PDA

View Full Version : New job opportunity

Sooner in Tampa
9/8/2006, 05:43 AM
So the "supervisor" calls me the other day and asks me if I am insterested in becoming a "real developer" working with Visual Basic/.Net...I told him that I can't really answer that since I am not real familiar with either one.

It is considered a promotion, with more cash, and I was told not to worry I am scheduled for my first class the end of this month. They have said that they will pay for the training and put me on a track to get most the classes done prior to the first of the year.

The reason I bring this up is...

Is anybody familiar with writing programs/developing in this environment ? and is it a good choice?

The coin would be nice, but not if I can't stand the job.

(Just for reference, I am pretty much a content manager for seven classified networks right now. This would entail TONS of code)

BoogercountySooner
9/8/2006, 05:46 AM
Can you still surf the Net alot? Key Question.

Sooner in Tampa
9/8/2006, 05:50 AM
Can you still surf the Net alot? Key Question.:confused: Not sure...but you are right, that is a key consideration.

It is also important that I keep my 0600-1400 schedule.

Norm In Norman
9/8/2006, 07:44 AM
I wish I had pushed to learn .Net languages when I had the chance. It's really popular. Instead, I decided to maintain my programs in VB6 instead of rewriting them in C# (which is VB's bigger and better brother). Now not a lot of people use VB6 any more. Maybe php will be my savior.

By the way, VB and .Net aren't necessarialy seperate entities. There is VB.Net, C# and many others and all are used within the .Net framework. VB6 and below has nothing to do with .net though.

So what I'm saying is you should do it. Just don't let them talk you into learning Java.

Sooner in Tampa
9/8/2006, 07:56 AM
I wish I had pushed to learn .Net languages when I had the chance. It's really popular. Instead, I decided to maintain my programs in VB6 instead of rewriting them in C# (which is VB's bigger and better brother). Now not a lot of people use VB6 any more. Maybe php will be my savior.

By the way, VB and .Net aren't necessarialy seperate entities. There is VB.Net, C# and many others and all are used within the .Net framework. VB6 and below has nothing to do with .net though.

So what I'm saying is you should do it. Just don't let them talk you into learning Java.Java is the debil as far as I am concerned. It really shouldn't be a problem. Most of the work we are going to be doing is going to be with Sharepoint Portals.

sooner n houston
9/8/2006, 08:08 AM
Stay the hell out of IT! It sucks ***!!! :(

Every 5-10 years you have to completly re-invent your self, learn a whole new skill set.

You are the first one to be let go when economic times get tight. Doesn't take many of those high paid IT types to make a real dent in payroll when you lay them off, and those projects can wait till next year.

No job is being shipped over seas faster than IT jobs. You know those programmers over in India will do the same work you do for $2 an hour! Ship it out!!!:mad:

Stay the hell out of IT!

Norm In Norman
9/8/2006, 08:12 AM
Damn.

And jkm is Mr. .Net. He's your man to ask about .Net.

Sooner in Tampa
9/8/2006, 08:13 AM
Stay the hell out of IT! It sucks ***!!! :(

Every 5-10 years you have to completly re-invent your self, learn a whole new skill set.

You are the first one to be let go when economic times get tight. Doesn't take many of those high paid IT types to make a real dent in payroll when you lay them off, and those projects can wait till next year.

No job is being shipped over seas faster than IT jobs. You know those programmers over in India will do the same work you do for $2 an hour! Ship it out!!!:mad:

Stay the hell out of IT!Well, I do have an in. We are building these programs on classified networks...joe indian from Bangledesh cannot do this.

sooner_born_1960
9/8/2006, 08:19 AM
Do it. You'll be glad you did. There will be plenty of jobs for qualified developers with experience in the more popular development environments. If you get a chance, add Oracle development/dba to your skill set.

Vaevictis
9/8/2006, 03:59 PM
As far as I can tell, .NET is really just a cross-language development library. So basically, Visual Basic.NET would be writing Visual Basic using the .NET library.

Usually (if not always), your compile will target the CLR engine.

I've done some C++.NET stuff in the past (integrating VB ActiveX controls, no less), and there's almost no functional difference between writing C++ and C++.NET code as far as I can tell. I mean, you've got to learn how the .NET library works and all, but you have to do that with any library you're going to use.

If you don't mind writing in the Visual Basic language, then you won't mind VB.NET. :)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/8/2006, 04:18 PM
Java is the debil as far as I am concerned. It really shouldn't be a problem. Most of the work we are going to be doing is going to be with Sharepoint Portals.

omg i feel sorry for you. sharepoint is beyond evil. and norm, vb and C# are interchangeable in .net 2.0.

Petro-Sooner
9/8/2006, 04:23 PM
I took a fortran class once. :texan:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/8/2006, 04:24 PM
it really depends on what you want to do for your career. the hierarchy for developer salaries is normally enterprise application (siebel, sap, etc.) >> language developer > norm

as a contacter, you can normally get the following bill rates

SAP -> $140/hr
siebel -> $105/hr
peoplesoft -> $95/hr
java -> $80/hr
C# (at microsoft) -> $95/hr
C# elsewhere -> $75/hr
VB -> $65/hr

TMcGee86
9/8/2006, 04:33 PM
I took a c++ class in college.

I can sum up my expertise in two words...

Infinite. Loop.

good times...

mdklatt
9/8/2006, 04:44 PM
Is anybody familiar with writing programs/developing in this environment ? and is it a good choice?

I don't know much about .NET, but I'd even choose Fortran over VB. Fortran 77.

Vaevictis
9/8/2006, 04:59 PM
I don't know much about .NET, but I'd even choose Fortran over VB. Fortran 77.

Hey man, it's an option. They still use Fortran extensively for number crunching.

GrapevineSooner
9/8/2006, 05:03 PM
My brotherdownunda has offers to do contract work for $800 a day.

Australian, of course.