked to Coach Reaves from South Carolina about an official visit and a couple other schools. I’m not sure when I will be taking them however.
I do agree that it depends on what OUr staff wants to do...Garcia seems like he is ripe for the picking...IF we want him.

The Consumate Showman
9/14/2006, 08:41 AM
^

agreed.

Ash
9/14/2006, 10:08 AM
Great thread guys. Thanks for the updates and info!

mrowl
9/19/2006, 09:51 AM
I am guessing that there is still no good news in the QB area?

The Consumate Showman
9/19/2006, 12:18 PM

There has been some more talk and chatter about Cade Cooper, but nothing BIG yet....stilll waiting...

snp
9/19/2006, 01:57 PM

This is a pretty dull point in recruiting season. No major ways to gauge the kids interest unless he takes an OV or something.

Don't expect much big news for a while.

The Consumate Showman
9/19/2006, 09:18 PM
Corey Wilson will be at the MTSU game this weekend on an official. Other than that....

Oh, Corey is thinking about looking and going to K-State for an official visit, why I don't know...I guess he's wanting to get in some officials before he commits. I don't have a problem with it...more power to him...

BmrSnr11
9/21/2006, 03:19 PM
Suggest you check out Tyler JC Quarterback John David Weed.
6'5" & 223lbs - 4.57 40 time.

Leads NJCAA in passing with 965 yds & 10 TD's after 4 games! Strong arm and highly mobile.

Check out highlight clips on Rivals site!!

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=56749

VERY impressive!!

stoopified
9/21/2006, 04:42 PM
If we don't get in a stud QB,is there any chance Box from Enid gets a shot at QB?

snp
9/21/2006, 06:04 PM
We already have Halzle and Bradford to play QB. Both are more highly regarded than Box.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/22/2006, 09:03 AM
Suggest you check out Tyler JC Quarterback John David Weed.

Judging by name alone I'd say he's a much better fit for Texas... ;)

OklahomaTuba
9/24/2006, 11:09 AM
Weed? Oh lord.

I wonder if his mom's name is Mary Jane?

KingDavid
9/24/2006, 11:35 PM
If we don't get in a stud QB,is there any chance Box from Enid gets a shot at QB?

The footage I've seen makes him a defensive stud, without question . . . but a questionable quarterback. He makes great plays with his feet, and can throw it; but makes too many poor decisions with where he throws the ball. I think he's had multiple picks in all of his games so far this year.

snp
9/25/2006, 01:32 AM
Stoops was in Florida watching Brantley on Friday.

Desert Sapper
9/25/2006, 01:42 AM
I wonder where Brantley stands if we beat saxet in two weeks? It would be great to bring him in and have him competing for the job in another year. I don't think a true frosh is the right answer no matter who it is. I had heard that he doesn't want to start right away, anyway. Anybody know how much truth there is to the rumor that Bob has a close personal tie to the Brantley family?

Sooner in Tampa
9/25/2006, 07:17 AM
Stoops was in Florida watching Brantley on Friday.Really? If that is the case, he must really want Brantley...it would sure make for a long weekend to fly to Florida for Friday night game and then fly back and get ready for Saturdays game.

snp
9/25/2006, 01:06 PM
Well, we were playing MTSU. The game was decided about a week before it was played.

Harry Beanbag
9/25/2006, 02:58 PM
hornfans is down

Herr Scholz
9/25/2006, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up on this one, fellas. He and his father seem to be super impressed with Austin as well as Mack Brown and the UT program. Could he change his mind? Sure but I wouldn't bet on it.

snp
9/25/2006, 04:21 PM
He's also coming in behind a RS-Freshman starter and a very well heralded freshman QB.

Both guys at Texxas are probably better than either guys we have here at OU. It'd be much easier to start for the guy.

How concerned is he about PT?

Herr Scholz
9/25/2006, 04:26 PM
Oh, I'm sure we'll lose somebody. We have 3 scholly QBs this year and are adding 2 more next year. Although, 2 of those guys (John Chiles and Sherrod Harris) could play elsewhere. I bet we lose Snead to transfer if I had to guess right now. Who knows. It's a long time until Feb.

I think Brantley is our future though.

KingDavid
9/25/2006, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up on this one, fellas. He and his father seem to be super impressed with Austin as well as Mack Brown and the UT program. Could he change his mind? Sure but I wouldn't bet on it.

Golly, Herr. I'm sure you're right. We ought not get our hopes up. We should probably write to Coach Stoops and tell him to avoid making those out-of-state trips when we really have no chance. He is awefully silly that way.

But then again, perhaps we ought to trust his instincts. I mean, a NC after two years. Incredible recruiting every year. An unquestionable, barely blemished record against all the Texas schools. Perhaps we ought to take those things into consideration.

Perhaps you actually are very concerned that such a trip occurred? Perhaps you are distressed that "the future" of the program might be migrating North?

Perhaps you are mouthing your words as you read this post?:D

snp
9/25/2006, 06:54 PM
Oh, I'm sure we'll lose somebody. We have 3 scholly QBs this year and are adding 2 more next year. Although, 2 of those guys (John Chiles and Sherrod Harris) could play elsewhere. I bet we lose Snead to transfer if I had to guess right now. Who knows. It's a long time until Feb.

I think Brantley is our future though.

I was already conceeding that Chiles and Harris are moving to another position. Mainly because I never want to see Chiles underneathe center, unless he still can't throw worth a damn.

I really didn't even think of Snead transferring since he enrolled early. You don't think he can surplant Colt by next year? Looks to be a good prospect.

southern sooner
9/25/2006, 10:46 PM
Would love to see Snead jump ship and join the sooners...

The Consumate Showman
9/25/2006, 11:53 PM
If...If Mack can pull his head out of his rear and make a decision on a starter, I think Snead will end up being the man and Colt will stay put.

You have to admit Herr, that 2-QB system crap that Mack has tried in the past NEVER seems to work out for the best, right? Personally, I think that Mack is a good coach, but like all coaches he has his downfalls. It seems to me, a non-fan glancing in at the UT program, that Mack is just too much of a softy. Too many pats on the back...

But Herr, I DO think that you should at LEAST be a little worried about Brantley. I know you won't believe me, but trust me when I say he is taking a look North of the 40 acres. And yes, I am going off of a substantial person. Now, whether or not he actually follows through with it something that will have to be waited on. Don't make light of the fact that Bob P E R S O N A L L Y knows the Brantley's from before his OU days.

Also, remember, you guys "stole", if you want to call it that, Sims from rocky top...could there be a little karma coming UT's way??? We'll just have to wait and see.

KingDavid
9/26/2006, 12:08 AM
Also, remember, you guys "stole", if you want to call it that, Sims from rocky top...could there be a little karma coming UT's way??? We'll just have to wait and see.

Dude. If that's the kind of karma involved, we need to avoid this kid like the plague.

I'd say texas already got what they had coming to them from Chrissy himself . . .:D

The Consumate Showman
9/26/2006, 08:53 AM
Dude. If that's the kind of karma involved, we need to avoid this kid like the plague.

I'd say texas already got what they had coming to them from Chrissy himself . . .:D

I know, I know. But you have to think of it in terms of potential down the line. I mean, he is Phil Sims kid...nuff said. If would have been anything close to his dad, everyone in college football would have been in trouble. Just be glad that Chrissy wasn't ever near as smart as his dad. It's like Rocky Top and the Rebs getting the Manning boys...sometimes, every once in a while, you will have these kids with good bloodlines/backgrounds that prospective teams feel can really boost their programs. Chrissy was just a failed experiment, but you know that if OU could have got him, they would have. Brantley is a HELL of an athlete and a damn good QB, probably the best I've seen on film this year. If we can steal him away...it would be H U G E...just ask Herr...

Herr Scholz
9/26/2006, 10:15 AM
I would definitely hate to lose Brantley. He's an absolute stud. Does OU have a chance at getting him? Of course. You have a great program and your depth chart vs. ours as well as the relationship with Stoops are advantages. I'm just saying don't bet the farm on it, that's all. He and his father already have a great relationship with Mack and his staff as well. Will I follow his recruiting very closely all year? Definitely.

As far as a 2-QB system, we don't have that. Colt is the man. Mack's made that very clear. Snead's simply getting mop up duty because he's our only scholarship backup right now.

The Consumate Showman
9/26/2006, 12:12 PM
As far as a 2-QB system, we don't have that. Colt is the man. Mack's made that very clear. Snead's simply getting mop up duty because he's our only scholarship backup right now.

Yes, but what happens if, IF, in the RRS OU starts to romp on UT and Colt is throwing int after int? I think Mack would definitely put in Snead, because, let's face it Herr, whoever wind the RRS is more than likely going to be playing for a Big XII champ and about $14 million dollars in a BCS game.

Here's the key for OU: if PT stays helathy, our team and our season stays healthy with it.

Oh, btw Herr, I meant to ask you, are Robison and Young both going to be out for the RRS?

Herr Scholz
9/26/2006, 01:11 PM
Yes, but what happens if, IF, in the RRS OU starts to romp on UT and Colt is throwing int after int? I think Mack would definitely put in Snead, because, let's face it Herr, whoever wind the RRS is more than likely going to be playing for a Big XII champ and about $14 million dollars in a BCS game.
I think Mack learned his lesson with the Applewhite/Simms drama. The winner of our game will definitely be the Big XII champ. No doubt about it.

Here's the key for OU: if PT stays helathy, our team and our season stays healthy with it.
He's been impressing me of late.

Oh, btw Herr, I meant to ask you, are Robison and Young both going to be out for the RRS?
They'll both play. Robison's injury was simply a bruised patellar tendon and quadricep (no structural damage) and Selvin has sore ribs.

KingDavid
9/26/2006, 01:40 PM
I know, I know. But you have to think of it in terms of potential down the line. I mean, he is Phil Sims kid...nuff said. If would have been anything close to his dad, everyone in college football would have been in trouble. Just be glad that Chrissy wasn't ever near as smart as his dad. It's like Rocky Top and the Rebs getting the Manning boys...sometimes, every once in a while, you will have these kids with good bloodlines/backgrounds that prospective teams feel can really boost their programs. Chrissy was just a failed experiment, but you know that if OU could have got him, they would have. Brantley is a HELL of an athlete and a damn good QB, probably the best I've seen on film this year. If we can steal him away...it would be H U G E...just ask Herr...

It was just a joke on the karma thing. I'd love to get him. I think if we don't get someone of his caliber, that we'll end up bringing in a JUCO - the best we can get. There are some good ones out there who will have a season to distinguish themselves.

We need someone capable of taking the field right away, IMO. Do you think we might offer two QB's - one JUCO (ready-made) and one HS (development, most likely).

I don't want to suffer through another freshman year learning curve if we can avoid it.

The Consumate Showman
9/26/2006, 03:18 PM
We need someone capable of taking the field right away, IMO. Do you think we might offer two QB's - one JUCO (ready-made) and one HS (development, most likely).

I don't want to suffer through another freshman year learning curve if we can avoid it.

I think we will sign a JUCO no matter what and personally, from what I know, I think it will be Cade Cooper...not because of Heupel, but because he really is a good talent at the QB position.

The question will be seeing if we can get a high caliber high school guy this year or not, a la Brantley, Burns, Garcia. If we can't get one of those three (and realistically speaking, Burns, I believe, is going to be a Auburn Tiger) then we might not sign a HS QB. A lot has been made of Gerald Jones, but I expect him to go to TT and also, a guy that has fallen off the radar is/was Joe Chaisson who we were apparently really evaluating intensely and then just stopped...I think we have cooled on Joe and some others for some particular reasons that should show themselves around the time of the RRS...;)

The Consumate Showman
9/26/2006, 03:26 PM
I would definitely hate to lose Brantley. He's an absolute stud. Does OU have a chance at getting him? Of course. You have a great program and your depth chart vs. ours as well as the relationship with Stoops are advantages. I'm just saying don't bet the farm on it, that's all. He and his father already have a great relationship with Mack and his staff as well. Will I follow his recruiting very closely all year? Definitely.

