PDA

View Full Version : McCoy and Snead

mizzOUstu702
9/8/2006, 03:08 PM
Can these guys really be that good? I mean, look at the circumstances. Even before the summer began--after the Hook 'em coaches got a look at them in the spring--they go ahead and recruit a top ten QB, John Brantley, out of Florida. So, let's get serious--they can't be that confident in their depth, right? I could be wrong...

4everasooner
9/8/2006, 03:15 PM
we will see this weekend when they play alittle better D. Need to get some pressure on them and score early to see how they handle it.

Readyfor8
9/8/2006, 03:18 PM
Look at all these factors:

1) Competition - They were playing a bad UNT team.

2) Hype - When did Texas have one QB who couldn't walk on water, or turn water into weed?

3) Supporting Cast - The horns are stacked at Wide Reciever, and because of that McCoy had to get the ball in the vicinity of the wideout for his first TD. That TD would have been batted down by any BigXII DB, and it was juggled for 10 yards.

4) Dual QB System - When have the horns won anything with two starting QBs? Mack hasn't learned a thing since Applewhite/Simms? or Young/Mock.

All of this spells doom for the horns championship hopes this year, and they will lose this weekend.

JohnnyMack
9/8/2006, 03:20 PM
If they want to win, Saxet will have to establish the run and take some pressure off McCoy, which shouldn't be a huge problem seeing as how good Saxet's O Line is.

The question will be whether or not McCoy can come through in the clutch if it comes to that, I think he'll manage most of the offensive series' just fine.

OUster
9/8/2006, 03:24 PM
I agree with the fact that Horns' suck, even if that is not the point of the thread. However, I don't think recruiting a top 10 QB indicates their lack of faith in Sneed or McCoy. I think it is a smart thing to do. Remember, we recruited Bomar when we already had White sarting with Thompson and Grady backing him up. QB's go down. It is a fact. A good coach would see that, heck, I think even Coach Brownteeth sees it.

MRNOTDUCKS
9/8/2006, 03:25 PM
McCoy was throwing into double and triple coverage, really forcing the ball. He'll pay for that if he doesn't kick that bad habit.

TexasLidig8r
9/8/2006, 03:41 PM
Can these guys really be that good? I mean, look at the circumstances. Even before the summer began--after the Hook 'em coaches got a look at them in the spring--they go ahead and recruit a top ten QB, John Brantley, out of Florida. So, let's get serious--they can't be that confident in their depth, right? I could be wrong...

Actually, we recruited two great quarterbacks.. Brantley (who we got right out from under Urban Meyers' nose at Florida) and Chiles. (who in all likelihood will be turned into a flanker/rb/wr).

It's called competition. And at big dog programs like Texas (and yes, OU), you want athletes who aren't shy about competition.

Even though we had Vince, we recruited, but lost out on "The Idoit" and Ryan Perilliar... the two "best" recruits that Mack did not get. Thank God.

IronSooner
9/8/2006, 03:43 PM
Texas is going to recruit top-10 everything because they're Texas and chances are one of those Top-10 QBs grew up in that state. Doesn't mean anything. Nor does a Top-10 recruit ranking matter come September.

AustinTXHorn
9/8/2006, 04:28 PM
Texas recruited Eddie Jones at DE last year. They must think that Robison, Crowder, Orakpo, etc. all suck.

Stockpiling talent, especially QBs, is normal. You never know what will happen. Look at OU's situation from 2004 to 2005.

soonerreign
9/8/2006, 04:38 PM
I think we should refer to the two UT QBs as Opie2. (apologies to the sportswriter I stole this from)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/8/2006, 04:51 PM
GO BUCS, kick some bovine butt tomorrow!

kelloggOUballa
9/8/2006, 09:52 PM
Colt McCoy was a little 3-star recruit that they signed but never expected to play. When Vince left, they freaked out and went to sign Snead. Then, Snead turns out to not even be as good as McCoy. McCoy did a good job against Denton High, but I'm not expecting much out of him on Saturday. Sunshine Snead better be ready, or Texas could be in trouble. Well, they are either way....

horninokc
9/8/2006, 11:09 PM
Look at all these factors:

1) Competition - They were playing a bad UNT team.

2) Hype - When did Texas have one QB who couldn't walk on water, or turn water into weed?

3) Supporting Cast - The horns are stacked at Wide Reciever, and because of that McCoy had to get the ball in the vicinity of the wideout for his first TD. That TD would have been batted down by any BigXII DB, and it was juggled for 10 yards.

4) Dual QB System - When have the horns won anything with two starting QBs? Mack hasn't learned a thing since Applewhite/Simms? or Young/Mock.

All of this spells doom for the horns championship hopes this year, and they will lose this weekend.

