PDA

View Full Version : That George Lucas Bastard

RacerX
9/7/2006, 06:41 AM
Sept 12 - So we can finally get the original theatrical versions, packaged with his newer "improved" versions.

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/11190000/11196466.jpg
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/11190000/11196468.jpg
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/11190000/11196470.jpg

Yeah, I'm going to buy them. BASTARD!

fadada1
9/7/2006, 07:23 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmm, 1983 carrie fisher. DE-LIC-IOUS!!!

now, not so much.

Okla-homey
9/7/2006, 08:18 AM
1983 Carrie Fisher:

Jabba's Space Ho

Tulsa_Fireman
9/7/2006, 08:31 AM
Why is there such a chub for the theatrical releases?

I mean, other than them putting that whiny guy in at the end of RotJ, I think the newer ones look great.

skycat
9/7/2006, 08:35 AM
The older versions will not have all of the negative clean-up that was done for the DVD release.

Boomerbrad
9/7/2006, 08:46 AM
From what I've read, the originals will also not be anamorphic widescreen, so it will look like poo on a Widecreen TV.

crawfish
9/7/2006, 08:57 AM

I mean, other than them putting that whiny guy in at the end of RotJ, I think the newer ones look great.

:les: HAN SHOT FIRST!!!

skycat
9/7/2006, 09:03 AM
Don't be shocked when the 6-disc (or maybe 7 with a bonus disc) Saga Edition DVD set comes out.

bri
9/7/2006, 09:07 AM
There's nothing that I can say about George Lucas that Other Me hasn't already said:

If I ever meet George Lucas I'm going to get him to autograph my fist, then I'll punch him in the face.

Once he's stunned, I'll pin him down and start pulling out his little beard, one hair at a time. Once that's done, I'll take out a bottle of rubbing alcohol and pour it all over his face, making sure to rub vigorously around the now-vacated beard area. I'll let him up at that point, 'cause he'll want to run around and scream like a little girl, and once he comes to a relative standstill, I'll punch him in the throat to shut him up. I can't stand that much wussy screaming. Naturally, this will make him crumple to the ground, clutching his windpipe and struggling for air. After a few stiff kicks to the ribs, I'll start to walk away, then stop after a few steps, turn back to him and say "Bet you wish you'd shot first, huh?" and then walk away laughing.

The end.

:D

JohnnyMack
9/7/2006, 09:10 AM

You're dead to me.

JohnnyMack
9/7/2006, 09:13 AM
I tried to watch Ep. 3 the other day and decided I would rather eat Quikcrete and wash it down with a cup of broken glass.

bri
9/7/2006, 09:18 AM
yeah, you really just need to chapter skip to the Obi-Wan/Vader fight. Oh, and the Mace Windu/Palpatine fight, too.

I have HAD it with these motherf*ckin' Sith Lords on this motherf*ckin' plane!!!! :mad:

JohnnyMack
9/7/2006, 09:21 AM
yeah, you really just need to chapter skip to the credits.

Yep.

yermom
9/7/2006, 09:23 AM
yeah, there is something wrong about being happy and mad at the same time

i'll be buying this for the 3rd time on DVD...

Pricetag
9/7/2006, 09:27 AM
I hate the duels post Phantom Menace. The motions look neat and all, but I find myself wondering why someone actually trying to injure/kill the other person would attack using those swooping figure eight motions.

The duels in the originals weren't as elegantly choreographed, but dammit, they looked real.

JohnnyMack
9/7/2006, 09:35 AM
Star Wars ended the day the Phantom Menace was released IMHO. From 1977 up to 1999 we had a good run. Anything after that isn't Star Wars. It's pandering crap.

skycat
9/7/2006, 09:44 AM
Two things:

1. On the whole, the Special Editions are clearly better than the original theatrical releases. (Han did shoot first.)

2. Ep 1-3 have a bunch of faults, but are better films than they are given credit for.

The End.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/7/2006, 09:49 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmm, 1983 carrie fisher. DE-LIC-IOUS!!!

now, not so much.