Herr, I would venture a guess that you periodically make stops at orangebloods? Personally, I go there from time to time just to see if there's any news on some of the recruiting stuff that's going on right now. But let me say this, I think Ketchum is keeping you guys n the dark to some degree. I DO NOT think he is giving the subscribers of orangebloods his real thoughts and/or not telling everything he thinks/feels/knows about some of the situations right now.

Now, maybe he is. I'm not going to pretend that I know him personally or that I have ever talked to the man. But things are really starting to swirl right now.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2006, 04:49 PM
Herr, I would venture a guess that you periodically make stops at orangebloods? Personally, I go there from time to time just to see if there's any news on some of the recruiting stuff that's going on right now. But let me say this, I think Ketchum is keeping you guys n the dark to some degree. I DO NOT think he is giving the subscribers of orangebloods his real thoughts and/or not telling everything he thinks/feels/knows about some of the situations right now.
You could be right. He does cater to the diehard Longhorn fans. A lot of those recruiting gurus just tell the faithful what they want to hear. It helps their business of selling subscriptions to their newsletters and "insider" info.

Having said that, I think Ketch is pretty reliable and objective. He called the Perriloux situation months before that kid decommited.

Would it surprise me if Brantley went to OU? Not in the least. If you gave me some truth serum, I'd probably say I would go there if I were him due to our respective depth charts. Of course I really want him to come to UT so don't tell him I said that. ;)

The Consumate Showman
9/26/2006, 09:33 PM
You could be right. He does cater to the diehard Longhorn fans. A lot of those recruiting gurus just tell the faithful what they want to hear. It helps their business of selling subscriptions to their newsletters and "insider" info.

VERY true there.

Having said that, I think Ketch is pretty reliable and objective. He called the Perriloux situation months before that kid decommited.

I think a lot of people could see the writing on the walls for this jackass.

Would it surprise me if Brantley went to OU? Not in the least. If you gave me some truth serum, I'd probably say I would go there if I were him due to our respective depth charts. Of course I really want him to come to UT so don't tell him I said that.

Finally, an honest horn.

In my mind here is why we WILL get Brantley:
1) depth issues at QB
2) talent level of prospective QB's on roster
3) Experience " "
4) The chance to play at a top tier program right away
5) Relationship w/Coach Stoops

Reasons we DO NOT get Brantley:
1) Relationship built w/ Mack and the UT program
2) UT being fresh off of a NC year
3) Austin vs. Norman...( I hate to say it, but as far as things to do... )
4) OU is just too late due to Bomargate
5) He's been commited...how much of " a man of his word" is he?

Does the UT loss to tosu and subsequently, more than likely, being taken out of NC title hopes hurt? Does a loss for UT in Dallas hurt as well? Time will tell...Either way, somebody is going to get what looks like a freakin' good QB.

KingDavid
9/27/2006, 10:32 PM

Would it surprise me if Brantley went to OU? Not in the least. If you gave me some truth serum, I'd probably say I would go there if I were him due to our respective depth charts. Of course I really want him to come to UT so don't tell him I said that. ;)

Herr, I just made up my mind that I like you and will pay attention to what you write from here on out. Spek to you, sir.

goingoneight
9/28/2006, 09:09 PM
I have four years of eligibility just in case these recruits Duck us over. ;)

mizzOUstu702
9/29/2006, 04:14 PM
Fresh from Rivals:

With the Sooners off this week, Oklahoma's assistant coaches will head out all over the country to scout prospects. Coach Bob Stoops made a stop in Florida to check out five-star quarterback John Brantley. The 6-foot-3, 190-pounder has said through his father that he's still committed to Texas, but it appears OU will try to pursue him still.

Fingers crossed.

The Consumate Showman
9/29/2006, 10:12 PM
Fresh from Rivals:

Fingers crossed.

Can't post premium stuff on here man. Specualtive at best anyway...

mizzOUstu702
10/1/2006, 05:43 PM
Can't post premium stuff on here man. Specualtive at best anyway...

Well lucky for me, it's not premium. It's open to the public as a preview. Good try though.

The Consumate Showman
10/2/2006, 09:36 AM
Well lucky for me, it's not premium. It's open to the public as a preview. Good try though.

Nice. What class. Plus, you must not realize the potential fall out of posting info about Brantley right now. Good JOB!

KingDavid
10/3/2006, 04:25 PM
On a different note . . .

It crossed my mind last night that there are five "recruiters" who could make an extremely compelling case for us to haul in a top-notch quarterback recruit this year. Those five people would be the starting offensive line. Not just those starters, but really the whole unit. But you get the point.

It would be awesome to see the line really come together and dominate as the season progresses. That would be a major difference-maker for me, since they are all so young (except for Messner).

KingDavid
10/21/2006, 10:07 PM
Anything new on the QB front to report. I can't believe that Brantley is going to stay with Texass now that Colt continues to impress. He would be a fool not to come have a look at us.

Same goes for Newton with Tebow at Florida. I don't get these punks, some times.

Sooner in Tampa
10/22/2006, 08:07 PM
Here is what Stephen Garcia has accomplished on the field as of Friday night

TAMPA - After 10 years, a new name sits atop the Hillsborough County career passing list.
Jefferson senior quarterback Stephen Garcia broke former Tampa Catholic standout Kenny Kelly's record of 7,486 yards set in 1996 with a 13-yard completion to tight end Byron McLeod early in the third quarter of the Dragons' 68-0 win against Sickles on Friday night.
Garcia was pulled after Jefferson's first possession of the second half. But before he left, Garcia put on an aerial show, completing 18 of 26 passes for 411 yards and seven touchdowns.
Garcia now has 7,524 yards passing with one regular-season game and at least one playoff game remaining.
"It means a lot to me to break Kenny Kelly's record. It's an amazing feeling," Garcia said. "The record's big and I'm happy about it, but it's not one of my goals I set before the season. My biggest goal is still out there - to win state."
Garcia, who has 78 career touchdown passes, also is poised to break former Robinson star Marcello Trigg's county mark of 82. Ironically, Kelly held the record (76) until Trigg broke it last season.
"Kenny came up to me after I broke his record and had a big smile on his face and said, 'Congratulations. Now go break that other record,'" said Garcia, who has South Carolina as his top college choice, followed by Oklahoma, Auburn, Ole Miss and Florida.
Garcia's touchdown tosses covered 11, 45, 21, 47, 26, 20 and 20 yards. In a two-minute span late in the first quarter, he threw scoring passes on three consecutive snaps.
On three of Sickles' first four possessions, the Gryphons (0-9) went for it on fourth-and-4 and attempted fake punts on fourth-and-9 and fourth-and-14 deep in their territory.
To counter what the Dragons (8-1) perceived as an attempt to prevent Garcia from breaking the record, Jefferson started attempting onside kicks and pooch kicks after it scored.
But none of that could take away from Garcia's special night.
"I'm very proud of Stephen," said Dragons coach Mike Fenton, who was TC's offensive coordinator when Kelly set the record. "Those were a lot of yards. And to break that record is such a great accomplishment."
I honestly believe if we let this kid go it is a mistake. Carolina has an a pretty good Frosh that is seeing playing time and the fruit is ripe for the picking if we just put forth a little bit of effort.

snp
10/22/2006, 08:14 PM
On three of Sickles' first four possessions, the Gryphons (0-9) went for it on fourth-and-4 and attempted fake punts on fourth-and-9 and fourth-and-14 deep in their territory.
To counter what the Dragons (8-1) perceived as an attempt to prevent Garcia from breaking the record, Jefferson started attempting onside kicks and pooch kicks after it scored.

That's some scandulous stuff right thar.

OklahomaTuba
10/22/2006, 09:13 PM
WTF is a Gryphon???

Harry Beanbag
10/22/2006, 09:20 PM
WTF is a Gryphon???

http://www.itpremium.com/portfolio/2dgraphics/gryphon.jpg

snp
10/22/2006, 10:00 PM
Looks like Bunting got axed at UNC. Now Paulus needs to jump ship too.

OklahomaTuba
10/23/2006, 12:57 PM
http://www.itpremium.com/portfolio/2dgraphics/gryphon.jpg

Cool, thanks! I didn't know thats what those things were called.

I think I had some in a diner in new mexico, near los cruses. Didn't sit to well with me if I remember right.

Harry Beanbag
10/23/2006, 03:44 PM
Tastes like chicken.

OklahomaTuba
10/23/2006, 04:46 PM
Nah, more like hippogryph, just without the bald eagle texture and grissle.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 10:58 AM
On a different note . . .

It crossed my mind last night that there are five "recruiters" who could make an extremely compelling case for us to haul in a top-notch quarterback recruit this year. Those five people would be the starting offensive line. Not just those starters, but really the whole unit. But you get the point.

It would be awesome to see the line really come together and dominate as the season progresses. That would be a major difference-maker for me, since they are all so young (except for Messner).

For those who didn't hear the call by Brent Musberger (it was him, right?), he basically said this same exact thing. I can't remember the exact words, but it was something like, "Pay attention top notch high school quarterbacks, this is going to be a GREAT place to come and play, with the young, all star receivers and incredible, young offensive line . . ."

Nice to see Musberger have some nice things to say.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 11:06 AM
Trying to consolidate the data, here. As of 9/8/06 we're looking at the following targets (in no particular order):

1) Stephen Garcia
2) Joe Chaisson
3) Kodi Burns
4) Mike Greco

Is John Brantley on our radar? I've seen conflicting reports on this.

Anyone else on the radar that I've missed?

Amending this to reflect what I believe represents the top guys on the board:

High School:
- Brantley (if we can pull him from a strong verbal to Texas)
- Garcia (if we can pull him away from a strong lean to South Carolina)
- Chaisson (I think we get him if we offer him)

JUCO
- Zach Lee - stud out of SF community
- Cade Cooper - maybe if we don't get Lee
- Mike Greco - any word here? He tests well . . . but suspect play.

My money is on Zach Lee and Chaisson. If we can get Garcia or Brantley to come, then Chaisson is out.

You could make a case that we won't offer a HS player if we don't get Garcia or Brantley (Blue Chips) . . . but Chaisson is an athlete and can play other positions but still compete at QB.

Anyone have something else to add? subtract?

snp
10/30/2006, 11:21 AM
I'd throw in John David Weed from Juco and Paulus, who comitted to UNC but is wavering a little bit.

The Consumate Showman
10/30/2006, 12:32 PM
Amending this to reflect what I believe represents the top guys on the board:

High School:
- Brantley (if we can pull him from a strong verbal to Texas)
- Garcia (if we can pull him away from a strong lean to South Carolina)
- Chaisson (I think we get him if we offer him)

JUCO
- Zach Lee - stud out of SF community
- Cade Cooper - maybe if we don't get Lee
- Mike Greco - any word here? He tests well . . . but suspect play.

My money is on Zach Lee and Chaisson. If we can get Garcia or Brantley to come, then Chaisson is out.

You could make a case that we won't offer a HS player if we don't get Garcia or Brantley (Blue Chips) . . . but Chaisson is an athlete and can play other positions but still compete at QB.

Anyone have something else to add? subtract?

Let me give you the inside track on this right now.

HS QB's are going to go down like this:

1 & 1 - yes, it's going to be a close race, but whoever commits first will be the one we take and from the looks of things it looks like it will be the second guy listed.
1a) Brantley
1b) Garrett Lee, Brenham, Texas I think...
2) and an outside shot, the "dark Horse"- Stephen Garcia

Supposedly, Chaisson is no longer in the picture.

