PDA

View Full Version : Will Isaiah Stanback cause the D any problems?

achiro
9/6/2006, 05:43 PM
As a "dual threat qb" will the D shut him down? Granted it was against San Jose last week but he had a 64% completion rate for 168 yards and rushed for 102 yards. he's listed as 6'3" 205 pounds.
I have never seen him play so I don't have a clue. I also know what OU has done with dual threat qb's in the past. So what do you think?:pop:

bri
9/6/2006, 05:48 PM
He'll get some yards and make some plays, especially if we're still overpursuing and missing tackles, but we should have a gameplan in place to keep the damage to a minimum.

Now, if they have a white backup, and HE gets in the game...forget it. We're f*cked. :D

The Maestro
9/6/2006, 05:49 PM
I think the overrunning plays shouldn't be a problem with this guy. He is apparently incredibly fast...I think we overrun the slow white boys, not this guy.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/6/2006, 06:16 PM
I remember people (espn) saying that Iowa state's dual threat QB Seneca Wallace would have his Heisman campaign jump started with a big game against OU.........

After the game he fell out of the Heisman race for the rest of the season.

SoonerMooner
9/6/2006, 06:43 PM
I remember people (espn) saying that Iowa state's dual threat QB Seneca Wallace would have his Heisman campaign jump started with a big game against OU.........

And I think we all realize that this D is nowhere near the standard of the D that held down Seneca. So it's pretty tough to make that comparison. So far, we have the Venables Marshmellow defense.

sooner94
9/6/2006, 07:07 PM
Stanback is a good athlete, but he is not a worldbeater as a QB.

His passing ability is not that good IMO, especially against a D with the caliber of athletes OU has.

I'm not worried about this guy.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/6/2006, 07:23 PM
And I think we all realize that this D is nowhere near the standard of the D that held down Seneca. So it's pretty tough to make that comparison. So far, we have the Venables Marshmellow defense.

Well im glad to see you have written off our D for the rest of the season...

As a matter of fact lets just throw in the towell on the entire program

birddog
9/6/2006, 07:25 PM
how dare anyone have any optimism for this defense. it is unexcusable.:rolleyes: stanback will have stains on his back after saturday when we roll him up a time or ten.

Ash
9/6/2006, 08:10 PM
Stanback is a gifted athlete, but not an all-world QB. I'm sure he'll get yards rushing and bust a couple of long plays. His passing numbers weren't all that impressive considering the competition.

No matter what we think of OUs D, I think we can agree they're better than SJSUs - Stanback isn't going 100+ pass, 100+ rush on this D. I think he's going to have a tough time passing the ball and limited success on the ground.

daddywarbucks
9/6/2006, 08:41 PM
First five plays on D have Ruuuuffuuuss bust through the line and plant his butt about a foot in the dirt....im ok with the penalties....sure would be funny to watch

SoonerMooner
9/6/2006, 09:12 PM
Well im glad to see you have written off our D for the rest of the season...

As a matter of fact lets just throw in the towell on the entire program

Entire season? What part of the words "so far" do you not understand?:rolleyes:

TheUnnamedSooner
9/6/2006, 09:16 PM
From what I've seen (which isn't too much) from last year, if he can complete some passes and make our d respect the pass, he just might have some success scrambling.

The Weis Stuff
9/6/2006, 09:22 PM
Stanback could be a pretty good QB. However, Washington is terribly thin as they only have 70 or so players on scholarship. Willingham and his staff are notoriously lazy recruiters.

The sooners should have a much easier time with the Huskies than they did with UAB.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/6/2006, 09:54 PM
Entire season? What part of the words "so far" do you not understand?:rolleyes:

Internet sarcasm....Give it a try, its neato burrito

TheUnnamedSooner
9/6/2006, 10:08 PM
mmm...burrito...

goingoneight
9/6/2006, 10:23 PM
Will Sam What's-his-face cause OU's "best defense under Stoops" problems? Seriously, folks, two seasons of sloppy tackling and chickens running around with their heads cut off as OUr secondary and you really bought into the hype? We're deep on Defense, but certainly not Stoops' best. I will be extremely tough to ever top 2000-2003. I'd like you to watch the RRS from 2000, the FSU Orange Bowl in 2001, the 2002 BIG 12 Championship Game, the 2003 OU/TX game... tell me after you've watched them that this years defense can even fart in their general direction. I really hope we pull it off, but like I stated in the offseason, it wouldn't surprise me to see us bumbling on D again. We're always good enough to be ranked, but I also think as long as Brent and BJ are running the D show we'll be holding on for a miracle like Saint Ingram pulled off in the Holiday Bowl, or like Saint Rufus pulled off to take that little option freak out of last week's game.

GDC
9/7/2006, 08:05 AM
Washington's QB poses familiar option threats
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
9/7/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Isaiah Stanback is faster than UAB's Sam Hunt was last weekend.
NORMAN -- It's clear how the Oklahoma Sooners felt about their defensive debut against UAB last week.

"I get tired of what guys are supposed to be. They need to do it," coach Bob Stoops said after his Sooners allowed UAB 115 yards after missed tackles to help turn the game into a 24-17 near-upset. "There's some fundamental issues that we need to get corrected."

It's clear where this week's practice sessions were headed.

"Usually when they demand something, they get what they want," linebacker Lewis Baker said of OU's staff.

It's clear who paid the price.

"Now the scout team gets punished," defensive coordinator Brent Venables said of the poor freshmen and walk-ons imitating Washington all week. "It comes down to, 'OK, guys, we've assumed wrong, coming to balance and being in position and blowing a quick whistle and go to the next play. Now it's butt him up, tackle him, throw him to the ground. Let's see you finish the play.'