That smoking has taken its toll...

JohnnyMack
9/7/2006, 09:54 AM
Two things:

1. On the whole, the Special Editions are clearly better than the original theatrical releases. (Han did shoot first.)

2. Ep 1-3 have a bunch of faults, but are better films than they are given credit for.

The End.

You don't get it. They're beautiful because of their faults. They're beautiful because they're the kind of pulpy Saturday afternoon romp they were intended to be. Not some polished up CG'd all to hell piece of slick marketing ****. But that's just my opinion.

bri
9/7/2006, 10:02 AM
That pie has taken its toll...

Fixed. :D

RacerX
9/7/2006, 11:36 AM
Two things:

The End.

Han doesn't shoot first in the re-release.

Lucas = Pompous ***

who still gets my money.

BASTARD!!!!!

Pricetag
9/7/2006, 11:42 AM

Lucas = Pompous ***

who still gets my money.

BASTARD!!!!!
I agree on all points.

Greedo didn't shoot at all in the original flicks--he didn't have to. Everything that Lucas has done with that scene since has cheapened the character of Han Solo and rendered any improvements made in the visuals moot.

The prequels were not all that they could have been because in the 20-plus years since the last movie had come out, Star Wars had become something bigger than Lucas had ever envisioned. He had some decent ideas, but some really bad ones as well. He needed to consult with others who knew and loved Star Wars to weed out the bad ones, but he didn't.

skycat
9/7/2006, 11:46 AM

Lucas = Pompous ***

who still gets my money.

BASTARD!!!!!

I know. What I was trying to get at was that Greedo shooting first was a clear blow to an otherwise well done revisit.

skycat
9/7/2006, 11:51 AM
You don't get it. They're beautiful because of their faults. They're beautiful because they're the kind of pulpy Saturday afternoon romp they were intended to be. Not some polished up CG'd all to hell piece of slick marketing ****. But that's just my opinion.

That's pretty clearly not the case. Lucas wanted the story of the pulpy Saturday serials with effects as realilistic as he could make them. There was nothing that looked anything like Star Wars when it came out. Compared to the romps you're talking about the '77 release was slick marketing ****.

PhilTLL
9/7/2006, 01:03 PM

You probably shouldn't have seen ESB in the first place, then. :)

PhilTLL
9/7/2006, 01:06 PM
I hate the duels post Phantom Menace. The motions look neat and all, but I find myself wondering why someone actually trying to injure/kill the other person would attack using those swooping figure eight motions.
The duels in the originals weren't as elegantly choreographed, but dammit, they looked real.

There seems to be a great deal of Geek Theory on the internets about this topic in particular. In some of the Expanded Universe the different forms of Force fighting are detailed, so there's a common frame of reference to match fancy-looking techniques against one another. The theoretical reason there aren't intricate duels in the original trilogy is simply that there was a lack of high Force training after the Jedi Purge - the duel in ANH is between an old man and a Sith who hasn't fought sabers in years, after all. The ESB duel is between the same Sith and a punk kid. When Jedi were abundant and practicing, they all had better saber technique. Or something.

crawfish
9/7/2006, 01:07 PM
I know. What I was trying to get at was that Greedo shooting first was a clear blow to an otherwise well done revisit.

I do agree here. The changes to make Mos Eisley & Cloud City look busier were very well done, and an improvement.

Those more overt changes - like Anakin in E6 and Greedo firing, even Jabba's unecessary appearance in E4 - sucked and ruined the whole process.

skycat
9/7/2006, 01:24 PM
I do agree here. The changes to make Mos Eisley & Cloud City look busier were very well done, and an improvement.

Those more overt changes - like Anakin in E6 and Greedo firing, even Jabba's unecessary appearance in E4 - sucked and ruined the whole process.

