PDA

View Full Version : THE OFFICIAL QB RECRUITING THREAD

Pages : 1 [2]

snp
12/12/2006, 10:27 PM
If it's not Flynn, I don't want to take on another QB.

TampaGator17
12/13/2006, 01:27 AM
Hey Sooners, just figured I'd update on what's been happening with Brantley... It looks like Florida is going to be stealing him back from the Hook 'em crowd. I know a lot of you were hoping to get him, but at least you won't have to play against him on a yearly basis. Good luck to you all in the Fiesta Bowl.

Boomer Sooner and Go Gators!

Frozen Sooner
12/13/2006, 01:30 AM
Considering Flynn won't graduate until May, why would he give notice during the spring?

Flynn is supposedly a Fall graduate.

Which still doesn't matter. I have a feeling that if he wants to show up on campus in the Spring, they'll make room for him in a grad seminar or three.

snp
12/13/2006, 01:41 AM
Hey Sooners, just figured I'd update on what's been happening with Brantley... It looks like Florida is going to be stealing him back from the Hook 'em crowd. I know a lot of you were hoping to get him, but at least you won't have to play against him on a yearly basis. Good luck to you all in the Fiesta Bowl.

Boomer Sooner and Go Gators!

Okay sure. Whatever you say.

Scott D
12/13/2006, 01:47 AM
Flynn is supposedly a Fall graduate.

Which still doesn't matter. I have a feeling that if he wants to show up on campus in the Spring, they'll make room for him in a grad seminar or three.

*shrug* last thing I saw on a LSU board was that he had 1.5 semesters left to complete as of November.

Frozen Sooner
12/13/2006, 01:50 AM
I've heard some pretty convincing stuff that Flynn is looking to transfer at semester and expects to graduate. Whether that's true or not is, of course, subject to speculation.

Scott D
12/13/2006, 01:55 AM
I tend to believe that his decision regardless won't happen until late Jan-early Feb (ie..by the cutoff for underclassmen to declare for the NFL draft). Either way, I'd say we'd be looking at a summer/fall transfer just on those grounds.

Frozen Sooner
12/13/2006, 02:03 AM
I think the cutoff for the NFL draft is Jan 14th and that Flynn's going to know what Russell is going to do well before that. If we don't hear a formal announcement by the start of Spring classes, then I don't think he's coming in.

The Consumate Showman
12/13/2006, 09:52 AM
I think Russell will go pro and Flynn will stay to try and beat Perrilloux out for '07. Brantley is going to go to Florida and they'll move Newton to WR.

Tebow will be there for three more years, but I can see Urban running the 2 QB system with Tebow running and Brantley throwing - which I hope they do because it will keep them out of contention most years for the NC game (yes, I know they got in this year, but wait and see how bad they get throttled...it'll be like when Richt had UGA primed to go to the NC game and got his arse handed to him running the 2 QB in the SEC champ game.)

The kid that made a bad decision was Waggoner going to UF. He might jump ship...but I fell pretty good about Nichol coming in and competing right away; and you've got to love it that he'll be here all spring long to learn and progress. Should be interesting to see which of the 3 QB's we have will play. Oh let the QB controversy begin!

Octavian
12/13/2006, 10:21 AM
any chance a Notre Dame win in the Sugar (yeah right) or a bad performance from Russel will cause him to stay in Baton Rouge another year?

starrca23
12/13/2006, 02:31 PM
Russel is decent, the problem is there are not a lot of quality prospects at QB. He won't go super high, but he will be the number 2 QB.

KingDavid
12/13/2006, 10:41 PM
Brantley to Florida? What sort of magic potion is Urban slipping into these kids' drinks?

Ash
12/13/2006, 11:07 PM
Maybe he tells them:
"Oh, that other guy? Don't worry, we recruited him as a wide receiver..."

KingDavid
12/14/2006, 12:17 AM
Maybe he tells them:
"Oh, that other guy? Don't worry, we recruited him as a wide receiver..."

