PDA

View Full Version : Possible NCAA violation at Texas?

Mac94
9/7/2006, 09:00 AM
In the wake of the Brown and Gatewood mess, Jeff Ward on 590AM KLBJ was interviewing one of the kids lawyers. After talking about the case and his love for the University the issue of the fee came up. The fee that this guy (out of San Antonio) and former State Rep Terry Keel are charging the kids in this case is .... $1.

Anyone think that this is the standard fee for the average Joe Blow off the street on a DUI charge? If this is accurate, as asked on 1300AM this morning, why wouldn't this be preferential treatment for a student athlete and an NCAA violation?

RedstickSooner
9/7/2006, 09:17 AM
Seems like a good question. Any rules geeks want to step in, let us know the answer?

cwood60
9/7/2006, 09:17 AM
As long as he paid with his own "$1" then it's probably not a problem.

1stTimeCaller
9/7/2006, 09:19 AM

Not exactly how it works but I doubt anything will come from this.

XingTheRubicon
9/7/2006, 09:25 AM
Have you seen him? He's overcharging.

fwsooner22
9/7/2006, 09:26 AM
Don't know..........but if you ever get a chance to listen to Jeff Ward.....he is REALLY good.....not a sports show although they talk sports sometimes.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/7/2006, 09:28 AM
Don't think we could get 'em with that.

Don't attorneys work pro bono on occasion to get their name out? Or pro dollar-o, whatever that'd be?

FaninAma
9/7/2006, 09:31 AM

That's not how it works. Supposedly, the NCAA standard is that any special deal offered to athletes also has to be available to other students and the public at large. I doubt if this guy charges other students or clients $1.

Maybe he operates on a volume discount since so many of the horn players stay in trouble with the law....and that's just the ones we hear about. There's probably no telling how many we don't hear about.

toast
9/7/2006, 09:34 AM
heck, the judges fees are just free tickets to the ballgames... $1 for the attorneys is probably appropriate.

RedstickSooner
9/7/2006, 09:51 AM
Also, for pro bono work, isn't that work usually farmed out through the public defender's office, or somethin'?

I mean, yeah, sometimes high profile cases (particularly involving the death penalty) get lawyers who pursue the case because they want to work on it, but pursuing the case because it involves Longhorn players sure sounds like it'd be a violation, and an unfair benefit.

Sonner magic923
9/7/2006, 09:54 AM
oh ya and it was his gun Brown was just holding on to it for him.

BIG_IKE
9/7/2006, 10:05 AM
According to the NCAA...

It would be a violation if the school paid for it, or if it was anything student based and the athletes got preferrential treatment.

As far as the attorney is concerned, he can charge whatever he wants. He is making a name for himself actually, so what he is getting is worth more than money. He is getting his name in every newspaper in America. I have not seen a statement from the two idiots, just him. He is just gaining exposure, and without question he is a horn fan. An Aggie lawyer would fry him...but A&M doesn't have a law school soooo...:pop:

BoonesFarmSooner
9/7/2006, 10:09 AM
Said attorney probably gets free tickets from the athletics department, just like all the judges in Austin...

It's an innovative way to keep your program clean! Guess they will have to start passing out ducats to all the cops in Austin also...

Sooners78
9/7/2006, 10:15 AM
As far as the attorney is concerned, he can charge whatever he wants. He is making a name for himself actually, so what he is getting is worth more than money.

But couldn't you apply that same rule to Big Red? Couldn't they argue that they were just using the name recognition of Bomar to bring in more customers? I'm not defending Big Red, but I don't see much difference in these two incidents if other students aren't getting the same benefits as Brown.

1stTimeCaller
9/7/2006, 10:18 AM
But couldn't you apply that same rule to Big Red? Couldn't they argue that they were just using the name recognition of Bomar to bring in more customers? I'm not defending Big Red, but I don't see much difference in these two incidents if other students aren't getting the same benefits as Brown.

there is no difference. It's against the rules. There is also no difference between those issues and the Jarrett kid at USC getting a discounted rate on the rent he paid to Leinart's dad.

Nothing will come of this.