Lesson learned. There is no "dual QB system" here. The only way Jevan, as much potential as he has, gets a snap this week is if the score is lopsided. Either way. Colt is the man and we swim or sink with him. As far as losing...maybe. Could go either way. I do know there are a lot of yankees wandering around Austin tonight.

Readyfor8
9/8/2006, 11:46 PM
Lesson learned. There is no "dual QB system" here. The only way Jevan, as much potential as he has, gets a snap this week is if the score is lopsided. Either way. Colt is the man and we swim or sink with him. As far as losing...maybe. Could go either way. I do know there are a lot of yankees wandering around Austin tonight.

McCoy is in there even after tOSU blanks you guys in the first quarter? I doubt it.

47straight
9/8/2006, 11:54 PM

I will bet every bit of my vCash if that is possible against your declaration. Snead played in the 3rd or 4th series - it proved to me that indeed Mack was the blind squirrel who found the nut last year.

If you lived here in Whornville, I'd bet the mortgage money on it too. We will see Snead, and it won't be mopup duty.

westcoast_sooner
9/9/2006, 12:09 AM
Stockpiling talent, especially QBs, is normal. You never know what will happen. Look at OU's situation from 2005 to 2006.

Fixed that for ya.

picasso
9/9/2006, 12:22 AM
Fixed that for ya.
heh.

westcoast_sooner
9/9/2006, 12:24 AM
Sooner or later, whichever QB :mack: has on the field is gonna face major pressure against a very good secondarry, whether it's this Saturday night in Austin, or a certain Saturday in October in Dallas. He forces one - it gets picked.

Objectively, Texas doesn't offer a kid that can't play, or who they don't think can be a player. Neither do we, and neither does any decent D1 program. But national championships are made and lost by kids playing under unbelievable pressure.

tOSU has the edge with experience with Ginn and Troy Smith. Their D is somewhat inexperienced.

UT likely has more defensive experience, and likely has a better O-Line, but is playing with a rookie at the most critical position on their team.

Seems to me that the game boils down how well young colt plays Saturday night. If he beats tOSU, we may need to re-evaluate how to play the kid when we get to Dallas. OTOH, my bet is that tOSU is going put a lot of heat on the kid, and he'll make some mistakes - throw a pick, fumble, take a few sacks at the very least.

And if :mack: brings Snead in, I don't think he'll see the same kind of D he saw on the few plays he had against North Texas. I'm guessing that's a bigger mistake.

I think it will be a close game, I think tOSU wins on the road.

AustinTXHorn
9/9/2006, 12:28 AM
Then, Snead turns out to not even be as good as McCoy.
Snead is a true freshman. Can you show me how many true freshmen are currently starting at QB for 1-A teams?

Readyfor8
9/9/2006, 12:58 AM
Snead is a true freshman. Can you show me how many true freshmen are currently starting at QB for 1-A teams?

I can tell you of one that won a National Championship in 1985. And he didn't have the "stacked" team sexaT supposedly has this year.

Texas Golfer
9/9/2006, 03:33 AM
I will bet every bit of my vCash if that is possible against your declaration. Snead played in the 3rd or 4th series - it proved to me that indeed Mack was the blind squirrel who found the nut last year.

If you lived here in Whornville, I'd bet the mortgage money on it too. We will see Snead, and it won't be mopup duty.

I agree.

Texas Golfer
9/9/2006, 03:35 AM
Lesson learned. There is no "dual QB system" here. The only way Jevan, as much potential as he has, gets a snap this week is if the score is lopsided. Either way. Colt is the man and we swim or sink with him.

I disagree. If McCoy is slow out of the gate, you'll see Snead in there. Mack never was one for sticking with a non-productive QB.

Desert Sapper
9/9/2006, 03:42 AM
tosu is overrated. They played NIU about as well as we played UAB last weekend (maybe slightly better). The only difference is that tosu turned the ball over 2 times (as opposed to 4), and Troy Smith had a good 1st quarter. Beyond the 21 points tosu scored in the 1st (all on Smith passes, two to Ginn), the buckeyes only outscored the Huskies of NIU 14-12...in the 'shoe. I'm willing to bet that Tejas, much as I hate them, has a much better D than NIU. Objectively, I see the whorns beating tosu with defense and a home crowd.

D always trumps O in big games. Just look at the last two National Championship games. We had great O and no D in '04. Same for suc last year. If tosu has a great D, why did they allow 343 total yards from NIU? Saxet allowed UNT 95 total yards last week. I don't care who they were playing...that's AWESOME. Chizik has players with a year of experience in his system. That doesn't really bode all that well for the suckeyes.

Flame away all you fans of 'The University of I Hate Texas'. I know you're out there.