Like Mack Brown. Just tellin' 'em what they want to hear.
Ain't that right, Herr?

Frozen Sooner
12/14/2006, 01:40 AM
I imagine telling a kid what he wants to hear is probably a more effective recruiting strategy than telling him what he doesn't want to hear.

"Actually, kid, I'm recruiting you for depth. I don't think you'll ever start here, but if you work really hard you might get a couple of snaps in the fourth quarter versus Baylor. But probably not. Now get me another slice of your momma's pie."

Sooner in Tampa
12/14/2006, 06:19 AM
Brantley to Florida? What sort of magic potion is Urban slipping into these kids' drinks?From the sounds of what Brantley's uncle was saying...it is kind of appealling the John to be able to play so close to home...along with the fact that the kid has never really been anywhere other than Marion County Florida.

Some kids just don't want to "go off to school"

Herr Scholz
12/14/2006, 11:01 AM
Like Mack Brown. Just tellin' 'em what they want to hear.
Ain't that right, Herr?
Uh huh. ;)

Ash
12/14/2006, 11:51 AM
I imagine telling a kid what he wants to hear is probably a more effective recruiting strategy than telling him what he doesn't want to hear.

"Actually, kid, I'm recruiting you for depth. I don't think you'll ever start here, but if you work really hard you might get a couple of snaps in the fourth quarter versus Baylor. But probably not. Now get me another slice of your momma's pie."

Then, at the end of his freshman year, his momma goes and talks to the bad coach when her baby boy has more splinters in his butt than passes in a game...a press conference is held...

;)

LSUdeek
12/14/2006, 01:35 PM
Russel is decent, the problem is there are not a lot of quality prospects at QB. He won't go super high, but he will be the number 2 QB.

I'd agree that his play hasn't been spectacular, but he might just be the best physical specimen ever, in terms of a pro-style QB.

Herr Scholz
12/14/2006, 02:15 PM
I'd agree that his play hasn't been spectacular, but he might just be the best physical specimen ever, in terms of a pro-style QB.
Vince Young. The new pro style that is.

Scott D
12/14/2006, 02:34 PM
Vince Young. The new pro style that is.

1990s - Michael Vick. The new pro style that is.
1980s - Randall Cunningham. The new pro style that is.

OSUAggie
12/14/2006, 04:30 PM

Rohan Davey > JaMarcus Russell

LSUdeek
12/15/2006, 11:40 AM
Rohan Davey > JaMarcus Russell

6 inches shorter, fat, and not willing to practice in the least.

Scott D
12/15/2006, 11:43 AM
I find amusement that a Poke is throwing out QB smack...their best QB of the last 20 years is waiting his turn behind Joe Crede in baseball.

starrca23
12/15/2006, 01:10 PM
The whole physical specimen thing kills me. If they were all such physical specimens then they would be at reciever or RB, Jamarcus is athletic...for a quarterback.

LSUdeek
12/15/2006, 03:45 PM
The whole physical specimen thing kills me. If they were all such physical specimens then they would be at reciever or RB, Jamarcus is athletic...for a quarterback.

I'm just talking about being 6'6" 260, being able to throw it 70 yards, and being able to make throws with 300 pound DE's hanging on.

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/15/2006, 04:04 PM
I find amusement that a Poke is throwing out QB smack...their best QB of the last 20 years is waiting his turn behind Joe Crede in baseball.

Pfft they would disagree...

"Bobby Reid is not the next Vince Young, he is the First Bobby Reid." :rolleyes:

Mjcpr
12/15/2006, 04:47 PM
I'm just talking about being 6'6" 260, being able to throw it 70 yards, and being able to make throws with 300 pound DE's hanging on.

The x-ray vision comes in handy too.

snp
12/15/2006, 04:53 PM

JR was considered one of the top basketball players in the nation as he came outta college. But that was before he ate his kicker to gain about 50 pounds.

