PDA

View Full Version : Golden Dollar, Paper Dollar, and Worth

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2006, 06:09 PM
I just read on the US Mint's website that eliminating the dollar bill altogether and replacing it with the golden dollar coin is projected to save $500 million dollars.

Now, both are suppose to be equal to the same amount of money right? If we'd save 500m by eliminating the paper dollar then doesn't that mean that in actual worth the paper dollar is worth more?

sanantoniosooner
9/6/2006, 06:12 PM
I just read on the US Mint's website that eliminating the dollar bill altogether and replacing it with the golden dollar coin is projected to save $500 million dollars.

Now, both are suppose to be equal to the same amount of money right? If we'd save 500m by eliminating the paper dollar then doesn't that mean that in actual worth the paper dollar is worth more?
How easy is it to counterfeit gold vs paper?

PhilTLL
9/6/2006, 06:21 PM

Save $500 million in overhead, presumably over a sizable length of time, by converting the liquid money stock to coins instead of paper. I don't think it has anything to do with the worth of the currency.

StoopTroup
9/6/2006, 06:24 PM
Why can't we just switch to poker chips for currency?

http://www.kardwell.com/images/las-vegas-chips.jpg

BoogercountySooner
9/6/2006, 08:05 PM
Dadgum wallet would way alot!

royalfan5
9/6/2006, 08:32 PM
How long is it going to take them just to get computer chips implanted in our's wrists? That's what I'm waiting for.

Jerk
9/6/2006, 08:42 PM
How long is it going to take them just to get computer chips implanted in our's wrists? That's what I'm waiting for.

That would make it hard to cheat on taxes, do illegal transactions, etc, so it will probably be proposed, maybe in our lifetime.

The .gov will have to kill me first.

royalfan5
9/6/2006, 08:48 PM
That would make it hard to cheat on taxes, do illegal transactions, etc, so it will probably be proposed, maybe in our lifetime.

The .gov will have to kill me first. Whatever floats your boat. I don't have anything to hide from the government, and the convience will be great.

Frozen Sooner
9/6/2006, 08:50 PM
Whatever floats your boat. I don't have anything to hide from the government, and the convience will be great.

No, see, you've got it all wrong.

Anything that makes it harder for people to break laws is good.

Anything that makes it harder for JERK to break laws is bad.

Mixer!
9/6/2006, 08:51 PM
[Revelations 13:16] And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads.

[Revelations 13:17] And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

[Revelations 13:18] Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Just Sayin'... :pop:

royalfan5
9/6/2006, 08:52 PM
Just Sayin'... :pop:
fine, put it on the left hand to be safe. It only says right hand in the bible.

Frozen Sooner

No. The intrinsic value of each is pretty close to nil. It's just easier to make one. Since the actual value of the currency is backing of the full faith and credit of the US Government, they have equivalent value.

Now, if our currency actually had intrinsic value, we'd be talking about something else. Even then, savings on manufacuring could still be realizing without compromising intrinsic value.

sanantoniosooner
Whatever floats your boat. I don't have anything to hide from the government, and the convience will be great.
yeah......cuz only crooks woulnd't want the government to stick a GPS bank account mindcontrol termination device in them.

BoogercountySooner
9/6/2006, 08:53 PM
What the hell are you sayin?:pop:

royalfan5
9/6/2006, 08:53 PM
yeah......cuz only crooks woulnd't want the government to stick a GPS bank account mindcontrol termination device in them.
Mind control would make my life simpler. Just sayin.

Frozen Sooner
9/6/2006, 08:54 PM
yeah......cuz only crooks woulnd't want the government to monitor their conversations with their aunt in India.

Crikey, you've got it!

sanantoniosooner
9/6/2006, 08:54 PM
Mind control would make my life simpler. Just sayin.
Then go to the football board

just say'n

royalfan5
9/6/2006, 08:55 PM
Then go to the football board

just say'n
Been there, it doesn't simplfy anything.

BoogercountySooner
9/6/2006, 08:56 PM
SAS what the hell is your avatar lookin at?

sanantoniosooner
9/6/2006, 08:57 PM
SAS what the hell is your avatar lookin at?
have you not seen the movie?

BoogercountySooner
9/6/2006, 09:00 PM
George Clooney Sucks big green ones. Yea I saw the movie.

sanantoniosooner
9/6/2006, 09:04 PM
George Clooney Sucks big green ones. Yea I saw the movie.
Believe it or not, Clooney played a "character" in the movie. It wasn't a biographical film.

BoogercountySooner
9/6/2006, 09:06 PM
Looks like he's trying to sex himself!

sanantoniosooner
9/6/2006, 09:07 PM
At that particular moment, he was waking up to find his friend had been turned into a frog.

BoogercountySooner
9/6/2006, 09:09 PM
Wow my little friend never has been turned into a frog!

sanantoniosooner
9/6/2006, 09:10 PM
Wow my little friend never has been turned into a frog!
still stuck with a tadpole eh?

BoogercountySooner
9/6/2006, 09:11 PM
An Amazon Tadpole!

BoogercountySooner
9/6/2006, 09:13 PM
Hey you ever notice that guy's born on 9/2 have awesome senses of humor?

sanantoniosooner
9/6/2006, 09:15 PM
Hey you ever notice that guy's born on 9/2 have awesome senses of humor?
:)

Mongo
9/6/2006, 09:27 PM
But with the saving of a gold dollar, have the big whigs thought of the loss of coins smelted down for a new set of "grillz"?

Frozen Sooner
9/6/2006, 09:28 PM
But with the saving of a gold dollar, have the big whigs thought of the loss of coins smelted down for a new set of "grillz"?

