PDA

View Full Version : selfishness may have been holding Longhorns back in years past.

sooner n houston
9/7/2006, 05:57 PM
From DMN article! :eek: :D

Sweed and Pittman should know. Last season, they helped reveal some of the selfishness that may have been holding the Longhorns back in years past.

Pittman talked about how unapproachable star receivers Roy Williams, B.J. Johnson and Sloan Thomas were when he and Sweed arrived at Texas and redshirted in 2003. Williams was a big reason Sweed picked Texas. He worshipped Williams. Sweed wears No. 4 because of him.

But Williams, Johnson and Thomas did very little to help along the team's young receivers. Instead, they mostly cracked jokes about younger players when they dropped a pass and then barricaded themselves in a clique that wasn't open to anyone else.

Said coach Mack Brown of the team's chemistry: "We thought we were doing everything in our power to win a football game, and somewhere it got off track and got to be about stars."

If anyone needed extra counseling and support from upperclassmen, it was Sweed and Pittman. Sweed had great physical tools, including long-legged speed at 6-5 and 219 pounds, but he was clueless about playing receiver. He played tight end at Brenham in a wing-T offense.

"I didn't know what a corner route was," Sweed said. "As a tight end in high school, I would just run until I got open."

During his redshirt year, Pittman had a medical condition called Bell's palsy, a form of temporary facial paralysis.

Williams, Johnson and Thomas made fun of him. It affected his confidence. It wasn't until Young approached Sweed and Pittman before last season that they took off as players.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/090706dnspoutsfront.7551356c.html

sooner969
9/7/2006, 07:40 PM
What the hell are these hs coaches teaching players??? He didn't know what a corner route was???

start8
9/7/2006, 07:46 PM
Thank God they cleared that matter up for us! I thought the thing holding them back was the anal rapings Stoops and boys laid on them, but this whole time it was a lack of 'man love' from TFRW. If only they had figured that out sooner....retardation!

Big Red Ron
9/7/2006, 08:06 PM
Yer bells are palsed.

mdklatt
9/7/2006, 08:23 PM
Pretty soon they'll start lifting weights and we'll all be ****ed.

Ash
9/7/2006, 08:51 PM
From DMN article! :eek: :D

Sweed and Pittman should know. Last season, they helped reveal some of the selfishness that may have been holding the Longhorns back in years past.

Pittman talked about how unapproachable star receivers Roy Williams, B.J. Johnson and Sloan Thomas were when he and Sweed arrived at Texas and redshirted in 2003. Williams was a big reason Sweed picked Texas. He worshipped Williams. Sweed wears No. 4 because of him.

But Williams, Johnson and Thomas did very little to help along the team's young receivers. Instead, they mostly cracked jokes about younger players when they dropped a pass and never shared their "spleef" or offered up a pipe after practice.

Said coach Mack Brown of the team's chemistry: "We thought we were doing everything in our power to win a football game, and somewhere it got off track and got to be about stars. No matter how much clapping on the sidelines I did, nothing seemed to work."

If anyone needed extra counseling and support from upperclassmen, it was Sweed and Pittman. Sweed had great physical tools, including long-legged speed at 6-5 and 219 pounds, but he was clueless about who to approach for "kind bud," how to roll a tight "blunt," or even where to get more "slugs" for the his "nine."

"I didn't know what 'early pearl' meant," Sweed said. "I mean, in high school, we just called it 'hippy lettuce'."

During his redshirt year, the young players had a hard time knowing thier limits, often collapsing into giggle fits and ho-ho splurges.

Williams, Johnson and Thomas made fun of them. It affected their confidence. It wasn't until Young approached Sweed and Pittman before last season that they really could get their "ganj on."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/090706dnspoutsfront.7551356c.html

fixed, :texan:- style

sooner94
9/8/2006, 12:12 AM
During his redshirt year, Pittman had a medical condition called Bell's palsy, a form of temporary facial paralysis.

Williams, Johnson and Thomas made fun of him.

It's pretty sad that those idiots would do that, teammates or not. Wow.

Gotta love Fake Roy Williams.

Desert Sapper
9/8/2006, 02:40 AM
TFRW had all the talent in the world and all the work ethic of Marcus Dupree. I don't like the whorns, but I'm glad that their current stars aren't complete tools like their predecessors. It's not as fun to hate your rival when there are legitimate reasons to do so.