BIG_IKE
9/7/2006, 10:25 AM
I see your point, but one situation involves PAYING athletes and the other is providing services to athletes. People defend people in court for free all the time. I think that would complicate saying it is illegal. I think if Big Red was allowed to do that to promote their product, then Nike, Reebok and Adidas would have some major beef with the NCAA rules regarding endorsement deals.

BIG_IKE
9/7/2006, 10:28 AM
You know what would be messed up??

If the NCAA did not have a problem with Big Red, and OU simply tried to do the right thing in advance. I mean technically....you could say Big Red can choose to pay him whatever salary they want. There is no rules that say athletes must make minimum wage is there? I dont think so...

I think if Bomar would have actually worked a little, the NCAA would have a really hard time disputing the money he earned..ESPECIALLY at a car dealership.

FaninAma
9/7/2006, 10:39 AM
It's very true that everything in Texas is bigger....including their glass houses.

SoonerMooner
9/7/2006, 10:54 AM
I think it make us look like a bunch of damn crybabies to point out nit picking crap like this. Who gives a damn? Let's be straight up. We need to beat them on the field. Everything else that we could do or point out to undermine their program smacks of sour grapes. Enough already. After the Bomar thing, we should be the last people to talk about glass houses.

BIG_IKE
9/7/2006, 10:57 AM
I think it make us look like a bunch of damn crybabies to point out nit picking crap like this. Who gives a damn? Let's be straight up. We need to beat them on the field. Everything else that we could do or point out to undermine their program smacks of sour grapes. Enough already. After the Bomar thing, we should be the last people to talk about glass houses.

You Sir, are NOT a Sooner fan. Nor did you read this thread in it's entirety.

SoonerMooner
9/7/2006, 10:59 AM

I got your "sooner fan" hangin', bud.

soonersam
9/7/2006, 11:13 AM
Is there a Burnt Orange Sports and Imports involved?

BIG_IKE
9/7/2006, 11:29 AM
I got your "sooner fan" hangin', bud.

WOW...I get negged on a Sooner Board by a gay *** whorn.

I think I'll watch Mack Browns Wedding again...and LAFF OUT LOWD!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEmOliM5OAY&mode=related&search=

OUGreg723
9/7/2006, 11:33 AM
My Uncle was talking about this yesterday. When we heard the news he said that there was nothing wrong with it. He does things like this on occasion, being a lawyer. Texas will be just fine..

Paperclip
9/7/2006, 11:37 AM

I guess I'm not one either, because I agree with mooner.

1stTimeCaller
9/7/2006, 11:38 AM
you guys will need to check with Scooter on whether you are or are not a Sooner.

;)

Blue
9/7/2006, 11:41 AM

Yup. It's weak.

Paperclip
9/7/2006, 11:42 AM
So, is this the former 'horn kicker Jeff Ward?

soonerlaw
9/7/2006, 11:45 AM
It could be pro bono, but those cases are usually reserved for little old ladies and people who are getting hosed but can't afford to pay. Although I did handle something similar for the daughter of one of the partner's friends pro bono. Then again, he could be doing it on a contingency fee, as in if he makes it to the NFL, the lawyer gets 50% of his rookie contract... kind of like the deal SloMo made with that drug dealer. :D

Mac94
9/7/2006, 11:49 AM
So, is this the former 'horn kicker Jeff Ward?

Yup

Paperclip
9/7/2006, 11:54 AM
Yup

As in 1984 game-tying field goal after we got robbed of an interception Jeff Ward? I hate that guy.

batonrougesooner
9/7/2006, 11:55 AM
I honestly don't see how this couldn't be an NCAA violation.

He is getting a benefit/service at a discounted rate not available to the general public because he is a Texas football player. I would think the same if it was an OU football player.

crawfish
9/7/2006, 11:57 AM
The lesson here is: if you gotta cheat, it's better to be a lawyer. :)

SoonerMooner
9/7/2006, 12:28 PM
WOW...I get negged on a Sooner Board by a gay *** whorn.

I think I'll watch Mack Browns Wedding again...and LAFF OUT LOWD!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEmOliM5OAY&mode=related&search=

BTW, I am a Sooner fan, but I hadn't seen that before. That was funny as hell. "The Homo Rainbow" - BWAHAHAHA.:D

Luthor
9/7/2006, 12:30 PM
That's not how it works. Supposedly, the NCAA standard is that any special deal offered to athletes also has to be available to other students and the public at large. I doubt if this guy charges other students or clients $1.