I'm agnostic about the Anakin thing. It's kind of weird, but I do understand trying to tie the whole thing together. The improved music over the Ewok dancing bit, and the celebrations on the other worlds makes the trade worthwhile for me.

On the whole, I dig having Jabba in E4. The Han stepping on the tail bit is pretty goofy though.

Pricetag
9/7/2006, 01:34 PM
There seems to be a great deal of Geek Theory on the internets about this topic in particular. In some of the Expanded Universe the different forms of Force fighting are detailed, so there's a common frame of reference to match fancy-looking techniques against one another. The theoretical reason there aren't intricate duels in the original trilogy is simply that there was a lack of high Force training after the Jedi Purge - the duel in ANH is between an old man and a Sith who hasn't fought sabers in years, after all. The ESB duel is between the same Sith and a punk kid. When Jedi were abundant and practicing, they all had better saber technique. Or something.
This is what I hate the most about the prequel trilogy--all the explanations that we as fans have been forced to try to come up with to explain its shortcomings.

Personally, I've quit trying to reconcile the prequels with the originals. I hate all the remakes coming out these days, but I actually want to see the prequels remade.

JohnnyMack
9/7/2006, 01:38 PM
That's pretty clearly not the case. Lucas wanted the story of the pulpy Saturday serials with effects as realilistic as he could make them. There was nothing that looked anything like Star Wars when it came out. Compared to the romps you're talking about the '77 release was slick marketing ****.

I guess from 'a certain point of view' you could look at it that way. I happen to think that argument that ANH wasn't the movie he hoped it would be is more monday morning quarterbacking by Lucas than truth.

Lucas' obsession with CG destroyed SW. He's said in interviews that he would have made the films entirely CG if he could have. Obviously in '76 that wasn't an option, so he made the movie as advanced as was possible at the time. It was my argument that what makes the OT so brilliant is its clunky nature. What makes the Prequels so bad is Lucas' use of CG. CG looks CG. Your mind knows when it's seeing something that isn't really there.

The other reason the prequels suck is that Lucas had painted himself into corner with his story. But that's a whole other thread.

Pricetag
9/7/2006, 01:43 PM
I'm agnostic about the Anakin thing. It's kind of weird, but I do understand trying to tie the whole thing together. The improved music over the Ewok dancing bit, and the celebrations on the other worlds makes the trade worthwhile for me.

On the whole, I dig having Jabba in E4. The Han stepping on the tail bit is pretty goofy though.
I hate the Anakin thing even worse than the Greedo thing. He had two chances (original, 1997 special edition) before to have come up with that idea, and he didn't until he had already started with the prequels. I hate, hate, hate each and every change Lucas made to try to retro fit the originals to the prequels. He should have respected them, instead, and written the prequels to conform to them.

I didn't have a problem with the Jabba scene because it was a scene that was originally shot for the film (just like the scene with Luke and Biggs after the briefing). The only reason it wasn't in was because he didn't have a suitable form for Jabba. It's the same as all the ship models and stuff, really. Most importantly, it didn't add anything that wasn't already in the story. We knew that Jabba was after Han in the original movie, we just didn't see him.

GottaHavePride
9/7/2006, 03:04 PM
The improved music over the Ewok dancing bit, and the celebrations on the other worlds makes the trade worthwhile for me.

Your definition of "improved" music does not match mine. I liked the original music. It was goofy, but it was exactly what you'd expect a bunch of Ewoks to come up with. Happy and simple. The updated music doesn't sound celebratory to me, it sounds like somthing that should have been titled "Elegy For Our Beloved Emperor, What Cruelly Bit The Big One At The Hands Of Those Rebel Bastards" - totally didn't fit the mood of the scene, in my opinion. I hated it.

Pricetag
9/7/2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah, the new music at the end definitely had a melancholy tone to it.

skycat
9/7/2006, 03:40 PM
Frankly, melancholy was what was called for.