Heh. Good point. Of course, this is another net savings for the government, as there will be less money in circulation-making the fiat money they print more valuable.

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2006, 09:39 PM
:)
There's a serious drop-off though. The ones born two days later have no sense of humor at all.

BoogercountySooner
9/6/2006, 09:44 PM
There's a serious drop-off though. The ones born two days later have no sense of humor at all.

Yea but they know their way around Branson really well!:)

proud gonzo
9/6/2006, 10:00 PM
WE THOUGHT YOU WAS A TOAD!

Jerk
9/6/2006, 10:09 PM
No, see, you've got it all wrong.

Anything that makes it harder for people to break laws is good.

Anything that makes it harder for JERK to break laws is bad.

I don't break laws, minus a few moments of surpassing the speed limit. It's just the principle of it that bothers me. Although, I will admit that I'd like to find a nice condition pre-ban 3 gallon flush toilet.

If you want to be like a cow and get your brand, then go for it. I'm sure some politician will push this idea some day "for the children."

ETA - I have a CDL w/hazmat license, a private pilots license, a concealed carry license, and a social security. .gov knows who I am and I have nothing to hide. They're not putting a chip in me, though.

Frozen Sooner
9/6/2006, 10:10 PM
I don't break laws, minus a few moments of surpassing the speed limit. It's just the principle of it that bothers me. Although, I will admit that I'd like to find a nice condition pre-ban 3 gallon flush toilet.

If you want to be like a cow and let the government listen to your conversations, go for it.

By Gum, I think you've GOT it.

Jerk
9/6/2006, 10:16 PM
By Gum, I think you've GOT it.

Whatever.

I don't call Mohammed Jihad in Pakistan asking for instructions on what my part is in the next martyrdom operation. If they're listening to my conversations, they're endanger of suffering from severe bordom.

me "Yes, honey, I'm on the Turnpike, should be home by 4:00"

her "ok, what do you want to eat tonight"

me "I don't care"

"How's Brodee doing?"

her "Fine"

Frozen Sooner
9/6/2006, 10:18 PM
Whatever.

I don't evade taxes or buy anything I'm ashamed of. If they're monitoring my financial transactions, they're endanger of suffering from severe bordom.

Man, sometimes we think so much alike it's scary.

TUSooner
9/6/2006, 10:22 PM
golden =/= gold. dohhhhh

Coins are cheaper because they last longer and don;t need to be trashed and replaced as often; it's that simple.

I'm all for eliminating the $1 bill, and I really like the Sacagawea dollar coins, but we MUST have George Washington on the $1 coin because, well, he is #1.

Jerk
9/6/2006, 10:23 PM
Man, sometimes we think so much alike it's scary.

You would seriously hate Abraham Lincoln. You should study some of the "civil rights" he restricted during the Civil War. I think we have it good now by comparison, as we are in another war but relatively free.

FDR put people in camps based on their race. That makes him worse than GWB, does it not?

So, you don't think that international phone calls from or to suspected terrorists should be monitered?

Do you think that terrorists organizations should not have their finances looked at?

TUSooner
9/6/2006, 10:27 PM
Surely you jest! If not, I'm shocked, SHOCKED.
If our revolutionary forefathers had been so docile and submissive, we'd have Queen Elizabeth on our money. :eek:

royalfan5
9/6/2006, 10:29 PM
Surely you jest! If not, I'm shocked, SHOCKED.
If our revolutionary forefathers had been so docile and submissive, we'd have Queen Elizabeth on our money. :eek:
Of course, I jest. How entertain would this thread be without it?

Jerk
9/6/2006, 10:30 PM
I don't evade taxes or buy anything I'm ashamed of.

Sure..but don't worry...

No one cares about the dildo you bought.

Next time just use cash.

Frozen Sooner
9/6/2006, 10:35 PM
You would seriously hate Abraham Lincoln. You should study some of the "civil rights" he restricted during the Civil War. I think we have it good now by comparison, as we are in another war but relatively free.

FDR put people in camps based on their race. That makes him worse than GWB, does it not?

So, you don't think that international phone calls from or to suspected terrorists should be monitered?

Do you think that terrorists organizations should not have their finances looked at?

So what are you frightened of, Jerk?

If you're not doing anything wrong, why should you want to hide your finances?

Why is this a problem?

We're at WAR, Jerk! What if the government thought you were funnelling money to terrorists!?!?! Why shouldn't they be able to just look without obtaining a warrant?

What makes someone a "suspected" terrorist, Jerk? The President's say-so? The Director of Homeland Security? Some guy at the FBI with an axe to grind?

For what it's worth, if the government were sponsoring one of those chips, I wouldn't get one. However, it ain't going to be the government who does this. It'll be VISA.

And yes, Abraham Lincoln suspended habeas corpus. And he did so publicly, with full public scrutiny of his actions, knowing that he would be questioned on it.

FDR interred many innocent people of Asian and Native American descent (look it up, it wasn't just the Japanese). It was wrong when he did it and history has judged those actions fairly harshly. But you know what? He also did THAT out in the open, in the glare of the public eye.

Frozen Sooner
9/6/2006, 10:36 PM
Sure..but don't worry...

No one cares about the dildo you bought.

Next time just use cash.

Wow. Nice ad hominem attack. Your argument must be going well.

Post reported.

Jerk
9/7/2006, 05:55 AM
Wow. Nice ad hominem attack. Your argument must be going well.

Post reported.

Nah, I was tired, and the snarky comments got old.

sanantoniosooner
9/7/2006, 06:57 AM
Froz has trouble distinguishing between a monitoring of transactions/calls and implanting things into people.