Ash
9/8/2006, 07:01 AM
What the hell are these hs coaches teaching players??? He didn't know what a corner route was???

That is kind of a shocking statement, especially for such a highly recruited WR.

I couldn't help but laugh when I read this part:

"As a tight end in high school, I would just run until I got open."

It reminded me of Forrest Gump at Bama...

"Run, Limas, run!"

Scott D
9/8/2006, 09:18 AM
That is kind of a shocking statement, especially for such a highly recruited WR.

I couldn't help but laugh when I read this part:

It reminded me of Forrest Gump at Bama...

"Run, Limas, run!"

Well to be fair, most teams in high school don't structure plays for the TE, he's either blocking or running downfield. And with Sweed's size it makes perfect sense that his routes were basically sprints downfield for jump balls.

Scott D
9/8/2006, 09:20 AM
Oh and Williams so far in his pro career has been pretty much the same. And the people here eat it up.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/8/2006, 09:30 AM
Thank God they cleared that matter up for us! I thought the thing holding them back was the anal rapings Stoops and boys laid on them, but this whole time it was a lack of 'man love' from TFRW. If only they had figured that out sooner....retardation!Harhar!

OUmillenium
9/8/2006, 09:32 AM
Thank God they cleared that matter up for us! I thought the thing holding them back was the anal rapings Stoops and boys laid on them, but this whole time it was a lack of 'man love' from TFRW. If only they had figured that out sooner....retardation!

PRICELESS! Thanks for posting!

:texan: sucks BGDD

sooner969
9/8/2006, 11:16 AM
You know, during Mack's interview last night I realized what a patronizing little **** of a man he is and as he gets older it's only getting worse. No wonder they have no idea what teamwork is.

Ash
9/8/2006, 11:53 AM
Well to be fair, most teams in high school don't structure plays for the TE, he's either blocking or running downfield. And with Sweed's size it makes perfect sense that his routes were basically sprints downfield for jump balls.

Sure, but the corner is basic, something everyone should have encountered by this time.

Ash
9/8/2006, 12:29 PM
That article has got me thinking, though, about the learning curve involved with new recruits, irrespective of their ranking by the scouts or what you hear about them.

Some guys are going to need learn things that are considered basic or common on this level. Some guys need more direction than others - whether from coaches or upper classmen. Some guys catch on quickly, while others might need some to time to get acclimated.

I know I'm not saying anything new or profound, but I think sometimes the average fan forgets (or is unaware) of these things and just looks at the number of stars next to a recruits name or hears something about him and expects immediate results.

I sure have been guilty of this sometimes.

daddywarbucks
9/8/2006, 12:33 PM
selfishness may have been holding Longhorns back in years past..........and a set of testicles

Scott D
9/8/2006, 12:57 PM
Sure, but the corner is basic, something everyone should have encountered by this time.

well once again that goes back into whether or not fundamentals are being taught at previous levels. I'd almost wager that Sweed went to a school that featured their running game, and the passing game was just to take pressure off of the run. In which case a talented tall receiver would have one route to memorize, the fly route.

if he'd been more of an outside receiver then I agree he should have been able to execute a corner route with no problem at all.

Blue
9/8/2006, 11:15 PM
You know, during Mack's interview last night I realized what a patronizing little **** of a man he is and as he gets older it's only getting worse. No wonder they have no idea what teamwork is.

I find it hard to dislike Mack. He seems like a stand up guy to me.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2006, 11:20 PM

I think what he might have been saying was that he didn't really know how to run it correctly. I'm sure he knew the basic concept.

Then again, maybe not.

That's actually a decent article, and I don't have any trouble believing that the Roy Williams recruiting class was a bunch of pricks.

I also don't have any trouble believing that the guys they have there now are hard workers. If there's an area where Texas really surpassed OU in the last year it was in the hard work area-and Coach Stoops will tell you the same thing.

Ash
9/8/2006, 11:56 PM
You might be right.

And it was a decent article, and got me thinking about some things (see my last post before this one).

And, man you guys sure know how to ruin the fun of making fun of Hook 'em

By the way, I have no problem with the message of the article, and making fun a guy for a medical condition is all I need to know about TFRW and crew. And as I think others have pointed out, that same attitude has led to mediocrity in the NFL as well.

1991SOONER
9/9/2006, 11:04 AM
I thought it was Mack Brown that was holding the bonghorns back?

I heard he quit coaching and thats when they started winning:D