Readyfor8
9/9/2006, 04:25 AM
tosu is overrated. They played NIU about as well as we played UAB last weekend (maybe slightly better). The only difference is that tosu turned the ball over 2 times (as opposed to 4), and Troy Smith had a good 1st quarter. Beyond the 21 points tosu scored in the 1st (all on Smith passes, two to Ginn), the buckeyes only outscored the Huskies of NIU 14-12...in the 'shoe. I'm willing to bet that Tejas, much as I hate them, has a much better D than NIU. Objectively, I see the whorns beating tosu with defense and a home crowd.

D always trumps O in big games. Just look at the last two National Championship games. We had great O and no D in '04. Same for suc last year. If tosu has a great D, why did they allow 343 total yards from NIU? Saxet allowed UNT 95 total yards last week. I don't care who they were playing...that's AWESOME. Chizik has players with a year of experience in his system. That doesn't really bode all that well for the suckeyes.

Flame away all you fans of 'The University of I Hate Texas'. I know you're out there.

How about, sexat has its best corner on the sideline? Does that not factor into the "great D" in Austin?

Taking away points scored by Ginn and Smith is stupid. Smith and Ginn are playing this game and this is the same offense that had less experience, a QB controversy, and some costly turnovers and still scored 22 on Texas last year. Comparing NIU's offense to tOSU's Defense to Texas' Offense vs. UNT is almost the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

tOSU will defeat your beloved horns this weekend sapper, get over it, its done, draw the chalk outline.

BillyBall
9/9/2006, 06:19 AM

IMO, there's no way all 3 stay in Austin for 4 years.

jrsooner
9/9/2006, 07:40 AM
IMO, there's no way all 3 stay in Austin for 4 years.hey...if we have so much fun with Mack running a two QB system...just think of all the fun when he would have to go to a 3 QB system. :)

ashley
9/9/2006, 08:55 AM
McCoy is gonna be a good player, but did you notice TU is not the same without VY on the option keep or pulling the ball down on the called pass and then running.

47straight
9/9/2006, 08:59 AM
McCoy is gonna be a good player, but did you notice TU is not the same without VY on the option keep or pulling the ball down on the called pass and then running.

While it is fun to reference the whorns as "TU", it is extremely insulting to the people of the University of Tulsa to be associated with the bad sportsmanship, lack of football knowledge, and general assclownage of the University of Texas. I think the aggies have perfected the form by using "t.u."

Soonrboy
9/9/2006, 11:42 AM
Where's GDC?

JohnnyMack
9/10/2006, 08:55 AM
If they want to win, Saxet will have to establish the run and take some pressure off McCoy, which shouldn't be a huge problem seeing as how good Saxet's O Line is.

The question will be whether or not McCoy can come through in the clutch if it comes to that, I think he'll manage most of the offensive series' just fine.

Guess not. I thought Saxet was very effective running the ball to the point where Greg Davis/McCoy should have been able to exploit tOSU's defense. Never saw McCoy go downfield more than maybe 2 times? I don't know if this was a classic case of Greg Davis' famous prevent offense or if McCoy just wasn't able to pull the trigger on the downfield throws like he was intended.

McCoy seemed comfortable at the outset of the game but less so as the pressure built. In the first half he looked like he was having fun, but once the game hit the second half he pulled a :mack:. That's as much Greg Davis' responsibility as it is McCoy's. Greg Davis had a running game that was working behind a terrific O-line and with all the talent in the receiving corps you would have though McCoy would have been able to pull it off.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a QB controversy in Austin.

47straight
9/10/2006, 09:13 AM
I didn't get to see the game - did Snead see any time?

Skysooner
9/10/2006, 09:17 AM
If he was on the field, he didn't throw or run per the Box Score. I watched most of the game, but there were a couple of series I missed.

JohnnyMack
9/10/2006, 09:17 AM
I didn't get to see the game - did Snead see any time?

None.

birddog
9/10/2006, 09:18 AM
no. all mccoy.

47straight
9/10/2006, 09:34 AM
None.

Well, I'm completely shocked. Glad I didn't have money on it.

Soonerwolf
9/10/2006, 11:30 AM
Actually, we recruited two great quarterbacks.. Brantley (who we got right out from under Urban Meyers' nose at Florida) and Chiles. (who in all likelihood will be turned into a flanker/rb/wr).

It's called competition. And at big dog programs like Texas (and yes, OU), you want athletes who aren't shy about competition.

Even though we had Vince, we recruited, but lost out on "The Idoit" and Ryan Perilliar... the two "best" recruits that Mack did not get. Thank God.

Now that the "Idiot" is gone - I believe the situation at OU will look more attractive for Brantley - thanks for getting Florida out of the recruiting picture for Brantley and here's to Brantley wearing Crimson & Cream in next year's RRS.