JUCO QB's should fall this way.

1) Zach Lee. I think we have a R E A L good shot at him. He seems to be the best prospect out there now that these JUCO's have had some time to play some games.
2) Possibly Weed from Texas. Not likely
3) Savage from Kansas...(Coffeyville I believe)

So, what happened to Cade Cooper? Let me tell you what a JUCO recruiter told me 2 weeks ago. "...he is basically an interception waiting to happen. I don't feel as though he could make it at a big time program like OU. He has the arm for it, but just seems like he can't make the right reads."

As far as Greco, he is hurt and didn't put in enough playing time for Stoops to risk a scholly on a kid that might not turn out to be what you hope for.

Honestly, my thoughts are that we get Lee & Lee. I think Brantley is making too big of a deal out of the fact that he has already committed and there are things flying around that he puts a lot into the fact that he committed to them and is having a hard time changing his mind and breaking his "word". i just think that Lee will more than likely commit faster and take the HS QB spot.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 12:38 PM
I'd throw in John David Weed from Juco and Paulus, who comitted to UNC but is wavering a little bit.

Paulus is interesting. Although his mug-shot looks like he's in 6th grade!:D

snp
10/30/2006, 12:45 PM
I don't really see Lee decommitting from LSU. But hey, that's what makes this recruiting thing so much fun.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 12:50 PM
Let me give you the inside track on this right now.

HS QB's are going to go down like this:

1 & 1 - yes, it's going to be a close race, but whoever commits first will be the one we take and from the looks of things it looks like it will be the second guy listed.
1a) Brantley
1b) Garrett Lee, Brenham, Texas I think...
2) and an outside shot, the "dark Horse"- Stephen Garcia

Supposedly, Chaisson is no longer in the picture.

JUCO QB's should fall this way.

1) Zach Lee. I think we have a R E A L good shot at him. He seems to be the best prospect out there now that these JUCO's have had some time to play some games.
2) Possibly Weed from Texas. Not likely
3) Savage from Kansas...(Coffeyville I believe)

So, what happened to Cade Cooper? Let me tell you what a JUCO recruiter told me 2 weeks ago. "...he is basically an interception waiting to happen. I don't feel as though he could make it at a big time program like OU. He has the arm for it, but just seems like he can't make the right reads."

As far as Greco, he is hurt and didn't put in enough playing time for Stoops to risk a scholly on a kid that might not turn out to be what you hope for.

Honestly, my thoughts are that we get Lee & Lee. I think Brantley is making too big of a deal out of the fact that he has already committed and there are things flying around that he puts a lot into the fact that he committed to them and is having a hard time changing his mind and breaking his "word". i just think that Lee will more than likely commit faster and take the HS QB spot.

Thanks. I didn't realize Chaisson was out of the picture and had not heard anything on the Lee kid from Brenham.

RedStripe
10/30/2006, 01:08 PM
Zach Lee is exactly what we need for next year. Also he has 3 years left to play.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 01:32 PM
Zach Lee is exactly what we need for next year. Also he has 3 years left to play.

me agree.

Sooner in Tampa
10/30/2006, 04:20 PM
I still think if OU presses and gets an official visit...Garcia will be OUrs. The cocks and gators both have freshmen QB's that rule and are getting playing time already.

Josh can make it happen...Plus, I will make sure the next time I see him, I will put in a good word.

The Consumate Showman
10/31/2006, 09:50 AM
I don't really see Lee decommitting from LSU. But hey, that's what makes this recruiting thing so much fun.

From what I've heard, Jarett committed to LSU early in the recruiting process and now he is rethinking things a bit. It has been said by people, that I will not name, that he is going to open back up his recruiting after his high school season is over and make some official visits to other schools...the first one being OU. I think what has happened is the same thing that is happening with Brantley. Jarett has looked over LSU's depth chart and sees the opportunity to play at OU MUCH earlier and it is very intruiging. Remember, it wasn't until Bomargate that we needed to recruit a QB and when it happened, most of these "high profile/highly ranked" QB's had already committed to other schools or had already set up their top 5 teams with OU not being in any of them.

The reason I think Brantley won't come to OU is becasue everyone says that he would have a B I G problem with breaking his committement to UT because he is a "man of his word" and he doesn't want to break his word. And, even though this keeps getting said about Brantley, I still think there is a chance, a small one mind you not, but a chance that we can lure him to Norman. But, IMO, the problem is going to be that Jarett might commit to us earlier and cut off the possibility of Brantley.

I think we have a Lee & Lee QB year.

normanbred
10/31/2006, 11:20 AM
i dont follow recruiting as closely as a lot of you guys do but i do go to the rivals website pretty regularly. why is the recruiting class ranked so low this year? usually, stoops has the sooners class in the top 10 if not the top 5. this years its around 25. what gives?

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 11:25 AM
From what I've heard, Jarett committed to LSU early in the recruiting process and now he is rethinking things a bit. It has been said by people, that I will not name, that he is going to open back up his recruiting after his high school season is over and make some official visits to other schools...the first one being OU. I think what has happened is the same thing that is happening with Brantley. Jarett has looked over LSU's depth chart and sees the opportunity to play at OU MUCH earlier and it is very intruiging. Remember, it wasn't until Bomargate that we needed to recruit a QB and when it happened, most of these "high profile/highly ranked" QB's had already committed to other schools or had already set up their top 5 teams with OU not being in any of them.

The reason I think Brantley won't come to OU is becasue everyone says that he would have a B I G problem with breaking his committement to UT because he is a "man of his word" and he doesn't want to break his word. And, even though this keeps getting said about Brantley, I still think there is a chance, a small one mind you not, but a chance that we can lure him to Norman. But, IMO, the problem is going to be that Jarett might commit to us earlier and cut off the possibility of Brantley.

I think we have a Lee & Lee QB year.

Somebody needs to tell Brantley that there is a difference between breaking a commitment and asking to be released from one. Breaking a commitment is simply telling someone "I changed my mind." Asking is much different, and still honorable: "Coach, I'm having some second thoughts based on a number of factors. Will you give me permission to consider other schools again so that I can move forward with more confidence?"

A recruiting commitment is not a marriage.

You could even argue that Mack, if he is such the "honest guy" everyone says he is with the recruits, would be willing to acknowledge that there are legitimate reasons for Brantley to want to explore the opportunity at Oklahoma. McCoy could very well be the Big XII offensive player of the year, and will be if things continue. If not, he will definitely AT LEAST be the newcomer of the year. Is it to the Longhorns advantage to open up another recruiting war like Applewhite/Simms? If Mack is honest, I think he would have to admit that the race for #1 QB is not going to be nearly as wide open as he probably thought it was (and more than likely told Brantley it would be) before the beginning of the season.

Barring injury, McCoy is going to have a death-grip on this position by the end of the year (as much as anyone can have a death-grip - I know nothing is certain). I wouldn't expect Mack to volunteer this sort of perspective; but if Brantley were to bring up the subject, I would like to think that Mack would be straight-forward about the new realities and understanding about their implications for Brantley's decisions.

Let the assault from longhorn fans begin . . .

Herr Scholz
10/31/2006, 11:37 AM
If Mack is honest, I think he would have to admit that the race for #1 QB is not going to be nearly as wide open as he probably thought it was (and more than likely told Brantley it would be) before the beginning of the season.
OU definitely has a more wide open depth chart at QB. Nobody's disputing that. However, to insinuate that Mack Brown has in some way bamboozled Brantley to come to Austin is simply not true. Brantley knew our depth chart situation when he commited and went into this with his eyes open. Both he and Brown have said as much. Also, Brantley and his Father have both said they want him to redshirt, which would give him 2 years of elgibility after McCoy leaves (assuming McCoy plays for 4 years and never gets injured). The backlog of quality QBs certainly hasn't hurt USC.

Brantley and his Father simply liked Austin and Mack Brown's program the best. They know there will be competition everywhere they go. OU also had a chance at recruiting him and Brantley and his Father don't even want a free trip to Norman to visit, so I don't know why you guys are even still talking about him. If he goes anywhere, it would probably be to Florida or South Carolina.

The Consumate Showman
10/31/2006, 11:56 AM
I have to concur with Herr on this one. Mack has been really good about letting players go elsewhere if they request it. I believe that he helped a layer of his go to LSU(not sure) after he had played for UT for a year, much like Switz did for Aikman. Now, would he help a player of his go to OU? We might find our that answer IF, I F, Brantley requests to open back up his recruitment. Listen guys, you have to remember that, what 2 years ago, Ryan Perrilloux had given Mack his word and then at the last moment, signed with LSU. That left a bad taste in Mack and the UT program's mouth. Ryan was highly touted and to tell the truth, he might have flourished under Mack, but he made a bad decision and is now buried in LSU's depth chart. i think Brantley doesn't want to be seen as the next "Ryan Perrilloux situation" and get a bad wrap for it. This kid is a good kid. He is very Christian and feels that to be a good person, he should keep his word and not go back on it.

And yes Herr, he and his dad have said repeatedly that they liked UT the best out of all the schools they visited; BUT, as a UT fan, you can NOT put 100% faith in that he is going to come to UT. You have to admit that OU's situation is EXTREMELY intriguing with our young and powerful OL and the bevy of RB's and talented WR's that we have. Now in saying all that, I am starting to think more and more that Jarett Lee will decommit from LSU and come to OU and that Brantley will keep his committment and go to UT.

MiccoMacey
10/31/2006, 12:05 PM
OU definitely has a more wide open depth chart at QB. Nobody's disputing that. However, to insinuate that Mack Brown has in some way bamboozled Brantley to come to Austin is simply not true...

I don't think Mack bamboozled anyone either. But whatever lured him to Austin happened before McCoy started playing better than anyone really thought he could. No one could fault him for wanting out of his committment after finding out he'll have relatively no shot at playing for Texas.

The Consumate Showman
10/31/2006, 12:08 PM
i dont follow recruiting as closely as a lot of you guys do but i do go to the rivals website pretty regularly. why is the recruiting class ranked so low this year? usually, stoops has the sooners class in the top 10 if not the top 5. this years its around 25. what gives?

Well, we only have 4 4stars, 4 3stars, and 3 3stars signed right now. If we get Tolliver and Lee, that will be a 5 star and 4 star and Romine will be another 4 star, too. Our class may come way up yet. Be patient. There is still 3 more months to go through before signing day rolls around...a lot can happen.

Also, having a top recruiting class doesn't always equate to future success. Just ask Mack. Not many thought that JT Thatcher, Bubba Burcham, Holleyman, Savage, Fagan, Norman, Heupel and others were going to do much, but we all know what happened there.

To me, it helps to have a good mix of one or two hgihly ranked players and then some more that really, Really, REally, REALLY want to play for OU, a la Rocky and Teddy and Trent paired with a guy like TRRW, and now guys like Brandon Crow and Kody Cooke paired with guys like McCoy and (hopefully) Tolliver.

I think Stoops is realizing now the recruiting mistakes he has made in the past with signing these "highly touted" recruits that don't feel as though they should have to put in the same kind of work as a guy that is a 1 or 2 star recruited player out of Slapout, Oklahoma.