Desert Sapper
12/15/2006, 05:16 PM
6 inches shorter, fat, and not willing to practice in the least.

Them's pretty strong words about a QB that was the Sugar Bowl MVP as a senior and led y'all to your first outright SEC title in 13 years. He was also the first QB in your history to throw for more than 3,000 yards in a season. That would be almost like us saying Josh Heupel sucked.

Way to degrade one of your former players out of anticipation of somebody new.

CatfishSooner
12/15/2006, 05:45 PM
Them's pretty strong words about a QB that was the Sugar Bowl MVP as a senior and led y'all to your first outright SEC title in 13 years. He was also the first QB in your history to throw for more than 3,000 yards in a season. That would be almost like us saying Josh Heupel sucked.

Yeah!:mad:

Scott D
12/15/2006, 05:49 PM
eh it's more like saying Cale Gundy sucked...which he did. :P

LSUdeek
12/15/2006, 05:53 PM

It's true. That's why Josh Booty and Marcus Randall kept playing, even though they didn't have the talent of Davey and Russell, respectively, because Saban didn't like players who didn't take practice seriously.

Davey is now almost 240 lbs at a generous 6'0".

OSUAggie
12/16/2006, 09:41 AM

And your best QB in the last 20 years is.... doing taxes? What? Fields has forced the ChiSox to move him up by his performance. I'll take that.

starrca23
12/16/2006, 10:05 AM
H-E-I-S-M-A-N (without ACL's) not too bad.

OSUAggie
12/16/2006, 10:20 AM
Right, he was great in college. I was responding to the insinuation that Fields is terrible b/c he's now "waiting his turn" behind Crede (ie post-college success), while White had absolutely 0 success beyond college in professional sports. Not saying White wasn't great, as he definitely made a believer out of me.

Scott D
12/16/2006, 11:20 AM
And your best QB in the last 20 years is.... doing taxes? What? Fields has forced the ChiSox to move him up by his performance. I'll take that.

But I unlike you, was not throwing out QB smack. But at least White made an effort to make the NFL.

OSUAggie
12/16/2006, 12:01 PM
Fields could've "made an effort" to make the NFL, but he was a much better baseball prospect, and now he's playing in the bigs. I was just saying that Rohan Davey was better @LSU than JaMarcus Russell currently is... I don't really see how that's QB "smack"... Apparently you do.

KingDavid
12/16/2006, 12:33 PM

he makes a good point, here.:O

yermom
12/16/2006, 12:57 PM

more like 5-6 years ;)

Scott D
12/16/2006, 01:14 PM
Fields could've "made an effort" to make the NFL, but he was a much better baseball prospect, and now he's playing in the bigs. I was just saying that Rohan Davey was better @LSU than JaMarcus Russell currently is... I don't really see how that's QB "smack"... Apparently you do.

If you consider a 'cup of tea' at the end of the season when rosters get expanded to 40 man rosters as 'playing in the bigs' I guess ya got me there.

OSUAggie
12/16/2006, 01:30 PM
He'll be there next year. 'Twas just a cup o' tea this year, but he'll be a solid major leaguer.

Scott D
12/16/2006, 02:39 PM
as an fyi aggie, they 'may' move Fields to shortstop.

starrca23
12/16/2006, 09:57 PM
Ryan Leaf was 6'6" and could throw 70 yards.

Sooner in Tampa
12/21/2006, 09:26 AM
According to the Tampa Trib Brantley has informed Urban Meyer that he will be attending UF next season.

Damn...Urban must REALLY good...Tebow will only be a Soph next year and Brantley is still going to UF...he must be planning on redshirting.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/22/2006, 03:38 PM
According to the Tampa Trib Brantley has informed Urban Meyer that he will be sexing up Meyer's daughter next season.

He's already done sexing up :mack: :P

Fixed, with my theory anyway.