The old music was horrible.

GottaHavePride
9/7/2006, 03:42 PM
Frankly, melancholy was what was called for.

The old music was horrible.

I just didn't get melancholy at all at the end of ROTJ. I mean, a tiny band of rebels manages to defy all odds and overthrow the Emperor? That calls for wild drunken party, not sadness.

skycat
9/7/2006, 03:45 PM
People are going to beat on me for this, because everybody hates the idea, but think in terms of the 6 movie arc. Then the title might be, "Elegy for the redeemed Anakin Skywalker, and that Ewok thet never got up and made 9 year old skycat sad."

GottaHavePride
9/7/2006, 03:57 PM
People are going to beat on me for this, because everybody hates the idea, but think in terms of the 6 movie arc. Then the title might be, "Elegy for the redeemed Anakin Skywalker, and that Ewok thet never got up and made 9 year old skycat sad."
I can sort of see your point in that way. Still, if he was going for the redemption theme I'd expect two things: Lucas to have played up Darth Vader's betrayal of the emperor (and Anakin's ghost's appearance) even more than he did, AND music more suited to that theme - along the lines of the finale of Mahler's "Resurrection" symphony, which is more to the "awe-inspiring and triumphant" than "melancholy".

I think it's a case that by the time he got to that point, Lucas wasn't even sure what aspect of the story he was trying to run with at the end. He needed to go full out for either the "hooray! they won!" vibe or for the "holy crap! The whole story was about VADER, not Luke!" twist and kind of missed the boat on both.

[/geek]

colleyvillesooner
9/7/2006, 04:00 PM
I had to go look up Elegy.

Octavian
9/7/2006, 04:02 PM
I'm both excited and scared about the upcoming Star Wars tv series...

Hope its good.

skycat
9/7/2006, 04:05 PM
I'm both excited and scared about the upcoming Star Wars tv series...

Hope its good.

If it's as good as the Clone Wars animated series or the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, it'll be worth watching.

skycat
9/7/2006, 04:07 PM
I can sort of see your point in that way. Still, if he was going for the redemption theme I'd expect two things: Lucas to have played up Darth Vader's betrayal of the emperor (and Anakin's ghost's appearance) even more than he did, AND music more suited to that theme - along the lines of the finale of Mahler's "Resurrection" symphony, which is more to the "awe-inspiring and triumphant" than "melancholy".

There was nothing awe-inspiring about the groan that the poor Ewok made when his friend got splattered.:(

;)

Octavian
9/7/2006, 04:09 PM
If it's as good as the Clone Wars animated series or the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, it'll be worth watching.

the animated series was better than the movies....rumors are the tv series is going to be some kind of bounty hunter theme.

I'm afraid it's just gonna be a great way for GL to sell more Bobba Fett toys

JohnnyMack
9/7/2006, 04:12 PM
It needs to be more OT and Firefly and less PT and Clone Wars overhyped mass-marketed bull****.

However I think we'll get the latter.

GottaHavePride
9/7/2006, 04:33 PM
I just challenged PG to use her writing skills to re-write the entire Star Wars story arc the way it should have been written. She said she'll get back to us in ten years. ;)

proud gonzo
9/7/2006, 05:01 PM
I just challenged PG to use her writing skills to re-write the entire Star Wars story arc the way it should have been written. She said she'll get back to us in ten years. ;)
Hey, Lucas took 30

I accept the challenge and make it my longterm project....

JohnnyMack
9/7/2006, 05:02 PM
Hey, Lucas took 30

Yeah, but he didn't come close to getting it right.

proud gonzo
9/7/2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah, but he didn't come close to getting it right.
why do you think i'm going to rewrite it? ;)

Pricetag
9/7/2006, 05:12 PM
I'd have been with you had Lucas not chickened out and gone through with his original plan to have the Millennium Falcon, as well as Lando and his crew, lost in the destruction of the Death Star. That would have conveyed a true loss for the Rebel Alliance. The Ewok just didn't do it. We saw tons of foot soldiers and pilots killed over the course of the trilogy. It would have taken a main character to really move us.