Desert Sapper
10/31/2006, 12:59 PM
I respect that Brantley is being true to his word. I'm sure that Mack and company are happy that he is staying so, as well. Ultimately, I don't think it matters who OUr QB is. Josh Heupel will take that person and mold them into greatness. I'm not discounting some of the QBs already in OUr depth chart from ultimately being magnificent. The kids that go to UT know that they are going into a good, solid program with a great coaching staff and a shot at a national title any given year. The kids that go to OU know the same. Our prospets fro the near future look undeniably good, given our youth. Anybody that doesn't see that is foolish. However, UT is not lacking for talent, either. I'm sure Brantley knows that he will have a shot at the starting job at UT within his eligibility. It was one of the cases I was making for him to come to OU when (he that we shall never mention again) was still here. Whatever his choice, I respect him for it and wish him the best. He just better recognize that when RRS rolls around, it's ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 03:54 PM
OU definitely has a more wide open depth chart at QB. Nobody's disputing that. However, to insinuate that Mack Brown has in some way bamboozled Brantley to come to Austin is simply not true.

It would be ridiculous to insinuate that . . . which is why I didn't. Quite the opposite, in fact. I simply said that the situation at Texas, with the emergence of McCoy, has changed. And certainly the landscape of opportunities has changed north of the Red River.

I simply indicated that I would expect Mack to be candid about those facts if this a conversation that Brantley chooses to initiate. If I'm insinuating anything about Mack Brown with that statement, it's that he has character and integrity.

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 03:56 PM
Ultimately, I don't think it matters who OUr QB is. Josh Heupel will take that person and mold them into greatness.

Well said.

mrowl
10/31/2006, 06:29 PM
McCoy a fright for recruits?

Over the past month, Texas' 12-year-old QB Colt McCoy (a.k.a McCoy in the Middle) has become a Heisman Trophy candidate in some circles thanks to comeback wins away from Austin against Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas Tech.

Because of a 24-to-4 TD-to-INT ratio, a .677 completion percentage and because of decisions like the one to slide and stay in bounds after a 33-yard scramble on third-and-5 with 1:18 left, clinging to a four-point lead at Tech Saturday night.

McCoy needs three more TD passes this season to eclipse the single-season school record of 26 shared by Vince Young and Chris Simms. He needs six more to break the NCAA freshman record.

With all that success, coach Mack Brown is getting more and more questions about whether top QB recruits John Chiles of Mansfield Summit and John Brantley of Ocala, Fla., will back out of their commitments.

“I don’t think so,” Brown said. “Most guys, if they can play for two years, don’t worry about it. Most quarterbacks want to redshirt, and after they redshirt, they want to learn, then want a chance to play.

“And whoever knows? You start talking about two years from now and three years from now, something can happen by the hour. You can’t predict the future. [Rhett] Bomar and Vince [Young] were going to be the two starting quarterbacks at Oklahoma and Texas this year. That shows you how unpredictable our sport is.”

By the way, Brown said Monday freshman backup Jevan Snead "looks great right now [in practice]. He's just not getting to play."

http://colleges.beloblog.com/archives/2006/10/mccoy_a_fright_for_recruits.html#more

looks like the door may open for something.

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 07:01 PM
McCoy a fright for recruits?

Over the past month, Texas' 12-year-old QB Colt McCoy (a.k.a McCoy in the Middle) has become a Heisman Trophy candidate in some circles thanks to comeback wins away from Austin against Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas Tech.

Because of a 24-to-4 TD-to-INT ratio, a .677 completion percentage and because of decisions like the one to slide and stay in bounds after a 33-yard scramble on third-and-5 with 1:18 left, clinging to a four-point lead at Tech Saturday night.

McCoy needs three more TD passes this season to eclipse the single-season school record of 26 shared by Vince Young and Chris Simms. He needs six more to break the NCAA freshman record.

With all that success, coach Mack Brown is getting more and more questions about whether top QB recruits John Chiles of Mansfield Summit and John Brantley of Ocala, Fla., will back out of their commitments.

“I don’t think so,” Brown said. “Most guys, if they can play for two years, don’t worry about it. Most quarterbacks want to redshirt, and after they redshirt, they want to learn, then want a chance to play.

“And whoever knows? You start talking about two years from now and three years from now, something can happen by the hour. You can’t predict the future. [Rhett] Bomar and Vince [Young] were going to be the two starting quarterbacks at Oklahoma and Texas this year. That shows you how unpredictable our sport is.”

By the way, Brown said Monday freshman backup Jevan Snead "looks great right now [in practice]. He's just not getting to play."

http://colleges.beloblog.com/archives/2006/10/mccoy_a_fright_for_recruits.html#more

looks like the door may open for something.

. . . . interesting comment about getting to play for "two years." Someone needs to give John David Booty's cell number to Brantley so Brantley can ask him about how he likes getting to play for only one year.

OU-HSV
10/31/2006, 07:50 PM
I still think if OU presses and gets an official visit...Garcia will be OUrs. The cocks and gators both have freshmen QB's that rule and are getting playing time already.

Josh can make it happen...Plus, I will make sure the next time I see him, I will put in a good word.
Wonder what the chances are of us getting an official visit from this kid for the Texas Tech Fighting Zebra game?

Desert Sapper
10/31/2006, 08:56 PM
. . . . interesting comment about getting to play for "two years." Someone needs to give John David Booty's cell number to Brantley so Brantley can ask him about how he likes getting to play for only one year.

I think Booty's a Junior, and I sort of doubt that he'll leave early for the NFL.

KingDavid
11/1/2006, 10:43 AM
I think Booty's a Junior, and I sort of doubt that he'll leave early for the NFL.

You're right about Booty. My bad.

snp
11/1/2006, 11:59 AM
There was a big rumor going around that Booty was bolting for the NFL this year, but it has been prooved wrong.

Internet message boards get a rumor wrong? Why I never.

mrowl
11/1/2006, 12:29 PM
I wonder if Booty will have the starting job next year.

The Consumate Showman
11/1/2006, 01:30 PM
I wonder if Booty will have the starting job next year.

Well, considering the only news I've heard out of Matt Sanchez is the fact that he sexually assaulted someone (or something like that)...yeah, I'd say Johnny-boy has the job next year.

The Consumate Showman
11/1/2006, 01:33 PM
But anyway, why are we talking about a USuCk QB. Let's focus on our "potential" targets.

If the rumors are true and Jevan Snead does bolt out of UT, then I think we can all but assure ourselves that Mr. Brantley is UT-bound. And yes, the Snead rumors sem to be true....there are numerous reports coming out of Austin about it and one of the sports-casters down there has it up on his blog.

Herr Scholz
11/1/2006, 03:03 PM
If the rumors are true and Jevan Snead does bolt out of UT, then I think we can all but assure ourselves that Mr. Brantley is UT-bound. And yes, the Snead rumors sem to be true....there are numerous reports coming out of Austin about it and one of the sports-casters down there has it up on his blog.
Link?

KingDavid
11/1/2006, 09:18 PM
Link?

here you go (http://www.kdbc.com/news/sports/4525086.html)

Herr Scholz
11/2/2006, 10:49 AM
here you go (http://www.kdbc.com/news/sports/4525086.html)
Thanks. Maybe there's something to it. I did like this reply from Brown though. Made me chuckle.

UT's Brown addresses Snead transfer rumors

07:53 PM CST on Wednesday, November 1, 2006

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – Coach Mack Brown was asked Wednesday about rumors on Texas fan Web sites that backup freshman quarterback Jevan Snead is exploring schools where he could transfer.

Schools mentioned as possibilities include Florida, Florida State, TCU, Houston and UT-El Paso.

"We're really pleased with Jevan," Brown said. "He's been great. He worked with the ones some today. People on the Internet need to find something to do."

:D

snp
11/2/2006, 11:33 AM
Well, he never denied it...

Herr Scholz
11/2/2006, 11:36 AM
Well, he never denied it...
No, he didn't and I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer either. We'll definitely have a glut of QBs next year. Of course, Bomar and VY were supposed to be our respective QBs this season so you never know what will happen.

boomersooner28
11/3/2006, 06:50 AM
Man, coaches press conferences were soooo much easier before the internet. I bet the crap REALLY ****es them off. Oh well, you bastages make alot of dough because of us!

:pop:

The Consumate Showman
11/3/2006, 01:19 PM
Herr, what I don't get is, from what I gather, why Mack is taking a shot at the internet? Seems more like he is trying to divert attention away from what might be actually true. I believe that this was reported and the source was not internet blotter, rather, a "source close to the Snead family"...

Oh, and we probably should find some better things to do than type away our lives on message boards............NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Herr Scholz
11/3/2006, 02:25 PM
Herr, what I don't get is, from what I gather, why Mack is taking a shot at the internet?
I think a lot of it has to do with how much Greg Davis constantly gets thrown under the bus. I think that irks Brown quite a bit.

Oh, and we probably should find some better things to do than type away our lives on message boards............NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I actually really do need a hobby.

8timechamps
11/5/2006, 12:36 PM
Any way you look at it, we are a QB short of national title contention.

The positives are that anyone being recruited has to feel pretty good about starting soon. However, that can hold some downside as well.

I personally would love to see Garcia, but I think Stoops is putting more energy and focus into a JUCO kid that can bring a little game time experience with him.

I was much more concerned before I saw Patrick run. And, I think the very young OLine has much to do with his success. We need a guy that can give us a decent threat of throwing...doesn't have to be a five star guy...we can wait on that for a year or two...but we do need to find a 3 or 4 year guy to put in there.

Desert Sapper
11/5/2006, 05:18 PM
I just can't imagine why we don't already have somebody locked up. Not with the way the O and D-Lines have played, coupled with the skill positions lighting it up. Very few question marks, plus a veteran line makes for a perfect situation for any incoming QB. Like 8TC said, 'Any way you look at it, we are a QB short of national title contention'. Amen. Wake up, you primitive screw heads!

Echoes
11/5/2006, 05:19 PM
Hey guys, not directly related to QB recruiting, but I just had a quick QB question. I am definetly not as good as a judge as you guys about QB's, so I thought I would ask.

Whats up with Bradford and Halzle? Are they just not going to have a shot or? It seems to me that Bradford would do well, I mean he definetly has the size and strength. Is he missing some things or?

soonerthanu
11/5/2006, 06:14 PM
I think it has allot to do with only having two QB's on scholly next year if we dont get somebody.

snp
11/6/2006, 01:56 PM
Guys on the team I've talked to say Halzle just kinda sucks. Haven't heard anything about Bradford, neither has any one else it seems.

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/6/2006, 04:37 PM
Guys on the team I've talked to say Halzle just kinda sucks.

At life, or just at football ?

snp
11/6/2006, 05:38 PM
Foozeball.

soonerthanu
11/6/2006, 09:15 PM
Well that sucks

man00
11/7/2006, 01:43 AM
Wonder what the chances are of us getting an official visit from this kid for the Texas Tech Fighting Zebra game?
That may not be good..Seeing the Tech QB throwing 40 times

snp
11/7/2006, 11:17 AM
Garcia has zero interest in Tech. And after he sees that there is complimentary run game and his chances for being pegged a system QB, it wouldn't matter anyways.

The Consumate Showman
11/7/2006, 04:18 PM
There's a new name floating around out there that MAY be coming to Norman this weekend; however, I have been asked to wait until the weekend to say any names, so I'll let you guys know Sunday morning. Sorry. Don't mean to tease, but this was surprising to me as I thought we had all of our targets in hand now and would start to concentrate on a few of them...apparently I was wrong.

BASSooner
11/7/2006, 05:42 PM
Mike Paulus?

soonerthanu
11/7/2006, 05:45 PM
I think I have a Idea who it is. Some dude who has a verbal with MSU. Nickls (SP)

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/7/2006, 06:38 PM
There is also a kid who has verbally committed to North Carolina looking at OU

snp
11/7/2006, 07:06 PM
That would be Paulus. It's not a big secret he's interested in OU though. But he's said he's waiting to meet the new coach of UNC before he gives us a visit.