"Time after time after time across the board. There's been more of that."

What's unclear is how this will translate to Owen Field Saturday.

As Venables put it: "We don't

have Isaiah Stanback around here."

Stanback is the 6-3, 215-pound quarterback whose sprinter's speed and pitcher's arm forms the foundation of Washington's offense.

"Options, quarterback zone reads, quarterback run game," Venables said.

Sounds like what UAB ran to alarming success last week, only with a quarterback with average speed and average moves. Sam Hunt rushed for much of his 65 yards by simply leaning forward and not going down until enough Sooners finally finished the tackle.

"I'm sure (the Huskies) are licking their chops," OU co-defensive coordinator Bobby Jack Wright said. "I'm sure they're looking at (the option) saying, 'Oh boy.'

"And I'm looking at it and going, 'Oh my God.' Because this guy (Stanback), when he pulls it down, he's running a whole lot faster than that guy from UAB was."

What must the Sooners change between last Saturday and the coming one?

"We have to react quicker to our keys," defensive end Larry Birdine said. "We've been going to the drawing board, sharpening up our keys on the screens and the zone reads and the options."

In a sense, the Sooners must also be slower. They must be patient and avoid overrunning in their pursuit of Stanback or his option pitch men.

Mostly, though, they must rediscover the most fundamental defensive skill of all.

"It's all about positioning on the football, coming downhill and making sure you strike somebody," middle linebacker Zach Latimer said.

Having dealt with Vince Young the past three years, the Sooners are familiar with athletic marvels at quarterback.

They've seen a team construct an offense around that type of playmaker. And, aside from last year's Red River defeat, it hasn't hurt them much.

"The zone read didn't evolve the past weekend," Venables said. "We've played the schemes the same way, and been outstanding defending it over the years. It just takes guys with great discipline. It takes focus."

The Sooners had neither last week.

They plan on getting both back this week, and bringing them to Saturday's game.

"We know we can be a great defense," Baker said, " but we still have to prove it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected]/

OUMallen
9/7/2006, 09:21 AM

That season was amazing insofar as OU's D stopping Heisman candidates. I forgot who all it was, but we stopped the campaigns of:
1. Seneca Wallace
2. Chris Brown (Colorado's RB, starts for the Titans)
3. Whoever UT's QB was, I guess Simms
4. Whoever TT's QB was, I guess Kingsbury

We thought about dressing as grim reapers, each of us holding tombstones of player's heisman hopes.

GDC
9/7/2006, 01:00 PM
Know the Foe: Washington Huskies
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
9/7/2006

Record: 1-0 overall

Coach: Tyrone Willingham (second year, 3-9; 12th year overall, 68-64-1 overall)

Web site: www.GoHuskies.com

Offense

Formation: Spread option

Statistics: Sixth nationally in rushing (300.0 ypg), 70th in passing (168.0 ypg), 19th in total offense (468.0 ypg) and 31st in scoring (35.0 ppg).

Top players: QB Isaiah Stanback had 102 yards rushing, 168 yards passing and two TDs against San Jose State. RB Kenny James gained 53 yards and a TD, and backup Louis Rankin had 145 and two TDs. TE Johnnie Kirton (6-3, 270) wins a three-way tie for job because of injuries to the other two.

Defense

Formation: 4-3

Statistics: 15th in rushing defense (50.0 ypg), 104th in pass defense (323.0 ypg), 80th in total defense (373.0 ypg), 81st in scoring defense (81.0 ppg).

Top players: DE Greyson Gunheim had three tackles for loss versus San Jose State, including one sack, and forced a fumble. OLB Scott White, who lost his job as inside linebacker and is now a starter on the outside, made five tackles against SJSU. CB Dashon Goldson was a starting FS last year but is questionable with injury.

Special teams

Statistics: 10th in net punting (45.7), 50th in punt returns (6.5), 76th in kickoff returns (16.7).

Top players: P Sean Douglass averaged 45.7 yards on three punts against San Jose State. PK Michael Braunstein didn't attempt a FG last week.

Notable

Huskies TE / special teams coach Bob Simmons was head coach at Oklahoma State from 1995-2000 and went 3-3 against the Sooners -- the first OSU coach to beat OU three times since Lynn Waldorf in the 1930s. Bob Stoops is 0-2 lifetime against the Huskies, one as a player at Iowa and one as a Kansas State assistant..

crawfish
9/7/2006, 01:25 PM
We seem to handle quick, tall, athletic black QB's with strong arms pretty well. We tend to have trouble with the tall, quick, white QB's who don't pass well.

Go figure.

sooner969
9/7/2006, 03:31 PM
Let's hope this one doesn't play white but run black. That could be a lethal combination.

birddog
9/7/2006, 04:22 PM
Let's hope this one doesn't play white but run black. That could be a lethal combination.
racist much?

sooner969
9/7/2006, 04:55 PM
Read all the posts much?

Or are you too worried with being my biggest fan?

OK2LA
9/7/2006, 05:03 PM
We seem to handle quick, tall, athletic black QB's with strong arms pretty well. We tend to have trouble with the tall, quick, white QB's who don't pass well.

Go figure.

Simple -

We're racist

4everasooner
9/7/2006, 05:10 PM
He made alot of mistakes last year when he left the pocket, but that was last year. He played some weak Pac 10 D's that do not have the LB and CB speed that we do, I only see good things happening if he has got to leave the pocket, and he will.

sooner969
9/7/2006, 05:11 PM
Simple -

We're racist

LOL, I like your style...