As far as the redemption of Anakin Skywalker theme goes, I thought they did a good job with Luke solemnly burning the Vader armor as the party goes on in the background and Obi Wan's theme plays.

skycat
9/7/2006, 05:53 PM
I'd have been with you had Lucas not chickened out and gone through with his original plan to have the Millennium Falcon, as well as Lando and his crew, lost in the destruction of the Death Star. That would have conveyed a true loss for the Rebel Alliance. The Ewok just didn't do it. We saw tons of foot soldiers and pilots killed over the course of the trilogy. It would have taken a main character to really move us.

As far as the redemption of Anakin Skywalker theme goes, I thought they did a good job with Luke solemnly burning the Vader armor as the party goes on in the background and Obi Wan's theme plays.

That was never Lucas's plan. Ford wanted Solo to die. Others wanted Lando to die. But Lucas never wanted any of that. As far as I can tell anyway.

bri
9/7/2006, 06:32 PM
You are correct. Harrison Ford thought Han should die, and Iwrin Kirshner and Gary Kurtz (I think) also thought Han (or a major character) should sacrifice him or herself in the first act of Jedi.

JohnnyMack
9/7/2006, 08:54 PM
I don't know that he was ever supposed to die, or that he was ever close to actually getting killed in Lucas' mind.

Pricetag
9/7/2006, 09:50 PM
It appears I was duped by an Internet rumor. Landowned!

mrowl
11/7/2006, 11:26 AM
Indiana Jones 4 = Dead.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20061107_lucas_killed_indiana_jones_4.html

If you wanna blame anyone for the tardiness of the fourth “Indiana Jones” film – a film many predict may never happen, if only because its been off and on more times than a kettle – you can probably take aim at George Lucas.

According to Screenwriter Frank Darabont (“The Green Mile”), the fourth film was ready to go two years ago – until Lucas decided he didn’t like his script. Considering Steven Spielberg thought the script was the best Jaunt Indy had had since ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’, it sounds like Uncle George needs his head read.

“That was terrifically frustrating”, Darabont said in an exclusive interview with CHUD. “I worked for over a year on that; I worked very close with Steven Spielberg. He was ecstatic with the result and was ready to shoot it two years ago. He was very, very happy with the script and said it was the best draft of anything since Raiders of the Lost Ark. That’s really high praise and gave me a real sense of accomplishment, especially when you love the material you’re working on as much as I love the Indiana Jones films.”

Lucas then came to Darabont and stuck a stake through his script.

“Lucas read it and said, ‘Yeah, I don’t think so, I don’t like it.’ And then he resets it to zero when Spielberg is ready to shoot it that coming year, [which] is a real kick to the nuts. You can only waste so much time and so many years of your life on experiences like that, you can only get so emotionally invested and have the rug pulled out from under you before you say enough of that.”

The proofs in “The Phantom Menace”, I believe. Throw away the key.

mdklatt
11/7/2006, 01:40 PM
Others wanted Lando to die.

:les: RACIST!

Pricetag
11/7/2006, 02:03 PM
:les: RACIST!
Heh, when it was first announced that Samuel L. Jackson was going to be in the prequel movies, I remember hearing tons of people wondering if he was going to be playing Lando's grandpa or something.

TopDawg
11/7/2006, 06:52 PM
There's only one return, and it's of the king.

I like Star Wars, but I must be out of the loop. What's all this "Han shot first" stuff?

RacerX
11/7/2006, 09:25 PM

I like Star Wars, but I must be out of the loop. What's all this "Han shot first" stuff?

:(

Frozen Sooner
11/7/2006, 09:40 PM
No, Lucas. Whedon is my master now.