Freaking LOL that he thinks Butch Davis is heading there.

chbrew09
11/8/2006, 03:29 AM
Hey Consumate...Just wondering. I used to have a full time rivals account and had a scout account for a few months, but due to lack of funds I've got nothing going on right now. Is that where you get information from or do you know an even better source (possibly inside the program) where you get all your information from? It just seems like you know stuff that isnt even on those two premium sites. Just curious...I'm not asking for names or anything. I really appreciate all your updates...I check up on recruiting around the boards just about every day.

chbrew09
11/8/2006, 03:29 AM
And personally, that would be huge if Paulus or Nichol show strong interest in us...especially Paulus. Paulus brothers are just gifted.

The Consumate Showman
11/8/2006, 10:12 AM
Hey Consumate...Just wondering. I used to have a full time rivals account and had a scout account for a few months, but due to lack of funds I've got nothing going on right now. Is that where you get information from or do you know an even better source (possibly inside the program) where you get all your information from? It just seems like you know stuff that isnt even on those two premium sites. Just curious...I'm not asking for names or anything. I really appreciate all your updates...I check up on recruiting around the boards just about every day.

PM me.

The Consumate Showman
11/8/2006, 10:14 AM
And personally, that would be huge if Paulus or Nichol show strong interest in us...especially Paulus. Paulus brothers are just gifted.

Forget him.

starrca23
11/8/2006, 12:09 PM
Okay, this thread is starting to get confusing. I know insert your noob/ rookie jokes here. But could some one post a new list of the kids we currently are interested in and have a shot at? I assume the Showman will reveal add his mistery guest when it becomdes appropriate.

The Consumate Showman
11/8/2006, 01:18 PM
Okay, this thread is starting to get confusing. I know insert your noob/ rookie jokes here. But could some one post a new list of the kids we currently are interested in and have a shot at? I assume the Showman will reveal add his mistery guest when it becomdes appropriate.

We are looking at Brantely, Lee, Garcia, and another from the HS ranks.

We are pretty much just looking at this Zach Lee kid right now out at SFCC.

Yes, I'll tell you this weekend, don't want to **** off an old friend or scare away a kid.

starrca23
11/8/2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks.

stoopified
11/9/2006, 12:48 PM
Internet message boards are not a hobby,they are LIFE.:D

Hunyock
11/9/2006, 02:07 PM
Phillip Bates though he is still a commit to ISU has started looking around and is interested in both the Huskers and Sooners. He has pretty good speed and is elusive as heck.

I think he would make a better DB though.

OklahomaTuba
11/9/2006, 03:10 PM

Yes, I'll tell you this weekend, don't want to **** off an old friend or scare away a kid.

I have to be in San Fran all next week on business and was thinking I may be able to see Zach Lee play, but I decided not to so I could go to the Tech game, then fly out there Sunday.

umberto
11/9/2006, 03:59 PM

Thank you for the information showman! Don't worry about having to keep a secret, I think it's important not to burn a source. Besides, suspense makes it more fun, kind of like Christmas... :D

The Consumate Showman
11/9/2006, 08:18 PM
Thank you for the information showman! Don't worry about having to keep a secret, I think it's important not to burn a source. Besides, suspense makes it more fun, kind of like Christmas... :D

Don't think this is going to be THAT suspenseful, but having a kid like this will be interesting and show a lot of potential recruits for '08 what a great place OU would be to commit to.

The Consumate Showman
11/10/2006, 07:33 PM
Okay. The kid that was supposed to come to OU this weekend backed out yesterday apparently.

My contact told me that he did not understand what this kid (oh it was Keith Nichol BTW, committed to Mich. State) was thinking, but that if he couldn't muster up the gusto to take a trip when his "ream" is going to be revamped with a "God-knows-who" coaching staff, then he wouldn't commit to anyone else anyway.

So, unless there is a miraculous Brantley sighting tomorrow, there will be no QB's at the game. Don't think Richetti is feeling too up to coming up either, so I guess, if he plays again, that he'll stick with the aggots. Poor kid.

Harry Beanbag
11/10/2006, 07:37 PM
Okay. The kid that was supposed to come to OU this weekend backed out yesterday apparently.

My contact told me that he did not understand what this kid (oh it was Keith Nichol BTW, committed to Mich. State) was thinking, but that if he couldn't muster up the gusto to take a trip when his "ream" is going to be revamped with a "God-knows-who" coaching staff, then he wouldn't commit to anyone else anyway.

So, unless there is a miraculous Brantley sighting tomorrow, there will be no QB's at the game. Don't think Richetti is feeling too up to coming up either, so I guess, if he plays again, that he'll stick with the aggots. Poor kid.

Your "contact" sounds like Rivals.com.

mrowl
11/11/2006, 10:19 AM
I find it funny how secretive recruiting is on message boards. Do people REALLY think their posts are important enough to change a kids mind?

Frozen Sooner
11/11/2006, 11:25 AM
Yes and no.

There is information that can really bugger your school's chance at a recruit up. Say if you have a recruit that is trying to schedule a visit without the school they're currently committed to finding out-if that information gets out on the message boards, the recruit might just cancel the whole thing instead of jeopardize their current scholarship offer from their committed school.

The Consumate Showman
11/12/2006, 03:01 AM
Your "contact" sounds like Rivals.com.

"You" must be one of the faithful Josh and Carey worshippers.

Sorry, I don't like to pay for my info.

Josh and Carey talk to a lot of the same people I talk to so sorry that is sounds like I am getting my info off of them.

What have they been reporting over there anyway? Anything for sure or just a bunch of speculation? Josh and Carey always used to love to "pump" themelves up to the subscribers when I was on there a few years ago.

Bet they didn't talk to or see about 8-10 recruits tonight; but I guess I'll go consult my "contacts" first to check and make sure that what I post isn't conflicting with Mr. Murdock and what crappy article he is going to write from now on.

Seamus
11/12/2006, 03:41 AM

Smells like ownage :cool:

Harry Beanbag
11/12/2006, 10:14 AM
"You" must be one of the faithful Josh and Carey worshippers.

Sorry, I don't like to pay for my info.

Josh and Carey talk to a lot of the same people I talk to so sorry that is sounds like I am getting my info off of them.

What have they been reporting over there anyway? Anything for sure or just a bunch of speculation? Josh and Carey always used to love to "pump" themelves up to the subscribers when I was on there a few years ago.

Bet they didn't talk to or see about 8-10 recruits tonight; but I guess I'll go consult my "contacts" first to check and make sure that what I post isn't conflicting with Mr. Murdock and what crappy article he is going to write from now on.

Wow, you must be really important. :rolleyes:

You said this Friday evening:

Rivals said this Friday afternoon:

After earlier this week reporting that Keith Nichol (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=41235) had in fact set up a visit for Oklahoma. It appears that will now not be happening.

Scoop can’t help but agree with Josh on this one, if Nichol couldn’t say ‘let me look around’ to a coaching staff who are already on their way out and that he won’t be playing for, how was he ever going to say it to the new staff that he will play for?

Oklahoma would like to have brought him in but sooner or later he would have to tell someone of his decision to take a visit, and apparently that’s an impossibility regardless of the situation.

See any similarities? Sorry if I ruffled your "insider" feathers.

birddog
11/12/2006, 12:07 PM
...and again.

The Consumate Showman
11/12/2006, 02:23 PM
Sorry Harry.

No, I'm not important.

There are no "insiders".

I like grilled cheese, you?

The Consumate Showman
11/12/2006, 02:33 PM
After earlier this week reporting that Keith Nichol had in fact set up a visit for Oklahoma. It appears that will now not be happening.

Scoop can’t help but agree with Josh on this one, if Nichol couldn’t say ‘let me look around’ to a coaching staff who are already on their way out and that he won’t be playing for, how was he ever going to say it to the new staff that he will play for?

Oklahoma would like to have brought him in but sooner or later he would have to tell someone of his decision to take a visit, and apparently that’s an impossibility regardless of the situation.

Carey and Josh would love to see this post. I think they have a policy:

[QUOTE=Carey and Josh]The Sooner Scoop will always have a lot of inside information or sensitive information that doesn’t need to be discussed in public forums and on other websites. So what is said in the Sooner Scoop stays in the Sooner Scoop.

This only works if you guys make it work, and if it becomes and issue, we’ll begin to cut back on the amount of good information that is passed on in here.[QUOTE/]

[QUOTE=Carey and Josh]The Sooner Scoop will always have a lot of inside information or sensitive information that doesn’t need to be discussed in public forums and on other websites. So what is said in the Sooner Scoop stays in the Sooner Scoop.[QUOTE/]

This means you are a subscriber to rivals because that is premium information you posted there.

Well, I'll be seein' you guys. The Showman is now retired like Mr. Barker.

KingDavid
11/12/2006, 02:43 PM
What's with all the ego, fellas? No need to bust Showman's chops for sharing some information with the crew here at Soonerfans. I can't see how in the world that does anyone any good. If you think he's showboating, Harry, then chill out and go somewhere where it doesn't bother you so much. There are those of us here who appreciate the dialogue . . .

Desert Sapper
11/12/2006, 02:51 PM
What's with all the ego, fellas? No need to bust Showman's chops for sharing some information with the crew here at Soonerfans. I can't see how in the world that does anyone any good. If you think he's showboating, Harry, then chill out and go somewhere where it doesn't bother you so much. There are those of us here who appreciate the dialogue . . .

Seconded. Just because the 'insiders' put two and two together doesn't mean somebody else can't. And chances are if anybody scared Nichol off it was those two. They indulge way too much in the self-congratulatory BS (that ends up broadcast all over the web). Showman is just trying to give fellow Sooners some piece of mind.

chbrew09
11/12/2006, 03:42 PM
Seconded. Just because the 'insiders' put two and two together doesn't mean somebody else can't. And chances are if anybody scared Nichol off it was those two. They indulge way too much in the self-congratulatory BS (that ends up broadcast all over the web). Showman is just trying to give fellow Sooners some piece of mind.

Here's a third...I appreciate your input Showman and honestly trust what you're saying over the paid big boys. Don't let him scare you off also...anything you've said has been appreciated by all of us here. Harry...I'm glad you finally found two pieces of information that matched up so you could show your great researching skills off to all of us.

SouthFortySooner
11/12/2006, 07:33 PM
This is the "Official Thread" by the way. Where else is there? This place is gold. Thanks all, especially "The Showman". :D

Seamus
11/12/2006, 09:16 PM
I know I'm noobish, but geez ...

Showman's posts were muy appreciated. Sucks someone who was jealous for whatever reason had to make yellow rain on the picinc basket ...

Hope Showman will continue to share the info and not let the red-asses stifle him. :twinkies:

soonerthanu
11/12/2006, 09:20 PM
Showman thanks for all the updates. Hopefully you wont let one ruin it for many.

Harry Beanbag
11/12/2006, 10:30 PM
Carey and Josh would love to see this post. I think they have a policy:

[quote=Carey and Josh]The Sooner Scoop will always have a lot of inside information or sensitive information that doesn’t need to be discussed in public forums and on other websites. So what is said in the Sooner Scoop stays in the Sooner Scoop.

This only works if you guys make it work, and if it becomes and issue, we’ll begin to cut back on the amount of good information that is passed on in here.[QUOTE/]

[quote=Carey and Josh]The Sooner Scoop will always have a lot of inside information or sensitive information that doesn’t need to be discussed in public forums and on other websites. So what is said in the Sooner Scoop stays in the Sooner Scoop.[QUOTE/]

This means you are a subscriber to rivals because that is premium information you posted there.

Well, I'll be seein' you guys. The Showman is now retired like Mr. Barker.

Waahh. You're the one tha posted it originally so get over yourself.