:texan: Hook 'em

daddywarbucks
9/10/2006, 04:10 PM
What do you recon McCoy looks/feels like today? He took some BRUTAL hits last night..one thing to pay the price for a W, something else to pay the price and have your arse handed to you on the way out the door..

Desert Sapper
9/10/2006, 07:15 PM
How about, sexat has its best corner on the sideline? Does that not factor into the "great D" in Austin?

Apparently it did. Smith was exploiting the hell out of that secondary.

Taking away points scored by Ginn and Smith is stupid.

I didn't. I just said that they scored 21 points in the first quarter on NIU through the air and almost nothing afterward. I was discounting the outlier. Apparently that wasn't even close to being right.

Comparing NIU's offense to tOSU's Defense to Texas' Offense vs. UNT is almost the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I wasn't. I said that NIU had 343 total yards on the buckeye D. That's a fact. NIU sucks.

tOSU will defeat your beloved horns this weekend sapper, get over it, its done, draw the chalk outline.

My beloved whorns? Hardly. I hate the cow-worshippers. If you think I like them, you obviously haven't read very many of my posts. Apparently your reading comprehension can again be called into question, because I even stated specifically I'm willing to bet that Tejas, much as I hate them, has a much better D than NIU. Objectively, I see the whorns beating tosu with defense and a home crowd. How is that even close to liking them? I wanted them to win so we would get to play against #1 in the Cotton Bowl. That would give us a big boost toward Glendale. You were right about tosu, I was wrong. They replaced 9 D starters better and faster than anybody I've ever seen. They aren't overrated at all. Smith looked great. saxet could do nothing. Now that saxet has a loss, we won't get to take out the #1 team in the country. Not a big deal, but it would have made RRS sweeter.

Readyfor8
9/10/2006, 09:00 PM
Apparently it did. Smith was exploiting the hell out of that secondary.

All of the secondary stunk but brown missing was a big part of that.

I didn't. I just said that they scored 21 points in the first quarter on NIU through the air and almost nothing afterward. I was discounting the outlier. Apparently that wasn't even close to being right.

Nope nothing you said was right.

I wasn't. I said that NIU had 343 total yards on the buckeye D. That's a fact. NIU sucks.

sexat score less on that same D than NIU did. Does that mean NIU is better? By your logic I guess it does, and I won't argue in sexat's favor. However it is still retarded to compare one teams performance on one Saturday to what might happen on a different Saturday vs. a Different team. Don't believe me? Ask sexat fans about UNT vs. today.

My beloved whorns? Hardly. I hate the cow-worshippers. If you think I like them, you obviously haven't read very many of my posts. Apparently your reading comprehension can again be called into question, because I even stated specifically I'm willing to bet that Tejas, much as I hate them, has a much better D than NIU. Objectively, I see the whorns beating tosu with defense and a home crowd. How is that even close to liking them? I wanted them to win so we would get to play against #1 in the Cotton Bowl. That would give us a big boost toward Glendale. You were right about tosu, I was wrong. They replaced 9 D starters better and faster than anybody I've ever seen. They aren't overrated at all. Smith looked great. saxet could do nothing. Now that saxet has a loss, we won't get to take out the #1 team in the country. Not a big deal, but it would have made RRS sweeter.

Anyone who wants to see sexat win for any reason is more of a whorn than I am. So that means I can call you a whorn lover because you love them more than me.

So shut it whorn lover.

Desert Sapper
9/11/2006, 10:07 AM
sexat score less on that same D than NIU did. Does that mean NIU is better? By your logic I guess it does, and I won't argue in sexat's favor. However it is still retarded to compare one teams performance on one Saturday to what might happen on a different Saturday vs. a Different team. Don't believe me? Ask sexat fans about UNT vs. today.

If you can't talk about a team's performance from week to week than you can't talk about a team at all. tosu solidified their D (or they were preparing for the whorns before their NIU game, which is more likely).

Anyone who wants to see sexat win for any reason is more of a whorn than I am. So that means I can call you a whorn lover because you love them more than me.

So you define yourself more by your hatred for the whorns than your love for the Sooners? Got it. You're a tool.

So shut it whorn lover.

If you equate whorns with Sooners than you have a bigger problem than I realized before. If you can't see how beneficial it would be to beat the #1 team in the country vice the #8 team, then you haven't been watching college football for very long. Besides, not wanting to see that same level of despair on the whorn side of the Cotton bowl October 7 seems silly to me. Why would I want tosu to have the satisfaction that my Sooners should have. We can still see the dumbfounded whorns looking on like 'what just happened?' in the cotton bowl, but it won't be AS sweet. And it won't instantly vault us past anybody that's soldified in the top 5. I really don't want to see a reverse of 2004, with us on the outside watching Auburn and suc play for the title. If you do, see the last response. Tool.