SoonerTitan
11/7/2006, 09:54 PM
All I wanna know is what happened in the 20 years or so between episode III and IV (The Vader Years)?!

RacerX
11/7/2006, 10:52 PM
All I wanna know is what happened in the 20 years or so between episode III and IV (The Vader Years)?!

Betty Ford clinic.

SoonerTitan
11/7/2006, 10:55 PM
:D

GottaHavePride
11/8/2006, 12:23 AM

In the original, 1970-whatever release of Star Wars, during the scene in the cantina Han Solo shot Greedo point-blank with no warning. Killed his *** dead to get rid of him. When Lucas "digitally enhanced" the movie, they added a special effect to make it look like Greedo shot first and missed, so Han's shot was in self-defense.

So basically he eliminated the development that made the Han Solo character so interesting in the first place.

TopDawg
11/8/2006, 12:28 AM
In the original, 1970-whatever release of Star Wars, during the scene in the cantina Han Solo shot Greedo point-blank with no warning. Killed his *** dead to get rid of him. When Lucas "digitally enhanced" the movie, they added a special effect to make it look like Greedo shot first and missed, so Han's shot was in self-defense.

So basically he eliminated the development that made the Han Solo character so interesting in the first place.

Ahhhhh...yeah, that sucks.

I think a lot of the "background" more scenic digital stuff they did was cool...but changing the storyline? That's bush league.

GottaHavePride
11/8/2006, 12:29 AM
Yeah. Just like removing the assault rifles in E.T.

;)

Frozen Sooner
11/8/2006, 12:33 AM

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/pvp_hanshotfirst.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/pvp_joss_whedon.jpg

Vaevictis
11/8/2006, 12:55 AM

The Emperor consolidated power. Vader hunted down all the Jedi he could find.

A couple of Jedi got old, waiting for a couple of kids to grow up to overthrow them.

The end.

GottaHavePride
11/8/2006, 12:56 AM
I would totally wear those. You know, if I was bri. ;)

SoonerTitan
11/8/2006, 12:57 AM
The Emperor consolidated power. Vader hunted down all the Jedi he could find.

A couple of Jedi got old, waiting for a couple of kids to grow up to overthrow them.

The end.Would make for a good movie to see Vader in his prime.

Vaevictis
11/8/2006, 01:07 AM
Would make for a good movie to see Vader in his prime.

I think it would be pretty boring myself.

Vader catches a scent, tracks down a Jedi, kills him/her.

Repeat.

It would just be the same thing over and over again.

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 01:11 AM
I think it would be pretty boring myself.

Vader catches a scent, tracks down a Jedi, kills him/her.

Repeat.

It would just be the same thing over and over again.
yeah, but we'd be on the edge of our seat to see what star plays what Jedi and what color saber they have.

SoonerTitan
11/8/2006, 01:14 AM
Anything with Vader I'm there!

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 01:17 AM
Anything with Vader I'm there!

Chad Vader 1 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5410090080790279753&q=chad+vader&hl=en)
Chad Vader 2 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1461441749654695575&q=chad+vader&hl=en)
Chad Vader 3 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5037164949903587300&q=chad+vader&hl=en)
Chad Vader 4 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2389891708331636582&q=chad+vader&hl=en)

SoonerTitan
11/8/2006, 01:40 AM
Chad Vader 1 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5410090080790279753&q=chad+vader&hl=en)
Chad Vader 2 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1461441749654695575&q=chad+vader&hl=en)
Chad Vader 3 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5037164949903587300&q=chad+vader&hl=en)
Chad Vader 4 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2389891708331636582&q=chad+vader&hl=en) LOL!! Good stuff man!:D

Pricetag
11/8/2006, 01:57 PM
Vader hunted down all the Jedi he could find.
Only they killed them all off in Sith, so Vader just hung out on Star Destroyers and choked people. One of the many weak points of that movie.