If you have any real inside info, that would be muy appreciated. Otherwise, stop trying to impress everybody.

KingDavid
11/15/2006, 12:09 AM
Waahh. You're the one tha posted it originally so get over yourself.

If you have any real inside info, that would be muy appreciated. Otherwise, stop trying to impress everybody.

I'm reminded of the parable of a man who was offered anything in the world by a genie . . . but with the condition that whatever he received, his brother would receive a double-portion thereof.

He labored and wrestled with the prospect of always being bested by his brother.

In the end, he asked the genie to put out one of his eyes . . .

Envy is a nasty thing, Harry.

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2006, 06:21 AM
I'm reminded of the parable of a man who was offered anything in the world by a genie . . . but with the condition that whatever he received, his brother would receive a double-portion thereof.

He labored and wrestled with the prospect of always being bested by his brother.

In the end, he asked the genie to put out one of his eyes . . .

Envy is a nasty thing, Harry.

Wow, that's rich. I'm reminded of a man who takes himself and this board way too seriously. Actually there are several of them in this thread. :rolleyes:

If you and your little noob buddies want to act like fools then be my guest. Just wait here with your mouths open for the Showman to come by with all of his original worms to feed you with.

Sooner in Tampa
11/15/2006, 08:35 AM
Awesome job on this thread guys :rolleyes:

You should proud of yourselves for driving a perfectly good tread right into the $h!tter. :mad:

starrca23
11/15/2006, 09:03 AM
Hey beanbag, There is a little white X in a red box in the top right corner of your screen. Utilize it.

Seamus
11/15/2006, 01:47 PM
Original worms?

Sheesh, get over yourself.

If he has information we don't have, and we're not paying some Barnum a subscription to get it, then it really doesn't matter how "original" it is, at least from this perspective. "Ooooh, it's not proprietary (look it up), so Showman is trying to be a big shot."

Whatever.

You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. Stop being part of the problem and go **** on another thread.

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/15/2006, 01:50 PM
So...Um

What QB do we go after now?

chbrew09
11/15/2006, 02:48 PM
So...Um

What QB do we go after now?

Any updates on the situation? I, like 95% of us on this board actually care about the future of the team. Any info would be greatly appreciated. One thing's certain...we need a QB and if we get the right one, next year could be a special year for all of us. I guess Zach Lee's a goner, so in terms of JUCO, where do we go from here?

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2006, 03:41 PM
Original worms?

Sheesh, get over yourself.

If he has information we don't have, and we're not paying some Barnum a subscription to get it, then it really doesn't matter how "original" it is, at least from this perspective. "Ooooh, it's not proprietary (look it up), so Showman is trying to be a big shot."

Whatever.

You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. Stop being part of the problem and go **** on another thread.

I just made a simple comment. Showman, you, and the rest of his minions blew it way out of proportion.

And for anybody who cares about the QB situation more than yelling at me for questioning your sugar daddy, nobody knows anything about the situation. All's quiet on that front which begs the question of a silent commit from somebody....hopefully.

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2006, 03:44 PM
Sorry Harry.

No, I'm not important.

There are no "insiders".

I like grilled cheese, you?

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. I LOVE grilled cheese, especially with a little hint of mayonnaise. :)

The Consumate Showman
11/15/2006, 04:25 PM
Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. I LOVE grilled cheese, especially with a little hint of mayonnaise. :)

Harry, that is really funny to me because i happen to like mayo on my grilled cheese, too. I have been known to occasionally put a few pickles on one, too. And yes, I am being serious. :)

Harry, all I can say to you is that I have a close friend that works in the east Texas area/s and he talks to me quite a bit. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I know a lot about where our QB recruiting is going simply because we are not looking at many QB's from that area. I know that there has been a lot of talk about this Jarrett Lee kid and the big rumor going around down there is that he apparently is really considering breaking his committment.

Now about Nichol, the thing that got this crap started, my cousin is an assistant football coach near the Chcicago area and I was talking to him and he had a kid that is currently committed to MSU and told my cousin that this QB MSU had recrutied was thinking about visiting OU and some other schools becasue of the coaching situation, but it never happened. My cousin called me back later and told me he was going to be a "no-show". And no, I don't subscribe to rivals, but I have a couple of uncles that get on rivals and ouinsider and they had told me that this kid had cancelled his trip for sure. (My cousin is often full of crap).

Anyway, the only other person I get info from is out in California and he is the one that told me he really thought OU would get Zach Lee, but obviously, something happened there. Seems odd. Our QB recruiting is going to the dogs right now...mysterious.

BASSooner
11/15/2006, 04:28 PM
Any words on bryan savage, cade cooper, or stephen garcia?

The Consumate Showman
11/15/2006, 04:30 PM
Any words on bryan savage, cade cooper, or stephen garcia?

Savage - maybe
Cooper - apparently not
Garcia - thought he would be a C0CK by now...

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2006, 05:00 PM
Harry, that is really funny to me because i happen to like mayo on my grilled cheese, too. I have been known to occasionally put a few pickles on one, too. And yes, I am being serious. :)

Harry, all I can say to you is that I have a close friend that works in the east Texas area/s and he talks to me quite a bit. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I know a lot about where our QB recruiting is going simply because we are not looking at many QB's from that area. I know that there has been a lot of talk about this Jarrett Lee kid and the big rumor going around down there is that he apparently is really considering breaking his committment.

Now about Nichol, the thing that got this crap started, my cousin is an assistant football coach near the Chcicago area and I was talking to him and he had a kid that is currently committed to MSU and told my cousin that this QB MSU had recrutied was thinking about visiting OU and some other schools becasue of the coaching situation, but it never happened. My cousin called me back later and told me he was going to be a "no-show". And no, I don't subscribe to rivals, but I have a couple of uncles that get on rivals and ouinsider and they had told me that this kid had cancelled his trip for sure. (My cousin is often full of crap).

Anyway, the only other person I get info from is out in California and he is the one that told me he really thought OU would get Zach Lee, but obviously, something happened there. Seems odd. Our QB recruiting is going to the dogs right now...mysterious.

Either there is something in the works that hasn't been/can't be leaked yet or our QB recruiting is really ****ting the bed right now. I'm optimistically thinking it is the former. There are some interesting scenarios and rumors floating around, but at this point nothing has any serious credence to it. The whole thing is just a big secret right now, and probably for good reason...

As far as the other stuff, it's all water under the dam. :)

Herr Scholz
11/15/2006, 05:38 PM

I don't think that's American. Or even Christian.

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2006, 06:04 PM
I don't think that's American. Or even Christian.

Then you should love it. ;)

Herr Scholz
11/15/2006, 06:07 PM
Then you should love it. ;)
Grilled cheese sandwiches are great after a full day of political sit-ins, ACLU meetings, tree hugging kumbaya sessions and pot smoking. ;)

RedStripe
11/15/2006, 06:18 PM
Either there is something in the works that hasn't been/can't be leaked yet or our QB recruiting is really ****ting the bed right now. I'm optimistically thinking it is the former. There are some interesting scenarios and rumors floating around, but at this point nothing has any serious credence to it. The whole thing is just a big secret right now, and probably for good reason...

As far as the other stuff, it's all water under the dam. :)

Harry did you read the post on Rivals Something's up with QB recruiting (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=429&tid=83201897&mid=83201897&sid=895&style=2) Pretty interesting stuff.

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2006, 06:37 PM
Harry did you read the post on Rivals Something's up with QB recruiting (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=429&tid=83201897&mid=83201897&sid=895&style=2) Pretty interesting stuff.

Thanks for the link, I just read it. Those are all things I have been thinking about the last two days. Seeing somebody else put it into words makes me feel a lot more confident, and hopeful, that it is actually true. :)

The silence is deafening and should remain as quiet as the staff wants it to be.

KingDavid
11/15/2006, 08:06 PM
If you and your little noob buddies want to act like fools then be my guest. Just wait here with your mouths open for the Showman to come by with all of his original grilled cheese sandwiches to feed you with.

Fixed. BTW, Harry . . . i'll be sure to boost my post-count before I bust your chops next time.:eek:

Moving on . . . just to keep the information consolidated: Zach Lee went to Nebraska - is this confirmed. I have not been to rivals yet.

soonerthanu
11/15/2006, 09:18 PM
Yes he is a cronshucker.

Now lets get this train back on track.

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2006, 09:51 PM
Fixed. BTW, Harry . . . i'll be sure to boost my post-count before I bust your chops next time.:eek:

Post count's got nothing to do with it.

sooner KB
11/15/2006, 10:28 PM
So what's all this about a "silent commit?" Does this happen very often? Why would a player commit silently, what advantage would it be to him?

birddog
11/15/2006, 11:41 PM
i don't seem to understand why the be-jesus we can't get a qb. i just don't get it.

KingDavid
11/16/2006, 12:15 AM
Post count's got nothing to do with it.

No kidding.

Frozen Sooner
11/16/2006, 12:38 AM
So what's all this about a "silent commit?" Does this happen very often? Why would a player commit silently, what advantage would it be to him?

1. Player is playing the game and getting some free trips to see great football games.

2. Player is recruiting behind the scenes while playing the game.

3. Player doesn't want to get hassled about his commitment.

4. Let's say a player from a random state, say Georgia, is a very highly-recruited prospect. He, however, doesn't want to play at Georgia, and has in fact verballed to Nebraska. Since then, the situation at Colorado, a school he's really interested in, has changed to be more favorable than it was. He silent verbals to Colorado, but doesn't publicly change his commitment so that Georgia fans won't drive him bat-**** because they think his commitment to any school isn't solid and they want him to be a Dawg.

BASSooner
11/16/2006, 09:29 AM
Heck, if we can't seem to get a QB, why don't we recruit Gerald Jones as a QB?

The Consumate Showman
11/16/2006, 09:42 AM
We're recruiting Jones, but more as an athlete. The only school that has offered him as a QB is Va-Tech and they are out of the running according to Gerald.

snp
11/16/2006, 10:35 AM
Jones doesn't think he can throw well enough to be a D1 QB. His coaches are saying otherwise.

I'd love to take him on as a project for a year or two. If that doesn't work, switch him over to RB/WR/Whatever. What's with all these kids nowadays wanting to play as a true freshman and being so intent upon it? The NFL doesn't draft kids based on their true freshman season.

BASSooner
11/16/2006, 12:59 PM
Jones doesn't think he can throw well enough to be a D1 QB. His coaches are saying otherwise.

I'd love to take him on as a project for a year or two. If that doesn't work, switch him over to RB/WR/Whatever. What's with all these kids nowadays wanting to play as a true freshman and being so intent upon it? The NFL doesn't draft kids based on their true freshman season.
Heupel can teach him well, if the staff chooses to. I'd think he would be pretty decent. He'd be a Troy Smith clone, just not as good of a passer.

Widescreen
11/16/2006, 03:35 PM
Heupel can teach him well, if the staff chooses to. I'd think he would be pretty decent. He'd be a Troy Smith clone, just not as good of a passer.
Then he's not much of a clone.

soonerbugg
11/16/2006, 07:32 PM
One Word: FLYNN

birddog
11/16/2006, 08:48 PM
The NFL doesn't draft kids based on their true freshman season.

well, they DO still like to play football, no matter if they are freshman or seniors.

soonerthanu
11/22/2006, 12:11 AM
Well it appears that Keith Nichol is going to let Bob and Josh come up for an in home visit.

FourKings
11/22/2006, 09:54 AM
I'm just not getting it either, why we're having such a hard time getting a QB here, its not like we havent been in the top ten for the last what, 5-6 years and on the tube all the time.
We have a Heisman winner in JW, and major candidate in AD, OL from hell, and NO stand out underclassman ala Snead waiting, I just dont get it....maybe Bob doesnt like telling kids what they want to hear like Mack does?