Maybe he operates on a volume discount since so many of the horn players stay in trouble with the law....and that's just the ones we hear about. There's probably no telling how many we don't hear about.

All he has to do is go down to the drunk tank on Saturday night and pick out a looser to charge $1 for a court appearance. Try again Mr Conspiracy Theorist.

Mac94
9/7/2006, 12:49 PM
As in 1984 game-tying field goal after we got robbed of an interception Jeff Ward? I hate that guy.

The one and the same.

He now hosts this radion show on KLBJ 590AM and also teaches a class or two at Texas. He is kinda funny to listen to although his show is more on local issues, cultural stuff, news and politics, etc. He is an avid libertarian and very cynical. And, he also co-hosts a post game sports show with Ed Clements and he will bash U.T. pretty open. He doesn't hold anything back in blasting Texas.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
9/7/2006, 12:52 PM
All he has to do is go down to the drunk tank on Saturday night and pick out a looser to charge $1 for a court appearance. Try again Mr Conspiracy Theorist.

Then couldn't BRSI have gone down and hired some hobo for 6 grand an hour for a couple of hours to fix the Bomar thing? Granted I know there is a difference in 1$ and $18,000, or whatever the number was. But it seems like if the requirement is it be avalible to the public then there are waaaay to many ways around it.

OklahomaRed
9/7/2006, 12:53 PM

Why wouldn't it be a conspiracy? Is he offering this same fee to other T.U. students? Why is this any different than Rhett showing up at the car dealership, clocking in and then leaving? If Rhett hung out 10 minutes and they paid him $1,000 for that 10 minutes worked, who is to say that is not a fair market price for someone to make? What would be forced back to the college would be the very same question, "Well, does the car dealership pay everyone a $1,000 per hour or just certain football players?"

Same deal. Help me here. I'm struggling to see who and when considerations are placed on what is fair and equitable, and what is viewed as a fringe benefit for being on the football team?

:confused:

FaninAma
9/7/2006, 01:08 PM

So you're saying that all Big Red Sports and Imports has to do is pick a couple of non-athlete students at random and pay them like they were paying Bomar and Quinn and everything will be all hunky-dory with the NCAA? BoomerSoonerTS and OR are correct. That little ploy would not wash with the NCAA.

Who but a whorn coulda thunk it was so simple. Stoops didn't need to kick Bomar off the team after all. He just needed to play by the Longhorn's interpretations of the NCAA rule book.

Tha question is how long has this little cozy arrangement gone on and how many players have been beneficiaries?

imasoonergirl
9/7/2006, 01:25 PM
Some say let it alone about Texas and possible sanctions because of what Bomar did here. But if you recall Bomar didn't have a gun. In my mind that is a little bit different then the Bomar thing.

Kingwoodboomer
9/7/2006, 01:38 PM

Lawyers cheat...get outta town....

TexasLidig8r
9/7/2006, 02:07 PM

BASTADGE MUDBUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheatin' will still get you on the lower end of the disproportionate side of a community property split. :D

Vaevictis
9/7/2006, 02:12 PM
You know what would be messed up??

If the NCAA did not have a problem with Big Red, and OU simply tried to do the right thing in advance.

IMHO, this was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Even if the NCAA eventually didn't have a problem with it, the fact that Bomar -- yet again -- had put the team in a bad spot by being a dumbass off the field probably would have warranted a severe response in Stoops' no-nonsense philosophy.

Paperclip
9/7/2006, 02:25 PM
BASTADGE MUDBUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheatin' will still get you on the lower end of the disproportionate side of a community property split. :D

Oklahoma isn't a community property state. :)

soonerreign
9/7/2006, 02:54 PM
I'm not a divorce lawyer, but I don't think there is that much of a difference between a community property state and a non-community property state once everything is said and done. In the end, everybody loses.

CrimsonChampion
9/7/2006, 04:40 PM
BOOK 'EM

47straight
9/7/2006, 07:19 PM

Lord help me, I got that joke.

jrsooner
9/7/2006, 07:36 PM
Is there a Burnt Orange Sports and Imports involved?The correct title of the shop would be "Red McCombs Sports and Imports". :)