Anyway.....Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Sooner in Tampa
11/22/2006, 10:12 AM
I'm just not getting it either, why we're having such a hard time getting a QB here, its not like we havent been in the top ten for the last what, 5-6 years and on the tube all the time.
We have a Heisman winner in JW, and major candidate in AD, OL from hell, and NO stand out underclassman ala Snead waiting, I just dont get it....maybe Bob doesnt like telling kids what they want to hear like Mack does?I will say again...IF we put on the full court press for Garcia, I think he would be a Sooner. He is leaning to be a ****, but me thinks that Josh and Bob could fix that.

Herr Scholz
11/22/2006, 10:39 AM
....maybe Bob doesnt like telling kids what they want to hear like Mack does?
This oft repeated fantasy is completely bogus. Please look at the following ratings of Brown vs. Stoops from their former players. If you'll look at the question "Coach fulfilled the promises made during recruitment", you'll see that former players say Mack lived up to his word more than Stoops.

http://coachratings.com/rating_result_compare.jsp?cID=29&ccID=32

FourKings
11/22/2006, 11:44 AM
Lol....why did I know Herr would reply to this.....;))

I read it, and all that being said, as with all "polls" there are tons of variables that go along with them, Bob comes across to me, having never met him, prolly never will, as a no nonsense, serious as hell kinda guy, Mack comes across like my favorite uncle or something along those lines....maybe that plays into it, coming across as a tough to play for coach probably does affect recruits like that.....Coach Switzer, who'm I have met and love, comes across more like Mack to me....thats a good thing in my view as far as recruiting.

soonerbugg
11/22/2006, 01:04 PM
As a statistician, let me say this: ANY DATA CAN BE SKEWED TO MAKE ABOUT ANY POINT.
For instance, we do not know who did the polling. Were the respondants hand picked? As in disgruntled Sooners. We don't know.

It is a fact that none of the major political polling agencies even call the southern states because they are too conservative. They are concerned these states would skew their expected results. Is this what is happening with this poll?

Also, where can you change coaches names. Can you compare say, Les Miles to Francione? If the only 2 coaches compared are Brown & Stoops, then be suspicious of a Texas slanted author.

Anyway, believe what you will, I'll take Bob every time.

Herr Scholz
11/22/2006, 02:13 PM
I agree that stats can definitely be skewed one way or another and 15 former players certainly isn't a huge sample either. However,I just get irked when people insinuate that Mack is dishonest and just tells kids what they want to hear to get them on campus. Find me a disgruntled ex-UT player who says he was lied to. Mack has his faults, but he's a genuinely nice man and doesn't have a dishonest bone in his body.

A couple of examples of it being the exact opposite: Keith Joseph to a&m and the stellar OL Eric Winston to Miami. Joseph wanted to be a RB and Mack said he would play FB at Texas. Joseph ended up going to a&m because Fran told him he could play RB. Ended up playing FB there. Winston wanted to be a TE and Mack told him he's play OT at Texas. He ended up going to Miami, and while they gave him a shot at TE his first year, he ended up at OT and is now in the NFL. There are a ton of examples like this.

FourKings
11/22/2006, 02:36 PM

I agree, depends on how the questions are asked, and to whom they are asked.
Not bad mouthing Bob, its just how he comes across is all, and I think that kinda hurts recruiting, all I'm sayin....

Herr Scholz
11/22/2006, 05:28 PM

I agree, depends on how the questions are asked, and to whom they are asked.
Not bad mouthing Bob, its just how he comes across is all, and I think that kinda hurts recruiting, all I'm sayin....
That and the inexplicable mass exodus of O linemen from your program, the pending NCAA punishment which won't be handed down until after signing day, hampering recruiting this offseason, and the fact that Stoops lost his best recruiting tool. He can't tell everyone who will listen that Texas can't win the big one anymore.

Mjcpr
11/22/2006, 05:44 PM
That and the inexplicable mass exodus of O linemen from your program, the pending NCAA punishment which won't be handed down until after signing day, hampering recruiting this offseason, and the fact that Stoops lost his best recruiting tool. He can't tell everyone who will listen that Texas can't win the big one anymore.

Speaking of tools.....

KingDavid
11/22/2006, 08:59 PM
Lol....why did I know Herr would reply to this.....;))

I thought the exact same thing. It's like chumming for sharks. Talk a little mack smack, and Herr comes running.

KingDavid
11/22/2006, 09:02 PM
Mack has his faults, but he's a genuinely nice man and doesn't have a bone in his body.

Fixed.:D

KingDavid
11/27/2006, 12:18 PM
Does Chizik's departure for ISU impact Brantley's decision? Along with Greg Davis, he was the main recruiter for Brantley.

I'm thinking the answer is "no" because he's the defensive coordinator. But interested to hear others' thoughts.

If he's looking for a legit excuse to change his mind . . . which I would think he might be . . . then this could possibly be one.

KingDavid
11/27/2006, 08:54 PM
The silence on the Brantley front is deafening. Something must be going on.

So an update appears to be in order, but it's just a bunch of rumors every where you turn:

Jarrait Lee - considering decommit from LSU. Speculation.
Zach Lee - gone to Nebbish.
Cade Cooper - ????
Stephen Garcia - seems that many people think we'd get him if we pushed hard enough.
Jonathan Brantley - hasn't told us to stop calling . . . but the official word is that he's rock solid verbal to Texas and would sooner cut off a testicle than decommit.
Nichols - getting an in-home visit this week from Stoops and co.

. . . and the biggest rumor from the mill . . .

Matt Flynn (last year's Sugar Bowl MVP) to transfer from LSU after the season is over . . . and he'd be able to transfer right away because he will have already graduated from LSU and have a full year to play.

Of course, this is all a very dense fog to me. But if I had to bet right now, I'd put my $$ down that Matt Flynn is NOT going to be at LSU next year . . . and that being said, I can't think of anywhere better for him to play than for us. So my money is on Matt Flynn to be our opening day starter for 2007.

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2006, 09:48 PM
Here is ANOTHER name to add to the QB list. Robert Mavre from Plant HS here in Tampa. His team is 13-0 and he is awesome!!! I watched him play two weeks in row here on local T.V. and he something else. He seems to be a little more polished than Garcia. With Shula out...Mavre is listening...

“Not only did he have a good relationship with Coach Shula, but he learned they were good people. There have been people in the college recruiting game that haven’t been honest, and there is always double-dealing going on, but everything with Alabama was up front, genuine, and honest,” Weiner said. “The only thing he’s thinking about right now is beating Booker T. Washington. We will listen to other possibilities and see who else is out there, but one thing he now has is a chance to enjoy being recruiting and taking trips, so that could be a good thing.
“Robert’s stock is in a much different place now than he was over the summer, and there is no double-dealing on his part. He just won’t have any interest in hearing anything until Dec. 10 [day after the Class 4A state championship game].

A little info

As of this week, Plant quarterback Robert Marve has 3,795 yards passing which places him third behind Ponte Vedra Nease’s Tim Tebow (4,286 in 2004) and Tallahassee Leon’s Jimmy Jordan (4,098, in 1975) for passing yards in a season.
Marve’s 43 touchdowns in a season also places him in second in the state behind Tebow (46 in 2004).
His 233 completions has him sitting just behind Tallahassee Leon quarterback Wally Woodham (248 in 1974), Tebow (257 in 2004) and Jordan (263 in 1975).
Combining his passing yards (3,795) and his rushing yards (712) and his receiving yards (23) gives him a total of 4,530 in total offense. That would place him second behind Tebow (5,552 in 2004).
The Florida records are based on research by the Orlando Sentinel’s Buddy Collings.
Of course, Marve and the Panthers will play in the Class 4A state semifinal Friday against visiting Miami Booker T. Washington at 7:30 p.m.

KingDavid
11/27/2006, 11:51 PM
Geez. Nice detective work, Carolina. More on Marve from Rivals:

Pro-style quarterback
Tampa (FL) Plant

Ht: 6-foot-1 (Event)
Wt: 189 lbs
Forty: 4.65 secs
Bench max: 240 pounds
Squat max: 315 pounds
Vertical: 26 inches
Class: 2007 (High School)

He's a four star recruit, and the #8 pro-style quarterback in the country.

Looks to be a bit smallish, though . . . ???

westcoast_sooner
11/28/2006, 01:39 AM
Questions about Marve. First, I didn't see OU on his Rivals interest list at all. He says he'll listen to other opportunities, but will that mean looking at schools that he didn't list before? He looks good throwing the ball in one video.

snp
11/28/2006, 02:01 AM
Questions about Marve. First, I didn't see OU on his Rivals interest list at all. He says he'll listen to other opportunities, but will that mean looking at schools that he didn't list before? He looks good throwing the ball in one video.

Every QB commit that is having questions about their current school is considering OU.

Sooner in Tampa
11/28/2006, 06:22 AM
Questions about Marve. First, I didn't see OU on his Rivals interest list at all. He says he'll listen to other opportunities, but will that mean looking at schools that he didn't list before? He looks good throwing the ball in one video.Mavre's stock has rose dramatically since he commited Alabama. He had an incredible senior year and he is one game away from leading his team to the state championship game. I think the whole landscape has changed for this kid.

SNP is right...any senior QB with any common sense will listen to Bob/Josh.

Herr Scholz
11/28/2006, 10:51 AM
The silence on the Brantley front is deafening. Something must be going on.
OK, no offense mburton, but this struck me as pretty funny. You haven't seen anything concrete to contradict the consistent comments from the Brantley family that he's a completely solid verbal to Texas, but you're going to go ahead and assume that there's something in the works for OU anyway? :D

Did you ever entertain the idea that the something that might be going on is a big bag of nothing for OU on the Brantley front?

Widescreen
11/28/2006, 12:13 PM
OK, no offense mburton, but this struck me as pretty funny. You haven't seen anything concrete to contradict the consistent comments from the Brantley family that he's a completely solid verbal to Texas, but you're going to go ahead and assume that there's something in the works for OU anyway? :D

Did you ever entertain the idea that the something that might be going on is a big bag of nothing for OU on the Brantley front?
I really hope we get Brantley. Partly because we certainly could use him and partly to hear you say "Doesn't matter, we didn't really need him anyway." :D

Herr Scholz
11/28/2006, 02:46 PM
I really hope we get Brantley. Partly because we certainly could use him and partly to hear you say "Doesn't matter, we didn't really need him anyway." :D
No, that's the OU mantra that I've already heard repeatedly: "We'll win with him or without him..." ;)

Which begs the question, if OU is going to win with or without him, why all the consternation over where he'll end up?

stoopified
11/28/2006, 03:02 PM
Whomever we get or don't get Bob is gonna sleep well at night and so will I knowing Coach Stoops is in control. NO 1 player is bigger than the OU football program.

Widescreen
11/28/2006, 03:44 PM
Well, we could do without another headcase at QB, that's for sure.

Desert Sapper
11/28/2006, 05:16 PM
No, that's the OU mantra that I've already heard repeatedly: "We'll win with him or without him..." ;)

Damn straight, skippy. OU's won a hell of a lot without superstar bluechip QBs. This Brantley kid sounds like he has the right attitude to be molded. With Josh Heupel doing the molding, any QB is bound to excel. If they have extraordinary physical attributes, that's the icing on the cake. If we can steal somebody out of the whorn camp, it's that much better. Hook 'em The bottom line is the same it has been for any player to ever consider OU. Either win championships with us, or watch us win championships someplace else. :D

Herr Scholz
11/28/2006, 06:09 PM
The bottom line is the same it has been for any player to ever consider OU. Either win championships with us, or watch us win championships someplace else. :D
Well, the rest of us actually need good players in order to win. So, why don't you guys just leave him alone since you can win with any old scrub. ;)

KingDavid
11/28/2006, 09:01 PM

That would require far too much sobriety, level-headedness, and in general, a certain amount of objectivity of which I am completely incapable!:D

Seriously, you're right. You totally exposed my wishful thinking . . . leave it to Horn to keep me honest.

All I can say is that Mack Brown is a loser cheapskate with not a shred of moral fiber in his whole being. So there.;)

SgtSooner
11/29/2006, 10:34 AM
What do you make of the Nichols kid & his family making such a quick decision to come and visit. Is he the real deal and what we would be looking for?

Widescreen
11/29/2006, 10:40 AM
Well, it's certainly better than him saying thanks but no thanks. It's key to get him on campus and see our facilities and team. If he can be swayed, that's probably what needs to happen. Comparing our stuff to MSU's should be no contest. Just wish he could've been there on gameday.

Herr Scholz
11/29/2006, 02:22 PM
That would require far too much sobriety, level-headedness, and in general, a certain amount of objectivity of which I am completely incapable!:D

Seriously, you're right. You totally exposed my wishful thinking . . . leave it to Horn to keep me honest.

All I can say is that Mack Brown is a loser cheapskate with not a shred of moral fiber in his whole being. So there.;)
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mburton71 again.
:D

jdsooner
11/29/2006, 02:29 PM
What do you make of the Nichols kid & his family making such a quick decision to come and visit. Is he the real deal and what we would be looking for?

He is an early graduate who will start school in January. He has to make up his mind NOW!

Boomer.....
11/29/2006, 03:52 PM
I have been hearing rumors about Brantley recommitting from UT and committing to OU. I hope it is true but Flynn would be nice also, even if only for a year.

snp
11/29/2006, 05:40 PM
I have been hearing rumors about Brantley recommitting from UT and committing to OU.

This sentence is absurd on multiple levels:

Those rumors are really old.
They have already been discussed and dismissed in this same thread.
REcommitting to Texas and then committing to OU?

Zuh?

Herr Scholz
11/30/2006, 12:14 PM
With Snead leaving Texas at mid-term, I'd say Brantley's commitment to UT would be even more secure at this point.

Widescreen
11/30/2006, 12:23 PM
I guess it depends on if he wants to redshirt for 1 year (which it sounds like he does) and then be a backup for 2.

Herr Scholz
11/30/2006, 12:34 PM
I guess it depends on if he wants to redshirt for 1 year (which it sounds like he does) and then be a backup for 2.
You're not seeing the whole picture. The city of Austin, university and the football program in general including the coaching staff and family atmosphere has some hand in it as well. His words, not mine.

Widescreen
11/30/2006, 01:22 PM
You're not seeing the whole picture. The city of Austin, university and the football program in general including the coaching staff and family atmosphere has some hand in it as well. His words, not mine.
I'm not saying he's going to decommit, but isn't that pretty much what all recruits say?

Sooner in Tampa
12/1/2006, 07:22 AM
Well, we can cross Garcia off of OUr list. :( It is apparent that we did not really want Garcia that bad.

TAMPA - Jefferson senior quarterback Stephen Garcia announced on his TBO.com blog that he will have a news conference Wednesday at the school to reveal his college decision.
While Garcia did not say where he was headed, South Carolina has been his No. 1 choice throughout the recruiting process, but he will officially chose between that school, Oklahoma and Mississippi.
Garcia hosted a dinner earlier this week with a Mississippi assistant coach, Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier ate with his family Tuesday, and Oklahoma's coaches postponed their meeting last week.
"I'm just ready to get it over with now. It's a done deal. The school knows I'm coming," Garcia said. "Now is the right time to do it."
As much as Garcia does not want to, he plans to graduate in December and enroll in his new college in January in hopes of competing for playing time as a freshman.
"I don't want to do that, but I will have to do it. I want to play, and graduating early gives me the best opportunity," Garcia said. "They said I can come back for prom, and on extended weekends, so I will be back home."
Garcia will graduate with Hillsborough County's all-time leading yardage and touchdown records.

Scott D
12/1/2006, 09:21 AM
I think it was more Garcia wanting Spurrier than anything.

PAW
12/1/2006, 09:23 AM
Nichol is a Sooner!

Scout (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=8&toinid=667&yr=2007)

Edit. Yea, I must be slowing down in my old age.

Sooner in Tampa
12/1/2006, 09:45 AM
I think it was more Garcia wanting Spurrier than anything.That's possible, but Stephen did open the door when the Bomar fiasco went down. My daughter had talked to him and there was some interest, but oh well. He is going to be a C0ck.

LSUdeek
12/1/2006, 09:59 AM
interesting, cause they got a blue-chip commit last year in Smelley. he played the first game of the season (stupid, imo.... considering newton ended up playing way better than mitchell anyways) and USC was lucky to be able to get a medical redshirt for him this season due to a heel injury.

i don't think this kid is going to play immediately by any stretch of the imagination. not in the fun-n-gun, and not with a blue chip recruit ahead of him with 1 full year in the system.

Sooner in Tampa
12/1/2006, 10:03 AM
interesting, cause they got a blue-chip commit last year in Smelley. he played the first game of the season (stupid, imo.... considering newton ended up playing way better than mitchell anyways) and USC was lucky to be able to get a medical redshirt for him this season due to a heel injury.

i don't think this kid is going to play immediately by any stretch of the imagination. not in the fun-n-gun, and not with a blue chip recruit ahead of him with 1 full year in the system.I thought the same thing about USC...they had Smelly who was an Alabama HS phenom. I REALLY thought we could land him pretty easily with our current depth chart. I guess he thinks he can beat out the others at SC.

HEH...he is going to try and beat a Smelly C0ck.

:( I couldn't resist.:(

chbrew09
12/1/2006, 02:37 PM
Nichol is a Sooner!

Scout (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=8&toinid=667&yr=2007)

Edit. Yea, I must be slowing down in my old age.

i guess we can finally bid farewell to this thread...you've been good to us, but we got our man! Nichol for heisman

csbst2
12/1/2006, 03:36 PM
So has anyone heard anymore about Matt Flynn from LSU transfering? It would make for an ideal situation. Let the younger guys progress a year and get a vet who could make a title run.

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2006, 03:56 PM
So has anyone heard anymore about Matt Flynn from LSU transfering? It would make for an ideal situation. Let the younger guys progress a year and get a vet who could make a title run.

Yes, there's been some discussion on this-in this thread even.

JaMarcus Russell goes pro=Matt Flynn staying where he is, most likely.

JaMarcus Russell staying at LSU=Matt Flynn transferring somewhere. Not sure if it'd be here or not. Stoops has told Nichol that he will not be taking any more QBs for next year and that he will be given every opportunity to compete with Halzle and Bradford for the starting job.

csbst2
12/1/2006, 04:11 PM
Should be interesting to see what these guys can do, the nice part is they do not need to be great, they just need to make some throws to keep from stacking the line, and manage the game. They will have so much talent around them that they can progress thru the year. Kind of reminds me of when the Steelers put in Big Ben. They just let the guys around him be the main attraction, and only asked him to do minor things, not win games.

starrca23
12/1/2006, 05:26 PM
I wonder if the Nichols situation will have any ripple effect on the rest of recruiting.

SouthTxSooner
12/4/2006, 10:43 AM
Has anyone heard anything about Mishak Rivas from South TX? He reminds me of Q. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m68nrNtRaJ4

Sooner in Tampa
12/7/2006, 02:04 PM
It's official...Garcia is a ****!

Widescreen
12/7/2006, 02:16 PM
Is that your opinion or are you saying he's a Gamecock? ;)

Sooner in Tampa
12/7/2006, 02:28 PM
Is that your opinion or are you saying he's a Gamecock? ;):chicken: He is a Gamecock...his mentioned that Ole Miss was # 2 on his list :eek: then Bama :eek: . He said that the coaches from OU were treated him and his family well...That was about the gist of his commit speech.

The :chicken: fans are might full of themselves over on CockyTalk.

Sooner in Tampa
12/12/2006, 06:08 AM
For what it's worth....John Brantley's Uncle used to play for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and he has a local radio show M-F 4-7 here in Tampa. He had John on the radio late last week...Thur or Fri and John was getting ready for his "official" visit @ sexaT. Scott talked to him after the visit and John said it went "well".

Well last nigh Scott Brantley was talking about it and a caller called in and asked where John was going to go to school...the funny thing was that his uncle said it was between sexaT, OU, and Florida :eek: ...Scott had said that he really hoped that John would end up at UF...if is only a 30 minute drive.

Sooooo, I called in because I know that Scott considers Bob Stoops one of the best coaches in college football. Scott's exact words were "if he ain't going to Florida, I am want him to go and play for a great coach like Bobby Stoops." I think Brantley and Stoops are "buddies" because he was a linebacker @ UF and he did radio for the Gators during the time that Stoops was the DC. Brantley has always held Stoops in high regard and is pretty consistent with his praise for the Sooners.

I guess the point is that Scott Brantley really made it seem like John has not made up his mind yet...which prompted my phone call.

Kind of interesting.

Herr Scholz
12/12/2006, 10:19 AM
I guess the point is that Scott Brantley really made it seem like John has not made up his mind yet...which prompted my phone call.

Kind of interesting.
The speculation on this kid will last until signing day.

fwsooner22
12/12/2006, 10:36 AM
There was never a chance that Sexat was going to end up with 4 or 5 first line QB's. They have lost one and I will bet that they will lose at least one more recruit......It has happened to us many times......It's about playing time and opportunity with most kids (at least the ones with lots of talent).....

There is a HUGE opportunity to get immediate playing time in Norman with a team with a chance to win it all. Not so at Sexat right now. Unless there a couple more concussions (uhum) I mean stingers.

Herr Scholz
12/12/2006, 11:03 AM
There was never a chance that Sexat was going to end up with 4 or 5 first line QB's.
I agree. I predicted Snead would transfer a while ago. Bad timing for him with McCoy having such a good season.

There is a HUGE opportunity to get immediate playing time in Norman with a team with a chance to win it all. Not so at Sexat right now. Unless there a couple more concussions (uhum) I mean stingers.
I think it'll come down to where and for whom he wants to play and if he truly wants to redshirt like he says. We'll see if he's truly in love with Austin like he says as well.

Harry Beanbag
12/12/2006, 04:42 PM
Future playing time at the QB position is worse at Florida than probably any school in the country right now, they're stocked. I just have a difficult time seeing him go there. OU isn't even in the picture for Brantley since Nichol came onboard.

KingDavid
12/12/2006, 09:00 PM
My understanding is that Stoops assured Nichol that he would not take anymore recruits at QB. So that leaves Brantley stuck with his stupid decision.

I think the only room for a new addition is if there is the "transfer" that has been previously discussed . . . and that I hope, hope, hope is true.

KingDavid
12/12/2006, 09:02 PM
My understanding is that Stoops assured Nichol that he would not take anymore recruits at QB. So that leaves Brantley stuck with his stupid decision.

I think the only room for a new addition is if there is the "transfer" that has been previously discussed . . . and that I hope, hope, hope is true.

But now that I think about it, there's no way Flynn is going to transfer. He'd need to give notice before the end of the semester in order to enroll for the Spring . . . and there's no way he makes that decision until he knows that JR is leaving. So silly me.

Scott D
12/12/2006, 09:43 PM
But now that I think about it, there's no way Flynn is going to transfer. He'd need to give notice before the end of the semester in order to enroll for the Spring . . . and there's no way he makes that decision until he knows that JR is leaving. So silly me.

Considering Flynn won't graduate until May, why would he give notice during the spring?